• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The whole Kirkhope "breath" quote is kind of irritating in retrospect. It really muddied the waters on speculation. Now everyone and their grandma uses that every single time a developer seemingly disconfims a character.

I honestly don't even know how he got away with it. Some sort of loop hole in the NDA? I feel like I don't even understand everything an NDA entails.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The whole Kirkhope "breath" quote is kind of irritating in retrospect. It really muddied the waters on speculation. Now everyone and their grandma uses that every single time a developer seemingly disconfims a character.

I honestly don't even know how he got away with it. Some sort of loop hole in the NDA? I feel like I don't even understand everything an NDA entails.
I think it was merely about the music. Remember, Kirkhope’s a composer

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Has there been any interesting new information outside of Ryu Hayabusa's supposed disconfirmation lately?

If Crash is also unlikely and Spyro's chances still aren't looking very good, then I legitimately wouldn't be surprised if our last two fighters were first party characters.

And as I feel there's a small number of first party characters lacking on the roster, I honestly wouldn't complain if that were the case.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it’s safe to say that if we get an Overwatch Spirit Event before Crash, ergo, that Activision Blizzard’s first piece of involvement is non playable content, then Crash is dead
I mean, Tsubasa had her spirit in the game before Joker was confirmed, and we got Trials of Mana spirits before Sephiroth. To add to that, if this were a deal breaker, we wouldn't be talking about Ryu Hayabusa before the apparent disconfirmation due to the base game Fatal Frame content.

An Overwatch spirit event would have no bearing on Crash. Now a Crash Bandicoot spirit event...that obviously would.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I think it was merely about the music. Remember, Kirkhope’s a composer
I'm not sure what you mean. His comment was in reference to someone that was hoping B&K would be in Ultimate:

Screenshot_20210324-093238_YouTube.jpg

I know he's a composer, but since he turned out to be directly involved in Ultimate you wouldn't think he could say something like this...

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We only have two characters left, so I don't think it's wild to assume the truth is being told and that Ryu Hayabusa is genuinely not happening.

Yeah, there's always the small chance that they're purposely misleading us, put those cases are vastly outnumbered by people who gave us an honest and genuine response. That's why I wouldn't hold my breath, especially when we're this close to the end.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Huh, the thread jumped a little. Wonder why...

Famitsu, Fumihiko Yasuda interview.

Q. So apparently some fans are waiting for Ryu to join a certain melee action game.
A. Us too are wating for an invitation letter (lol).
Ah, so that's why.

Personally, I think this seems like a neutral response until we get a more detailed translation. It could be interpreted as them wishing Hayabusa was in Smash, or waiting for him to be revealed. I'm reserving judgement for now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, I have a question for everybody. Now that Hyabusa is supposedly out of the running, who do you think is the most likely retro rep we could possibly get. I think Bill Rizer is likely the biggest NES rep left but might have issues with his play style due to being purely a gunner.

I think it is likely just my bias showing, but are the Battletoads actually a contender for the most likely NES/retro character now? They have appeared in multiple crossovers and even had a new game last year.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
How many times will it take before you guys calm yourselves down with these interviews? :222: This is like the fifth or maybe even sixth time.

Now that Hyabusa is supposedly out of the running
Stop saying that and spreading misinformation, he isn't.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Now that I've taken a moment to read through the thread...

It feels almost like you guys want him to be deconfirmed. They're just "He hasn't gotten his invitation yet." Maybe it means he's not coming, but it could also mean the trailer just hasn't dropped yet to confirm him, because they obviously can't. Like SpectreJordan SpectreJordan said, he's not getting that envelope until he's revealed.

Chill out, guys. This means nothing.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

It feels almost like you guys want him to be deconfirmed. They're just "He hasn't gotten his invitation yet." Maybe it means he's not coming, but it could also mean the trailer just hasn't dropped yet to confirm him, because they obviously can't. Like SpectreJordan SpectreJordan said, he's not getting that envelope until he's revealed.

If he was in though, I doubt they'd even be allowed to hint at that. Sounded more like Yasuda is waiting for his invitation to get something of his into smash.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Bingo. It could be a disconfirmation, but it’s worded very vaguely. It’s not like the DoomGuy one.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Maybe get him in that one Sega arcade game that nobody talks about. The one with the lever cart thingy.

Or we can try Smash. That works too...
No I definitely think Cortez should take a character slot over someone else's most wanted.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That's a pretty NDA answer if I've ever seen one. Not confirming, not deconfirming either, they're just not telling. And that's that. If you're going to dig deeper, look at the graves the Sora and Travis fans made by hyping up developer comments.

If he was in though, I doubt they'd even be allowed to hint at that. Sounded more like Yasuda is waiting for his invitation to get something of his into smash.
Ah, so you're the lawmaker of what can and can't be said? :nifty:

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I said it in the Ryu Hayabusa thread, but I don't know how much these interviews mean, especially when it seems like very few people within the companies are going to know about whether or not a character makes it into Smash. I don't know who was around in the pre-Brawl days, but back then, there was an interview about Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games where representatives from Nintendo and Sega said that Sonic appearing in Smash Bros. is "not on the cards at the moment" or otherwise implying that he won't make it in. We know how that turned out.

There are cases where comments like that mean that a character won't be included (ex. Kojima saying that he wasn't involved with Smash during the development of Smash 4), but considering that even a "no comment" can throw the speculation community into a tizzy (as seen with Suda 51 for No More Heroes and Donald Mustard for Fortnite), I wouldn't read too deeply into this.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Counterpoint: Pyra had her invite WAY before her trailer began.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
That's a pretty NDA answer if I've ever seen one. Not confirming, not deconfirming either, they're just not telling. And that's that. If you're going to dig deeper, look at the graves the Sora and Travis fans made by hyping up developer comments.

Ah, so you're the lawmaker of what can and can't be said? :nifty:
There's no need for that hostility, we don't know how NDA's work entirely but going off of what we've seen from interviews so far this could be a telling sign.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Another interview “disconfirm” oh boy, my favorite!

/s

Basically, y’all can’t keep looking into interviews for who’s in or out. Every interviewer is going to be intentionally vague in all of them. Y’all just jumping at interviews and other things that could disconfirm characters in the hope that you’ll narrow the next character down but in all honesty, if we’ve learned anything from this speculation cycle, you’re definitely not going to.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There's no need for that hostility, we don't know how NDA's work entirely but going off of what we've seen from interviews so far this could be a telling sign.
It's just sarcasm, I'm not assaulting you.

Also, that's very sus. You're following "we don't know how NDA's work" with "it could be a telling sign", implying that we know how it works? :224: C'mon, at least say you'd rather it be the end for Hayabusa if you want it that way, no harm in opinions.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
It's just sarcasm, I'm not assaulting you.

Also, that's very sus. You're following "we don't know how NDA's work" with "it could be a telling sign", implying that we know how it works? :224: C'mon, at least say you'd rather it be the end for Hayabusa if you want it that way, no harm in opinions.
Nah, you are acting pretty hostile. And it gets so old seeing people assume you don't want a character just for being cautious...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We really need an active civil lawyer in the Smash speculation community let me tell you...
Phoenix_and_Document_2.gif

"Your honour, my client has not said anything that would even imply a non-disclosure agreement has been made and clearly was just asked if they would like their character. Now if you excuse me, I need to check my mail, Maya's been pestering me that this letter I got is a big deal so I'll have to check it out and sue her for opening and reading my mail"

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I dont really care for Ryu Hayabusa. He is a niche character from the 90s to me. People only yell his importance because of their childhood, like Banjo. He seems prime for Mii Costume to me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Nah, you are acting pretty hostile. And it gets so old seeing people assume you don't want a character just for being cautious...
Being cautious would mean it's neither confirming nor deconfirming, not leaning towards a definitive answer. If you're leaning towards a yes or a no, that's pretty bold and reckless.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
At the very least, I'd lower my expectations for Hayabusa. We've had several people say similar things about other popular characters, and obviously some of them were telling the truth since there's only two spots left.

Point is, I don't think we should continue to say, "It doesn't mean anything," and act like absolutely nothing has changed. There's nothing wrong with staying optimistic, but we're setting ourselves up for major disappointment. Disappointment that we honestly should've been prepared for because of these comments.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Which comments is this person referring to...?
The director of Dead or Alive came out a while back and said that he would choose Kasumi as a DoA rep but that’s pretty much it.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Being cautious would mean it's neither confirming nor deconfirming, not leaning towards a definitive answer. If you're leaning towards a yes or a no, that's pretty bold and reckless.
There are different degrees of caution. No I'm not sure either way, but it's POSSIBLE that this could count against him. I see a lot of people echoing the same thing. The person you quoted even said it "could" be a telling sign. Clearly not a definitive answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom