• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Okay yeah we're totally seeing a spirit event of this sometime soon and it's gonna be a giant Bowser and he constantly gets final smashes. Wow what an absolute trailer and I still don't really know what this mode is. If I were to interpret it, the giant Bowser seems to be a thing that happens at a certain point of time and you're trying to get all the cat stars or whatever before the time is up and you fight this... Satan Bowser? And why the hell is Bowser Jr. helping you. Perhaps this isn't the Bowser we all know and love.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Have we ever had TWO deconfirming Spirit Events in a row? I.e. not a generic themed one?

if not make this the first time after the lack of bloodbaths last year and make it Fortnite lmao

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Bowser's Fury is my favorite Mario RPG.
...I'm curious as to how a game begins with cat suits and noises, as well as fairy princesses, and then turns into this.

Like, what was even the thought process here?

Also, the whole expansion seems like a big, Odyssey-esque open area. Nice.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Goku Mario is gonna be our next fighter.
Okay yeah we're totally seeing a spirit event of this sometime soon and it's gonna be a giant Bowser and he constantly gets final smashes. Wow what an absolute trailer and I still don't really know what this mode is. If I were to interpret it, the giant Bowser seems to be a thing that happens at a certain point of time and you're trying to get all the cat stars or whatever before the time is up and you fight this... Satan Bowser? And why the hell is Bowser Jr. helping you. Perhaps this isn't the Bowser we all know and love.
The YouTube description says Bowser has lost all control, so I’m guessing he’s possessed/corrupted by that black tar/spike stuff.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Otoad64

Smash Lord
So did they just put the final boss in the trailer as a selling point or is there more that we don't know?
my guess is that it's open world, and you have a limited time to collect those totally-not-shine-sprites, before the big "god slayer bowser" comes out and you have to defeat it, or something like that, basically you fight it more than once. probably wrong though

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Bowser's Fury is my favorite Mario RPG.
This would be like if Disney's Pete had an World-Ender form and Mickey Mouse had to transform into Super Saiyan Steamboat Mecha Mickey to defeat him.
Okay I want that now.

Firox

Smash Master
...I'm curious as to how a game begins with cat suits and noises, as well as fairy princesses, and then turns into this.

Like, what was even the thought process here?
Hey, nothing says cat bells and fairy princesses quite like Dark Souls Bowser.

AndresSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
PKLS#218
Did Celeste release in Japan? Because I've been thinking we might get an indie character and Celeste feels like a real contender since it was a game of the year nominee.

Although i have no idea what Madeline can do besides wall jumps and air dashes
They would probably have to make some things up for Madeline, but a dash mechanic would create so much options for her and make her movement insane

AndresSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
PKLS#218
I can see 2 scenarios:
  1. The competitive community is mad because Madeline can wavedash.
  2. Celeste fans are disappointed because Madeline can't wavedash.
I can see how Madeline getting a crazy dash mechanic would make the community mad, but people who complain about ultimate's movement might start playing if they have a character with movement like Madeline

Paraster

Smash Lord
Did Celeste release in Japan? Because I've been thinking we might get an indie character and Celeste feels like a real contender since it was a game of the year nominee.

Although i have no idea what Madeline can do besides wall jumps and air dashes
I actually started work on a Challenger Pack concept doc for Madeline not too long ago. It's not complete yet, but I'm particularly proud of the gimmick I got from the air dash.

Alternatively, BrawlFan1 made a video on her.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
A user here made a point about Ultimate‘s roster choices:
So it's been about two years since I last posted here

I've done a lot of thinking and research about Ultimate's character choices. I have however not been able to wrap my head around why Ashley didn't make it in the base game. By all means she had everything going for her, she was heavily marketed by Nintendo of Japan, to the point of transcending her own series' popularity, had very clear demand for her inclusion judging from the fact Sakurai had to literally had to correct that she wasn't playable in Smash 4 when she was revealed as an Assist Trophy, was very relevant at the time planning began, and even had a Mii Costume released at the end of Smash 4's DLC.

By all means, I really do not know what it was that prevented her, she and Takamaru are the only Assists that boggle me as to why they were excluded in the base roster. By all logical sense it made perfect sense but it seems she just missed the cut. And we may never know what it was that prevented her from being added, but I just wanted to reflect, it admittedly was shocking then and it's still perplexing thinking now so thinking back is interesting.
I know Ashley and Takamaru were likely out-prioritized, but I just wanted to give some food for thought.

That said, If I were in charge of roster picks, I’d easily replace :ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha: with Ashley, Takamaru and Mimikyu (the last of which I just plopped I’m there for fun).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Blocked Content: "Rayman and Hollow Knight LEAKED! 100% real images!"

“The Knight” should be written as “THE KNIGHT” all caps. This makes it look like a Mii, but if it was the Mii would have the Smash Bros symbol

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Don't know what to talk about, I got a topic. Anyone think about how a character's inclusion at a specific point of time would make their moveset a whole lot different than if it came out at another time?

For example let's take a character like Banjo who's been requested for a long time. His moveset is already simplistic so if Banjo & Kazooie got into Melee, I woneder how much more simpler his moveset would be just because older characters seem to generally not be focused on being faithful over functional. Ganondorf was a big oof.

And then I thought how being a DLC and being a base game character might totally change the production of a character. If Springman came out in the launch game, his moveset maybe might have been simpler and not rooted trying to recreate the ARMS feel as much with Min Min's special and normal button fuctions. Since Min Min has to push a DLC pack for herself, there might have been more effort to make her feel more unique.

I also thought about characters like Rex who aren't in and in a perfect world would swap between 3 different blades that give him 3 separate movesets like Trainer but if he came as DLC, that might be like working on 3 separate fighters for DLC and he'd probably just use Pyra.

That got me thinking about how simplistic Joker's moveset is too compared to what a lot of people were expecting (swapping between Personas) considering it's a very important mechanic for the wild card Persona user.
Same thing for Paper Mario. If he got in Brawl, he’d have his TTYD/SPM moveset, but now it’s likely he’d have his ToK moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom