• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Could you explain what those two are? I'm assuming Foresight was the counter thing, but I don't know what Smash Flare refers to.
1613760508843.png

1613760545667.png

The Roy neutral special-looking thing. It seemed like one of those normals that had a name at first, but I think it might be a passive/charged effect for all of her smashes.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
The one thing that makes me iffy about it being a shield special is the fact that they switched in the air in the trailer. Can Steve summon his crafting table in the air? I don’t think he can, and the idea of an airdodge special seems weird to me, but I haven’t actually tried to summon it in the air before
Just checked, he can't summon it mid-air. Maybe it is a passive ability after all. It's hard to tell, which is kind of exciting.

SKX31

Smash Master

7NATOR

Smash Master
Does this mean Ryu will use Guns? Well I guess he can do that in Smash, but it's still kind of weird for a person that's about this Fist

In any case, The fact Chun-Li's name is first, I now 100% agree with Louie G. Louie G. about her being the Co-Mascot. I was only like 70-85% down with that statement, but Yeah Now I understand further

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Well, this is really soon after Mythra/Pyra's reveal, but here are the mathematically projected background colors I got for Fighter 10!

Definitely a lot more varied colors this time. Of course, this is only "minimally extended" as theoretically, there are 27 possible colors technically. I might go back later and post them here, just to see what other variations are given.

Just like last time, it should be noted not to take them seriously since this is just Math, but, it should give something to talk about I guess lol.
Purple - Shantae
Green - uhhhh....
Pink - Sakura

The Roy neutral special-looking thing. It seemed like one of those normals that had a name at first, but I think it might be a passive/charged effect for all of her smashes.
Okay. I think the spinny move (probably down-smash?) had a similar effect. I could see it being a passive thing, but I imagine it would just be a way to keep Pyra from being outclassed by Mythra, since speedy combo characters tend to outperform their slower counterparts. I have a hard time seeing the counter as anything more than a special move.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
purple: Ahri (K/DA I guess and the Purple contrasts well with her default red outfit)
Purple, interestingly enough, works for League because it used to be the color of one of the teams (now it's blue and red, but it used to be blue and purple) back in the first few seasons.

This game is set at least in the country, I guess that counts? Other games set in Romania include:

• Command and Conquer (several games)
  • Hitman (several games)
  • Resident Evil Village.
Dracula is the best Hitman rep, prove me wrong. :4pacman:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We already knew how important Chun-Li is to Capcom considering how much of a Capcom crossover mainstay she is and she was one of the first two characters revealed for Street Fighter 5.

Dante and Doomguy are like those big 'hype' third party choices Smash fans keep hyping up only for them to never get in.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling Crash and Ryu Hayabusa are going to share the same fate.
Regardless of what happens, we know at least two of those characters absolutely won’t be Ultimate DLC considering we only have two packs left. Add in Lloyd and the Monster Hunter for other potentially left out characters.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Capcom has never been stingy putting SF characters anywhere they can. So... sure, yeah. Makes sense.

In any case, The fact Chun-Li's name is first, I now 100% agree with Louie G. Louie G. about her being the Co-Mascot. I was only like 70-85% down with that statement, but Yeah Now I understand further
This is the game changer? Not her getting her own movie, or all the other marketing and attention that elevates her, or just literally everyone trying to impress it upon you. It's the order of the names in Fortnite.

You are quite an odd duck.

But ok.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It was only a matter of time tbh, they don't call Ryu the king of video game crossovers for nothing

Also:
:ultpyra:, courtesy of Warchamp7 Warchamp7
Yay a Pyra icon! Mythra I presume we have to wait until release.

For those that cannot see it, try clearing your cache. Which I'm gonna have to do as Pyra pulled another disappearing act on me.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think it's obvious that Chun-li is important for Street fighter and Capcom in general, and I rarely (if ever) seen anyone saying that she's not iconic. The point is that there's so many possible Capcom characters that I don't see, with only 2 spots left, why they would go for a third Street fighter characters. Of course I could be wrong, but I really think Nintendo wil put priority on Monster hunter, Dante or Phoenix Wright over another SF rep.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think it's obvious that Chun-li is important for Street fighter and Capcom in general, and I rarely (if ever) seen anyone saying that she's not iconic. The point is that there's so many possible Capcom characters that I don't see, with only 2 spots left, why they would go for a third Street fighter characters. Of course I could be wrong, but I really think Nintendo wil put priority on Monster hunter, Dante or Phoenix Wright over another SF rep.
For Chun-Li's case, it's because her popularity and recognizability as a character transcends Street Fighter as a franchise. She's not a "third SF character" so much as she's Chun-Li the "video game girl".

But I agree that with only 2 slots left, I'd personally rather see another Capcom character. Chun-Li's great, but I doubt I'll enjoy playing her and I just would rather see a character that I'd like to play.

D

Deleted member

Dante and Doomguy are like those big 'hype' third party choices Smash fans keep hyping up only for them to never get in.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda feeling Crash and Ryu Hayabusa are going to share the same fate.
Honestly, a lot of characters that are talked about so much by the Smash community are a small pool within a huge ocean of video game characters, so it's always more likely than not we get DLC of characters that weren't in that pool of discussions. Dante, Doomguy, Crash, Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, Sora, 2B, Lloyd, Phoenix Wright, Rayman, Arle, Waluigi, a Gen 8 Pokemon, Master Chief, Reimu, and so, so much more get predicted to be DLC in Vol 2, but with each passing time as each Challenger Pack gets revealed, it's more likely that we'd probably get 1 of them if not none.

The last 2 characters could very well be names most people weren't expecting to see once again, whether if its because they never thought about it or just think the circumstances around them don't support the possibility of being playable in Smash. Quite frankly, I would prefer the next 2 characters to be this way since a handful of characters I want don't get discussed much anyways because people either ignore it or downplay it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ryu is the king of crossovers. Shovel Knight is the king of Indie crossovers. That's the difference.

...Though to be fair, isn't Ryu more the king of fighting game crossovers? He's gotten a lot of non-fighting game appearances, but I'm not sure how many overall in comparison to his fighting games. That includes the spin-off puzzle games(as non-fighting).

Sysreq

Smash Ace
View attachment 304068
View attachment 304069
I forgot where I read/saw it, but someone was speculating that Pyra might have a passive where after a certain number of hits, she gets a strong, powered-up smash attack, similar to how in XB2, you auto-attack to build up your arts gauges. In mew2king's analysis video I think he speculated that Mythra's foresight was part of her dodge roll like Bayonetta but better.

Pillow

Smash Lord
...Though to be fair, isn't Ryu more the king of fighting game crossovers? He's gotten a lot of non-fighting game appearances, but I'm not sure how many overall in comparison to his fighting games. That includes the spin-off puzzle games(as non-fighting).
Fighting games are the kings of video game crossovers, ergo Ryu would still be the king of video game crossovers

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's a bit of a stretch, but two of my most wanted characters fit really well with the green background. Still not getting my expectations too high though.

Pimple Rash Zitz (HeeWonLee).jpg
Illidan (jiangxiaoguang).jpg

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ryu is the king of crossovers. Shovel Knight is the king of Indie crossovers. That's the difference.

He’s also appeared in Ready Player One which means his crossed over with Master Chief, Tracer from Overwatch, and Gundam.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
He’s also appeared in Ready Player One which means his crossed over with Master Chief, Tracer from Overwatch, and Gundam.
And Mechagodzilla. Think that's an important thing to note.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Oh, are we entering this kind of argument? Sorry, but I'm personally tired of this kind honestly. This is the Bomberman Mii using Shot Put:

View attachment 304056

Given how blurry the image is, it can be mistaken for a bomb. Source (0:21).

My point was, best available fit for the character. Sure, Bomberman might not fit entirely as a Brawler - but could you imagine the guy with a sword or a gun? At least he punches and kicks bombs in his games. And his games are about careful maneuvering and getting close without being burnt oneself.

Not every Mii is going to fit neatly into any of the three archetypes, and yes, Nintendo themselves are likely to be inconsistent with this. My personal opinion does not influence Nintendo's decision making, since I'm not your friend's uncle who works at Nintendo. Still, if Sakurai has shown some consistency with the "best available fit" thing (I don't expect total consistency, to do that would be insanity) chances are a lot of costumes are going to follow that.

Subarashi! (Magnificent.) I'm so ready for the bullet hell. :4pacman:
And it doesn't explode. And Mii Gunner uses tons of Explosions, which would've fit Bomberman, whose main weapon is LITERALLY BOMBS IT'S IN HIS NAME! Yet he was made a Brawler, so I have no doubts in my mind that KOS-MOS would be a Gunner lmao.

SKX31

Smash Master
Man, I haven't done this in a while. An update for TPC's and Nintendo's expansion activities:

While it's not groundbreaking news, it's still significant because TPC's and Nintendo's plans are mainly in the medium and long term.

Zhuge notes a couple things:

1. "The Pokémon IP is hugely popular in Mainland China, not just through games business but through its toy licensing business and media business." Aka. the anime and related stuff did pretty well there too.

2. "There is no Pokémon game officially released for the Switch in China just yet (so everyone just imports) but they are going through the approval process."

One thing Zhuge doesn't note:

3. Said approval process takes months at least, and in some cases can become Approval Hell (TM). Because the process runs through the Chinese government and the state has over the past few years tightened the approval process. Why? Partly to try and control things, partly because of a Moral Panic surrounding one of Tencent's games back in 2017 (Honor of Kings, Tencent's mobile LoL), with state-run papers attacking the game. Currently 16 Switch games are approved since December 2019 (ooof) and BotW 1 is in Approval Hell (TM). Well, anyone who owns a Switch there and is interested in BotW has probably imported it and beaten it (as well as Age of Calamity) so no biggie.

Worth noting that since Zhuge's a consultant whose data Nintendo, SEGA etc. use (see his firm's website and scroll to the bottom), it's no wonder that he kinda skims over that.

And Mechagodzilla. Think that's an important thing to note.
Please tell me the Gundam and Mechagodzilla fight each other.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Man, I haven't done this in a while. An update for TPC's and Nintendo's expansion activities:

While it's not groundbreaking news, it's still significant because TPC's and Nintendo's plans are mainly in the medium and long term.

Zhuge notes a couple things:

1. "The Pokémon IP is hugely popular in Mainland China, not just through games business but through its toy licensing business and media business." Aka. the anime and related stuff did pretty well there too.

2. "There is no Pokémon game officially released for the Switch in China just yet (so everyone just imports) but they are going through the approval process."

One thing Zhuge doesn't note:

3. Said approval process takes months at least, and in some cases can become Approval Hell (TM). Because the process runs through the Chinese government and the state has over the past few years tightened the approval process. Why? Partly to try and control things, partly because of a Moral Panic surrounding one of Tencent's games back in 2017 (Honor of Kings, Tencent's mobile LoL), with state-run papers attacking the game. Currently 16 Switch games are approved since December 2019 (ooof) and BotW 1 is in Approval Hell (TM). Well, anyone who owns a Switch there and is interested in BotW has probably imported it and beaten it (as well as Age of Calamity) so no biggie.

Worth noting that since Zhuge's a consultant whose data Nintendo, SEGA etc. use (see his firm's website and scroll to the bottom), it's no wonder that he kinda skims over that.

Please tell me the Gundam and Mechagodzilla fight each other.
Still no news on Smash or even Splatoon 3 getting a Chinese release? May as well release 3 at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom