• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Unrelated topic, but if Songs were added as smash DLC without needing to be tied to characters/costumes, what music would you guys like to see come to Smash?
Metal Gear Rising please and thank you
And throw in some Yakuza, including the Karaoke and Disco songs
Also all of KI 2013's OST

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just don't see him as quite the necessary character that some other people do when we have fellow PS1 icon Cloud who I feel embodies that Sony presence in Smash just about as well as Crash would.
While I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy and while I think Snake is a really cool character, I've never really played Metal Gear Solid game, But I still think their both worthy and iconic additions to Super Smash Bros.

The way see it , While FF and MGS are faces of the PS1 era, Crash Bandicoot was always seen as the de facto mascot of Sony's Playstation brand and similarly to Sonic the Hedgehog has always been compared to Mario because their platforming mascots and tackle similar genres and spinoffs such as kart racers.

Cloud and Snake were never compared to or pit against Mario because these franchises are drastically different and barely have anything in common with Mario, (JRPG, Stealth Action and Platformer.)

While it's cool to see these 2 mature icons in Smash which are known more Playstation associated, for a generation of kids Crash Bandicoot was their "Mario" and Many still want to see the "Classic Playground Argument" that is Crash Bandicoot fight actual Mario.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
While it's cool to see these 2 mature icons in Smash which are known more Playstation associated, for a generation of kids Crash Bandicoot was their "Mario" and Many still want to see the "Classic Playground Argument" that is Crash Bandicoot fight actual Mario
I mean, this still exists, OoT VS FFVII was a big one last I checked, possibly moreso than Mario vs Crash

Pillow

Smash Lord
Metal Gear Rising please and thank you
And throw in some Yakuza, including the Karaoke and Disco songs
Also all of KI 2013's OST
Yeah we need Baka Mitai, but covered 30 times by different people.

Also no one mentioned it, but I'm STILL super salty that Life Will Change didn't make it, especially after it was used in the Joker trailer.

While I'm not a fan of Final Fantasy and while I think Snake is a really cool character, I've never really played Metal Gear Solid game, But I still think their both worthy and iconic additions to Super Smash Bros.

The way see it , While FF and MGS are faces of the PS1 era, Crash Bandicoot was always seen as the de facto mascot of Sony's Playstation brand and similarly to Sonic the Hedgehog has always been compared to Mario because their platforming mascots and tackle similar genres and spinoffs such as kart racers.

Cloud and Snake were never compared to or pit against Mario because these franchises are drastically different and barely have anything in common with Mario, (JRPG, Stealth Action and Platformer.)

While it's cool to see these 2 mature icons in Smash which are known more Playstation associated, for a generation of kids Crash Bandicoot was their "Mario" and Many still want to see the "Classic Playground Argument" that is Crash Bandicoot fight actual Mario.
I agree it'd be cool to see all the 3D platform kings together in one spot. But lots of stuff would be pretty cool. Imagine all the JRPG boys together if they add Tales in. If they add Chief in we could have each main console repping their most notable genre (Nintendo/Platformer, PS/JRPG, Xbox/FPS). If they add Dante he could face off against Bayonetta. If Ryu Hyabusa gets in we get the last of the NES era icons. Just so much potential all around.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Unrelated topic, but if Songs were added as smash DLC without needing to be tied to characters/costumes, what music would you guys like to see come to Smash?
Wars music.

Of course ideally I'd like it to minimum come with a costume/stage, but I'll take what I can get with the series at this point.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I mean, this still exists, OoT VS FFVII was a big one last I checked, possibly moreso than Mario vs Crash
I'll be honest, Never heard this one growing up in my personal childhood bubble only Mario/Sonic/Crash so I never really undertood this argument seeing how one is an "Action Adventure" game and the other is a "JRPG".

Than again I'm not a fan or care about Zelda and Final Fantasy so there's probably something I don't know.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Anything Lobotomy Corp/Library of Ruina related. Some great bangers in there.

Besides that... I guess any song that would normally come with one of my MWs, if they didn't make it. So songs from Nier, Bomberman, Kingdom Hearts, League of Legends, etc.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'll be honest, Never heard this one growing up in my personal childhood bubble only Mario/Sonic/Crash so I never really undertood this argument seeing how one is an "Action Adventure" game and the other is a "JRPG".

Than again I'm not a fan or care about Zelda and Final Fantasy so there's probably something I don't know.
Both were the most wellknown 'mature' fantasy games on the systems and people have paired Cloud and Link for a long time. ****, remember the Nomura art we got for Smash 4?

f754b6eb1dd0925c4b40209184e8ef49.jpg

That's not a mere coincidence

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Xenoblade Chronicles X music (it's weird that a first party Nintendo game got, if I recall, no music tracks - Uncontrollable seems like one that really should be included), Metal Gear Rising music (even if it has to be instrumental), music from Final Fantasy games other than FF7 (especially Dancing Mad), Super Mario RPG music (that soundtrack is great, and if we can't get Geno, I'd like to see songs from that), and more Undertale songs. (I get that Megalovania's the big one, but there are plenty of other great songs)

EDIT: Also, Take Over and Life Will Change from Persona 5. I get that Persona 5 Royal came out after Joker's Smash appearance, but there's no excuse for leaving out Life Will Change.

EDIT 2: Final Battle from Banjo-Kazooie. I get that there's a snippet of it in Gobi's Valley, but why not include the full thing?

EDIT 3: Death Egg Robot and Final Boss (Showdown) - the last of those is the final boss music from Sonic Lost World, and while that game might not have gotten the best reception, the final boss music was great. Also, while the song's already in the game in some form, the orchestral version of Reach for the Stars from Sonic Colors' final boss is worth mentioning. I think I'm done editing this, though now I kind of want Eggman to be added partially for the possibility of Sonic boss music.

Last edited:

OffBrandANON

Smash Cadet
Both were the most wellknown 'mature' fantasy games on the systems and people have paired Cloud and Link for a long time. ****, remember the Nomura art we got for Smash 4?

View attachment 300383

That's not a mere coincidence
have i been on the internet too long, with how hearing about two characters being paired immediately makes me think shipping?
also, yeah, i think i remember this; it was big back in the day but was mostly forgotten, pretty sure.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Xenoblade Chronicles X music, Metal Gear Rising music (even if it has to be instrumental), music from Final Fantasy games other than FF7 (especially Dancing Mad), Super Mario RPG music (that soundtrack is great, and if we can't get Geno, I'd like to see songs from that), and more Undertale songs. (I get that Megalovania's the big one, but there are plenty of other great songs)

EDIT: Also, Take Over and Life Will Change from Persona 5. I get that Persona 5 Royal came out after Joker's Smash appearance, but there's no excuse for leaving out Life Will Change.
I don't know if anyone else here plays FFXIV, but Kefka's Dancing Mad remix in that game is so good (boss fight music in this game is just top tier in general). Hard agree on the Persona 5 stuff.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
have i been on the internet too long, with how hearing about two characters being paired immediately makes me think shipping?
also, yeah, i think i remember this; it was big back in the day but was mostly forgotten, pretty sure.
Nah, paired wasn't the best word to use, pit would have been better. Though hey, they're both blonde swordwielding twunks who've crossdressed at least once

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah Disney is way way bigger than Nintendo. Crying smash fans would be a drop in the ocean for them. That said, 2020 was likely not a great year for them so I doubt they’d be looking to burn any bridges...getting content in Smash is pretty much free money.

I like Plant :(
uumm 2020 was still a great year for disney. the parks closing doesn't mean much to them. did you see mulan's numbers or disney plus growth for hamilton alone? thats not even factoring in thier other revenue surces which covid didnt impact. smash inclusion isnt really gonna make a difference to them.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't remember there being a Zelda/FF rivalry either(especially since they used to be NES/SNES contemporaries).

For me, the rivalry was always between the platform mascots.

FF and DQ on the other hand...

View attachment 300384
I feel like a big part of the rivalry was on sites like GameFAQs, where character popularity contests boiled down to Link vs. Cloud pretty consistently. (probably because RPGs and puzzle-heavy games like Zelda were both types of games where you'd have to consult a walkthrough fairly often)

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't remember there being a Zelda/FF rivalry either(especially since they used to be NES/SNES contemporaries).

For me, the rivalry was always between the platform mascots.

FF and DQ on the other hand...

View attachment 300384
Later re-releases replaced Erdrick's name with Link on that tombstone.

Some AT-AT

Smash Apprentice
When was there an FF/Zelda rivalry? the only rivalries i know are between platfrom mascots like Mario, Sonic and Crash back in the 90s

SKX31

Smash Master
I feel like a big part of the rivalry was on sites like GameFAQs, where character popularity contests boiled down to Link vs. Cloud pretty consistently. (probably because RPGs and puzzle-heavy games like Zelda were both types of games where you'd have to consult a walkthrough fairly often)
I do remember that it boiled down to those two and characters like Mario and Chrono so often that some people started to push other characters: one year L-Block from Tetris won the contest, six years after that LoL's Draven did.

Ergo, L-Block and Draven confirmed for Smash. :4pacman:

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Chrono is the last of the Noble Nine that have yet to be playable in a Smash game.

I have a lot of confidence in Crash right now. With all the recent attention he's gotten, Nintendo would probably love it from a marketing standpoint. And with Sakurai being such a nerd about gaming history, I imagine he'd pounce at the opportunity to add a character with as important of a legacy as Crash.

Crash is one of the reasons I think a Fighters Pass 3 might actually happen. If he somehow didn't make the cut for FP2, then there has to be more DLC on the way. Passing up a character like Crash would be ludicrous.
Crash seems like one of those characters that can easily make it into a future Smash title at any point even if he misses out on Ultimate DLC, unlike characters like Geno and Isaac.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I got a weird question I got to ask

If Waluigi ever got into Smash, would he be the closet thing to getting Michael Jackson in the game since Waluigi loves dancing (and his most important role was in Mario DDR), and technically since Michael's Dance moves aren't trademarked, we could see stuff like the Moonwalk and the Lean in his moveset

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Chrono is the last of the Noble Nine that have yet to be playable in a Smash game.

Crash seems like one of those characters that can easily make it into a future Smash title at any point even if he misses out on Ultimate DLC, unlike characters like Geno and Isaac.
Crono’s ALSO on the Seven Squares list and has yet to appear in any form (not counting Sora if the “Disney said no” rumors are anything to go by meaning Sora gets jack squat)

I for some reason ain’t feelin a random CT spirit event

Otoad64

Smash Lord

If Waluigi ever got into Smash, would he be the closet thing to getting Michael Jackson in the game since Waluigi loves dancing (and his most important role was in Mario DDR), and technically since Michael's Dance moves aren't trademarked, we could see stuff like the Moonwalk and the Lean in his moveset
if he comes with ddr mario mix music then sure

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

Doesn't Bayo already have dance moves similar enough to that?

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
People definitely undersell Crono. Chrono Trigger may not be part of a major series like DQ or FF, but it did get a small handful of spin-offs. And just the one game alone has an astounding legacy. He'd be my bet if we got another Square character.
I think the lack of Persona Q music is strange. Especially considering Persona Q2 was Joker's first appearance on a Nintendo console.

Everyone should listen to Road Less Taken (PQ2's opening theme). It's fantastic.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Waluigi likes to do a lot of things. One of the most recent things is rapping about why he ain't in Smash yet.

But if Michael Jackson was a video game character, he'd have a sick moveset. Just play Moonwalker on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
People definitely undersell Crono. Chrono Trigger may not be part of a major series like DQ or FF, but it did get a small handful of spin-offs. And just the one game alone has an astounding legacy. He'd be my bet if we got another Square character.
I think Sora, Lara Croft & even Geno are likely to get in before Chrono. I think fans Chrono fans over estimate how iconic that series is, simply because it is well liked.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Doesn't Bayo already have dance moves similar enough to that?
Perhaps. She doesn't have any Michael Jackson based moves, like the Moonwalk, the Lean, or that one Spin Kick move that once decapitated Mario on Youtube, but her Mannerisms in some of her attacks might have a Dance like vibe to it. that's perhaps part of the reason Waluigi Mods go over Bayonetta so well

Waluigi might have more Noticeable dance like moves though.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Cloud and Link's pop culture rivalry emerged a lot more organically than the Mario vs. Sonic or Mario vs. Crash rivalry did.

The latter examples did catch on with the general public but were intentionally invented and (in many ways) furthered by marking teams and developers. Link vs. Cloud is really just a thing because Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII had the coincidental fortune of both being major, groundbreaking Japanese games that used a Western fantasy setting (although in FF7's case, there's a lot of Western Sci-fi as well) and featured a young, blonde man as their protagonist that released in the late 90s. Being exclusives on the two best-selling consoles in the Western market also helped.

Neither Square nor Nintendo saw their respective product or character as the answer to the other's, but the overlap in content and the fact that they were leading examples of what direction games were going in on two products that did have a public rivalry led to consumers making an association between the two games and, by extension, their leading characters.

By 2015, when Cloud was finally added to Smash and the two characters could directly compete in a product officially sanctioned by both their parent companies, the idea of Link vs. Cloud had grown from a grassroots playground debate to a genuine social phenomenon universally recognized by those interested in gaming or pop culture as a whole. As such, it's unsurprising that Nomura would make Link vs. Cloud the centrepiece of his art for Cloud's inclusion in Smash for Wii U/3DS.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Oh, absolutely. I'd love Won't Stop, Just Go in Smash. Or E.G.G.M.A.N. Or Keys the Ruin. Or Suitable Opponent. Or Rumbling HWY. Or This Way Out.

...While we're at it, can we get the Sonic Adventure 1 OST in here, too? I want to jam to Crazy Robo.
honestly might as well put the osts for all the sonic games! well, except for chronicles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom