• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Wooper is a physical god that has blessed us mortals, with so much joy I'm not going to use percentages. We always hear the buzzword 'moveset potential' but Wooper has so much of it they can use Ice Punch despite not having any arms, imagine what else they are capable of? As a higher tier deity, they have the choice to absorb all water attacks, ignore stat boosts or make you cower so much in their godly presencd that you can't even kill yourself to escape. This also means that Wooper is the first known cure to severe depression, they will comfort all their worshipers, praise be to the constantly smiling eldritch god, being easily one of the best gen 2 mons and although they'd still be the 11th pokemon, they bring some diversity as gen 2 only has a rushed clone known as Pichu, the stupid idiot baby. Wooper may very well be the best being in the history of mankind, truly a fantastic potential addition. I give them a 1.0 out of 10
Sounds like they're too powerful to add. :4pacman:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Moveset-wise there's a ton of avenues that Monster Hunter could take to the point where if you really tried you could make multiple hunter characters with all completely different kits. I do like the one idea of being able to switch between greatsword, longsword, and hammer for some specials, with other weapons like chargeblade, switchaxe, and gunlance being used for smashes. I like the wirebug for an up special though, maybe it could be aimed and used like a tether without actually needing a ledge to tether to. I could also see it as a movement option on the ground, slinging the hunter in a direction quickly if aimed horizontally.

Another not as likely thing I'd like to see would be wyvern riding, though if used that would most likely be for a final smash.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Moveset-wise there's a ton of avenues that Monster Hunter could take to the point where if you really tried you could make multiple hunter characters with all completely different kits. I do like the one idea of being able to switch between greatsword, longsword, and hammer for some specials, with other weapons like chargeblade, switchaxe, and gunlance being used for smashes. I like the wirebug for an up special though, maybe it could be aimed and used like a tether without actually needing a ledge to tether to. I could also see it as a movement option on the ground, slinging the hunter in a direction quickly if aimed horizontally.

Another not as likely thing I'd like to see would be wyvern riding, though if used that would most likely be for a final smash.
Keep in mind, so far we've only talking about the weapons here. We haven't even delved into explosives, ammo types and traps.

That's what makes a potential MH moveset so hard to discuss for me - there's so many ways this can go, it's kind of impossible to fit them all into one cohesive playstyle. They could use Hunting Horn for buffs. The ranged weapons would make them zoners. Trap items could make their style focused into stage control. Hell, you could even just use their melee weapons as a sort of "heavyweight swordie" and call it a day if you wanted to.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Monster Hunter gets in, I just hope the Greatsword gets more play than being a clone of Roy's flare blade and just doing a single big hit and nothing else.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If Monster Hunter gets in, I just hope the Greatsword gets more play than being a clone of Roy's flare blade and just doing a single big hit and nothing else.
Personally, it looks to me like it'd be a combination of Dedede's forward smash and the DORIYAH, held together with Flex Tape and steroids.

Unless you mean it's only used for one move. Given how iconic the thing is, I have faith it'll be used for more than just a single special.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I want this over other horror game reps like the protagonists of Resident Evil or Pyramid Head from Silent Hill:
RUN HE IS BEHIND YOU.png

REX LIES IN WAIT...
HE IS HUNTING FOR YOU.
FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING...
REX HAS SEEN YOU!

RUN! HE IS BEHIND YOU!!!

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I want this over other horror game reps like the protagonists of Resident Evil or Pyramid Head from Silent Hill:
View attachment 298871
REX LIES IN WAIT...
HE IS HUNTING FOR YOU.
FOOTSTEPS APPROACHING...
REX HAS SEEN YOU!

RUN! HE IS BEHIND YOU!!!
forget that dinosaur, what we really need is this guy:

hey he's technically a video game character and he hasn't been deconfirmed:4pacman:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It was my assumption that SMT V would likely be the really big third party this year, with a small chance of Nintendo doing one of their own towards the end of the year (maybe an XCX port or something else) not unlike Three Houses and DQ XI coming out the same year in 2019.
Well, the biggest third party game of the year... I don't think so, when Monster Hunter Rise exists.

But between Bravely Default II and SMTV I certainly believe the latter is a more expected game, even if it's because of all the wait since they announced it. Also, I pretty much feel Bravely Default II will probably release on other platforms, or at least PC, at some point, just like happened with Octopath Traveler.

While SMTV, I could see the game staying as a Switch exclusive, seeing Atlus and how they managed their games in the past years.

Well she's top tier as hell in that game, but I wouldn't consider her the face of Third Strike.

Honestly, I'd say it's your profile picture that people think of first when they think "Street Fighter 3 characters" considering Chun-Li is just popular in SF in general rather than 3rd Strike specifically.

Unless you're talking about the 3rd Strike boxart?
View attachment 298836
Chun-Li is cool as **** but I always liked Makoto more. The coolest SF girl if you ask me.

SKX31

Smash Master
I've seen a decent amount of Charge Blade users online, so maybe that could be their F-Smash?

I'd also love it if Hunting Horn was one of their specials. Kinda like Dancing Blade, but with more lag and each input nets you a buff if completed.
Just the name Charge Blade gives me the impression that it would be spammed in Quickplay too.

Because if my time watching Spectate taught me anything, it's that at least 75 % of people will gravitate towards big moves like bees to honey. Especially if it's a heavy character. That alongside projectiles and counters will be used frequently. Because they're either high reward (regardless of risk) and / or people autopilot / panic.

Personally, it looks to me like it'd be a combination of Dedede's forward smash and the DORIYAH, held together with Flex Tape and steroids.

Unless you mean it's only used for one move. Given how iconic the thing is, I have faith it'll be used for more than just a single special.
As long as it doesn't have awkward blindspots that DORIYAH (or Ganondorf in general, oh boy) has, it should be fine. It's also worth noting that Dedede's F-Smash does deal a lot of shield damage - which is fair considering it has tons of start up but deceptively low end lag. Its shockwave hitbox is a bit wonky (it doesn't feel like it has enough knockback to avoid leaving Dedede in a vurnerable position at low %), so that might be worth keeping in mind.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well, the biggest third party game of the year... I don't think so, when Monster Hunter Rise exists.

But between Bravely Default II and SMTV I certainly believe the latter is a more expected game, even if it's because of all the wait since they announced it. Also, I pretty much feel Bravely Default II will probably release on other platforms, or at least PC, at some point, just like happened with Octopath Traveler.

While SMTV, I could see the game staying as a Switch exclusive, seeing Atlus and how they managed their games in the past years.
Not gonna lie, I keep forgetting that Monster Hunter is an RPG, largely because my mental image of the series is that of an action game and because the closest I've gotten to actually playing MH is fighting Rathalos and Tigrex in Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hope so, if they do, they'll might announce a smash ballot 2 for the fighters pass 3.
Uhhhh let’s NOT go there. About the ballot I mean

besides there are four empty slots in WoL after pass 2 ends. If we get a pass 3, it’s likely cuz it’ll have already been planned for in advance so no ballot necessary

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I personally think they rather focus on a New Smash game than Fighter Pass 3

I Imagine the Main reason Fighter Pass 2 exists, if Steve and Sephiroth are any indication, is because they were already in the progress, or had A lot of progress of negotiating for these characters and Fighter Pass 1 sold well, even then it perhaps took until June of 2019 to greenlit it

Fighter Pass 2 has been selling very well as well, but I'm not sure if Nintendo will pull the trigger here. If there are enough characters that have had Negotiations finished maybe, but If it's just one or two they probably would save those characters for the Next Smash

and for 1st party characters, considering the Base Roster Relies on 1st party for Newcomers, I don't think they'd waste it on DLC.

You also have to factor that DLC sells less as time goes on. Fighter Pass 3 would be an extra cost on top of Fighter Pass 1 and 2. not everyone has that type of money.

cothero

Smash Lord
I don't know **** about the Tales series, so here goes a question: who has the most unique/original moveset, Lloyd or Yuri?

ps.: i used to think Yuri would be the most logical addition being the most popular Tales character, but we can't ignore that Lloyd was one of the frontrunners in every fan poll during the smash ballot.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know **** about the Tales series, so here goes a question: who has the most unique/original moveset, Lloyd or Yuri?

ps.: i used to think Yuri would be the most logical addition being the most popular Tales character, but we can't ignore that Lloyd was one of the frontrunners in every fan poll during the smash ballot.
I'd say Lloyd. Yuri's shtick is martial arts and acrobatics, which has already been covered in various ways. The only thing that hasn't been retread is extensively mixing brawling and swordplay, and even then about 80% of every swordfighter has at least one brawling move (Not counting grabs). Apparently he throws his sword at points, but I haven't seen that yet. Lloyd has two swords, which helps him stand out against the crowd. The only other character with dual-wielding is the Pits, who have a lot more spinning than Lloyd seems to have. Plus, half the time those swords are put together as double-sided sword, so overall Lloyd retreads less ground.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

I'll just add my own two cents here, I've been feeling lately like we get Yuri or there is no fighter. This isn't a personal thing against Lloyd but I've been thinking about the spacing of Namco costumes and it keeps lingering in my mind that if Lloyd was a fighter, why would Gil and/or Heihachi not come with him? It makes sense that the returning Sonic costumes came with Joker and that Chocobo and Geno costumes came with Sephiroth, both cases the costumes are related to the company the fighter is from.

Then I thought perhaps Lloyd is the Namco costume that would come with the Namco character and to be more specific, Lloyd is the Tales costume to come with the Namco character. I mean there's precedent for it too. Chocobo is a Final Fantasy mob and its costume came with a Final Fantasy character. So my thought process is that Yuri comes, he comes with maybe a few Tales costumes and Lloyd is part of them + a rando like idk a Hollow Knight Mii.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

I'm actually gonna say Yuri here as he tends to get some really creative artes. He's pretty much a brawler who doesn't tend to use his sword properly, opting to kick it around in a few moves while punching the enemy. While I see a lot of people point out that Lloyd has two swords making him automatically unique, he's actually based on the first protagonist in the series moveset-wise, Cless, who only wields one sword. So he really only stands out visually in that regard.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
As a Tales of fan, I hate to say it but I don't think either are going be as flashy as other swordies like Hero who has his zany spells or Sephiroth who has a plethora of cool spacing options and magic. Like Terry, they're going to be a lot more technically involved more likely being heavily conbo focused and if Overlimit is a thing and my fan moveset is an accurate prediction, they're gonna focus on chaining together combos with relatively simple moves to baaically make their moves so faster. I should post it one day, ha!

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
As a Tales of fan, I hate to say it but I don't think either are going be as flashy as orher swordies like Hero who has his zany spells or Sephiroth who has a plethora of cool spacing options and magic. Like Terry, they're going to be a lot more technically involved more likely beung heavily conbo focused and if Overlimit is a thing and my fan moveset is an accurate prediction, they're gonna focus on chaining together combos with relatively simple moves to baaically make their moves so faster. I should post it one day, ha!
The flashiness will come from the animations rather than the shenanigans.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Both would be decently unique.
-Lloyd would be our first Dual Sword wielder, since Pit and Dark Pit's blades combine into a bow, whereas Lloyd uses two individual swords.
-Yuri uses only one sword, but his playstyle is a mix between swordplay, punches and kicks in a brawler athletic-like style. He also possesses a projectile attack as well as a Quake-like AoE attack. But that said, he can also use an axe and keep the same attacks, so one of his costumes having an axe is a possibility.

That said, their games revolve around doing combos, so both would undeniably be combo-based fighters. Imagine Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom's Dancing Blade, except revolved around their Special attacks. Like imagine going from one of their Dancing Blade attacks into ending with an automatic Neutral-special or Up-Special rather than one of the ending attacks for Dancing Blade. That's basically how Tales gameplay is like, connecting their Special moves together for powerful combos.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I do not want a bunch of friggin Goku votes again
I'm all for Goku votes so long as they actually put him in the game. If they do another fighters' pass or another smash game, then a non-video game character should be put at the front so we know they're open for speculation though.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I don’t know how others feel about this, but I really like the idea of Yuri utilizing Repede. I know Yuri has plenty of potential as a unique character without incorporating gimics, but I still like this idea. I picture something like Ken & Koromaru from P4AU.
How would you guys feel about another fighter ballot? Same thing as 4s, a few popular choices become DLC, the rest are saved for next game.
I’d like that, personally. The more that Nintendo knows about the fans desires, the better. A ballot is kind of the best way to measure that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
How would you guys feel about another fighter ballot? Same thing as 4s, a few popular choices become DLC, the rest are saved for next game.
It's probably the only time Nintendo actively asked fans for feedback, and we got Ultimate out of it.

And while I'd like to vote Nightmare or a Mortal Kombat character, I think the best idea would be to vote for a better online.

Why wish for a character when you could make the 80+ we have actually playable online? Sounds like a massive win-win for everyone :4pacman:

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
A lot of the problems from Smash 4's ballot was that if was believed we were only getting one ballot character, if that's cleared up than it would probably go better.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It's probably the only time Nintendo actively asked fans for feedback, and we got Ultimate out of it.

And while I'd like to vote Nightmare or a Mortal Kombat character, I think the best idea would be to vote for a better online.

Why wish for a character when you could make the 80+ we have actually playable online? Sounds like a massive win-win for everyone :4pacman:
Broke: voting for your favorite character
Woke: voting for better online
A S C E N D E D: voting for more music from your favorite series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom