• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Merry Christmas, everyone!

I see there's been some Bandai Namco discussion going on. My top want for Namco will always be Tales, regardless of which character would represent the series. That said, I've spent a large portion of today playing Taiko no Tatsujin after being gifted a drum controller, and hoo boy that game's a blast. I gotta say, it's weird seeing Zenzenzense from Your Name, Sugar Song to Bitter Step, Moana music, a Kirby medley, and the first Tales of the Abyss battle theme in the same track listing. Weird, but a very fun and surreal kind of weird.

So tbh Don-chan would be pretty hype

7NATOR

Smash Master
This is Xenoblade erasure.
I didn't forget about Xenoblade, I just get kind of confused on whether Xenoblade is considered an ARPG?

I guess it is in Real time and such, So I guess it is, but I was kinda confused because I don't really see people consider Xenoblade an ARPG in the same vain Tales of, Nier Automata, and Kingdom Hearts is

It could go either way, but I'd imagine you'd de-digivolve whenever you got K.O.ed due to the increase in power from the Greymon and possibly Metal Greymon forms. Whether it'd be completely or just one stage.

As for Agumon as DLC, I think his viability hinges on how close Agumon's moveset could translate to Greymon. If Greymon has to have too many edits, then we'd be dealing with more than one character, which would disqualify him as a DLC candidate. Otherwise I'd say he's a decently solid option.

Fun Fact: Agumon's Final Smash would likely involve War Greymon, as it is his strongest form (without fusion). War Greymon has an attack called Gia Force, which looks like this in the anime:
This means it is entirely possible that Agumon's Final Smash would basically be a Spirit Bomb.
Greymon, and the other Evolutions have different Hitboxes, Hurtboxes, and different moves yes, so I do imagine it would be like making multiple Characters, and I Don't know if they do that

If Agumon did get in and he did have this move as Final Smash, it would just be the next sign that Dragon Ball can one day be Included in Smash

Between Hero, Goku and Vegeta's Voice Actors (well Vegeta's JP Voice actor anyway) being involved with Smash, all the DBZ References, and now this, Part of me thinks Sakurai actually would like to put Dragon Ball in Smash, but all the rights issues with including the characters is a Nightmare.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
After how badly Marvel Infinite went, I legit view the Hunter as impossible for Ultimate.
None of MvCI's problems were with it's MH rep.

The one company I'm most confident in for this pass right now apart from Koei Tecmo is Bandai Namco considering the strong candidates like Lloyd Irving, KOS-MOS, and Nightmare from Soul Calibur. All 3 come from IPs that have significant history to the company, and in KOS-MOS case, significant history and ties to Xenoblade and Monolith Soft.
Hot take: With how badly BN has ruined DBFZ with their DLC picks, they don't deserve to get more Smash representation.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I doubt the average consumer, Nintendo, or Capcom would attribute the failure of MvCI to... a DLC character. One that was received well by fans.

And, going by that logic, I would assume Monster Hunter World, being "the highest selling game Capcom has ever made" would more than tip the scales greatly in the Monster Hunter's favor.
I'm talking from the Devs perspective. Because every party involved with Fighters have to agree with their inclusion before work begins. I legit believe the Monster Hunter Devs really don't want a Hunter in Smash. Especially after Marvel vs Capcom Infinite going as badly as it did.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Also, Since Nintendo pays Namco to Make Smash, Wouldn't Namco be paid to make one of their own Characters if a Namco character was chosen?

Which would mean Namco gets Payed, and benefits from one of their franchises getting more exposure?
They would definitely benefit from the exposure and pay, but I’m sure Nintendo is getting a big cut on all characters.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
When it comes to Koei Tecmo characters, Ryu Hayabusa comes to almost everyone's minds.
HOWEVER...
There's one KT character you've been overlooking greatly...

View attachment 297204

[/URL]
Can't believe you mentioned Lana but forgot to mentioned the OG Warriors character that started them all..
pnghut_dynasty-warriors-9-orochi-warriors-godseekers-koei-tecmo-games-zhao-yun.png

Inserts support thread

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
...you do realize that FighterZ and Smash don't have the same people making those calls right?
I honestly doubt the same guys making the calls with FighterZ are also making the calls with Smash.
Besides, it might even be ArcSystem Works making the decisions.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Don't mind me, I am just putting the ideal Capcom rep in the thread, as well as the second best newcomer in MVC3 after Amaterasu.

I know a lot of people want Phoenix, Dante, or Chun Li now. But Haggar brings something none of those do. Democracy. What elected office has Dante ever held? Haggar is a mayor. In order to be a mayor, people needed to vote for you. That means Haggar is the people's champ. B-but Phoenix is a defender of the innocent! So is Haggar. Except instead of using "THE LAW" Haggar is the law. He will defend the people with his beef and his own bare hands. Look at this guy. S Tier pick.

In all seriousness though, I would like a beat em up rep and Haggar fits that swimmingly.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The one company I'm most confident in for this pass right now apart from Koei Tecmo is Bandai Namco considering the strong candidates like Lloyd Irving, KOS-MOS, and Nightmare from Soul Calibur. All 3 come from IPs that have significant history to the company, and in KOS-MOS case, significant history and ties to Xenoblade and Monolith Soft.
What bout Chosen Undead from Dark Souls?

MattX20

Smash Hero
What bout Chosen Undead from Dark Souls?
Dark Souls is popular, but I'm focusing on the series that have been around longer for Bandai Namco as they have more legacy to them. Most Smash DLC when it comes to 3rd party series tend to lean more towards legacies than recency/contemporary picks.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dark Souls is popular, but I'm focusing on the series that have been around longer for Bandai Namco as they have more legacy to them. Most Smash DLC when it comes to 3rd party series tend to lean more towards legacies than recency/contemporary picks.
It's not exclusive to them though, so I wouldn't rule out Dark Souls entirely.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Are you implying Dark Souls has no legacy?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Don't see Dark Souls because I think it would be hard to find a way to Implement the Spirit of Dark souls (the Honest, Brutal Difficulty of the Franchise, along with how other quirks of the series works), and while I think it could be done, There are other Potential options on the table that I think are easier to Implement, with Equal to better merit

With that being said, Dark Souls has a Great Legacy that you can't underestimate

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I know a lot of people want Phoenix, Dante, or Chun Li now. But Haggar brings something none of those do. Democracy. What elected office has Dante ever held? Haggar is a mayor. In order to be a mayor, people needed to vote for you. That means Haggar is the people's champ. B-but Phoenix is a defender of the innocent! So is Haggar. Except instead of using "THE LAW" Haggar is the law. He will defend the people with his beef and his own bare hands. Look at this guy. S Tier pick.
There's only enough room in this town for one mayor.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Don't mind me, I am just putting the ideal Capcom rep in the thread, as well as the second best newcomer in MVC3 after Amaterasu.

In all seriousness though, I would like a beat em up rep and Haggar fits that swimmingly.
I approve of this simply because it would add to our ever expanding list of Characters in Smash who are canonically parents.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Did someone just say KOS-MOS is a strong contender?

Do people forget that the people who own her straight up said that a HD collection of Xenosaga would not be profitable enough?

Anyway, my most wanted Bamco characters go something like this:

1. Agumon
2. Nightmare
3. Klonoa
4. Don Chan

After that, I guess either a Tales of character or Chosen Undead. I'm not a big fan of those series but I would be chill with those choices.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Making a moveset is easy, but by its very concept, Smash is a very different game than Dark Souls, so it's a bit harder to really represent it.

Moves have to be laggy to reference the combat, but since fighters in Smash are much faster than a Dark Souls boss, it becomes a big disadvantage for a Dark Souls character to have atrocious lag, meaning they have to tone it down and at this point, it might start to no longer feel like Dark Souls.

With that said, I'm not Sakurai, I'm not a Smash dev and I have no formal experience on game design, so my opinion is actually not worth anything lol

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Making a moveset is easy, but by its very concept, Smash is a very different game than Dark Souls, so it's a bit harder to really represent it.

Moves have to be laggy to reference the combat, but since fighters in Smash are much faster than a Dark Souls boss, it becomes a big disadvantage for a Dark Souls character to have atrocious lag, meaning they have to tone it down and at this point, it might start to no longer feel like Dark Souls.

With that said, I'm not Sakurai, I'm not a Smash dev and I have no formal experience on game design, so my opinion is actually not worth anything lol
If brutal difficulty is what Dark Souls is all about, then getting your ass handed to you by everyone else in Smash would be the authentic experience. :yeahboi:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I'm not sure why people think adding a Dark Souls character would be difficult because they're slow. I mean...You guys do know characters like Ganondorf, Ike, and Byleth exist right?
Like I said, I have no game design experience, so my opinion on this is worthless lmao

I think it's possible, I just personally can't really wrap my head around how specifically when it comes to overall frame data and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom