• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’d like that, personally. The more that Nintendo knows about the fans desires, the better. A ballot is kind of the best way to measure that.
If the next game had a longer hype cycle, it might be interesting to see a ballot then that goes right up until DLC gets locked in. Of course, you would have to preface with the fact that this would only factor into DLC, not the base roster.

Wouldn't doing the broke option also lead to ascended tho?
B R O C E N D E D

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Huh, interesting. What about the actual sub-area? Is it based on anywhere in particular or is it just a generic wooded area?
Probably the latter. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem take from any particular one more then the other so it's probably just a generic representation of a recurring area from the series.

How would you guys feel about another fighter ballot? Same thing as 4s, a few popular choices become DLC, the rest are saved for next game.
It could be interesting to see which characters would stand out in terms of popularity, but I would be worried about the potential tribalism that could come from it. The late period of the Smash 4 DLC could get pretty nasty due to that.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I do not want a bunch of friggin Goku votes again
No... just nope.

Way too many stupid votes on Goku, Shrek, Assist Trophy characters and more.
Real Talk though: Why are "stupid votes" a bad thing? If the devs find them stupid or impossible to add then they'll just ignore the votes. I don't really see the problem.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't get the frequent antipathy towards the ballot. Most of the ballot era was positive and hopeful, and the derailment at the end was due to Nintendo's poor communication about the true intentions of the ballot and dishonesty about the inclusion, not the ballot itself.

The ballot lead us to getting :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie: and maybe :ultchrom::ultdarksamus:. We don't really need another, we still have enough popular candidates from the first, many of whom landed supporting roles, but getting another would hardly be a bad thing.

And who cares if people waste their votes on Goku, Shrek and Spongebob? It's not like we'd get those characters.

Though there are a lot of innately popular deconfirmed characters right now, who will suffer on a ballot from their current circumstances when they otherwise would place better, which is perhaps reason to not have one currently. They'd work better earlier in the cycle.

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
I don't get the frequent antipathy towards the ballot. Most of the ballot era was positive and hopeful, and the derailment at the end was due to Nintendo's poor communication about the true intentions of the ballot and dishonesty about the inclusion, not the ballot itself.

The ballot lead us to getting :ultridley::ultkrool::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie: and maybe :ultchrom::ultdarksamus:. We don't really need another, we still have enough popular candidates from the first, many of whom landed supporting roles, but getting another would hardly be a bad thing.

And who cares if people waste their votes on Goku, Shrek and Spongebob? It's not like we'd get those characters.

Though there are a lot of innately popular deconfirmed characters right now, who will suffer on a ballot from their current circumstances when they otherwise would place better, which is perhaps reason to not have one currently. They'd work better earlier in the cycle.
I'm also almost sure the ballot is why we got :ultsnake: :ultyounglink: :ultpichu: :ultwolf: :ulticeclimbers: :ultpokemontrainer: back, since I assume a lot of the votes went towards Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers. Oh, not to mention :ultbayonetta: . I think others like Inkling and Isabelle may have done well too but they were getting in either way.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Well, Goku technically got a supporting role too.

1139. Goku & Chao - Fair Spirit Battle - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -  YouTube

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
The Ballot results were never actually released right? I really hope they don't make that mistake again if they do it again the second time around.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
The Ballot results were never actually released right? I really hope they don't make that mistake again if they do it again the second time around.
The reason was probably because Bayonetta didn't actually win and they didn't want that to be explicitly known

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As a Tales of fan, I hate to say it but I don't think either are going be as flashy as orher swordies like Hero who has his zany spells or Sephiroth who has a plethora of cool spacing options and magic. Like Terry, they're going to be a lot more technically involved more likely beung heavily conbo focused and if Overlimit is a thing and my fan moveset is an accurate prediction, they're gonna focus on chaining together combos with relatively simple moves to baaically make their moves so faster. I should post it one day, ha!
As a former Terry main, I can't say I'd be unhappy with that

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm also almost sure the ballot is why we got :ultsnake: :ultyounglink: :ultpichu: :ultwolf: :ulticeclimbers: :ultpokemontrainer: back, since I assume a lot of the votes went towards Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers. Oh, not to mention :ultbayonetta: . I think others like Inkling and Isabelle may have done well too but they were getting in either way.
The veterans, yes, good point.

Bayonetta was already licensed before the ballot, as she was in the data two weeks after it kicked off. Nintendo just anticipated she'd place well on the ballot so preemptively added her. Which explains the very awkward explanation of her placement, as it seems like they slightly overestimated how well she'd do. So she did alright, but she was going to be added regardless of how she did. She's not really a genuine ballot inclusion.

I’m convinced characters like Krystal, Isaac, Bomberman, Shadow, Lyn, and more all ranked pretty high in the ballot so yeah even without the ones I missed that’s a solid lineup for next game.
I imagine that's why the new ones were added, along with characters like Knuckles, Zero and Alucard.

Ivander

Smash Legend
How would you guys feel about another fighter ballot? Same thing as 4s, a few popular choices become DLC, the rest are saved for next game.
If another one is done, the best timing would be anytime when the Smash team is not planning. Like after Ultimate's DLC run is over or before the planning stages of the next Smash Bros' DLC. I just think that if they do another Ballot, it needs a better timing and some better communication so that it doesn't lead into another Corrin/Bayonetta scenario.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'm still astounded the only two characters I voted for in the ballot got in, Bayonetta and Roy. I really lucked out with Smash 4 DLC.

I'm not sure they'll do it again.... They're probably dreading Waluigi being Top 5 lol.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, Goku technically got a supporting role too.

1139. Goku & Chao - Fair Spirit Battle - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate -  YouTube

Good ol Goku joku. Never gets old. :p

I'm still astounded the only two characters I voted for in the ballot got in, Bayonetta and Roy. I really lucked out with Smash 4 DLC.

I'm not sure they'll do it again.... They're probably dreading Waluigi being Top 5 lol.
Well unfortunately, even though they should be, it's not like they're obligated to add Waluigi.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Bayonetta was already licensed before the ballot, as she was in the data two weeks after it kicked off. Nintendo just anticipated she'd place well on the ballot so preemptively added her. Which explains the very awkward explanation of her placement, as it seems like they slightly overestimated how well she'd do. So she did alright, but she was going to be added regardless of how she did. She's not really a genuine ballot inclusion.
Dang, is that a known fact? Its really ****ty of them not to use decide what character they were going to use before the ballot even started

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Dang, is that a known fact? Its really ****ty of them not to use decide what character they were going to use before the ballot even started
The only thing confirmed is that she was in the data ~two weeks after the ballot began, so the rest can be pretty reasonably extrapolated.

It wasn't unearthed until Ultimate had already been revealed. Had it been known around the actual Corrin/Bayo reveal, the furor would've been unprecedented, as people were already angry with the results, and accusing the ballot of being fixed. Which surprisingly, they were right about.

Well, they used the ballot more for Ultimate’s base rather than the Smash 4 DLC anyway.
True, but that's not how they painted the picture back then.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Ballot also came before Cloud got in, who's inclusion in Smash 4 paved the way for more speculation around "Non-Nintendo oriented" characters. Joker also shattered it even further as well

I also think there be much more votes Since Ultimate has been such a hit with audiences, shattering Sales records and stuff like that

So I think Another Ballot after Ultimate, after the characters we actually got in Smash 4 and Ultimate, will probably be much more important than the first ballot. The votes would more cover the General Gaming space than just the Nintendo Gaming space, There be more votes in General (the first Ballot had 1.8 Million votes), and I also think Veterans wouldn't be siphoning votes

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Real Talk though: Why are "stupid votes" a bad thing? If the devs find them stupid or impossible to add then they'll just ignore the votes. I don't really see the problem.
Real talk: they're only "stupid votes" in that they're not votes for who those posters want to see

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They did a poor job explaining the ballot, yep. While it mentioned future games to some degree, it wasn't clear it was more of a suggestion box. It even says "we may make them DLC", and the results for Bayonetta were actually spoken of, which gave the impression she got in due to that. When it was apparently more of a coincidence instead.

I am glad the data we have was released later, yeah. That would've made things much much worse, since at least it her being a high placer when she's actually a notable yet niche character isn't super odd. Since despite not being in related to the ballot doesn't negate she got good results anyway. It just avoided a bigger meltdown, which there was already annoyances over her "winning". The good thing about Ultimate is that it made it far more clear about the suggestion box factor too. Since multiple characters got in due to the ballot. There's also a good chance series got more content due to it too, like Golden Sun, but that's just a guess at this point, with nothing to really back it up.

I wouldn't mind another ballot. Just be a tad more clear than last time.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
On the topic of a Tales character, from what I can tell the most unique characters would actually be Velvet or Ludger, from what I can tell. The former is mainly kick-based, with one arm having a blade and the other being a big demon arm. The latter alternated between dual swords, dual guns, and a hammer.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Well, they used the ballot more for Ultimate’s base rather than the Smash 4 DLC anyway.
Has the smash 4 ballot being used for Ultimate base game been confirmed anywhere? Or are we just assuming that because the characters that got in are the characters we think would have done well in the ballot?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Has the smash 4 ballot being used for Ultimate base game been confirmed anywhere? Or are we just assuming that because the characters that got in are the characters we think would have done well in the ballot?
pretty much the latter, because nobody was talking about bayonetta and ultimate happens to add a bunch of big requests it's pretty obvious what happened

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Pretty sure Sakurai mentioned Castlevania characters got in because of the ballot. That and other stuff like K Rool and Chrom getting a mii costume in Smash 4 because of popularity then making it in Ultimate.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Sakurai did mention the ballot back when he discussed :ultkrool: in a August 2018 Famitsu column.

Source

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I think it'd be interesting if only for the fan polls that would come out of it. It's been a while since we've gotten a wide indication of characters' popularity in the core fanbase (I do not count heavily biased fan polls such as those by PapaGenos), so I'd like to see how things have changed over the last couple of years compared to the last Ballot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Can't say I want another ballot as the first one was what gave a lot of fan-favorite support groups the courage the dunk on any character who wasn't popular to talk about in the Smash fanbase.

Steve and Sephiroth's reactions were great, I don't want to go back to "we aren't talking about this character non-stop since Melee so they are an objectively bad pick" days.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Can't say I want another ballot as the first one was what gave a lot of fan-favorite support groups the courage the dunk on any character who wasn't popular to talk about in the Smash fanbase.

Steve and Sephiroth's reactions were great, I don't want to go back to "we aren't talking about this character non-stop since Melee so they are an objectively bad pick" days.
What do you mean?

AndresSSB

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
PKLS#218
I think Madeline from Celeste would be a cool pick, maybe just playing Celeste as of late made me think that she would be a cool mechanic based character, and her dash mechanic would make for a cool move set.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I think Madeline from Celeste would be a cool pick, maybe just playing Celeste as of late made me think that she would be a cool mechanic based character, and her dash mechanic would make for a cool move set.
Did Celeste release in Japan? Because I've been thinking we might get an indie character and Celeste feels like a real contender since it was a game of the year nominee.

Although i have no idea what Madeline can do besides wall jumps and air dashes

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom