• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like hate is inevitable of course, but I feel like there's different levels to it, if you catch my drift.

Whoever is last will always get hate, but let's say in this scenario we have Chief as CP10 and a random character as CP11, I feel pretty confident that if Chief were CP11, of course he'd get the expected "What, that's who we're ending on?" hate, but also, it's Master Chief, he's gonna break the internet.
That is true, but it's also the case that the characters who would generate the least amount of hate don't seem likely to be the final character provided.

Like, Chief wouldn't cause that much hate. Crash wouldn't cause that much hate. But it also seems unlikely that's how we wrap things up, especially when the previous character is in the spot of what seems to be the token E3 one.

Of course even past that there are strata. I'm just saying if you're already going to get hate, you may as well follow Master Chief.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personal bias? Reimu and Adol, no question.

In terms of "deserving," I'd have either Lloyd or Master Chief at E3, then Ayumi as the last character.

Lloyd finally gives us a second Bamco rep, represents one of the biggest JRPG series, and I want to see the reactions to the Mii pattern being broken at the last second. Master Chief would be earth-shattering, helps give people a breather from the anime-style RPGs, and represents the FPS genre, as well as giving Microsoft a character for every E3 (Assuming Steve was meant for 2020's show before it was cancelled).

As for Ayumi, she's kind of an interesting case. She makes for a good retro rep and a promotional pick at the same time, but the main reason is because she was planned way, way back, all the way back in 64. This makes her one of the oldest planned characters, and the oldest one who hasn't joined the roster yet. With the seeming theme of second chances and Famicom Detective Club coming to the West for the first time, it's the best situation she's ever been in.
She's very viable for Base game of the Next Smash roster, but I don't think she has good shot for FP2

The games are confirmed to be coming here, but I still think it's too much of a gamble to go with Ayumi and expect people to pay money for her in DLC. Yes I'm sure many people got the Fighter pass, but the characters also got to sell on their own for people that Buy Separately. She's still Niche, She's still very much a darkhorse in Smash Speculation, and all that jazz

She works better in a Smash 6 situation since she'll come with other very popular characters, plus the whole Base game, There's a reason that Retro characters typically aren't DLC. It's much easier to invest in characters like Ayumi when they are sold with not only other Very popular Newcomers, but also a Whole game

No she's not impossible to be in Fighter Pass 2, I'm just giving my thoughts here

I'm going to get bonked for it but...Even after Sephiroth and Steve, I feel like Sakurai has one more Trap Card in his Spell and Trap Zone to use and explode the Internet at E3.
And the only characters amazingly big enough for that, that I can think of is Master Chief or Sora... :bobomb:
I feel like the level between Steve and Sephiroth is kind of varied though. I figure Steve was a bigger deal than Sephiroth, and not even including the the Twitter shutdown thing since Twitter was already acting up when Steve was revealed

Like what do you consider a character to explode the Internet?

In any case, I do think we could get another Big character as well, but Personally I don't think it would be Chief or Sora.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Speaking of Tales, has this been posted yet?
It's a poll done by Netorabo (it's an otaku focused news site).

It only had valid votes of 7,737 so it wasn't that big of a poll but here are the results.
The question was "Who is your favorite Tales of protagonist?"

1 Yuri Lowell 1669
2 Luke fon Fabre 950
3 Reid Hershel 693
4 Lloyd Irving 657
5 Ludger Will Kresnik 555
6 Velvet Crowe 536
7 Asbel Lhant 441
8 Cress Albane 386
9 Stahn Aileron 382
10 Sorey 232
11 Milla Maxwell 180
12 Emil Castagnier 162
13 Veigue Lungberg 143
14 Jude Mathis 143
15 Kyle Dunamis 140
16 Ruca Milda 124
17 Senel Coolidge 90
18 Kor Meteor 58
19 Caius Qualls 49
20 Allen 48
21 Kanata Hjuger 38
22 Ix Nieves 34
Others 27

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

It only had valid votes of 7,737 so it wasn't that big of a poll but here are the results.

1 Yuri Lowell 1669
2 Luke fon Fabre 950
3 Reid Hershel 693
4 Lloyd Irving 657
6 Velvet Crowe 536
7 Asbel Lhant 441
8 Cress Albane 386
9 Stahn Aileron 382
10 Sorey 232
11 Milla Maxwell 180
12 Emil Castagnier 162
13 Veigue Lungberg 143
14 Jude Mathis 143
15 Kyle Dunamis 140
16 Ruca Milda 124
17 Senel Coolidge 90
18 Kor Meteor 58
19 Caius Qualls 49
20 Allen 48
21 Kanata Hjuger 38
22 Ix Nieves 34
Others 27
RIP my mans Ix Nieves.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
She's very viable for Base game of the Next Smash roster, but I don't think she has good shot for FP2

The games are confirmed to be coming here, but I still think it's too much of a gamble to go with Ayumi and expect people to pay money for her in DLC. Yes I'm sure many people got the Fighter pass, but the characters also got to sell on their own for people that Buy Separately. She's still Niche, She's still very much a darkhorse in Smash Speculation, and all that jazz

She works better in a Smash 6 situation since she'll come with other very popular characters, plus the whole Base game, There's a reason that Retro characters typically aren't DLC. It's much easier to invest in characters like Ayumi when they are sold with not only other Very popular Newcomers, but also a Whole game

No she's not impossible to be in Fighter Pass 2, I'm just giving my thoughts here
Yeah, she would be a bit of a stretch. Still, Smash has a habit of going for the unlikely picks. I tend to lower my standards a little in terms of speculation, since that casts a wider net and has a better chance of being right. Not that much more, but every little bit helps.

That, and it's not like Nintendo would need to worry about any losses from the deals. FDC is their IP, and they can afford to take that risk. Help soften any deals they might have made with other companies. And as you said, many people already bought the whole pass. We've gotten the heavy-hitters and fan-favorites already, and we'll probably get another around E3, so Nintendo can afford to place their "disappointing" pick at the end.

1 Yuri Lowell 1669
2 Luke fon Fabre 950
3 Reid Hershel 693
4 Lloyd Irving 657
6 Velvet Crowe 536
7 Asbel Lhant 441
8 Cress Albane 386
9 Stahn Aileron 382
10 Sorey 232
11 Milla Maxwell 180
12 Emil Castagnier 162
13 Veigue Lungberg 143
14 Jude Mathis 143
15 Kyle Dunamis 140
16 Ruca Milda 124
17 Senel Coolidge 90
18 Kor Meteor 58
19 Caius Qualls 49
20 Allen 48
21 Kanata Hjuger 38
22 Ix Nieves 34
Others 27
Yep, seems about right. Yuri is the most popular for the Tales fanbase, Lloyd is most popular for Smash. Yuri dominating the Tales-based poll makes sense.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I feel like hate is inevitable of course, but I feel like there's different levels to it, if you catch my drift.

Whoever is last will always get hate, but let's say in this scenario we have Chief as CP10 and a random character as CP11, I feel pretty confident that if Chief were CP11, of course he'd get the expected "What, that's who we're ending on?" hate, but also, it's Master Chief, he's gonna break the internet.
"why are we ending on Chief?"
"haha Finish the Fight go brrr"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok, what would y’all say the odds we get the last two born revealed at e3? Personally, unless they do another final smash direct I doubt we will get that.

Also I am listening to a podcast rn, anyone want to tldr the Papagenos video for me?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok, what would y’all say the odds we get the last two born revealed at e3? Personally, unless they do another final smash direct I doubt we will get that.

Also I am listening to a podcast rn, anyone want to tldr the Papagenos video for me?
Nintendo loves the focus on Smash and by spreading it out people talk about it more often and more in general, so there's no chance we're getting both at E3. COVID may have thrown a wrench in the works, but considering Steve's trailer just got dropped with a mere day of notice 4 months after Min Min, I think it's safe to say dual reveals aren't happening. It's too good on a marketing standpoint to consider doing dual reveals again

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Maybe? Normally I’d think Nintendo would spread this out, but Smash 4 ended with a double reveal. So its never off the table entirely.

I still see it as unlikely though. Especially since E3 can’t stop shooting itself in the foot.

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Quick question. Who would you pick as the final two characters?

Realistically, I’d go with Bandana Dee and Crash.

In my fantasy realm, I’d go with Sora and Crash.
My two top picks right now are definitely Lloyd Irving and Adol Christin. There are other characters that I would be excited about, but besides them, there isn't anyone that I would actually pop off for (aside from Geno, but I've given up hope). My wish for now is just that Lloyd's mii costume doesn't come back with Pyra and Mythra, but I'm not feeling very hopeful for that.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace

Realistically, Edelgard and Timeskip Edelgard.

Only in fantasies, IDK something like Crash Bandicoot and Ryu Hayabusa

Koopaul

Smash Champion

Man I would love a double reveal. I'm kinda done. I just want Smash Ultimate to be done. I'm exhausted.

Shroob

Sup?
Man I would love a double reveal. I'm kinda done. I just want Smash Ultimate to be done. I'm exhausted.
I envy the people who still have gas in the tank, tbh.

I've been on the speculation wagon since Brawl, but at least with Brawl, we had a decently long gap between it and Smash 4.

We had 2 years between Bayo coming out in Smash 4 and Ultimate's reveal, lol. I've been here since Smash 4 and I'm on the verge of speculation burnout. I'm hanging on until the end, because I do believe that FP2 is all she wrote, but god if they announce a 3.... Well, I know I'm gonna stick around even if it causes burnout lol.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Yep, seems about right. Yuri is the most popular for the Tales fanbase, Lloyd is most popular for Smash. Yuri dominating the Tales-based poll makes sense.
Not to put down on Lloyd, but I'm actually surprise how Lloyd is doing so well in recent popularity polls and happy to see him established the real fanbase in Japan too.

The official Tales poplarity poll has been a thing since 2003.
In the 2003's 1st poll, Lloyd didn't even make into the top 20. Tales of Symphonia was released this year in Japan and was a well-received title, so the characters were very popular at that time (even to this date).
In this poll, Kratos made in 3rd, Presea in 7th, Colette in 9th, Zelos in 10th, and Genis in 16th. But no Lloyd.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/chrranking.html
In the 2005's 2nd poll, Kratos in the 1st place, Zelos in 3rd, and Presea in 5th, Colette in 7th. Lloyd was in 16th place.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/character_popularity_vote_2nd/
In the 2006's 3rd poll, Symphonia characters slightly dropped their ranks, but still Kratos and Zelos both made into the top 10. Lloyd was in 24th this time.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/ch_ranking_3rd/index2.php

But in the 2008's 4th poll, Lloyd suddenly made himself into the 4th place, beating Kratos and Zelos.
https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/ch_ranking_4th/result.php
At that time, Lloyd was kind of a meme character in the Tales community for being unpopular despite he is a protagonist. The reason he boosted his popularity was because of Masaya Onosaka (VA of Zelos) and Tomokazu Seki(VA of Stahn). They said on TV show called "Viva ☆ Tales Of" that if Lloyd Irving somehow makes into the top 3 in the upcoming poll, they'll go full naked on the stage of Jump Festa 2009 (The result of the poll was announced on that stage).
Here is the article about it from Dengeki Online.

They did this fist pump because they didn't have to strip naked. See the towels on the table? Those were the towels they brought "just in case".
This event was very controversial in the community. Some people thought the poll was rigged by trolls. Some people actively disliking Lloyd is coming from this era.
Since then, voting for Lloyd to make him into the top 3 was a thing for a while but his best was this 4th poll. In the 5th poll, he was placed in 5th, but in the 6th poll, was in 8th place, the 9th poll, down to 9th place. This meme movement was clearly getting old at that time. I don't think newer fans of Tales don't even know about this event.

Lloyd today is doing fairly well in recent popularity polls. His exposure was indeed increased since this event, memes or not, but in the end, it helped his fanbase to grow in Japan too.
I also think him getting Mii costumed in Sm4sh was a big deal as well. That really made Japanese Tales fans to see him as an actual candidate to represent the Tales of series as a whole. He was from Game Cube so Smash fans were asking for him since Brawl anyway, but still making the people from outside of Smash to realize Lloyd isn't just a meme character anymore but actually a popular character was a huge step forward for him.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh man, there's finally a Rival Showdown video I can reference to show of Kunio's insane moveset from that game!

Making a Smash moveset from that would be a breeze!

Last edited:

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice

1 Yuri Lowell 1669
2 Luke fon Fabre 950
3 Reid Hershel 693
4 Lloyd Irving 657
6 Velvet Crowe 536
7 Asbel Lhant 441
8 Cress Albane 386
9 Stahn Aileron 382
10 Sorey 232
11 Milla Maxwell 180
12 Emil Castagnier 162
13 Veigue Lungberg 143
14 Jude Mathis 143
15 Kyle Dunamis 140
16 Ruca Milda 124
17 Senel Coolidge 90
18 Kor Meteor 58
19 Caius Qualls 49
20 Allen 48
21 Kanata Hjuger 38
22 Ix Nieves 34
Others 27
Hmm, speaking of poll, here one from Japan Pokemon Day asking on Twitter for everyone on who their favorite Pokemon is by using a hashtag with the Pokemon Japanese name and にきめた attach to the end of the name. From the official site: https://pokemonday.pokemon.co.jp.

Right now, as of this writing, this is the current Top 30 (from 238,622 votes), and not the final result:

1 Dedenne 29,405
2 Buzzwole 24,258
3 Snivy 12,788
4 Magnemite 11,555
5 Cinccino 10,537
6 Pikachu 9,137
7 Eevee 7,819
8 Flygon 7,599
9 Barbaracle 7,584
10 Sableye 7,155
11 Luxray 7,070
12 Oshawott 6,327
13 Chandelure 5,769
14 Umbreon 4,824
15 Scolipede 4,781
16 Greninja 4,757
17 Piplup 4,628
18 Rayquaza 4,395
19 Whismur 4,254
20 Syvleon 4,180
21 Glaceon 4,159
22 Vulpix/Alola Form Vulpix 4,084
23 Empoleon 4,061
24 Alcremie 3,688
25 Inteleon 3,651
26 Mimikyu 3,444
27 Lucario 3,441
28 Spheal 3,336
29 Sliggo 3,307
30 Latitas 2,998

Shroob

Sup?
Hmm, speaking of poll, here one from Japan Pokemon Day asking on Twitter for everyone on who their favorite Pokemon is by using a hashtag with the Pokemon Japanese name and にきめた attach to the end of the name. From the official site: https://pokemonday.pokemon.co.jp.

Right now, as of this writing, this is the current Top 30 (from 238,622 votes), and not the final result:

1 Dedenne 29,405
2 Buzzwole 24,258
3 Snivy 12,788
4 Magnemite 11,555
5 Cinccino 10,537
6 Pikachu 9,137
7 Eevee 7,819
8 Flygon 7,599
9 Barbaracle 7,584
10 Sableye 7,155
11 Luxray 7,070
12 Oshawott 6,327
13 Chandelure 5,769
14 Umbreon 4,824
15 Scolipede 4,781
16 Greninja 4,757
17 Piplup 4,628
18 Rayquaza 4,395
19 Whismur 4,254
20 Syvleon 4,180
21 Glaceon 4,159
23 Empoleon 4,061
24 Alcremie 3,688
25 Inteleon 3,651
26 Mimikyu 3,444
27 Lucario 3,441
28 Spheal 3,336
29 Sliggo 3,307
30 Latitas 2,998
Some of these I can see.

Then you have Barbaracle

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly, the only thing I’m wondering right now is if Minecraft World is gonna have its ores changed to be in line with the new textures coming in the cave update.
The reason for that is to make the ores distinguishable for the colourblind iirc, Minecraft World's ores are always a set pattern so the colourblind wouldn't need to make a random guess when they see the textures as to what they contain.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

1 Dedenne 29,405
2 Buzzwole 24,258
3 Snivy 12,788
4 Magnemite 11,555
5 Cinccino 10,537
6 Pikachu 9,137
7 Eevee 7,819
8 Flygon 7,599
9 Barbaracle 7,584
10 Sableye 7,155
11 Luxray 7,070
12 Oshawott 6,327
13 Chandelure 5,769
14 Umbreon 4,824
15 Scolipede 4,781
16 Greninja 4,757
17 Piplup 4,628
18 Rayquaza 4,395
19 Whismur 4,254
20 Syvleon 4,180
21 Glaceon 4,159
23 Empoleon 4,061
24 Alcremie 3,688
25 Inteleon 3,651
26 Mimikyu 3,444
27 Lucario 3,441
28 Spheal 3,336
29 Sliggo 3,307
30 Latitas 2,998
I'm legitimately surprised Cinderace isn't on here considering how hard the anime is trying to push it. Hell, it's not even the most popular Galarian Pokemon as Alcremie and Inteleon on here.

Then again, this poll is pretty weird. Pokemon like Snivy, Flygon and Luxray being on here make sense, but Barbaracle? Sliggo instead of Goodra or Goomy? Whismur? Definitely not choices you'd expect to place highly.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, I'd prefer for them to announce everyone

1 Dedenne 29,405
2 Buzzwole 24,258
3 Snivy 12,788
4 Magnemite 11,555
5 Cinccino 10,537
6 Pikachu 9,137
7 Eevee 7,819
8 Flygon 7,599
9 Barbaracle 7,584
10 Sableye 7,155
11 Luxray 7,070
12 Oshawott 6,327
13 Chandelure 5,769
14 Umbreon 4,824
15 Scolipede 4,781
16 Greninja 4,757
17 Piplup 4,628
18 Rayquaza 4,395
19 Whismur 4,254
20 Syvleon 4,180
21 Glaceon 4,159
23 Empoleon 4,061
24 Alcremie 3,688
25 Inteleon 3,651
26 Mimikyu 3,444
27 Lucario 3,441
28 Spheal 3,336
29 Sliggo 3,307
30 Latitas 2,998
This feels like a randomly generated list with how out there the choices are.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

I would choose these characters..
1613806450681.png
1613807065177.png
Sora (Kingdom Hearts) [Disney]

1613806685590.png
1613806863879.png

Saber/Artoria Pendragon (Fate/stay night) [TypeMoon]
Saber Alter (Fate/stay night) Alternate Costume, Unique Final Smash akin to AC Cloud

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
More than ever I’m just curious if Pass 3 is a thing or not. Something tells me the last two won’t be a double reveal but you never know. Last Pass they announced Pass 2 at the same time they announced the second to last character which was Terry so I can’t help but wonder if the big E3 reveal could pe FP10 and then the other bomb being “oh yeah there’s more.
Man, if both Lloyd AND Monster Hunter die come P/M's presentation, things gonna get real interestin'.

.....gonna take all the strength in the world to not look at Chief and say, "...but what if.... E3...?"
What if neither of them die but neither of the next two are Namco/Capcom and there’s a Pass 3? What’s your reaction then?

Shroob

Sup?
More than ever I’m just curious if Pass 3 is a thing or not. Something tells me the last two won’t be a double reveal but you never know. Last Pass they announced Pass 2 at the same time they announced the second to last character which was Terry so I can’t help but wonder if the big E3 reveal could pe FP10 and then the other bomb being “oh yeah there’s more.

What if neither of them die but neither of the next two are Namco/Capcom and there’s a Pass 3? What’s your reaction then?
That's when I die.:smileye:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I think we are underestimating Monster Hunter as an possible E3 reveal. Monster Hunter World, has caused the series popularity to skyrocket worldwide its Capcom's best selling game at 16 million copies sold most of which were outside Japan. Rise is being built as Nintendo's Q1 2021 big system seller by putting it in the same time frame Animal Crossing released last year.

Shroob

Sup?
I think we are underestimating Monster Hunter as an possible E3 reveal. Monster Hunter World, has caused the series popularity to skyrocket worldwide its Capcom's best selling game at 16 million copies sold most of which were outside Japan. Rise is being built as Nintendo's Q1 2021 big system seller by putting it in the same time frame Animal Crossing released last year.
Considering how much Monster Hunter has been talked about the last few days, I don't think we're underestimating them at all.

We're mainly just waiting to see if they escape the day of reckoning(Mii costume presentation).

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Considering how much Monster Hunter has been talked about the last few days, I don't think we're underestimating them at all.

We're mainly just waiting to see if they escape the day of reckoning(Mii costume presentation).
I meant it being revealed at E3 over say something like Crash or Master Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom