• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I wasn't talking just about Playable spots, but also Spirits or Mii Costume. Even if Phoenix isn't playable, I still think he would end up getting something in the end, whether it be Spirits or Mii Costume
Yeah, I was also talking in general. I'm not saying Ace Attorney wouldn't deserve content or anything, I was just responding to how you said it was weird it didn't have content, and how it's far from the first series that would come to mind when I consider which ones are glaringly missing content in Smash.

It makes enough sense to me why it would be absent since most third parties only have a handful of their series present, and AA is far from Capcom's biggest priority compared to the others. It could still happen and I'd like it if it did (although I'm not counting on it).

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
The one company I'm most confident in for this pass right now apart from Koei Tecmo is Bandai Namco considering the strong candidates like Lloyd Irving, KOS-MOS, and Nightmare from Soul Calibur. All 3 come from IPs that have significant history to the company, and in KOS-MOS case, significant history and ties to Xenoblade and Monolith Soft.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given we haven't gotten any Namco reps not even base game. I honestly would keep expectations low.

Especially being it has been since Sm4sh.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, Since Nintendo pays Namco to Make Smash, Wouldn't Namco be paid to make one of their own Characters if a Namco character was chosen?

Which would mean Namco gets Payed, and benefits from one of their franchises getting more exposure?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Namco discussion
Guess it's about that time of the week, huh?

Being serious, you think we'd have gotten something besides Pac-Man from Namco by now. Forget "we don't want to be biased because they're helping develop the game" because that's kinda moot when you got Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix chilling at the cool kids table with three characters each; even Microsoft has two characters while Namco sits in the corner with their lonely Pac-Man.

And it's not like they have bad series either. Tales of, Tekken, Dark Souls, Taiko no Tatsujin, Xenosaga, Idolmaster (big in Japan), Dig-Dug for ****'s sake. All of these series could be great picks for Smash, and yet it's been 6 years since Namco last got a character.

You'd like Lloyd is an obvious choice given his costume's absence, but I wouldn't given that a bunch of people thought that about Geno only for him to get publicly executed first thing during the Sephiroth presentation. And then there's the fact that two out of the three major Namco costumes have already been released as part of other Fighter Packs this pass, which combined with the former points make me question if we'll be seeing a Namco character at all.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Guess it's about that time of the week, huh?

Being serious, you think we'd have gotten something besides Pac-Man from Namco by now. Forget "we don't want to be biased because they're helping develop the game" because that's kinda moot when you got Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix chilling at the cool kids table with three characters each; even Microsoft has two characters while Namco sits in the corner with their lonely Pac-Man.

And it's not like they have bad series either. Tales of, Tekken, Dark Souls, Taiko no Tatsujin, Xenosaga, Idolmaster (big in Japan), Dig-Dug for ****'s sake. All of these series could be great picks for Smash, and yet it's been 6 years since Namco last got a character.

You'd like Lloyd is an obvious choice given his costume's absence, but I wouldn't given that a bunch of people thought that about Geno only for him to get publicly executed first thing during the Sephiroth presentation. And then there's the fact that two out of the three major Namco costumes have already been released as part of other Fighter Packs this pass, which combined with the former points make me question if we'll be seeing a Namco character at all.
You're forgetting that Heihachi and Gil were already part of the Bandai Namco roulette wheel Pacman got in the base game of Ultimate. Those two were specifically added for Ultimate. Lloyd however was not, so he's got a better shot. That, and Tales is one of the biggest franchises Bandai Namco has, it's the third biggest JRPG series of all time in Japan

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we want to Theorycraft, 2B could give Answers to who the character might be

Remember that Sakurai met with Yoko Toro (Nier Creator) back in December of 2019, and I know Yoko likes to have 2B Crossover with everything he can.

So I think there is a likelihood of 2B Mii Costume being a thing, and I found it strange how 2B was not with Sephiroth, considering she's Square-Enix Character

So I'm thinking she if she is a Costume, that she'll come with a Character that she would have relation too. The 2 Aspects I could see is

-ARPG Character
-KOS-MOS

Nier Automata is an ARPG, and ARPG are actually a Sub-Genre that has not be represented in Smash, Unless you want to retroactively say FF7 Represents it due to the Remake. With the whole thing with Tales of and Namco, It's possible this might suggest ARPG character. Monster Hunter and Lloyd come from more ARPG Franchises

However, KOS-MOS is a Female, Combat Ready android in the same vain 2B is. 2B being a Square character also has relation, since Xenogears, the Xeno Series that came before Xenosaga, is a Square owned Franchise. It's also possible that 2B could suggest KOS-MOS too

However all of this hinges on 2B being a Mii costume though. While we know Sakurai met with Yoko and we know 2B has been a requested character to appear in Smash, Especially from Japan, we don't actually know if she'll turn out to be a Costume.

And even then, There's probably an Aspect I'm not taking into account, like how She could come with a Charcater that originates from the 2010's, or even more mircarously, 2B Herself is a Playable character despite Sephiroth already being in and Sakurai only meeting Yoko for the first time in december of 2019, when the Pass was already finalized

D

Deleted member

Digivolution is basically the obligatory comeback mechanic every DLC has, when you think about it :4pacman:
I don’t want Agumon, but if that’s how they work it and he can become Greymon (with a Wargreymon Final Smash or something) I’d be ok with it.

With as unique as each fighter has been so far, there’s a very good chance he wouldn’t be like Pokémon Trainer switching in and out; he’d have his own different mechanic.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If we want to Theorycraft, 2B could give Answers to who the character might be

Remember that Sakurai met with Yoko Toro (Nier Creator) back in December of 2019, and I know Yoko likes to have 2B Crossover with everything he can.

So I think there is a likelihood of 2B Mii Costume being a thing, and I found it strange how 2B was not with Sephiroth, considering she's Square-Enix Character

So I'm thinking she if she is a Costume, that she'll come with a Character that she would have relation too. The 2 Aspects I could see is

-ARPG Character
-KOS-MOS

Nier Automata is an ARPG, and ARPG are actually a Sub-Genre that has not be represented in Smash, Unless you want to retroactively say FF7 Represents it due to the Remake. With the whole thing with Tales of and Namco, It's possible this might suggest ARPG character. Monster Hunter and Lloyd come from more ARPG Franchises

However, KOS-MOS is a Female, Combat Ready android in the same vain 2B is. 2B being a Square character also has relation, since Xenogears, the Xeno Series that came before Xenosaga, is a Square owned Franchise. It's also possible that 2B could suggest KOS-MOS too

However all of this hinges on 2B being a Mii costume though. While we know Sakurai met with Yoko and we know 2B has been a requested character to appear in Smash, Especially from Japan, we don't actually know if she'll turn out to be a Costume.

And even then, There's probably an Aspect I'm not taking into account, like how She could come with a Charcater that originates from the 2010's, or even more mircarously, 2B Herself is a Playable character despite Sephiroth already being in and Sakurai only meeting Yoko for the first time in december of 2019, when the Pass was already finalized
2B is not getting a costume unless Square Enix is getting two fighters in this Fighter Pass.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
2B is not getting a costume unless Square Enix is getting two fighters in this Fighter Pass.
Does Square Enix have full ownership of the game or is it like with Doom where Bethesda published and helps with the game, but the IP is fully owned by id Software?

Because if it's like Doom, then technically a 2B outfit would be a PlatinumGames thing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Does Square Enix have full ownership of the game or is it like with Doom where Bethesda published and helps with the game, but the IP is fully owned by id Software?

Because if it's like Doom, then technically a 2B outfit would be a PlatinumGames thing.
Square Enix completely owns the IP. Think of Nier: Automata as the Square Enix equivalent of Sega and Bayonetta.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Digivolution is basically the obligatory comeback mechanic every DLC has, when you think about it :4pacman:
Well I Don't know if Digivolution would be a Comeback mechanic per say

I will say that I think It could end up being a Permenant Transformation thing. We don't have Transformations that are Permenant, and I think Digivolution makes sense being a Transformation you keep forever if you Transform. Of course perhaps you can change back, but yes

With Nier, it seems to operate differently than from Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest

You see 2B in way more Crossovers (outside of Square Enix) than you do with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. So I don't know what this Clause is about Square costumes can only appear with Square Costumes, but I'm not sure if 2B has to follow that, since it seems how Square treats Nier, or what freedom that allow Yoko to treat Nier seems to vary from Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Square Enix completely owns the IP. Think of Nier: Automata as the Square Enix equivalent of Sega and Bayonetta.
Thanks for clarifying before I could accidentally do misinformation. 👍

I will say that I think It could end up being a Permenant Transformation thing. We don't have Transformations that are Permenant, and I think Digivolution makes sense being a Transformation you keep forever if you Transform. Of course perhaps you can change back, but yes
I don't think you caught that this was a joke since not all DLCs have comeback mechanics lmao

Either way, a permanent transformation (that probably won't be kept forever but rather until you get KO'd for balance's sake) is something that wasn't done.

But it's a careful balancing act. They'd have to make the first form objectively inferior to the digivolution while still making it good enough that it's still fun to play, and also avoid making said digivolution too good due to its time limit being "until you lose the stock".

They can totally do it, but it's still trying to balance two characters while intentionally making one worse yet still playable.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Thanks for clarifying before I could accidentally do misinformation. 👍

I don't think you caught that this was a joke since not all DLCs have comeback mechanics lmao

Either way, a permanent transformation (that probably won't be kept forever but rather until you get KO'd for balance's sake) is something that wasn't done.

But it's a careful balancing act. They'd have to make the first form objectively inferior to the digivolution while still making it good enough that it's still fun to play, and also avoid making said digivolution too good due to its time limit being "until you lose the stock".

They can totally do it, but it's still trying to balance two characters while intentionally making one worse yet still playable.
I Kind of figured it was a Joke, But Just to be safe, I answered it seriously since alot of the times there is truth in Jokes

Either way, It would be tough balancing act I agree, and also Animating Pretty Much Two Seperate Characters would be hard for Development puporses. They did animate Arsene though, But with Agumon and whatever Digivolution he has, It be animating different Hitboxes and Hurtboxes at the least, so it would be quite a Task. However Digimon usually uses 3D Models for their games so at least they don't have to Create an entirely New model

On Joker Though, one thing I wonder is why Sakurai decided to Make Arsene a Super Mode, instead of Making Arsene apart of his Regular attacks like Joker is using a Stand, since Isn't that how Persona Combat works most of the time? I Imagine it would have been just as Flashy, More Game Accurate, and probably less Balancing intensive since you don't have to balance Regular Joker and Arsene Joker

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

It could go either way, but I'd imagine you'd de-digivolve whenever you got K.O.ed due to the increase in power from the Greymon and possibly Metal Greymon forms. Whether it'd be completely or just one stage.

As for Agumon as DLC, I think his viability hinges on how close Agumon's moveset could translate to Greymon. If Greymon has to have too many edits, then we'd be dealing with more than one character, which would disqualify him as a DLC candidate. Otherwise I'd say he's a decently solid option.

Fun Fact: Agumon's Final Smash would likely involve War Greymon, as it is his strongest form (without fusion). War Greymon has an attack called Gia Force, which looks like this in the anime:
1608945803516.png
This means it is entirely possible that Agumon's Final Smash would basically be a Spirit Bomb.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
On Joker Though, one thing I wonder is why Sakurai decided to Make Arsene a Super Mode, instead of Making Arsene apart of his Regular attacks like Joker is using a Stand, since Isn't that how Persona Combat works most of the time? I Imagine it would have been just as Flashy, More Game Accurate, and probably less Balancing intensive since you don't have to balance Regular Joker and Arsene Joker
It's a callback to how Persona users have to go through ****ty stuff in order to awaken their Personas.

Joker specifically unlocked Arsene after getting one hell of a beatup, so making it a comeback mechanic is actually perfect for him.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I wanted to share something I got today with you guys. I got a comic vinyl from Shigesato Itoi's company for Mother's 35th Anniversary, could be some of the last official merchandise from the series. I'm really happy to add it to my collection! (I'd upload my own screenshots from my phone but it's not working with the site).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom