• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So curious question given how much stock folks are putting into Crash. How certain are you that he's among the final 3?
I give him a 65% chance of happening. He is a gaming icon (as acknowledged by Nintendo twice now) and he got a comeback just in the nick of time to be considered. And a strong comeback too. Crash is back in the spotlight as he should be and Activision is a non-issue as they initiated the deal to get Donkey and Bowser in Skylanders and they have consistently published games for Nintendo.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So curious question given how much stock folks are putting into Crash. How certain are you that he's among the final 3?
The only roadblock Crash really faces here is the language barrier and that's been dealt with twice by Microsoft. Unless Nintendo is tired of dealing with people overseas or they simply just pick somebody else instead then Crash Bandicoot really doesn't have anything going against him. I'll be bold and predict he is one of the final three characters.

Pillow

Smash Lord
The only roadblock Crash really faces here is the language barrier and that's been dealt with twice by Microsoft. Unless Nintendo is tired of dealing with people overseas or they simply just pick somebody else instead then Crash Bandicoot really doesn't have anything going against him. I'll be bold and predict he is one of the final three characters.
It's not really a language barrier. Smash prioritizes the Japanese audience, that's just a fact. The only western characters that exist within the game are all heavily Nintendo associated characters (yes, even Banjo) and Steve who is arguably the biggest character in the game next to Mario and Sonic. I'd still say Crash has a decent shot, but I'd like to point out that his popularity in Japan is overstated. He's not unknown for sure, but he's definitely a pick that caters to the western crowd, which makes me doubt his chances somewhat.

Hayabusa is definitely coming, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Unpopular opinion, but I'm not feeling Crash as strongly as everyone else is. Maybe it's just not me being interested enough to look at him more closely (Probably the case, I mainly look into characters that really reach out to me and just hope I get lucky), but I haven't found anything that really hooks me beyond "Crash is iconic." While I agree, I feel like his influence is just a little overstated. His popularity petered out after the PlayStation era, and he's only made a resurgence recently. I don't think he's as huge as he used to be. Not to say he isn't iconic, but he's not mindblowingly so.

Sure, he doesn't have much going against him, but the majority of the DLC we've gotten have had the odds stacked against them. The only truly "obvious" character was Steve; Maybe Byleth and Hero too, but the former would've seemed too recent for FP1 and the latter wasn't as popular in the West. It just feels like he's a bit too... "easy", so to speak. Might seem like an odd was to evaluate somebody, but the majority of Smash DLC hasn't been very obvious and I'm hesitant to go along with any of the "hot topic" characters.

It feels kinda like Doomguy was; A big Western character who was big in the 90's, began falling off, made a resurgence in recent years, and has good Nintendo connections. Crash has less going against him, yes, but I'm seeing a couple parallels. Just felt like mentioning that. Granted, my experience back then was outside of SmashBoards, so there might be a couple discrepancies.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I could definitely see him being our March reveal given that's when the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy releases.
Ehhh...personally I'm not sure how much they actually try to align the DLC reveals with other game news. The only time I can recall this happening is with Isabelle's trailer being tied to the AC reveal. If they really were gonna try to do something like that, then I'd probably bet on Monster Hunter instead to align with Rise's release, a game that Nintendo has been pushing a lot unlike Ninja Gaiden.

Sure, he doesn't have much going against him, but the majority of the DLC we've gotten have had the odds against them. The only truly "obvious" character was Steve;
Honestly, I think the amount of leaks surrounding him made Steve sound way more obvious than he was. Minecraft is gigantic, but many saw him as a character who didn't fit in Smash. "A stage would be better, his animations would look too choppy, he's a Western character that started as an indie game on the PC" there were a lot of these sort of statements made against him when he was first leaked.

But I'm kind of the opinion that all the "obvious" characters were already in Smash even before Ultimate. We're living in a world where Master Chief and Reimu Hakurei are considered "obvious" picks. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Unpopular opinion, but I'm not feeling Crash as strongly as everyone else is. Maybe it's just not me being interested enough to look at him more closely (Probably the case, I mainly look into characters that really reach out to me and just hope I get lucky), but I haven't found anything that really hooks me beyond "Crash is iconic." While I agree, I feel like his influence is just a little overstated. His popularity petered out after the PlayStation era, and he's only made a resurgence recently. I don't think he's as huge as he used to be. Not to say he isn't iconic, but he's not mindblowingly so.

Sure, he doesn't have much going against him, but the majority of the DLC we've gotten have had the odds against them. The only truly "obvious" character was Steve; Maybe Byleth and Hero too, but the former would've seemed too recent for FP1 and the latter wasn't as popular in the West. It just feels like he's a bit too... "easy", so to speak. Might seem like an odd was to rank somebody, but the majority of Smash DLC hasn't been very obvious and I'm hesitant to go along with any of the "hot topic" characters.

It feels kinda like Doomguy was; A big Western character who was big in the 90's, began falling off, made a resurgence in recent years, and has good Nintendo connections. Crash has less going against him, yes, but I'm seeing a couple parallels. Just felt like mentioning that. Granted, my experience back then was outside of SmashBoards, so there might be a couple discrepancies.
Finally. I actually thought I was the only one feeling folks have been overconfident on Crash's chances. In all honestly, I don't expect him to happen but won't come off surprised if he does and if so I'll be thrilled as someone that wants him.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Finally. I actually thought I was the only one feeling folks have been overconfident on Crash's chances. In all honestly, I don't expect him to happen but won't come off surprised if he does and if so I'll be thrilled as someone that wants him.
You say people are overconfident in Crash, but I've seen people just as if not more overconfident in Hayabusa and/or MonHun, Are these situations not similar? The overconfidence issue goes both ways.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
You say people are overconfident in Crash, but I've seen people just as if not more overconfident in Hayabusa and/or MonHun, Are these situations not similar? The overconfidence issue goes both ways.
I mean, I think the Monster Hunter costumes coming back is more likely at the moment. Especially if the theory that the next character is coming in March is true. Easy Rise promotion, right there.

Pillow

Smash Lord
So long as people understand that nothing is 100% and fall unto dis pear if their predictions don't come true, then overconfidence isn't even an issue. It's totally okay to believe in the characters you want. I'm always down to discuss my own opinions of characters chances, but I feel sometimes people bring this sort of thing up just because they want to see some others dump on a specific character.

You laugh, but when March comes around and Sephiroth gets revealed a second time; you won’t laugh. :4pacman:
It'll be Kingdom Hearts Sephiroth, just to really rustle the jimmies of Sora fans.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I would say allow people to be Confident, Overconfident, whatever type of confident in their character

at the end of the day, it's only speculation. If they are wrong, then they are wrong. if they are right, then they are so very right

Personally though, I'm very confident in Crash and Ryu not happening as Playable characters, especially Crash

Pillow

Smash Lord
at the end of the day, it's only speculation. If they are wrong, then they are wrong. if they are right, then they are so very right
Here's the money question for everyone then. Which character, if revealed, would be the one that lets you say "**** all y'all, I was right all along"?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here's the money question for everyone then. Which character, if revealed, would be the one that lets you say "**** all y'all, I was right all along"?
Chosen Undead or Kiryu at this point. I mean I guess I could say Hayabusa because he’s my most wanted but I think a lot of people are outright expecting him at this point, which kind of makes me nervous not gonna lie, but Kiryu and Chosen Undead have both been largely written off by the community because they aren’t most people first choice for a character from their respective companies and I just feel like we’re falling into that same trap we always fall in where our collective consciousness kinda overrides everything else.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Shadow the Hedgehog

Ever since Base game I've been saying that he'd be in as an Unique Newcomer and wouldn't be an echo, because the Shadow echo bandwagon was very high during Base game, to the point that he was considered a Lock as an echo

I was wrong about him being a Base game newcomer, but I wasn't wrong about him not being an echo. I didn't really predict him for FP1 because I knew it wasn't his time, but I've been predicting him for FP2 since it was announced, and especially after Min Min, and if he gets into FP2 not only would I get my most wanted character, but I will get some type of satisfaction that I was right about Shadow not being an echo Fighter but instead his own Fighter

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If I had to make a serious guess to who's joining, it'd be Hayabusa and Porky. With how long characters can be in development for, it can't be a coincidence that characters like Steve and Sephiroth were rumored so long ago. Hayabusa is definitely one of those characters that has been brought up a bunch due to similar rumors. Despite me not having much of a personal attachment to the character or his franchise what so ever, I can absolutely see him happening.

Porky on the other hand I would not count on as much as Hayabusa, but I feel like this man was planned to join from the start and it will eventually explain why he's never shown up in Ultimate in practically any shape or form. God if I know how he'll even play or look like if he does get in. It's just for me, personally, this is what I believe in. I won't expect it in the same way that I expect Hayabusa to show up, but yeah.

As for the third fighter, honestly, no idea. The easy answer is to say Crash, but something tells me he's not happening. Porky and Hayabusa are the only ones I feel somewhat confident about. Though nothing is really set in stone, of course.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
At the end of the day, Speculation is not about who "wins" it's just about talking about cool characters and predicting, If you're right, you're right, if you're wrong, you're wrong. Pretty low stakes and should be pretty chill

Euden, Estelle or Sakura.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Dovahkiin, the Western rep from a company many had written off because of the Vault Boy Mii.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m not super confident in it but if there’s a Western made character coming I think it’s easily Crash. Other than that there’s nothing really leaning in his favor but that doesn’t mean a whole lot when nothing leaned in Steve or Sephiroth’s favor lol

Considering 8 of the last 9 characters hit me out of left field, all foundations for me to be able to predict anything have been shattered.

The closest thing would be if we got Monster Hunter but the moveset didn't take anything specifically from Rise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That was already Steve for me.

I got no one else that would say that. Though I guess Dixie Kong partnered with Kiddy Kong could get that response?

Pillow

Smash Lord
Chosen Undead or Kiryu at this point. I mean I guess I could say Hayabusa because he’s my most wanted but I think a lot of people are outright expecting him at this point, which kind of makes me nervous not gonna lie, but Kiryu and Chosen Undead have both been largely written off by the community because they aren’t most people first choice for a character from their respective companies and I just feel like we’re falling into that same trap we always fall in where our collective consciousness kinda overrides everything else.
As much as I'd love Kiryu I have some doubts about his chances. Hard agree on Chosen Undead though...I just wish the character had a less awkward name. Dark Souls is absolutely a gigantic franchise, but I just think that Unkindled or Sekiro sound far better than "Chosen Undead" blegh. The ideal for me would be Sekiro bringing in other FromSoft content with him like Terry did for SNK, since I think he'd animate and move way better in Smash than the clunky dark souls protagonists.

Phoenix Wright and Pyramid Head. I think they have a way bigger chance than people give them credit for.
Gosh I hope you're right

Rex, Euden, and Laharl (or any Disgaea rep).
Disgaea! But I'd prefer Etna wth a prinny ...seriously those stupid penguin things would fit right in, in Smash

I’m not super confident in it but if there’s a Western made character coming I think it’s easily Crash.
But the Chief tho.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Euden. Though I already got Steve and K. Rool correct as well soooooooooooooo...................................

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just don't see how in the year 2021 that Mother of all Nintendo franchises gets an all new character, let alone as DLC.

The only thing that would change my mind is like, Porky having Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo levels of fan demand...which I kinda doubt he has.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just don't see how in the year 2021 that Mother of all Nintendo franchises gets an all new character, let alone as DLC.

The only thing that would change my mind is like, Porky having Ridley/K. Rool/Banjo levels of fan demand...which I kinda doubt he has.
I don’t think anyone brought up Mother.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Neat concept video for the girl from Rhythm Heaven. It's just a concept from a random guy, but I found it funny that this same dude made an in-depth analysis of hangman.
That's "Who's your most wanted?" with extra steps.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don’t think anyone brought up Mother.
It was me that brought Mother/Porky up. And trust me that I agree with you all that it'd make absolutely no sense to bring in a mother rep as DLC of all things in 2021. It's just my personal belief that they have Porky planned for some reason due to his exclusion from Smash Ultimate as a whole. Not as confident in Ryu Hayabusa, but Porky would definitely confuse a lot of people by joining. By all accounts it should not happen, but part of me feels like it will.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It was me that brought Mother/Porky up. And trust me that I agree with you all that it'd make absolutely no sense to bring in a mother rep as DLC of all things in 2021. It's just my personal belief that they have Porky planned for some reason due to his exclusion from Smash Ultimate as a whole. Not as confident in Ryu Hayabusa, but Porky would definitely confuse a lot of people by joining
He was in the absolutely safe capsule.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think the one that'd really make me go "**** all y'all, I was right all along" is Eevee. Isaac's too much of a common request.
That's "Who's your most wanted?" with extra steps.
In my case it'd be "See? Told you they weren't impossible!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom