• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To anyone who's tried to make a realistic tracklist for your fighter's pass, have you ever had any issues trying to not go overboard? Because I'm making one for Ys, and uh,
View attachment 302475
I have 37 of them. Keep in mind that I already had to drop 10 songs beforehand. And I still have to add songs from the other Falcom series.

Yeah, I have a dilemma here.
I have a feeling Ys IX music wouldn't be included if Adol gets in. Maybe VIII as well even if VIII isn't "recent" anymore.

Falcom would probably say okay to anything but it also would be up to Sakurai & Nintendo. If Sakurai and his team are only interested in 20 songs then we would get those, I think. At least, with Terry was like that. Sakurai proposed SNK 50 songs, expecting them to pick 10-15 and we already know the rest of the history.

In any case, do not forget this song, please:

This one isn't in Ys I & II Chronicles, or at least it never played for me when I played both games.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You lot really do like to invest in exceptions, don't you?

"Well Terry came with 50 tracks!"
"Well Steve was in talks for five years!"
"Well Hero was timed with his game!"

If I was aiming for realism, I'd go with how things, y'know... normally work. But hey, do what you want. None of this is of any real consequence.
Someone once said that Exceptions are just the evolution of the Normal things, and it's up to those affected to evolve or falter

Paraster

Smash Lord
Okay, guys, I thought I'd play a lil game if you're all interested.
If you could add newcomers to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate from any (or every) series, regardless of 'importance' to their series, how many or how few characters are currently included, how many characters are in the game, fan rules, taking up 'slots' from someone else, or how relevant they are..who would you choose?
:ultmario:: Geno
:ultkirby:: Bandana Waddle Dee, Susie
:ultfox:: Krystal
:ultpikachu:: Dhelmise, Noivern, Roserade
:ultness:: Porky
:ultpit:: Viridi
:ultsonic:: Silver
:ultmegaman:: Zero
:ultcloud:: Zidane
:ultinkling:: Octolings
:ultminmin: Dr. Coyle
(I was very tempted to cheekily list Cadence under Zelda since Cadence of Hyrule exists)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Castlevania and Terry show that if all parties involved really wanted to, they will go overboard with the music selection. Also, it's your interpretation of "realistic" so who cares? Let us all bask in Falcom ****.
It's a self-imposed challenge, I suppose. Want to go for a reasonable interpretation of what would happen, and Terry's 50 songs seems like a one-off event. Still, I do want a lot of Falcom tracks, so it'll be hard for me to keep it sane.

(Nothing will ever beat my 100+ Touhou tracklist though)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's a self-imposed challenge, I suppose. Want to go for a reasonable interpretation of what would happen, and Terry's 50 songs seems like a one-off event. Still, I do want a lot of Falcom tracks, so it'll be hard for me to keep it sane.

Does said track list include doujin circle remixes tho

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
So Takahashi and Nomura were to work on Xenogears, but then Nomura was apparently tasked to work on FF7 instead. Takahashi has since still wanted to work with him, and Square endorsed him contributing to XC2.

I don't see anyone really being at fault here.
Yes... but Nomura only did so little for Xenoblade 2. It's sad especially when you take into account it's been 20 years they wanted to collab and as awesome as the torna designs are they should have allowed Nomura to do more. This is especially disappointing when you realize how much Xenoblade 2 mirrors Xenogears and even Xenosaga at times.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

I feel like if you're trying to represent an entire company, not just a series, then a large tracklist makes sense

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1. Can’t think of any (my name is 9 letters long)
2. Mach Rider I guess??
3. Ahri
4. 2B I guess
5. Legionis
6. You saw her coming a mile away... that’s right. Elma. :shades:
Three days later I remembered who could be #1 - Madotsuki (Yume Nikki)! 9 letters long just like my irl name

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Someone once said that Exceptions are just the evolution of the Normal things, and it's up to those affected to evolve or falter
Idiosyncratic, sporadic mutations aren’t going to redefine the entire hereditary line, Darwin.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone deliberately endorse treating exceptions as the standard before.

Last edited:

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
To anyone who's tried to make a realistic tracklist for your fighter's pass, have you ever had any issues trying to not go overboard? Because I'm making one for Ys, and uh,
View attachment 302475
I have 37 of them. Keep in mind that I already had to drop 10 songs beforehand. And I still have to add songs from the other Falcom series.

Yeah, I have a dilemma here.
Oh you're not alone. Whenever I try to create a Guilty Gear tracklist I just can't help myself. There's just too much good stuff.

Even when when I limit myself to even 20 I feel like it isn't enough and haven't repped it properly.

Though if, in your case, you're trying to rep an entire company. Then I definitely think having a Terry situation and adding 50 tracks is fully justified imo. There's really just no other way lol.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yes... but Nomura only did so little for Xenoblade 2. It's sad especially when you take into account it's been 20 years they wanted to collab and as awesome as the torna designs are they should have allowed Nomura to do more. This is especially disappointing when you realize how much Xenoblade 2 mirrors Xenogears and even Xenosaga at times.
I agree, I think Nomura is a much better character designer than the lead of XC2, belts and all, but even if he was more involved, to correlate that to involvement of Square as an entire entity would still be fallacious. Though sure, it'd be nice.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Idiosyncratic, sporadic mutations aren’t going to redefine the entire hereditary line, Darwin.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone deliberately endorse treating exceptions as the standard before.
That's the thing, How is the term of Exception even defined. because depending on how you define it, there is a bit of argument to try to see Exceptions as a standard

If there's reasoning based of why something is an exception, and why it couldn't apply to most things, and these reasonings have no room to change or be defiled to a falsehood, than it makes seens to see Exceptions as exceptions

But I would say in this case, the examples shown are exceptions because we haven't seen it happen before. By that logic, all the Inventions that we have gotten, at the time they were invented, were seen as exceptions to the state of things. Not just technological advancements like Lightblub and TV, but also things like birth of Democracy, or Different types of art defined by periods like the enlightment, or Guerrla Warfare

An example I would say is Super Sayian. It was said in legend that there was only one Super Sayian, and Goku seemed like he was the Super Sayian legend spoke of. At that time Goku was an exception to the rule, and we couldn't treat Super sayian as the standard. Now Super Sayian is like a Bargain sale, as It's probably easier to name Sayian that weren't shown to have Super Sayian

Ultimately, when it comes to those Exceptions, it's up to those affected to see if they want to go in that direction. They could either go with what the exceptions show, or they could continue to evolve the standard they are accustomed too

Regarding Smash, because 3rd parties are a variable that's changing, I would say alot of time we won't get as many music as Terry did, but there are cases like with Touhou or perhaps any of Falcom where the exception is Plausible and would be new standard

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aight

weekly event announcement any second now...

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman

Spirits with claws.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Spirits with claws.
Wolverine deconfirmed!? :4pacman:

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace

Spirits with claws.
Can't believe they deconfirmed my boy Sidestepper like that 🦀

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's the thing, How is the term of Exception even defined. because depending on how you define it, there is a bit of argument to try to see Exceptions as a standard

If there's reasoning based of why something is an exception, and why it couldn't apply to most things, and these reasonings have no room to change or be defiled to a falsehood, than it makes seens to see Exceptions as exceptions

But I would say in this case, the examples shown are exceptions because we haven't seen it happen before. By that logic, all the Inventions that we have gotten, at the time they were invented, were seen as exceptions to the state of things. Not just technological advancements like Lightblub and TV, but also things like birth of Democracy, or Different types of art defined by periods like the enlightment, or Guerrla Warfare

An example I would say is Super Sayian. It was said in legend that there was only one Super Sayian, and Goku seemed like he was the Super Sayian legend spoke of. At that time Goku was an exception to the rule, and we couldn't treat Super sayian as the standard. Now Super Sayian is like a Bargain sale, as It's probably easier to name Sayian that weren't shown to have Super Sayian

Ultimately, when it comes to those Exceptions, it's up to those affected to see if they want to go in that direction. They could either go with what the exceptions show, or they could continue to evolve the standard they are accustomed too

Regarding Smash, because 3rd parties are a variable that's changing, I would say alot of time we won't get as many music as Terry did, but there are cases like with Touhou or perhaps any of Falcom where the exception is Plausible and would be new standard
Aberrations that change the status quo are progenitors, aberrations that don't change the status quo are exceptions.

A degree of informed, rational extrapolation can be necessary, like how after Richter we could reasonably assume additional characters from existing third-parties series were on the table. And sometimes it might take a minute to see if the status quo really has changed. Like when people tried to justify Ryu on the basis of the necessary Nintendo connection, but then Cloud showed up, retiring that presumption.

But, as per my examples, the way characters like Terry, Hero and Steve each proved an exception occurs sporadically at best, a single time at worst, and has not been replicated since. For instance, 50 tracks have not since come with every character. Not even close. Not even with the first-party stuff. They deviate from the norm, and the norm stayed the same. They are exceptions.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing to think about with exceptions is that, it seems, when we get a pack with one...it’s a new kind of exception.

In that sense, it doesn’t really help figure out future picks.

But thats the thing that I don’t think has ever, or will be ever, learned. What happens with each pack is not inherently applicable to the ones that follow, except for like 1 or 2 things that have always seemed to be the case.

I don’t know, I’m just vibing over here.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah not much to talk about right now. Is it time for another game?

You can pick the last 3 characters for the game, but they all have to be from the same franchise. Who do you pick?
Skull Kid, Vaati, Ganon.
There, finally Zelda gets some roster love.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

You can pick the last 3 characters for the game, but they all have to be from the same franchise. Who do you pick?
Chris Redfield/Jill Valentine, Albert Wesker, & Nemesis.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I can do a few
-Heavy
-Scout
-Spy

-Estelle
-Rean
-Lloyd

-Arthas
-Thrall
-Illidan

-Rex
-Elma
-Lora

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Bandana Dee, Magolor, Dark Matter

tempted to do Mario but Kirby is in far more of a need for characters and as much as I want Toad I of course want Bandana Dee more

imo just add these 3 and Kirby representation would basically be perfect

In other words, Nintendo could be changing their MO when it comes to how Smash inclusions work? I'd say it isn't even about what is normal and what is exception if that's what you're saying. We've had a lot of inclusions that have broken the mold, but they've all done so in different ways. Most of what we've seen is still the old "normal" in at least one area. It's not really fair to say that the exceptions are the new norms because of that, but it would be fair to say that priorities are changing and that the old norms aren't as important as they used to be. I think someday well be able to say there is a new "normal," but it's going to take significant time before we can tell what that new normal is. When we do, it will be because the newer priorities have shown themselves, and not because the old norms are explicitly undone.

If we're just talking stuff like getting more music per character, it could happen but there isn't much evidence for that at the moment. Terry was 5 characters ago and we haven't seen large amounts of music included since then.
One thing to think about with exceptions is that, it seems, when we get a pack with one...it’s a new kind of exception.

But thats the thing that I don’t think has ever, or will be ever, learned. What happens with each pack is not inherently applicable to the ones that follow, except for like 1 or 2 things that have always seemed to be the case.

I spent too much time typing this post to not post it, but excellent work :ultgreninja:ing me in a clear, concise manner about 15 minutes ago.

I should really keep up with the thread better when I'm typing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

That’s easy. Xenoblade: Elma, Mecha-Fiora, Lora

and they’re all female too :awesome: swap out Lora for KOS-MOS if you want to play the “technically the same universe” card

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Yeah, I've noticed that too. DLC packs seem to have a habit of breaking one precedent, then moving on and breaking a different one the next fighter rather than continuing the pattern. One could argue that there's a pattern of breaking existing patterns, though there's a lot of options there and it can't really be used as an effective speculation tool.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Spirits with claws.
Crabs Deconfirmed? Whats The Point In Speculating Anymore?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To put things into perspective, there's a YouTuber, SNES Drunk, whom has reviewed all sorts obscure and little known Super Nintendo titles, including virtually all that are on SNES Online. This newest addition is such a bottom of the barrel selection that there's a game on there (Doomsday Warriors) that he actually hasn't talked about. Nintendo is so desperate for cheap 16 bit content that they're grabbing games even SNES hobbyists haven't heard of. At this point they should just bite the bullet and start adding Game Boy games; the original, Color, and Advance.

And its pitiful that asking for games 20-30 years old feels like a significant request.

Ivander

Smash Legend
For those who like Castlevania, Psycho Dream is a Castlevania-like game, with a lot of gruesome scenery, quiet and intense music like Super Castlevnia IV and even a character who uses a whip. Heck, the final boss music is literally Ave Maria.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom