• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You know it is interesting how most people view Koei-Tecmo and Arc System Works when it comes to a potential rep in Smash. Ninja Gaiden is considered to be likely for being an NES original whereas Guilty Gear is considered somewhat likely because it's ASW's top franchise at the moment. If you flip the 2 reasonings for both companies, Dynasty Warriors would be considered likely for being KT's top franchise at the moment whereas Double Dragon would be considered likely for being an NES original, but they don't get talked about as much as the other 2 franchises do.
I'd consider Kunio the more likely NES ArcSys rep, because while Double Dragon was more popular in NA, Kunio was much bigger than Double Dragon in Japan.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
looks at Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories

I mean, that was practically the game used to justify Cloud long before Theatrhythm and Final Fantasy Explorers.
There was also re: coded where he was in your party along with Hercules for the Olympus segment

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Alright, let's see...

PROS:
  • Splatoon 2 sold like crazy
  • Potential hints for something new with the Save Our Salmons 2020 art
  • Could potentially support a pack with Octo Expansion content
CONS:
  • The Inklings were promoted pretty prominently in the base game. Nintendo may feel that Splatoon as a whole is represented well enough with the Inklings.
  • Smash in general doesn't really favor DLC and post-launch content. From a marketing standpoint, this is probably because the base game is more than likely going to be bought before the DLC and make more money, so it makes more sense to push that instead.
  • The Save Our Salmons thing doesn't necessarily have to prominently feature the Octolings, so even if there's more Splatoon content down the line the Octolings might not be at the forefront.
  • Callie and Marie received Mii Costumes with Min Min's wave. I find this to be particularly damning, as it would be very odd to not have the Splatoon content come with a Splatoon fighter, even if they're from the same game.
    Persona Miis came with Joker, DQ Miis came with Hero, SNK Miis came with Terry, Ninjara came with Min Min, Minecraft Miis came with Steve, and Final Fantasy Miis came with Sephiroth.
    As such, Splatoon Miis would most likely have to come with a Splatoon fighter, but they didn't. Yeah...
Overall: Sorry guys, not really feeling it.
slight counterpoint to the last Con point: Callie and Marie were labeled as Splatoon 1, not 2. Also, it seems they were a part of the "making ATs into costumes" trend like with Akira Yuki in Terry's pack, Bomberman in Steve's, I think there was yet another AT made into a costume I'm forgetting

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Granted, but that's the "ACTUALLY, Cloud is in Theatrhythm!" situation, only without the decades of Final Fantasy history with Nintendo supporting it.

I'll be annoyed if Octolings get more than an Echo spot.
Yeah but in Sakurai's own words, "I might have had misgivings if Cloud didn't appear on a Nintendo console", so it counts in his book. His later statements saying "**** the console wars" for Cloud in that same interview and again for Banjo also suggests Sakurai'd add a Sony character if they approached him

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Because, I simply can't see us getting any other Third Parties besides Hayabusa. I think this Pass is going to be more of a 50/50 Split between First and Third Parties. Which means that the Orange Marsupial, unfortunately, was held back. If Hayabusa is somehow Deconfirmed, or we get a Third Party that isn't him in March. Also, Sakurai had some input with all of Ultimate's DLC, as he was able to Deny any character he wanted to. Considering how I can't see two more Third Parties Happening, at most it's one. Not only that, but back in Last February, Sakurai said that plans had to be cancelled with a Big Third Party Name due to Covid. A Part of me has a Gut Feeling the Cancellation may have been Crash. Not only that, but being Western is far more of a Disadavntage than people consider it. Notice how we only just got a Western Third Party in Smash back in 2019 with Banjo. And Banjo had two literal DECADES of Fan Requests, Direct Company Support, another character also from his Parent Company taking too long, and a Moveset distinct enough to warrant being DLC. And, as I have mentioned before, Steve is from ****ing MINECRAFT! The Biggest Game of all time. Worldwide Fame, Started Indie, with it also being the only reason why Nintendo and Microsoft are as Buddy Buddy as they are now. I think with how long Steve took, and how Banjo only got in because of Steve, it essentially confirms being Western is a HUGE Drawback for your chances in Smash if you need literally everything else to go in your favor in order for you to even get Considered for a Playable Slot in the First Place. And unless Crash was the one character in which Sakurai could never Veto, even if it directly hindered Development, which I doubt because of how long Steve took, And again, does Crash fit the "Great Nintendo Relations", or "Unique Enough to Warrant DLC" Categories that even Banjo fell into, or is it just because of one Trilogy coming to Switch that makes you think Crash is inevitable? You're just setting yourself up for Disappointment if you're expecting Crash to get in. Especially since he's held back by so much. Unfortunate, but I simply don't see Volume 2 being Crash's Day. Again, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and will be very grateful if he gets in, but considering everything else going against him, especially how long Steve took, I simply think he got popular at the wrong time. Maybe next time, buddy, maybe next time.
this is how bandana dee still wins

SharkLord

Smash Hero
slight counterpoint to the last Con point: Callie and Marie were labeled as Splatoon 1, not 2. Also, it seems they were a part of the "making ATs into costumes" trend like with Akira Yuki in Terry's pack, Bomberman in Steve's, I think there was yet another AT made into a costume I'm forgetting
Thing is, no matter how you slice it it's still Splatoon. Even if they were continuing the AT-to-Costume trend, it makes no sense to split up the Splatoon content if there was more coming down the line.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can I get a rating on Chibi-Robo?
PROS:
  • Cult classic series
  • Still seems to get a couple of requests for Smash
CONS:
  • Very under-the-radar due to a lack of advertising
  • Zip-Lash pretty much killed the series due to an uncertain audience
  • Lacks extreme fan support like Banjo or K. Rool to break him out of irrelevancy hell
Overall: Press F To Pay Respects
A Kid Icarus Uprising rep.
PROS:
  • KIU did pretty well, especially when you consider the franchises' status at that point
  • Sakurai worked on the game
CONS:
  • No signs of continuing the series
  • Not much to pull from for Challenger Packs that aren't already represented
  • Sakurai doesn't get to choose the DLC
Overall: Maybe next time
Uhh Mario brothers???
PROS:
  • For better or worse, the Mario movie is infamous and unforgettable
  • Extreme meme value by virtue of being from the Mario movie
CONS:
  • Wahoominati might not take too well to the differences
  • Upcoming Illumination movie might take priority
  • Potential rights issues with the actor's likeness
Overall: My ratings have already devolved

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, it does seem that the general trend so far across both games with DLC content is that Smash DLC has gotten used for 3 things: veterans (now moot since there are none left to add), 1st party characters from recent games, or 3rd parties. I think there is a sense of realism with which you have to approach some of these things. You certainly wouldn't hear any complaining from me personally if they decided to offer a revival of an older Nintendo character as DLC, but the history doesn't imply that it's likely.

And that's coming from someone who would be equally pleased by seeing Lip or Ayumi Tachibana compared to much more famous and prominent 3rd parties. I'm just of the opinion that picks like those are really "base game or not at all".
Which honestly touches upon a couple aspects I find positively baffling about Nintendo's handling of its smaller IP. Not just with lets say Famicom Detective Club's remake being Japan exclusive (... like, why in an era where anime is regularily exported via Crunchyroll in the West and Bilibili in China - just to name two examples?), but also since they have perfectly fine IPs like say StarTropics that are currently gathering dust.

Alright, let's play a game. Pitch me a first-party character and I'll evaluate their chances. See if we can expand our horizons, or at least jot down a couple darkhorses who may have a shot, slim as it may be.
Slowpoke. (Damn, mixed it up with Slowbro initially, thanks C chocolatejr9 )

I mean, the Mon's in an ongoing KFC / Pokemon push in China together with already-in Mons (the link to Zhuge's post has an auto-play ad in it, so everyone knows):

(Yeah, I know, just want to see what the Pros / Cons would be. I can guess a couple Cons already, but still, I'm curious.)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Which honestly touches upon a couple aspects I find positively baffling about Nintendo's handling of its smaller IP. Not just with lets say Famicom Detective Club's remake being Japan exclusive (... like, why in an era where anime is regularily exported via Crunchyroll in the West and Bilibili in China - just to name two examples?), but also since they have perfectly fine IPs like say StarTropics that are currently gathering dust.

Slowbro.

I mean, the Mon's in an ongoing KFC / Pokemon push in China together with already-in Mons (the link to Zhuge's post has an auto-play ad in it, so everyone knows):

(Yeah, I know, just want to see what the Pros / Cons would be. I can guess a couple Cons already, but still, I'm curious.)
Actually, that's Slowpoke.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given that we're so long away from the infamy of Hotel Mario and the Zelda CD-I games I do hope that Nintendo can be willing to let smaller companies do something with these old inactive properties again. I mean Sega did a fat lot of nothing with Streets of Rage for 25 years and then finally allowed a formal sequel which ended up fantastic.

Who's to say the same can't happen with a Star Tropics, Ice Climbers, or F-Zero?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
PROS:
  • Well... Seems to be a cult classic from what I can gather
CONS:
  • Apparently it was rather overlooked
  • No activity for the franchise in over a decade
  • No fan support to push him
Overall: oof
Well if you ignore all of the cons you mentioned, the tons of other cons that aren't listed, N Space (the company who made the game) being defunct, Nintendo paying absolutely no attention to the series, with no references ever being made to it (even lacking a spirit compared to Eternal Darkness), it's low sales numbers and the game being an obscure western Nintendo product from the Gamecube era that in itself Nintendo hasn't delved into yet with Nintendo Switch Online, I'd say he has a pretty good chance.

Last edited:

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
Given that we're so long away from the infamy of Hotel Mario and the Zelda CD-I games I do hope that Nintendo can be willing to let smaller companies do something with these old inactive properties again. I mean Sega did a fat lot of nothing with Streets of Rage for 25 years and then finally allowed a formal sequel which ended up fantastic.

Who's to say the same can't happen with a Star Tropics, Ice Climbers, or F-Zero?
Is this not what's happening with the Famicom Detective Club remakes being done by Mages? Doesn't really seem likely that it'll affect Smash-related stuff in any way in this case, though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Slowpoke. (Damn, mixed it up with Slowbro initially, thanks C chocolatejr9 )

I’m surprised Jigglypuff was used in that promotional material.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Is this not what's happening with the Famicom Detective Club remakes being done by Mages? Doesn't really seem likely that it'll affect Smash-related stuff in any way in this case, though.
Its definitely a start. It and Cadence of Hyrule suggest they're starting to become a bit more comfortable with it gradually.

RiderFan

Smash Rookie
I doubt we are getting a Pokemon.
But why? It's one of Nintendo's biggest franchise with the newest generation still unrepresented aside from a Spirit Event, let alone celebrating the 25th anniversary this year. People also use the spirit event as deconfirmation, but don't realize that the spirits only had a handful a pre-release Pokemon and none of them were playable characters candidates like the fully evolved starters or something else like Dragapult, Toxtricity, etc. I see it as different from Three Houses because Three Houses was planned early on while the SwSh spirits happened post-FP1 planning and pre-FP2 planning so I see it as more promotional especially considering the spirits were just Pokemon only shown off at the time. I'm not saying a Pokemon is guaranteed, but come on people are dropping this way too easily when there's still discussions of Rex even who has both a spirit and a costume.

I don't mean to go off on a rant and I apologize in advance of I sound annoying, but I also don't understand what's going on with some of the Crash or Hayabusa conversations with some people being certain that they won't be in just because they've been discussed so much. I understand alleviating expectations of people seeing certain characters as locks, but why are are people suddenly more sure of what won't get in? Each character in the Fighter's Pass has been a surprise and has shown that most of time we can't predict who the next character is. It's kind been getting kind of off putting seeing some posts saying "this character isn't getting" when anything can legit happen.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Here's my own ratings. I'm doing ratings for the Doomslayer first, but I'll do more.

Pros
Massively popular, with a modding community still active over 25 years after the game originally came out.
Was a heavy influence on PC gaming and the industry in general, to the point where FPSes were first called "Doom clones".
Had a successful revival in 2016, with a sequel in 2020. Both are on the Switch.
Id Software was also a pioneer in graphics engines (mostly due to the work of former lead programmer John Carmack). Many game engines used today derive from technology made by Id.
Helped make the PC a legitimate platform for games.
Was ported to many consoles, some of which were outright flops, and fans made unofficial ports for just about any piece of electronics hardware you can find.
Bethesda are an active supporter of the Switch since it's launch, with Skyrim announced as the first third party port for the system.

Cons
May be seen as too violent for Smash.
The interview did not look good for Doomguy's chances.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But why? It's one of Nintendo's biggest franchise with the newest generation still unrepresented aside from a Spirit Event, let alone celebrating the 25th anniversary this year. People also use the spirit event as deconfirmation, but don't realize that the spirits only had a handful a pre-release Pokemon and none of them were playable characters candidates like the fully evolved starters or something else like Dragapult, Toxtricity, etc. I see it as different from Three Houses because Three Houses was planned early on while the SwSh spirits happened post-FP1 planning and pre-FP2 planning so I see it as more promotional especially considering the spirits were just Pokemon only shown off at the time. I'm not saying a Pokemon is guaranteed, but come on people are dropping this way too easily when there's still discussions of Rex even who has both a spirit and a costume.

I don't mean to go off on a rant and I apologize in advance of I sound annoying, but I also don't understand what's going on with some of the Crash or Hayabusa conversations with some people being certain that they won't be in just because they've been discussed so much. I understand alleviating expectations of people seeing certain characters as locks, but why are are people suddenly more sure of what won't get in? Each character in the Fighter's Pass has been a surprise and has shown that most of time we can't predict who the next character is. It's kind been getting kind of off putting seeing some posts saying "this character isn't getting" when anything can legit happen.
It has been explained why Gen 8 won’t be in this pass. Here is another good post. Sword and Shield is not special enough to avoid disconfirmation.

Also, Rex was disconfirmed only for the first pass, not for the second pass given the timing pf his Mii costume and his in-game spirit, making him more similar to Min Min.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Pokémon in the fighter's pass is like a sweater present at Christmas; you can't realistically write it off the possibility of getting it until the event is over.
**** it.

Newcomer thread, you can hold me to this. If a Gen 8 Pokemon makes it as DLC, I will not only make a Gru moveset, but also an entire Despicable Me-themed challenger pack.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, the suggestions are picking up now. Since there's more that I know of these guys and more to talk about, I'll be able to go a bit more in-depth with these guys. For this one, I'll be grouping the Xenoblade duo together out of shared franchise.
Because Rie didn't do it.

Elma.
PROS:
  • Lack of base game content leaves some bases to cover
  • Many Wii U games have been ported to the Switch, even smaller games like Pikmin 3 and Tokyo Mirage. XCX is one of the few major Wii U games left to port
  • Xenoblade has hit it big recently, meaning Nintendo has incentive to push it.
  • Elma was popular enough to get a trailer in XC2; Not even Shulk or KOS-MOS could manage that
CONS:
  • Base game content can be explained by Sawano rights issues, like with Sonic, Minecraft, Dragon Quest, and (formerly) Final Fantasy
  • Smash doesn't seem to push remakes and ports that much
  • An XCX port has been described as too much effort, as the entire game would have to be changed due to the differences between the Wii U and Switch. Even with more money from XCDE, it doesn't seem like something that can be plopped out on short notice
  • Going off of the above, MonoSoft is also working on BotW2 and a new fantasy IP alongside XCDE, which might take up too much of their time. If we get an XCX port, it'll probably be next year at the earliest, and I don't see Nintendo choosing a character to push a game three years in advance.
  • Rex overshadows her in most areas, which I'll mention below to avoid redundancy.
Overall: She does have a shot, but it hinges on a bunch of unknown variables that might end up going against her. At the moment, her foundation is too shaky and she's stuck as a darkhorse at best.
Rex and Pyra/Mythra
PROS:
  • XC2 was the breakthrough hit for MonoSoft and Xenoblade, selling quite well for a niche, complex JRPG that hasn't historically done very well.
  • He has lots of requests under his belt, especially in Japan
  • His game is still getting pushed even now, showing up in magazines alongside XCDE and being promoted in MonoSoft's Twitter header with it's older (technically younger) brother as well.
  • The Mii Costume was available on the day the game released and is a free bonus, making it a smaller roadblock than most DLC Miis. More importantly, Nia's Mii Costume is also part of the base game, and she's not even the game's main protagonist; Rex is. Overall, it seems like his Mii Costume leans closer to a base game Mii than a standard DLC Mii.
  • Min Min proves that base game Spirits can be used in the Spirit Boards, and even then it's missing a decent chunk of the Blades; If we consider that Rex, Pyra, and Mythra would probably get a Fighter Spirit, XC2 would have only one more reused Spirit than ARMS.
CONS:
  • Nintendo might still consider the costume to be like most DLC costumes and market it as such
  • Nintendo could feel that Xenoblade has enough representation, or want to push a different side of the series.
Overall: Actually starting to really feel this guy. I think he has the clearest path out of any first-party, and in general.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
**** it.

Newcomer thread, you can hold me to this. If a Gen 8 Pokemon makes it as DLC, I will not only make a Gru moveset, but also an entire Despicable Me-themed challenger pack.
Goddamn Speed Weed really just made me more excited for a SWSH character than people who actually want one could

Pillow

Smash Lord

Not gonna claim an 8th gen pokemon is unlikely, but I also feel like having no clear frontrunner for the generation lowers the chances a bit. The closest would be Cinderace or Urshifu. Greninja and Lucario were both clear frontrunners from their respective gens. Incineroar, not so much, but Sakurai definitely had an obligatory pokemon quota to fill for a new base game that I'm not sure will be the case for DLC.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not gonna claim an 8th gen pokemon is unlikely, but I also feel like having no clear frontrunner for the generation lowers the chances a bit. The closest would be Cinderace or Urshifu. Greninja and Lucario were both clear frontrunners from their respective gens. Incineroar, not so much, but Sakurai definitely had an obligatory pokemon quota to fill for a new base game that I'm not sure will be the case for DLC.
Yeah, and Urshifu is also unlikely by virtue of Isle of Armor being the awkward middle child of the DLC. Cinderace is somewhat of a frontrunner, as it is the most popular and prominent of the Gen 8 starters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Idk about Lucario but Greninja never got brought up for Smash 4 from what I saw, everyone was banking on Zoroark happening too

RiderFan

Smash Rookie
It has been explained why Gen 8 won’t be in this pass. Here is another good post. Sword and Shield is not special enough to avoid disconfirmation.
Again, missing the major point: unlike other spirit events the SwSh one doesn't have a candidate that could be a character. Resident Evil had Jill, Leon, and Chris which crossed off any potential candidates while Pokemon had first stage starters grouped together, Zacian and Zamazenta, and a handful of other Pokemon. So as I said in my post, there are still potential candidates to become playable as well as additional spirits for dlc spirits like Eternatus and Calyrex.

Another thing is, your "explanations" and my reasonings are both just fan rules/theories which means there's nothing certain about a Pokemon getting in or not getting in at all. There's always a possibility and reasons why it's still possible just as much as there is for one not getting on.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Again, missing the major point: unlike other spirit events the SwSh one doesn't have a candidate that could be a character. Resident Evil had Jill, Leon, and Chris which crossed off any potential candidates while Pokemon had first stage starters grouped together, Zacian and Zamazenta, and a handful of other Pokemon. So as I said in my post, there are still potential candidates to become playable as well as additional spirits for dlc spirits like Eternatus and Calyrex.

Another thing is, your "explanations" and my reasonings are both just fan rules/theories which means there's nothing certain about a Pokemon getting in or not getting in at all. There's always a possibility and reasons why it's still possible just as much as there is for one not getting on.
Always making exceptions for Pokemon because Pokemon. I can't see a Gen 8 Pokemon happening, especially now that we're soon to be 2 years out from the game's release.

RiderFan

Smash Rookie
I mean looking at the anime and Unite alone shows that Cinderace is the one they seem to push a lot right now. Heck, even the Gotcha music video had Cinderace facing off against Leon's Charizard.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Idk about Lucario but Greninja never got brought up for Smash 4 from what I saw,
That’s because Mewtwo was the Lucario of Gen 6 and with every previous Pokemon veteran at the time getting some Gen 6 love, the only reason why anyone would expect a new Pokemon is for the sake of having a new Pokemon, which turned out to be the precise reason why Greninja got in. In other words, it’s our strong logic and not accounting for arbitrary quotas (for Pokemon at least) that got us blindsighted.

Last edited:

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Alright, let's play a game. Pitch me a first-party character and I'll evaluate their chances. See if we can expand our horizons, or at least jot down a couple darkhorses who may have a shot, slim as it may be.
Alright how about Krystal.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That’s because Mewtwo was the Lucario of Gen 6 and with every previous Pokemon veteran at the time getting some Gen 6 love, the only reason why anyone would expect a new Pokemon is for the sake of having a new Pokemon, which turned out to be the precise reason why Greninja got in.
I don't think that comparison works because Mewtwo was already in Smash and thus wouldn't be a newcomer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom