• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Doesn't the copyright listing cover up the entire cartridge on the Switch game? That's how you know something's ****ed lmao. I remember there was also a survival horror kaiju game with Godzilla, Gundam, Evangelion, Patlabour and Ultraman which obviously never got a localization
Ah yes

City Shrouded in Shadow

The game that had the Big Three of Japanese kaiju productions and didn't have them meet, much less fight, even ONCE
1610431548457.png

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Ah yes

City Shrouded in Shadow

The game that had the Big Three of Japanese kaiju productions and didn't have them meet, much less fight, even ONCE
View attachment 298980
Ngl, the fact that you got to play as the generic human NPC running around the city destroyed by these ****ing monster is actually really exciting. (And oh yeah, the main series is called Disaster Report)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Leaked image of the final character of the pass' trailer, the character being Harvey Birdman who has a Pheonix Wright alt
IMG_20210112_071034.jpg

Ngl, the fact that you got to play as the generic human NPC running around the city destroyed by these ****ing monster is actually really exciting. (And oh yeah, the main series is called Disaster Report)
I thought City Shrouded in Shadows was a spiritual successor, not a spinoff

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doesn't the copyright listing cover up the entire cartridge on the Switch game? That's how you know something's ****ed lmao. I remember there was also a survival horror kaiju game with Godzilla, Gundam, Evangelion, Patlabour and Ultraman which obviously never got a localization
Oi, don't also forget Gamera!

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Leaked image of the final character of the pass' trailer, the character being Harvey Birdman who has a Pheonix Wright alt
View attachment 298981

I thought City Shrouded in Shadows was a spiritual successor, not a spinoff
Oh ****, I forget about the game being a spiritual successor lol, only this time it's not about natural disasters but someone's fanfiction.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Off, that's rough, I forgot that Tatsu Vs Capcom exist and how hard they have to handle all of the ownership. I suppose I've heard about a game called Super Robot Wars which is a crossover mecha game all around Japanese media, it's successful for sure but that never came to overseas.
Yeah..and it'll never come to the West due to Harmony Gold USA and their stranglehold on the license and pretty much being notoriously difficult to work with regarding the rights of Robotech & Macross Frontier in part due to that..or at least the newer crossover titles that feature them along with the likes of Gundam, Mazinger Z, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Big O, etc
Uh, what?
Super Robot Wars is possibly one of the biggest crossover titles ever, having a massive amount of various Giant Robot series feature in it, along with a few others like Cowboy Bebop.

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I am new to this thread, so here are some random, baseless predictions for the DLC:
  • Challenger Pack 9 will be revealed in March and release in May.
  • Assuming E3 comes back, Challenger Packs 10 and 11 will both be revealed there. If not, CP10 will be revealed sometime in June and release in August, while CP11 will be revealed in October and release in December.
  • As for who they are, I have no clue and think they could be anyone, but I am willing to bet a few things:
    • Challenger Pack 9 or 10 will be the Hunter in order to promote Monster Hunter Rise, and the Hunter and Rathalos Mii Fighter costumes will return here.
    • The Lloyd Mii Fighter costume will return with any DLC fighter, not necessarily a Bandai Namco one. That said, if we were to get another Bandai Namco character, I believe it would be Chosen Undead.
    • The Chun-Li/Lloyd and Doomguy/Rayman/Hayabusa 'leaks' are not real leaks and won't amount to anything.
    • None of the remaining Fighters Pass vol. 2 fighters will be first party, since we already had Min Min.
  • I doubt there will be a Fighters Pass vol. 3, but to be honest I could see it happening.
I might stay in this thread for a while, but chances are I will get bored of speculation and leave.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And I enjoyed Patroklos. Sure, the other ones weren't good, especially the expies of Naruto and Goku, but Patroklos was still hammy enough to enjoy and was a nice accurate depiction of actual historical "knights". And him being gaslighted into killing "for justice" through his anger and hatred is better than your frickin' goody two-shoes who is too nice following the orders of the "laughably obviously evil" lord.
I liked Patroklos' moveset and some of his gameplay quotes are really good.

But he has so much plot armor in the story that it hurts! If he didn't have fun movesets, that might've ruined the character entirely for me (then again, one is inspired by his family and the other by Setsuka, so they'd be dope either way)

I mean, one, Nightmare has always had a conqueror side to him since Soul Calibur 1 where he used his Malfested army(and IIRC, alongside Astaroth, Aeon/Lizardman and maybe Ivy) to conquer Ostrheinsburg and used that as his base of operation until his defeat. And two, he had a different host, one who was alot more scheming in nature, so it's not surprising if his host affected the way he thought. Heck, the times when he was more of a conqueror were the ones where he had a human host whereas the times when he's a much more bloodthirsty monster is when Inferno is in control during III and IV.
...I completely forgot that Ivy used to work for Nightmare :lol:

And the one "Quick Battle" mode that was practically a pseudo-online mode with AI opponents. It was......decent at best, and much better than Tower of Lost Souls from IV, but it was certainly not Weapon Master Mode/Chronicles of the Sword levels of replay-ability.
Not at all. The moment you got all the characters, that mode was useless.

Fighting against Harada was a good chuckle tho.

Nope it did. After Soul Calibur V, the main team that worked on both IV and V was disbanded. The team doing Soulcalibur VI was very different from the ones who did SCIV and V.

But what can you expect when the development team was screwed over by Namco in favor of Street Fighter X Tekken? When Soucalibur V was supposed to release around a later date around March/April with some more content including Bangoo and Cassandra with a ^%@$ing Longsword(seriously, why do they hate this weapon so much? Like this weapon and having a Sword & Shield user with a moveset that doesn't involve crotches and cheeks are on the top of Namco's list for "Things to avoid putting in Soulcalibur"), but Namco chose to bring forward the release date due to another certain game that was coming in March rather than delay the game? And then came the Lost Souls spin-off game that was being headed by a guy with an obsession for Alexandra girls?

Soulcalibur V did have problems, no denying there, but man, the gameplay(the fighting part) was the most fun since SCII and SCIII, but was hurt by it's lack of Single player modes and it sucks that the development team got screwed in favor of the game that would put Capcom in the hot seat due to the insane amount of On-disk DLC. It is easily an example of a game of "Don't rush your frickin' games' development."
Huh... didn't know it actually disbanded.

I just thought it was in limbo due to the suckiness of V's single-player.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
So who's expecting a Mario newcomer revealed tonight, my money is on Cat Peach
If they were to add her, she’d potentially have some really cool momentum based movement tricks if you’re able to retain the momentum from the cat suit’s dive attack like you can in Wii U SM3DW.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm going to partially blame Hero lol. If Joker brought the expectations of third-parties to an all-time high, Hero probably made people think a lot of characters needed alts to make them more interesting. Other than the ARMS fighter being a bunch of Springman alt characters, Terry was also speculated to have a fem-Terry alt... which is just... even worse.
Speaking of Terry, I'm surprised we didn't get the Garou outfit.

I can see why we didn't get it (no hat when the hat is so involved), but I'm still surprised.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I am new to this thread, so here are some random, baseless predictions for the DLC:
  • Challenger Pack 9 will be revealed in March and release in May.
  • Assuming E3 comes back, Challenger Packs 10 and 11 will both be revealed there. If not, CP10 will be revealed sometime in June and release in August, while CP11 will be revealed in October and release in December.
  • As for who they are, I have no clue and think they could be anyone, but I am willing to bet a few things:
    • Challenger Pack 9 or 10 will be the Hunter in order to promote Monster Hunter Rise, and the Hunter and Rathalos Mii Fighter costumes will return here.
    • The Lloyd Mii Fighter costume will return with any DLC fighter, not necessarily a Bandai Namco one. That said, if we were to get another Bandai Namco character, I believe it would be Chosen Undead.
    • The Chun-Li/Lloyd and Doomguy/Rayman/Hayabusa 'leaks' are not real leaks and won't amount to anything.
    • None of the remaining Fighters Pass vol. 2 fighters will be first party, since we already had Min Min.
  • I doubt there will be a Fighters Pass vol. 3, but to be honest I could see it happening.
I might stay in this thread for a while, but chances are I will get bored of speculation and leave.
I think a March reveal and May release is way too long to hear anything about Smash. Not even the wait between Byelth and Min Min was that long ARMS notwithstanding because we at least heard of an ARMS fighter a couple months after Byleth.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Don't know what to talk about, I got a topic. Anyone think about how a character's inclusion at a specific point of time would make their moveset a whole lot different than if it came out at another time?

For example let's take a character like Banjo who's been requested for a long time. His moveset is already simplistic so if Banjo & Kazooie got into Melee, I woneder how much more simpler his moveset would be just because older characters seem to generally not be focused on being faithful over functional. Ganondorf was a big oof.

And then I thought how being a DLC and being a base game character might totally change the production of a character. If Springman came out in the launch game, his moveset maybe might have been simpler and not rooted trying to recreate the ARMS feel as much with Min Min's special and normal button fuctions. Since Min Min has to push a DLC pack for herself, there might have been more effort to make her feel more unique.

I also thought about characters like Rex who aren't in and in a perfect world would swap between 3 different blades that give him 3 separate movesets like Trainer but if he came as DLC, that might be like working on 3 separate fighters for DLC and he'd probably just use Pyra.

That got me thinking about how simplistic Joker's moveset is too compared to what a lot of people were expecting (swapping between Personas) considering it's a very important mechanic for the wild card Persona user.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Does that game have an english option? I will buy a ps4 just for that game if i can play it with english subs. That game sounds awesome.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Does that game have an english option? I will buy a ps4 just for that game if i can play it with english subs. That game sounds awesome.
The aforementioned Kaiju one doesn't have an english option, let alone being released outside of Japan. But the original inspiration which is Disaster Report does have an entire on the current gen console, tho it's not really that exciting from the trailer itself.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The aforementioned Kaiju one doesn't have an english option, let alone being released outside of Japan. But the original inspiration which is Disaster Report does have an entire on the current gen console, tho it's not really that exciting from the trailer itself.
I beat DR4. It was ok. Not as good as DR or Raw Danger. I love that series, so spiritual successor sounds up my ally. Sucks there is no english option. I would have imported. Game looks great though.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That got me thinking about how simplistic Joker's moveset is too compared to what a lot of people were expecting (swapping between Personas) considering it's a very important mechanic for the wild card Persona user.
Honestly, I was never expecting a Persona switching mechanic in the first place and surprised by how many people did. It was just too much of a hassle.

You'd think other Wild Cards sticking to a single one in the Persona 4 Arena games would give them precedent.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Honestly, I was never expecting a Persona switching mechanic in the first place and surprised by how many people did. It was just too much of a hassle.

You'd think other Wild Cards sticking to a single one in the Persona 4 Arena games would give them precedent.
The thing about Persona switching is that there's A LOT of Persona you could equipped, the only thing that separate these Persona are their arcana in which still a lot and there's not a specific one that perfectly goes along with their "things" other than your starting Persona even if you want to make the same thing Pokemon Trainer with only 3 Persona it's still doesn't fit well.

The thing that surprise me the most is that people expecting Arsene to be used as part of Joker moveset without using the Rebellion Gauge just like in P4A.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

It's a first for Smash to have a Persona character and usually Sakurai tries to go mighty faithful with characters. To that I say he basically nailed everything except the rebellion gauge mechanic which I'm fine with. I think sometimes being too faithful (ala Hero and Steve) can sometimes make them a weirder character to play and I enjoy how fluid Joker's gameplay is.

With switching, I'd imagine the most they'd do is change his specials.

The trailer for Bowser's Fury has released.
HOLY MOLY THAT'S ONE SCARY BOWSER!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The trailer for Bowser's Fury has released.
Okay, that's epic as ****.

Can we please get this version of Bowser to replace Giga Bowser in the next Smash games? Pretty please?

Also, Bowser Jr. coop! And I love that he uses both his Koopa Car and the brush.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Do you expect people to recognize them? You said yourself that most people have never heard of them. Post their names.
View attachment 298756
View attachment 298771

Row 1: Goemon Series (Goemon, Ebisumaru, Sasuke, Yae, Baben, Goroku, Koryuta, Suzaku, Maki), Breath of Fire 3 (Ryu)
Row 2: Fur Fighter Series (rufas, Rico, Jullette, Chang, Bong, Tweek, Viggo, Bear), Brave Fencer Musashi (Musashi), Dark Cloud (Toan)
Row 3: Dot Hack Series (Kite, Black Rose, Orca, Balmung, Haseo), Freedom Planet, Grandia (Justin), XenoSaga (KosMos), Valkyrie Profile (Lennth), Sonic (Metal Sonic)
Row 4: Legacy of Kain (Kain, Raziel), Parasite Eve (Aya), Robot Alchemic Drive (Vavel), Medievil (Sir Dan), Odin Sphere (Gwendolyn, Cornelous, Mercedes, Oswald, Velvet)
Row 5: Shadow of the Colossus (Wanderer), Giana (Giana Sisters), Snowboard Kids (Spike), Ghost Trick (Sissel), Mischief Makers (Marina), Bendy and the Ink Machine (Bendy), Mario (Wart), Captain Rainbow (Captain Rainbow), Gravity Rush (Katt), Fable (Jack of Blades)
Stand Alone: Mystery Solvers Education game (The Sluth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom