• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
853 (1).png

can interview "disconfirmations" stop already?

can people please stop asking devs about Smash for 5 ****ing minutes?

I am tired of these things. They bring nothing good to speculation. They're vague as ****, they're hard to keep track of, and they make discussion on any given character a thousand times more insufferable. It's a rare sight these days to be able to discuss Kiryu without someone piping in and going "uhhhhhhhh actually the Yakuza guy said Kiryu couldn't beat up women so he's deconfirmed guys sorry!" It's awful and everytime someone asks a game dev about their character in Smash, I shrivel up in pain.

They're stinky. I hate them.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Well the alternative is something like this, so when the community flocks to take any other statement as a disconfirmation it makes sense to raise an eyebrow at something as straight edge as "no comment", seeing how most developers jump at the opportunity to at least voice their support of their characters in Smash. Particularly in the case of Travis, where that response was completely out of character for Suda and did end up playing out... just not as a full playable character.
Yea, I may be wrong. It's definately a difficult field to navigate. Perhaps it's just better to voice support for a character, and not say anything about waiting for an invitation. I guess you can't really win either way...

cashregister9

Smash Hero
In Lucas's case, he wouldn't have even been in Smash in the first place if Sakurai had known beforehand that the game wasn't going to be localized, and he was a base game addition which is different.
The issue with that is that Sakurai only added Lucas because he thought Mother 3 would be localized. Then it wasn't localized. It's also almost certainly why he was so low in priority for Smash 4.
Yeah I know that. I just thought the choice of the phrase "Alienate the European Audience" was a bit too grandiose.

I think Euden's biggest hit is the fact that Dragalia hasn't come out in Europe so I agree with that, I disagree with the specific wording.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If we’re talking about mobile games that have little to no content, to satisfy Base Game Theory.

May I present to you: Fire Emblem Heroes. Its one song means it does have a foot in the door, but Heroes has grown tremendously in the last years and it doesn’t have Spirits. Besides that, it’s actually succesful and has a worldwide release.

EDIT: I don’t think its grandiose, I would be personally slighted by Euden’s inclusion and I’m not even French. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I thought we already confirmed that interviews mean practically nothing. You cant take the face value of the word of a person with their paycheck in a vice.

I may be mangling metaphors there...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I thought we already confirmed that interviews mean practically nothing. You cant take the face value of the word of a person with their paycheck in a vice.

I may be mangling metaphors there...
Although there's some things they can't say without potentially violating an NDA and incurring the wrath of Nintendo.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The issue with that is that Sakurai only added Lucas because he thought Mother 3 would be localized. Then it wasn't localized. It's also almost certainly why he was so low in priority for Smash 4.
On one hand, yes, global presence seems to be favored. On the other hand, Dragalia's still going along and would probably be more recognizable than a more niche GBA title-Or a retro game that hadn't gotten a true new installment since the NES, if we're using the main example. I'm kinda hesitant on Euden too, but I feel he's just big enough to not be counted out entirely.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If we’re talking about mobile games that have little to no content, to satisfy Base Game Theory.

May I present to you: Fire Emblem Heroes. Its one song means it does have a foot in the door, but Heroes has grown tremendously in the last years and it doesn’t have Spirits. Besides that, it’s actually succesful and has a worldwide release.

EDIT: I don’t think its grandiose, I would be personally slighted by Euden’s inclusion and I’m not even French. :4pacman:
This is me being pedantic as all hell but technically it has two. The Heroic Origins remix of the Main Theme is based on the Heroes version.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
View attachment 308486
can interview "disconfirmations" stop already?

can people please stop asking devs about Smash for 5 ****ing minutes?

I am tired of these things. They bring nothing good to speculation. They're vague as ****, they're hard to keep track of, and they make discussion on any given character a thousand times more insufferable. It's a rare sight these days to be able to discuss Kiryu without someone piping in and going "uhhhhhhhh actually the Yakuza guy said Kiryu couldn't beat up women so he's deconfirmed guys sorry!" It's awful and everytime someone asks a game dev about their character in Smash, I shrivel up in pain.

They're stinky. I hate them.
they get interviewers lotsa clicks, so they aren't going to stop, unfortunately

Louie G.

Smash Hero
We DID get the Rex Mii as a bonus for buying pass 1 in its entirety. Sure it’s a bonus linked to the pass itself, unobtainable any other way, but IMO it still counts AND was shown in Pythra’s trailer
Not assessing this in reference to Splatoon specifically, but in regards to general Mii Costumes - I actually think Rex's costume is in a more significant than most others by virtue of being not only a FP1 bonus, but an incentive to buy the entire pass early on. There are promotional graphics well into FP1 that still promoted Rex's costume as a selling point.

1616603193306.png

It's been something I've kept in mind regarding my recent speculation toward Tails, another costume released quite early in the DLC cycle but sold separately. Many people accept that as a disconfirmation, but seeing how Rex was explicitly used to sell the entire pass vs a single $1 costume in the first Challenger Pack... I dunno, I've been rethinking a lot of what we've just assumed and expected at this point, which I think is the right way to do it anyway. Nearly every character who was unexpected was simply counted out for some assumption that didn't matter in the longrun.

The other perspective on this is that Pyra / Mythra were already decided back in 2017. Which I don't really buy, at this point. I did and still do believe that some FP2 DLC was planned as far back as that, but since Pyra / Mythra went through various forms before Sakurai landed on the final version, several that incorporated Rex, I can't imagine that he was doing all that during the base game before FP1 was developed at all. So I think it's safe to say Rex's costume didn't impact him very much.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice

If we were to get a fighter that originated from the Fire Emblem app before any of the spin off characters that originated from any of the actual consoles, I wouldn't know how to feel...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It mentions “Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light” as its origin in the sound select so I’m not counting it as a Heroes track.
It lists that because it's the source of the main theme in general. But objectively, it's a remix of the Heroes version (alluded to with Heroic Origins in parentheses, no less) as it straight up includes segments that literally only exist in the Heroes remix.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I mean, Heroes does have two tracks technically, regardless of where one of them originated.

That said...
You thought you were going to get Crash? Monster Hunter? Dante? KOS-MOS? Elma?

BUT IT WAS ME, ANOTHER FIRE EMBLEM AVATAR!
For his Neutral-special, he uses a gun.
To sum up everything, Kiran is becoming a new Customizable Avatar Unit in Fire Emblem Heroes. His main weapon is his Summon Gun, Breidablik and you can place any skill on his A, B, C or Seal skills from any of your Heroes, including the incredibly hard to get and powerful skills. The Middle design is his Default design. The Male Avatar on his left is the 1st Male Option followed by Male Option 2 then Male Option 3. The Female Avatar on the right is Female Option 2, followed by Female Option 3 than Female Option 1.
I don't expect it to happen for DLC. But I would not be surprised if Heroes is considered for a character or Spirits at some point in Smash history.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Ok but what if our next FE (sorta) rep was Itsuki Aoi

only one TMS spirit in base game (Tsubasa), no music, no stage

...like that’ll ever happen.

unless?
I've been thinking about this actually

Itsuki is boring but more TMS content would be lovely (even if it's just music)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Smash DLC Nintendo have played the selections fairly safe in terms of notoriety, with Hero/Banjo effectively counteracting their respective regional fame and Terry being the major old school character (one who’s still getting appearances in the last few years).

In that sense Euden just strikes me as a far bolder choice for a fighter’s pass then they’ve done so far, especially given that no element from DL has never appeared in a game on a Nintendo console. Basically it would be a heck of a time and place to make a showcase for a strictly mobile character.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok but what if our next FE (sorta) rep was Itsuki Aoi

only one TMS spirit in base game (Tsubasa), no music, no stage

...like that’ll ever happen.

unless?
I hated what became of TMS as a Fire Emblem fan after being curious for 2 years. Now, I'm a fan of SMT so I hated TMS more. Giving us a character from the same game as Tiki Is My Waifu and all sorts of crazy fetish stuff that even the Japanese version got censored (As in the Wii U version, not the Switch version which used the censored version as a base) while being outright shocking in how little the companies seemed to care as both Nintendo and Atlus were used to dubbing games only to choose not to dub the weebiest game ever would be so ****ing surreal I can't even think of an appropriate joke to make

Louie G.

Smash Hero
With Smash DLC Nintendo have played the selections fairly safe in terms of notoriety, with Hero/Banjo effectively counteracting their respective regional fame and Terry being the major old school character (one who’s still getting appearances in the last few years).
I've been thinking about this a lot. Especially in regards to FP2 - Steve and Sephiroth are VERY surface level. One could say they were front-loaded to sell the pass to a broad audience, and we could get a more "Terry-esque" character moving ahead, but I think another perspective you could come at this with is speculating which other characters and series could similarly carry mass appeal.

Pretty funny too when you recognize FP2 has kind of worked to both extremes. Huge gangbuster mass appeal characters like Steve and Sephiroth, and then modern first-party Switch characters. I wonder if we'll see the final two play out in a similar fashion.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
does anyone know what japanese speculation scene is saying? kind of curious what they think will be the front runners.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I feel that the next character is very likely to be from a new company, and if Ryu Hayabusa might be out then that's gonna harm Koei Tecmo's chances since he's the icon of the company. At this point in time I'd say keep an eye out on Falcom and ArcSys. There's also Cygames as well, and if we do get a character from it then my money is on Granblue Fantasy.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I dont really care for Ryu Hayabusa. He is a niche character from the 90s to me. People only yell his importance because of their childhood, like Banjo. He seems prime for Mii Costume to me.
The franchise’s height was probably during the mid ‘00s with the Xbox games. The NES games are fondly remembered, but I think the Xbox games are what truly cemented Ninja Gaiden’s legacy.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Given Hayabusa's position, he "feels" like prime mii costume territory to me. But that is subjective. With Akira, Altair, Bomberman, Cuphead, Goemon, Heihachi, Iori, Monster Hunter, X, Zero, Arthur all being large names (region specific included), he fits in with that bunch.
I like these subjective questions.
When I look at the characters from action games with mature content, I see:
• Snake and Simon as a basic Fighters; these are also projectile users that appeared around 1987,
• Bayonetta as a last 3rd-party DLC Fighter,
• Altair, Vault Boy and Travis as Mii Costumes.
Intuitively, where do I think Nintendo would place Hayabusa?

Empty Roster.png

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
The franchise’s height was probably during the mid ‘00s with the Xbox games. The NES games are fondly remembered, but I think the Xbox games are what truly cemented Ninja Gaiden’s legacy.
I would agree that gave him a resurgence. but he is still mainly a western icon. Given heihachi, Bomberman, Monster Huunter and many bigger names are mii costumes. I put Ryu there for now.

• Snake and Simon as a basic Fighters; these are also projectile users that appeared around 1987,

View attachment 308495
from you image, he fits in the mii bucket to me.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel that the next character is very likely to be from a new company, and if Ryu Hayabusa might be out then that's gonna harm Koei Tecmo's chances since he's the icon of the company.
I've given a lot of thought toward those other companies, like ArcSys in particular, but the more I've thought about them the less I've been convinced of any beyond Koei Tecmo. I think SNK is rightfully what got people thinking outside the box, and I'm certainly in favor of giving characters like Sol or Adol the attention and respect they deserve, but I dunno there's a bit of a disconnect for me here for one reason or another.

Give or take Hayabusa, I'm not really even convinced we're in the position to get a new company on board. FP2 so far has consisted of not just companies with playable characters, but companies that already got DLC last time. I always try to acknowledge that these observations and patterns are always susceptible to be broken, but I think it's a really strong possibility that it stays this way all the way up until the end. It's just interesting that it's played out this way thus far, when FP1 had two brand new companies by this point in the pass (and Atlus, depending on how you want to see that). The focus seems to be a bit less on expanding.

On my end I'm expecting a SEGA character, and then it could either be Hayabusa or another Nintendo character we're all sleeping on when assuming that it's gotta be a modern and/or promo character or something. With Master Chief as a variable somewhere in there, I dunno.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I hope one of these some guy just outright confirms a character for Smash with one of these interviews.
“Is Spongebob coming to Smash deceased creator Stephen Hillenburg?”
“Yes.”
Such a realistic scenario that I can practically taste how it’ll feel to see :4pacman:
I love the implication that Stephen Hilenburg digs himself back out of the grave for the sole sake of confirming Spongebob's inclusion and then goes right back. Quality priorities, right there.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I love the implication that Stephen Hilenburg digs himself back out of the grave for the sole sake of confirming Spongebob's inclusion and then goes right back. Quality priorities, right there.
Nickelodeon Executive: Oh, no. I've seen this on the late show. You've come back to haunt me for making Spongebob spinoffs even though you said you didn't want to! You ghoulish fiends will hold me down and take turns nibbling on my innards. Then you'll eat my brain and leave my body for the buzzards!

Stephen Hillenburg: That's disgusting! I just want to confirm Spongebob for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Nah, my personal interpretation is that Hillenburg is whereever the afterlife is (if it exists that is), so he doesn't need to face any accountability from the Smash Speculators.

And if the afterlife is nowhere, well, then he's probably a Nobody, the real world is Kingdom Hearts, and Darkness is everywhere around the Earth. He still doesn't need to worry, since Nobodies reunite with their normal selves after they are destroyed, so by this logic Hillenburg is in fact immortal (?).

:4pacman:

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nickelodeon Executive: Oh, no. I've seen this on the late show. You've come back to haunt me for making Spongebob spinoffs even though you said you didn't want to! You ghoulish fiends hold me down and take turns nibbling on my innards. Then you eat my brain and leave my body for the buzzards!

Stephen Hillenburg: That's disgusting! I just want to confirm Spongebob for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
There really IS a Spongebob meme for everything...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Nah, my personal interpretation is that Hillenburg is whereever the afterlife is (if it exists that is), so he doesn't need to face any accountability from the Smash Speculators.

And if the afterlife is nowhere, well, then he's probably a Nobody, the real world is Kingdom Hearts, and Darkness is everywhere around the Earth. He still doesn't need to worry, since Nobodies reunite with their normal selves after they are destroyed, so by this logic Hillenburg is in fact immortal (?).

:4pacman:

Is... is this where we're going!? Is the plan to make every piece of Spongebob media canon and necessary to understand the plot of future KH games!?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
...how did you guys know I held a seance for Hillenburg last night?! :4pacman:

View attachment 308495
yup, I’m feeling he’s closer to Mii at this point.

also the mii segment is missing Geno... as for who can be fit between Arthur and Mii!Hayabusa... I have no idea honestly lul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom