• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
ARMS is more like a Gundam VS game than a conventional fighting game. I think people comparing it to other fighting games makes people believe it to be a poor one. But if you compare it to Gundam VS or Custom Robo then it's pretty good in that genre.
Erm. From what little I've played of Custom Robo, I don't think ARMS is anything like it.

The way I see it, ARMS is an arena fighter who's hallmark is simplistic controls. It's hard to compare it to other fighting games since arena fighters are way different from 2D and 3D fighting games.

Velvet is a bad b*tch, through and through. Unfortunately, I personally didn’t find her very likeable. Give me Zero from Drakengard 3 if we’re gonna get an angry killer anime girl.
If we're talkin' characters that don't give a crap, I'd like to see War from Darksiders.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Erm. From what little I've played of Custom Robo, I don't think ARMS is anything like it.

The way I see it, ARMS is an arena fighter who's hallmark is simplistic controls. It's hard to compare it to other fighting games since arena fighters are way different from 2D and 3D fighting games.

If we're talkin' characters that don't give a crap, I'd like to see War from Darksiders.
Darksiders has a great art style. I would gladly take any of the three protagonists from that series.

I think I tend to prefer darker and badass characters in general. I’m really glad we got Sephiroth because he is one of my favorite characters ever. I would love to see others like Illidan, Raziel, Magus, Fulgore, Sub-Zero, Nightmare and several others but I’m not really sure how likely any of these types of characters are.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion

ARMS are essentially projectiles. The complexities of the game come from character movement around the arena. You hide behind pillars for cover, or use platforms to get the high ground. You equip a variety of different weapons. It's more like a shooter than a fighting game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Gameplay wise, ARMS is closer to Tekken than it is to Virtua Fighter.
No, No it is not. Tekken was built off of the foundation of Virtua Fighter just like every traditional 3D fighting game. If that's the argument you're making for it then the fighting game that's closest to ARMS is Punch-Out!!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
A part of me hopes that if a Tales character gets in, they would do a hilarious victory banter like in the tales games with some of the other playable characters as a victory pose for team battles.
Lloyd: "I wonder how powerful you'd be if you had two Monados."
Shulk: "Two...Monados?"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1) I feel like it's possible to change Ganondorf to make him more accurate, without changing what his players enjoy about playing him, and we don't need to completely start from scratch.
Probably. But I want a Ganondorf that is 0% Falcon. No Smash character should be derivative of a character from a different series.

2) Which does what? You can't incorporate Cappy without sacrificing Mario's status as the beginner character.
Replaces lame FLUDD with a cooler, funner move.

To be clear, I don't want Cappy to add a complicated mind control mechanic. Just a projectile you can toss out and make hover in place that can be used as a platform.

3) Why? This seems like a lot of work to add basically nothing to most of the cast and take away what makes Squirtle, Charizard and Ivysaur unique.
Because Charizard was better than Trainer. But if you want to just pure 'zard, you have to play a gimped version of him. They each deserve to be their own character.

4) Again why? This seems like a lot of work for something that really wasn't necessary in the first place.
Because the fact that we essentially have 4 Marths is asinine.

5)I mean, they are the main weapons that Link has access to. I kind of get Toon Link but regular Link was changed so drastically that having Young Link be closer to his old moveset is definately appreciated.
See Falco/Wolf below.

6) Why out of curiosity? Wolf, Falco and Fox are all completely different already.
No. They're pretty different. Not completely different. Every bit helps.

7) And once again (sorry) why? I don't have an issue here but they are both pretty substantially different. Personally I think removing the echo distinction from Ken probably makes more sense anyway.
Because any blatant clone should count as an echo(hence, all the decloning suggestions above). Since I don't think either of those characters should be decloned, they should become echoes.

crap, here i was thinking i liked playing as steve and hero! thank you for making me realize i actually don't like playing as my mains.
Now you can finally move on with your life. I only wish I could have helped you sooner.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
A part of me hopes that if a Tales character gets in, they would do a hilarious victory banter like in the tales games with some of the other playable characters as a victory pose for team battles.
Hey that's actually a very cool idea, though it would require work on some extra character models. But they could also use them as a cameo backgrounds for whatever stage they would pick.

For anyone who doesn't know victory screens in Symphonia/Vesperia (I haven't played other Tales games so I don't know if it's a series tradition) look like this

So basically victory screens with the whole active party. It would be cool to recreate that in Smash if a Tales character gets in.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Plot twist: Lloyd is added, and comes with no returning Miis or Bamco Miis. Or any Miis at all, for that matter.
Sakurai's reasoning: "I thought it'd be funny."
I really want Sakurai to say something like that. Like he adds an eighth FE character. Not an actual character from FE, just a silhouette with Marths moveset that is called “Eighth Fire Emblem Character.”

People are outraged. During the presentation Sakurai says “You may be wondering why I added this character, Its because I think its funny.”
What follows would be the most passive aggressive presentation ever. And I would adore it.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I really want Sakurai to say something like that. Like he adds an eighth FE character. Not an actual character from FE, just a silhouette with Marths moveset that is called “Eighth Fire Emblem Character.”

People are outraged. During the presentation Sakurai says “You may be wondering why I added this character, Its because I think its funny.”
What follows would be the most passive aggressive presentation ever. And I would adore it.
They are the composite Fire Emblem character. Their up special is Byleth's, their neutral special is a counter, and their side special is Dancing Blade. Their down special causes them to change between the movesets of Marth, Ike, and Corrin. They also have Robin's limited-use Levin Sword mechanic, buffed by Roy's fire effect.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I know it's pretty late for this, but happy birthday Chibi-Robo!

Though from what I've heard, this series has had it VERY rough. Maybe that's why people want him in Smash?

Pillow

Smash Lord
Darksiders has a great art style. I would gladly take any of the three protagonists from that series.

I think I tend to prefer darker and badass characters in general. I’m really glad we got Sephiroth because he is one of my favorite characters ever. I would love to see others like Illidan, Raziel, Magus, Fulgore, Sub-Zero, Nightmare and several others but I’m not really sure how likely any of these types of characters are.
I'd like to see this as well. These sort of characters never personally appeal to me, but Smash is all about diversity, and watching big muscly men and monsters get beat up by Isabelle makes me happy. Speaking of Illidan, I always wondered why everyone always totes Thrall or Arthas when Blizzard clearly loves Illidan the most.

Because Charizard was better than Trainer. But if you want to just pure 'zard, you have to play a gimped version of him. They each deserve to be their own character.
It sucks to lose a character you enjoy playing, but a lot of people like Pokemon Trainer precisely because of the switching mechanic being fun. As Smash 4 Zard was a relatively simple character, I'm sure fans of that playstyle could find another character they enjoy playing (I'm not sure how close they are, but my close friend who main'd Zard in 4 now plays Ridley) but there's not really another character for players who really enjoy Pokemon Trainer's unique gimmick. In my opinion, Ultimate Pkmn trainer is actually one of the best designed characters because the 3 pokemon are individually kind of mediocre characters but cover each other's weaknesses very well.

This is only funny because it's so ridiculous and it'll never happen. I doubt anyone who is even semi-invested in Smash would actually be happy with this, and this is coming from someone wouldn't even mind if we get another 3 Fire Emblem characters to round out FP2.

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Random Question for people who are interested. What are some of your "Personal Rules" you have for the Fighters Pass. Nothing confirmed or even widely believed by anyone obviously, but how do you narrow things down?

For Instance mine would be:
- CP9 WILL be a character with a warmer color background: Given Steve/Alex were Cyan and Sephiroth was a Greenish/Gray Background, I feel they're going to try and balance the banner out colorwise with a Red/Orange/Pink Background. Obviously that doesn't narrow things down much (Since I never would have pegged Terry for Blue). But it does make some sense to me.
- CP9 Will NOT be a Villain or from a Fantasy JRPG: We tend to not have characters of the same "Type" be back to back. (Closest I can think of is Joker-Hero. And even then there are some differences... While it doesn't exclude them from ever being included I doubt we'll get a Villain or Fantasy JRPG Person next.
- Series with Extensive Spirits will NOT get a New Character: Going by the fact that each Character comes with a Spirit Board, I'm discounting characters that have their series heavily Represented with Spirits (Rex/Pyra, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Tails, Eggman, Dixie) Characters like them would have no new spirits to add that aren't already there without going for ridiculously minor characters. Final Fantasy had NO Spirits to win, so Sephiroth never faced this, and ARMS only had a handful (5 Basegame, but they added 6 new ones for the DLC Spirit Board).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is only funny because it's so ridiculous and it'll never happen. I doubt anyone who is even semi-invested in Smash would actually be happy with this, and this is coming from someone wouldn't even mind if we get another 3 Fire Emblem characters to round out FP2.
Yeah, there's no defending a decision like that. It would be nothing but petty.

It would make a pretty funny April Fool's joke though. Make the trailer come out on April 1st, have the Sakurai Presents right afterward where Sakurai's just like "eh...he's got some jabs and some tilts...you should know how this character works", then shadowdrop the character right in the middle of the presentation.

Then have the actual next fighter reveal the next day and have it be someone crazy like Master Chief or something (or better yet, a character that would actually pull this kinda thing), with a release date of the week.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Everyone: "Why is it always Lloyd and Yuri, can someone give Velvet some love?"

Me: "View attachment 302406"

His design is more appealing and eye catching than Yuri and Lloyd, so he should be our Tales rep. Just sayin' (his name is Sorey btw)
Honestly Sorey would be really cool. Zestiria is a guilty pleasure of mine, and implementing armatization into his moveset could be interesting. If they didn't want to do a full transformation-based mechanic using the armatus (essentially five movesets lol), they could go the Byleth route and assign each element of the armatus to a special -- e.g. for his up special he could briefly armatize with Dezel and generate a big tornado for his recovery. Then his non-armatized artes could be his normals.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Everyone: "Why is it always Lloyd and Yuri, can someone give Velvet some love?"

Me: "View attachment 302406"

His design is more appealing and eye catching than Yuri and Lloyd, so he should be our Tales rep. Just sayin' (his name is Sorey btw)
If he had Rose as an alt and the ability to Armatize with all four seraphim, he would effectively be able to represent every major party member (that's with you by the end of the story) in the game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Random Question for people who are interested. What are some of your "Personal Rules" you have for the Fighters Pass. Nothing confirmed or even widely believed by anyone obviously, but how do you narrow things down?

For Instance mine would be:
- CP9 WILL be a character with a warmer color background: Given Steve/Alex were Cyan and Sephiroth was a Greenish/Gray Background, I feel they're going to try and balance the banner out colorwise with a Red/Orange/Pink Background. Obviously that doesn't narrow things down much (Since I never would have pegged Terry for Blue). But it does make some sense to me.
- CP9 Will NOT be a Villain or from a Fantasy JRPG: We tend to not have characters of the same "Type" be back to back. (Closest I can think of is Joker-Hero. And even then there are some differences... While it doesn't exclude them from ever being included I doubt we'll get a Villain or Fantasy JRPG Person next.
- Series with Extensive Spirits will NOT get a New Character: Going by the fact that each Character comes with a Spirit Board, I'm discounting characters that have their series heavily Represented with Spirits (Rex/Pyra, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Tails, Eggman, Dixie) Characters like them would have no new spirits to add that aren't already there without going for ridiculously minor characters. Final Fantasy had NO Spirits to win, so Sephiroth never faced this, and ARMS only had a handful (5 Basegame, but they added 6 new ones for the DLC Spirit Board).
CP9 will a character from the game where the songs I've been playing on the guitar recently are from. This means the options are:
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Counting songs I might be playing soon, this list also includes Adol, Adol, and Adol
As you can see, I am very much in an Ys phase.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anywho, here's a fun discussion topic. You have to add three first party characters and challenge packs for each of them for a post pass situation. Who relatively realistically do you choose?
1. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
2. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
3. Mii Mage

It sucks to lose a character you enjoy playing, but a lot of people like Pokemon Trainer precisely because of the switching mechanic being fun. As Smash 4 Zard was a relatively simple character, I'm sure fans of that playstyle could find another character they enjoy playing
At a bare minimum, I want solo Charizard to come back as a Trainer echo.

FP 9-11 has to be my most wanted characters.

"making sense" doesn't matter to Nintendo.
He said the rules can be nonsense.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Going by the fact that each Character comes with a Spirit Board, I'm discounting characters that have their series heavily Represented with Spirits (Rex/Pyra, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, Tails, Eggman, Dixie) Characters like them would have no new spirits to add that aren't already there without going for ridiculously minor characters.
As someone who has created a theoretical Spirit Board, I can say that this is absolutely not the case for Rex & Pyra/Mythra, and mostly not the case for Bandana Waddle Dee.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 does have all of the main party members, but it does not have any of their Blades sans Pyra and Mythra, who wouldn't be on the board in the first place, and Poppi α. It also doesn't have the main villain, the other antagonists (most notably, Jin), or the main party of Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country. EDIT: I forgot about Vandham and Roc...Just like the game did!

Kirby is oddly missing a lot of the main antagonists from Kirby's Return to Dreamland onward, and while I did have to pull some of the Spirits from my stage idea (which is something they would probably do, and I wouldn't call most of the Mid-Bosses ridiculously minor anyways), the whole thing is also ignoring the fact that the character would definitely put emphasis on whatever new game they've got cooking, so they'd have that to work with as well not too unlike with Byleth's Spirit Board.

Last edited:

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
Aren't red and yellow counted as warmer colors, though?
Red and yellow are warm colors, idk what they were thinking. Minmin's color looks like a tennis ball, which straddles the line between warm and cool.

Sometimes the colors they use for backgrounds are clearly coordinated and other times it seems pretty random

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's why Poliwhirl is front and cover of Time Magazine, even taking billing over Pikachu.

View attachment 301294

Roses are red,
Grass is green,
Poliwhirl's on the cover,
of Time Magazine
BUT WHY IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was Satoshi Tajiri, he mentioned his favorite is Poliwag, and since he would've been a big influence behind the franchise at the time it would make sense that the line was pushed more as a result until things solidified.
Oh.

Sucks to not be quoted in response to a question you ask.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
CP9 will a character from the game where the songs I've been playing on the guitar recently are from. This means the options are:
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Adol
  • Counting songs I might be playing soon, this list also includes Adol, Adol, and Adol
As you can see, I am very much in an Ys phase.
Likewise, CP10 will be a character from the game where the songs I’ve been playing on marimba recently are from. This narrows things down to:
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Miles Edgeworth
  • Apollo Justice
  • Athena Cykes
  • and Phoenix Wright
(I finished replaying the original Ace Attorney trilogy and now I’m learning/playing through a lot of AA music on marimba — I’m considering arranging Godot’s theme as a solo)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's a pale yellow, and yellows aren't warm unless their formulas use lots of black. The red flies, but that's definitely more of an odd one out.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Likewise, CP10 will be a character from the game where the songs I’ve been playing on marimba recently are from. This narrows things down to:
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Miles Edgeworth
  • Apollo Justice
  • Athena Cykes
  • and Phoenix Wright
(I finished replaying the original Ace Attorney trilogy and now I’m learning/playing through a lot of AA music on marimba — I’m considering arranging Godot’s theme as a solo)
Here are the characters that will be added, based on what songs I can play on either my Ukulele, Bass or Trombone

-Sans
-Master Chief
-All the members of the band Green Day
-Sora

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Imagine a character getting green lights on everything necessary to be included and then being dismissed because the status of the spirits aren't notable enough, or they'd have to use a different piece of art that isn't already included. I don't think so.

Not every facet is of equal importance. The characters are the foundation; they're going to choose them and build from there. And every plausible candidate has enough content on which to draw. Some people act like Smash has wrung every last bit of material out of some truly huge franchises, which is bananas.

BUT WHY IS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh.

Sucks to not be quoted in response to a question you ask.
Funny story about the Time magazine with the Pokemon cover. I remember my dad reading it when it was the current issue, and I saw Pokemon on the cover, and I said, "I wanna read it!", and then he gave it to me and I realized that it was not in fact about being the best like no one ever was, but about the business about Pokemon going global and making kids lose their minds (when not giving them seizures) and that I was like six and didn't understand half the words and it was boring as ****.

They bamboozled me with adulthood. That's what I get for judging the magazine by the cover.

But that magazine still exists somewhere at my parents' house because despite it being about stuff I wouldn't appreciate for another ten years after that (and I did eventually re-read it) I nevertheless demanded it not be thrown out because it had Pokemon on the cover.

Don't listen to grampa, red and yellow are warm colours.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Okay, guys, I thought I'd play a lil game if you're all interested.
If you could add newcomers to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate from any (or every) series, regardless of 'importance' to their series, how many or how few characters are currently included, how many characters are in the game, fan rules, taking up 'slots' from someone else, or how relevant they are..who would you choose?
No judgments, just curious..here are my choices.
:ultpokemontrainer:: Team Rocket/Meowth, Eevee, Rillaboom
:ultmario:: Captain Toad, King Boo, Paper Mario, Waluigi
:ultyoshi:: Kamek, Birdo (echo), Baby Mario and Baby Luigi (echo)
:ultdk:: Dixie (Semi echo), DK Jr (Echo)
:ultfox:: Andross
:ultminmin: Twintelle (Semi echo)
:ultpacman:: Ms Pacman (Echo)
:ultsonic:: Eggman, Tails (Semi echo)
:ultkirby:: Bandana Dee, Marx
:ultlink:: Lynel, Vaati, Skull Kid Echo, Impa (Echo)--- OR-- Each of the 4 Champions, separately
:ultisabelle:: Tom Nook, KK Slider
:ultwiifittrainer:: (Taking Liberty from Ring Fit) Dragaux
:ultolimar:: Pikmin 4 lead (semi echo)
:ulticeclimbers:: (Taking 'Classic' Liberty here)- Excite Biker, Balloon Fighter,
Isaac. Cant ignore saying that if I'm listing most Nintendo series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom