• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think we're getting Chun-Li or any other Street Fighter Reps for one simple reason... DLC Spirit Board.

Street Fighter has been very well represented in the spirit department, so if a new street fighter Rep comes, there would be no new spirits to add without scraping the bottom of the barrel characterwise. Since I'm not an Expert on Street Fighter, but it seems like most if not all of the major characters are represented as spirits already.
We got p.much nothing for SF 3, 4 and 5, with 5 being a huge ? due to it being the most recent game and having what, 3-4 years of DLC support at this point?

We have like 2 SF3 spirits and like 1-2 SF4 Spirits, that's it.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Was thinking about a Marina/Pearl duo fighter the other day repping Splatoon 2, no idea how it would work but to me you can't have one without the other and both are really popular

Koopaul

Smash Champion
People didn't think that third-parties were done after Snake.
People didn't think that multiple third-parties from the same company were done after Ryu.
People didn't think that clone characters from existing third-party series were done after Richter.

Why do some people think that getting more original characters from existing third-party series will end with Sephiroth?
Because there's only 3 fighters left. And what are the odds of one those 3 being another case like Sephiroth? Not likely.

It might not happen again in Ultimate, but getting more is not without reason, and will happen eventually.
Well... yeah. Duh. But this is the DLC discussion. Nobody is saying that another 3rd party rep for an established series in Smash is impossible for future titles.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Because there's only 3 fighters left. And what are the odds of one those 3 being another 3rd party from an existing 3rd party series? Not likely.

Well... Yeah. But this is the DLC discussion. Nobody is saying that another 3rd party rep for an established series in Smash is impossible for future titles.
It's 50/50 either way. It's not more or less likely unless you know something we don't.

It could happen, it could not, there's nothing saying it will happen, but also nothing saying it won't. Saying it's unlikely is just as facetious as saying it's likely.

It could happen, but it also could not.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's 50/50 either way. It's not more or less likely unless you know something we don't.

It could happen, it could not, there's nothing saying it will happen, but also nothing saying it won't. Saying it's unlikely is just as facetious as saying it's likely.

It could happen, but it also could not.
It's about the odds of it happening. Its about observing trends. I don't see it being likely because there are still tons and tons and tons of series and characters that are eligible in Smash. There's a greater chance of it being a new series altogether because the majority of the DLC usually is that. And there's only 3 fighters left.

Think about it like this. You roll a pair of die. It lands on double 7. You get three more rolls. What are the odds of it landing on a double 7 again? Out of the huge pool of potential fighters what are the odds of them pulling another Sephiroth?

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
I don't think we're getting Chun-Li or any other Street Fighter Reps for one simple reason... DLC Spirit Board.

Street Fighter has been very well represented in the spirit department, so if a new street fighter Rep comes, there would be no new spirits to add without scraping the bottom of the barrel characterwise. Since I'm not an Expert on Street Fighter, but it seems like most if not all of the major characters are represented as spirits already.
Street Fighter III and Street Fighter IV Spirit Board baybeeeee.
  • Alex
  • Dudley
  • Elena
  • Makoto
  • Urien
  • Gill
  • Oro
  • Sean Matsuda
  • Crimson Viper
  • Gouken
  • Seth
Only Spirits that are from III and IV in Smash already are Ibuki, Yun & Yang and Juri. You could throw them on the Spirit Board as well à la ARMS. You could also have Street Fighter III and IV versions of already existing Spirits.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
It's about the odds of it happening. Its about observing trends. I don't see it being likely because there are still tons and tons and tons of series and characters that are eligible in Smash. There's a greater chance of it being a new series altogether because the majority of the DLC usually is that. And there's only 3 left.

Think about it like this. You roll a pair of die. It lands on double 7. You get three more rolls. What are the odds of it landing on a double 7 again? Out of the huge pool of potential fighters what are the odds of them pulling another Sephiroth?
"It's about the odds of it happening", which, we don't know what the selection process internally is.

"It's about observing trends", yes because observing trends has had SUCH a good track record when it comes to Smash in the past. So glad Blog Theory was right.

"I don't see it being likely because...", and going to stop you right there.

You're completely fine to have your opinion as to why you don't think it's likely, but neither you, nor I, are Sakurai, and acting like we are is just pissing in the wind. For all we know, he could have legit picked 3 Street Fighter characters over the myriad of other Capcom series, OR, he could not have. We just don't know.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
We got p.much nothing for SF 3, 4 and 5, with 5 being a huge ? due to it being the most recent game and having what, 3-4 years of DLC support at this point?

We have like 2 SF3 spirits and like 1-2 SF4 Spirits, that's it.
I mean third party usually get the short end of the stick and it's pretty tricky when there's an overarching character and the odds of getting another Sephiroth treatment is pretty slim and from the looks of things all DLC spirit have been self contained under 1 series (Persona 5, DQ putting much emphasis on 11 despite having an alt based on 3 different Hero from different game, just the original Banjo-Kazooie (no Nuts n Bolts even if everyone hated it), Terry is basically the roster of KoF, 3H, Arms, just the original Minecraft (no Dungeon or Story) and Final Fantasy 7)

tho if I could choose I would pick Menat

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I do think CP4 will drop in March, if nothing else, just because it'll have been 3 months since Sephiroth at that point, and it seems like just a decent time to show up, 80-90~ish days seems like the average between characters.

As for who?

Bugger all if I know. March is such a nebulous month since soo much is or has happened in it.

Crash 4 comes out on Switch

Monster Hunter Rise comes out on Switch

There's that big Tales of celebration in March(I think)

And this month is Street Fighter 2's 30th anniversary(Which is odd, since I distinctly remember an old Capcom history book labeling it as March but their Twitter posted on Feb 6th about it so)...

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I do think CP4 will drop in March, if nothing else, just because it'll have been 3 months since Sephiroth at that point, and it seems like just a decent time to show up, 80-90~ish days seems like the average between characters.

As for who?

Bugger all if I know. March is such a nebulous month since soo much is or has happened in it.

And this month is Street Fighter 2's 30th anniversary(Which is odd, since I distinctly remember an old Capcom history book labeling it as March but their Twitter posted on Feb 6th about it so)...
If you want to stretch it, DMC3 came out in March 2005 for the West, February for Japan though and it'd be DMC5's 2nd anniversary in March.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

As for who?

And because all of them have big things happening this month, it obviously means we're getting none of those characters and getting someone who has absolutely nothing going on... which is why...

250px-Klonoa.png

KLONOA!
TAKES THE RING!

Staarih

Smash Master
I do think CP4 will drop in March
I think March too. While we're getting big to kinda-big releases in the near future (Bravely Default II, MH Rise, New Pokemon Snap), Nintendo-wise we're pretty clueless after tomorrow when SM3DW+BF comes out. So I think (hope) things start rolling more active again from next week onwards.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Amiibos cost, like, $20. Those figures cost like $200.
I know that. But who wants to purchase a figure that looks like **** just because it's cheaper? The sort of person who buys/collects figures in the first place would probably prefer a more expensive Shulk figure that actually looks good as opposed to something that looks like it came inside of a McDonald's happy meal.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I know that. But who wants to purchase a figure that looks like **** just because it's cheaper? The sort of person who buys/collects figures in the first place would probably prefer a more expensive Shulk figure that actually looks good as opposed to something that looks like it came inside of a McDonald's happy meal.
That is all.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If a Smash leak has Ken doing thumb up. it's probably real.
(Other times, it's fake.)

Edit:
When I made that “punishment time” Mario ****post a few pages back I WAS JOKING

now we’re gonna see Mario’s official Danganronpa execution next trailer. I jinxed it rip

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don’t really see how Steve appeals to mobile gamers...your claim that Goku is the next step doesn’t really have any basis. Goku himself isn’t even a character that would attract a casual (non video game) audience since anime is more niche outside of Japan than something like SpiderMan.
I absolutely do not want Goku in Smash, but you underestimate just how iconic Dragon Ball is in pop culture. Dragon Ball is among the highest grossing media franchises on par with the likes of Spider-Man and Batman, has strong presence in Latin America and had strong viewership figures in the US. The idea that Goku of all characters wouldn’t be recognisable and appealing to a casual audience makes no sense.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

As for who?

There is also the rumored Ninja Gaiden trilogy that is supposed to be releasing in March too. So yeah a lot of stuff going on in March that will kill wallets.

And I wanted to join in on the current discussion a bit. I do agree that there is a good chance that we won't get another Sephiroth situation since, well as people have discussed many times, the next DLC characters almost always seem to be in a different situation than the previous fighters. But despite that, I still think Chun-Li has a good chance, and I say that as someone who would prefer a new Capcom property getting in.

Thinking about it, Street Fighter really does have an iconic cast of characters. Even putting aside Ryu, Ken, and Chun-Li, you also have Akuma, M. Bison and you could even argue for characters like Blanka and Cami.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like there is a decent chance we will get a character from a franchise/game that already have heavy representation in the base game since that is the one precedence that hasn’t been broken with the Fighter Passes, whether it be someone like Chun-Li or Bandana Dee. FF7 (despite already having a character and stage) and ARMS (despite already having an AT, Mii costumes and some spirits) would not have been considered “heavily represented” whereas Street Fighter and Kirby would. The point is, someone who “doesn’t fit the Fighter Pass model that well” might end up happening.

D

Deleted member

I feel like there is a decent chance we will get a character from a franchise/game that already have heavy representation in the base game since that is the one precedence that hasn’t been broken with the Fighter Passes, whether it be someone like Chun-Li or Bandana Dee. FF7 (despite already having a character and stage) and ARMS (despite already having an AT, Mii costumes and some spirits) would not have been considered “heavily represented” whereas Street Fighter and Kirby would. The point is, someone who “doesn’t fit the Fighter Pass model that well” might end up happening.
So long as said representation is from Zelda, I'd be all for it. I hate to use the word 'deserve' (especially on a forum as its an extra....inflammatory word) but out of all the Nintendo properties, The Legend of Zelda kinda feels the most underrepresented.

Mario's the flagship series, so of course it gets its due with tons of Stages, Characters, Music, and Items. It's followed next by Pokemon which has near equal amount of Music, Stages, and Characters with the added bonus of its own Trophy System (so to speak) with Pokeballs.

The Legend of Zelda is one of Nintendo's top 3 series (I forget where it sits..is it 3rd?) and while it does have decent representation, it's hard for people to look past the fact that 3 of its 6 characters all have incredibly similar playstyles (Link, Young Link, and Toon Link are basically all semi-clones of each other). It's got plenty of Music, Stage, and Item representation, but it feels like it really needs just one more 'standout' character.

As of writing this, I had to go back and edit it to '6' characters because I CONSTANTLY forget Sheik is a character in this game because she's just so bleh

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash Bandicoot
Chun-Li
Dante
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa
Tales Rep

Place your bets now who it'll be in March!

Watch that it's none of them.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Crash Bandicoot
Chun-Li
Dante
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa
Tales Rep

Place your bets now who it'll be in March!

Watch that it's none of them.
Imma be daring and bet that it will, in fact, be none of them

imma be even MORE daring and bet that it’s either Reimu, a LoL character, or a Nintendo character (maybe someone unexpected like Octoling or Elma)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Imma be daring and bet that it will, in fact, be none of them

imma be even MORE daring and bet that it’s either Reimu, a LoL character, or a Nintendo character (maybe someone unexpected like Octoling or Elma)
Honestly I think you're right. I'm having a gut feeling too.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think Pokémon is the biggest x factor in regards to Nintendo getting another character. With the 25 anniversary, likely further games being released beyond Snap 2, and the relative ease of putting one in means it can't be entirely counted out. That's not to say another first party can't get in but if there is only one more to come my safe bet with be on a Gen 8 rep.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think Pokémon is the biggest x factor in regards to Nintendo getting another character. With the 25 anniversary, likely further games being released beyond Snap 2, and the relative ease of putting one in means it can't be entirely counted out. That's not to say another first party can't get in but if there is only one more to come my safe bet with be on a Gen 8 rep.
If we are getting a Pokemon, it won’t be a Sword and Shield one but one from previous generations. So maybe something like Gengar.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that amiibos are much better in terms of space and availability. I don't like buying sight unseen (so I tend to buy locally when it's an option), and it's a lot easier to find places to store amiibos compared to full-size figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom