• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I just realized that whatever Sakurai Present: Pyra&Mythra we're getting has already been recorded, either in January or December. And that's crazy when you think how close Steve, Sephi and Pyra/Mythra are to each others.
And probably FP10's has been done by now, or shortly in the future I'd wager.
EEEE! THIS IS SO EXCITING!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Don't get too excited buckaroo, we're probably waiting until June for CP10, barring an unforeseen curveball that no one saw coming.

Even then, it's still surprising to see how after a seemingly slow startup to FP2 with the gaps between Byleth to Min Min to Steve, we're suddenly getting characters 2 to 3 months apart from one another. I'm easily excitable and quick to make assumptions, so thanks for keeping me in check.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Just to clarify, I don't actually think that Nintendo hate Namco, I was just making a joke about the fact that they have so many little content in Smash and some smaller franchise got priority over them.

(thought it was obvious it was a joke but some people took it a bit too seriosuly).

Paraster

Smash Lord
This doom and gloom around Tales because it appeals to the same crowd as Xenoblade has me thinking: what characters would have the broadest appeal with the fewest overlap between the rest of FP2? I think Crash is the most obvious choice since he’s mega popular & we don’t have a platforming character yet, but the other one could be a lot of things. What do y’all think?
I know I keep pushing Quote, but I'd argue he fits the bill at least decently well.
I admit he's not the biggest-name character, but he'd appeal to indie enthusiasts, platforming fans (arguably Metroidvania fans too depending on how you define the game), and people who like playing gunners/full-on zoners.
Indie enthusiasts is most notable to me; thus far, they're only being served by Mii costumes and maybe Steve (who a lot of people think doesn't even count nowadays).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I know I keep pushing Quote, but I'd argue he fits the bill at least decently well.
I admit he's not the biggest-name character, but he'd appeal to indie enthusiasts, platforming fans (arguably Metroidvania fans too depending on how you define the game), and people who like playing gunners/full-on zoners.
Indie enthusiasts is most notable to me; thus far, they're only being served by Mii costumes and maybe Steve (who a lot of people think doesn't even count nowadays).
Yeah, I've had a hunch for an indie rep for a while. My first pick would be Reimu for how much Touhou covers, but Quote and Shovel Knight fwork just as well if we want a more conventional option; The former as a legacy character and the latter as a modern success. Though, assuming ATs are fully off the table, that would just leave Reimu and Quote.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
This doom and gloom around Tales because it appeals to the same crowd as Xenoblade has me thinking: what characters would have the broadest appeal with the fewest overlap between the rest of FP2? I think Crash is the most obvious choice since he’s mega popular & we don’t have a platforming character yet, but the other one could be a lot of things. What do y’all think?
Crash, as you stated, and Master Chief. We don't have an FPS character yet, and Chief's the most recognizable by far

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
You pay for them with countless hours of grinding all in a futile attempt to pull KOS-MOS.
Funnily enough, my ex-boyfriend was mad at me for pulling KOS-MOS on a Common Core before I entered the final area when we were playing separately together. Now I have both KOS-MOS and T-elos in my New Game+ playthrough~
That's a blatant ****ing lie.
I'd say a half-lie, Link in Soul Calibur II was the reason a LOT of people got into the series initially..I can only imagine how many would have gotten in had Namco's original plan for Cloud in the PlayStation 2 version had come to fruition..I know I would have double dipped.
Oh **** a small video leak of the next Smash presentation just dropped, watch at your own risk:

While they aren't a character I want, that moveset and especially Final Smash is inspired!
Not gonna lie, having everyone pick someone to eject for Imposter's Final Smash is a pretty novel idea.
I know, right?
Hmm..pretty much the only characters that wouldn't overlap with anyone else in Fighter Pass 2 would be either Cartoony Characters, Gunners, or Western Reps..so the characters I'd say that wouldn't overlap with anyone else in the Pass would be..
  • Master Chief
  • Doomguy
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Rayman
  • Shantae

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Quick question. Who would you pick as the final two characters?

Realistically, I’d go with Bandana Dee and Crash.

In my fantasy realm, I’d go with Sora and Crash.
Sora and Phoenix Wright.
I'm riding the Sora Train until the end baby.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
For me, any Capcom character and either Crash or Master Chief.

With how many IPs Capcom has, I kinda feel like it needs one more character.

And Crash is my most wanted, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be okay trading him off for Chief.

"Master Chief? You mind telling me where you're going with that envelope?"

"Sir, I'm going to Smash."

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace

Tough call. I’d probably go with Phoenix Wright and Ryu Hayabusa, though in my total fantasy realm I’m adding muddy mole and pissing everyone off lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I'm going to get bonked for it but...Even after Sephiroth and Steve, I feel like Sakurai has one more Trap Card in his Spell and Trap Zone to use and explode the Internet at E3.
And the only characters amazingly big enough for that, that I can think of is Master Chief or Sora... :bobomb:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Personal bias? Reimu and Adol, no question.

In terms of "deserving," I'd have either Lloyd or Master Chief at E3, then Ayumi as the last character.

Lloyd finally gives us a second Bamco rep, represents one of the biggest JRPG series, and I want to see the reactions to the Mii pattern being broken at the last second. Master Chief would be earth-shattering, helps give people a breather from the anime-style RPGs, and represents the FPS genre, as well as giving Microsoft a character for every E3 (Assuming Steve was meant for 2020's show before it was cancelled).

As for Ayumi, she's kind of an interesting case. She makes for a good retro rep and a promotional pick at the same time, but the main reason is because she was planned way, way back, all the way back in 64. This makes her one of the oldest planned characters, and the oldest one who hasn't joined the roster yet. With the seeming theme of second chances and Famicom Detective Club coming to the West for the first time, it's the best situation she's ever been in.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm going to get bonked for it but...Even after Sephiroth and Steve, I feel like Sakurai has one more Trap Card in his Spell and Trap Zone to use and explode the Internet at E3.
And the only characters amazingly big enough for that, that I can think of is Master Chief or Sora... :bobomb:
Assuming Covid ****ed **** up and that Steve actually was meant for E3, that would mean 3 years in a row of Microsoft characters.

That would be kinda crazy ngl.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Does he mention anything particularly interesting for speculation?
Papa gets an insane amount of hate round these parts for basically reporting the speculation to the many people who aren't glued to these forums. So no, nothing that we haven't already discussed on here, just giving his two cents on current theories.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Realistically, Crash for E3 and for the last character I'm bouncing back between Monster Hunter, Reimu, Ryu Hayabusa, Arle, Phoenix Wright or a Pokemon.

If I had my way, Crash and Phoenix.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Bless you for staying on the Sora train as it careens ever closer right off the edge of the cliff.

Personally I'd be very happy to see Chief. And fwiw, I do agree that we're set for one more big boy. My predictions for this year were one more mid-tier, one more "headliner", and one more highly divisive choice (excluding the inevitable hate FP11 is predestined for).

And I guess Pyra & Mythra could qualify as either the former or the latter, really.

Probably Isaac and then I'd just end it as I drove away, laughing and flipping everyone off.

Failing that, I'd be happy to see either Chief or 2B. Most of what I want is basically deconfirmed. Even those two seem pretty unlikely by virtue of existing representation.

Man though.

Let's say Chief was revealed at E3.

I don't care who it is, there's just no ****ing way to follow that up(Let's just take Sora off the table for this train of thought). Everyone will feel like a lesser inclusion compared to goddamn Master Chief.
Good thing the only one after that would be a character who is going to get hate regardless.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Man though.

Let's say Chief was revealed at E3.

I don't care who it is, there's just no ****ing way to follow that up(Let's just take Sora off the table for this train of thought). Everyone will feel like a lesser inclusion compared to goddamn Master Chief.
Shroob forgetting the real last fighter from the pass I see.

:troll:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Bless you for staying on the Sora train as it careens ever closer right off the edge of the cliff.
I'm a man of words.
I'll ride that train until the end, but I'm not delusional to claim "WE GOT ROBBED" or "URGH SAKURAI HATES US"

I'll show support for my character like I've been doing for years, and I think he has a good shot, he's like I said, probably the final Internet Breaking Third Party with Master Chief.

I'm a man of simple idea, this is a video games, with so many games I love already in, so many characters that I got to have adventures with throught the years, from Final Fantasy, to Sonic, To pokémon, Zelda, Persona, Dragon Quest, Fatal Fury and such.

In the end, I won't be mad if my favorite character won't be in. I'll be happy for what we got and that, just for my passion with video games, because I supported one character that people once upon a time felt like dying for the mere sight of a Mickey mouse Keychain back in Smash 4 alongside Cloud Strife (boy, I remember when people felt like having an anevrism if you said anything but Geno or Black Mage as a SE rep) and today is one if not the most asked Characters for Smash right now.

And I'll be happy that my silly passion for one Company (Square-Enix) and love for JRPG made me stick around and meet lots of incredible people in those threads! Just like you!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Brian(Quest 64)
Fulgore(Killer Instinct)

I'd say Agumon, but I want them more. I could argue he's at least realistic. Crash is my other realistic pick. However, considering we have two Microsoft characters, Agumon and Brian also would be a bit more diverse I guess. Not that company diversity is a bit deal?

I'd say a half-lie, Link in Soul Calibur II was the reason a LOT of people got into the series initially..I can only imagine how many would have gotten in had Namco's original plan for Cloud in the PlayStation 2 version had come to fruition..I know I would have double dipped.
Fun fact: I already played the Soul Series and picked up the GameCube one because it's the system I owned at the time. I picked up the Xbox version for Spawn. I only don't have the PS2 version, and I see no reason to avoid it now. I didn't get both the Xbox and PS version of 4 because of DLC options. I should now, since I doubt I'll get Vader via online(though if I can, I won't pointlessly pick up a different version). I do have it's re-vsion on the PSP, though, and it's cool.

I rarely pick up remakes/ports/etc. unless it has legit changes or the original is barely playable. I have the remakes of FF1 on the PlayStation for that reason alone. In fact, I used to solely do this for Zelda and Quest alone. Zelda I stopped cause honestly... it added nothing I cared about. SS HD is the first one with new controls, which is a major "Ooh!" to me. I can't work with most of the Wii Remote stuff with the exception of the Wii Series games(sometimes) and Super Paper Mario. I found it mostly awkward in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Galaxy 1 and 2 was just... "innovative controls are fine, but classic options are good too." Though I will say the first actual game(s) where I couldn't do anything due to the control option was the DS Zelda games. I'm tempted to find a way to try the CD-i games and to see if I can control it better. Probably just as bad or worse, but at least one person online actually said he found those controls better. I'm pretty sure they're almost as awkward, though, so it's just more the fact that the stylus controls weren't that responsive and less so an awkward control scheme? But it's been a while, so.

Shroob

Sup?

Personally I'd be very happy to see Chief. And fwiw, I do agree that we're set for one more big boy. My predictions for this year were one more mid-tier, one more "headliner", and one more highly divisive choice (excluding the inevitable hate FP11 is predestined for).

And I guess Pyra & Mythra could qualify as either the former or the latter, really.

Probably Isaac and then I'd just end it as I drove away, laughing and flipping everyone off.

Failing that, I'd be happy to see either Chief or 2B. Most of what I want is basically deconfirmed. Even those two seem pretty unlikely by virtue of existing representation.

Good thing the only one after that would be a character who is going to get hate regardless.
I feel like hate is inevitable of course, but I feel like there's different levels to it, if you catch my drift.

Whoever is last will always get hate, but let's say in this scenario we have Chief as CP10 and a random character as CP11, I feel pretty confident that if Chief were CP11, of course he'd get the expected "What, that's who we're ending on?" hate, but also, it's Master Chief, he's gonna break the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom