• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I’m not even that big on a new Kirby fighter tbh. I just want a new stage and some assists.
This is something to note. 9 times out of 10 a stage in Smash is usually the first level/area of a game. In most modern Kirby games the first levels are basically Green Greens over and over again.

I suppose the exception would be in Planet Robobot with a mechanized Dreamland.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Famitsu, Fumihiko Yasuda interview.

Q. So apparently some fans are waiting for Ryu to join a certain melee action game.
A. Us too are wating for an invitation letter (lol).
I'm surprised but not really that "Hayabusa for Smash" has gotten to the point where it's big enough for people to notice outside the speculation bubble.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I get what's being said and who is saying it, but some more context and a link to the source would go a long way.
Here is the source, but I don't know people here recognize this site or not.
It's the most known credible and often the fastest gaming magazine leak blog.

I guess credible people will provide a proper and a better translation in time.

Shroob

Sup?
This is something to note. 9 times out of 10 a stage in Smash is usually the first level/area of a game. In most modern Kirby games the first levels are basically Green Greens over and over again.

I mean, we have a lot of stages where that just doesn't apply, way more than a 9/10 margin.

Gerudo Valley, Bridge of Eldin, Great Bay for Zelda

Saffron City, Spear Pillar, Lumiose City for Pokemon

Venom and Lylat for Star Fox

Etc

They definitely tend to pick early on areas sure, since those tend to stick in the player's mind the most, but 9/10 is way overestimating it.

dream1ng

Smash Champion

We got Fountain of Dreams instead of Vegetable Valley. We got Halberd and Great Cave Offensive over Spring Breeze. Kirby already breaks this trend as much as it follows it.

We get the first location of the game so frequently because it's often the most well-known, but it's not like they don't play past the first stage when looking for options.

Thanks~

7NATOR

Smash Master
So the question I got to ask is

How would this affect Speculation for Ryu in Smash?

I think the Answer, if that is the correct translation, Doesn't delve deep into the Status of Ryu. Technically it could be worded that Ryu hasn't received his invitation because he hasn't been announced yet, if he was playable

dream1ng

Smash Champion
So the question I got to ask is

How would this affect Speculation for Ryu in Smash?

I think the Answer, if that is the correct translation, Doesn't delve deep into the Status of Ryu. Technically it could be worded that Ryu hasn't received his invitation because he hasn't been announced yet, if he was playable
Sounds to me like he isn't in if they're still waiting for an invite. It could be misdirection, but that shouldn't be the default belief.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I will say that if this is an actual deconfirm, then My "Vergeben list Deconfirmation theory" even if it doesn't have actual merit, is still coincidentally knocking off characters that were on the list

7NATOR

Smash Master
Why do you still care about that list when Verg said it was about CP5 only?

If you're going to trust Verg, why are you not trusting the part where he said that the list was in regards to CP5?
I mean, I'm not gonna base my whole chips on that list. The characters I'm looking at, I would have looked at without that list

What I will say is that there were some odd questions, and some logical assumptions that popped up, to the point that even if Verge meant this list to be for CP5 only, it's possible it extended to the rest of the pass

-Why were things like Another Microsoft character (which was on the OG List), taken off when there were seemingly no characters that were on the New list that would make Vergeben mistakenly deconfirm Microsoft as a whole

-Same things with things like an Epic Games characters and Assist Trophy characters. There were no characters on the accurate list that applied to these terms that were on the Old list

-the source probably did not know that Byleth was CP5, since otherwise they'd be able to directly deconfirm Companies at large, instead of whole characters

-The KOS-MOS situation likely wouldn't have happened either. the fact that KOS-MOS was deconfirmed separately from the rest of the Namco characters. the fact that the source said they were "Not sure" on her intially, and that Xiamou and Reiji, Characters that had no reason to even be listed on there, probably meant there was some confusion about something Monolith releated (which we ended up getting in FP2)

-It's possible that the Source knew the character was from Nintendo, but not exactly who. Though why not deconfirm entire companies at Large at that point? Why even take off easy suggestions (like another Microsoft character, since we got Banjo in FP1), especially since on the new list, there were no Microsoft characters

-How did the source even deconfirm these characters anyway, if they likely did not know that Byleth was CP5. If they didn't know who CP5 was, in order to deconfirm characters, they needed some type of evidence or something that suggested that these characters were definitely not playable

-We also know that FP2 was being finalized around this time also, which adds into this Theory. Remember that Vergeben, when talking about the Minecraft content, didn't know to what extent that piece of info would go to, or how long it would take

Those are just some of the reasons Why I think there is more plausibility to this theory than meets the eye. It's also very notable that all 4 of the characters we have on FP2 were not on the Accurate list. Plus with some characters on this list, after this was posted, we've been getting evidence toward good amount of these characters not being chosen for the FP2.

Though with that being said, this does really count out alot of characters though, and while there are only 2 characters left, the fact that this lists alot of Plausible speculation characters like Ryu, Crash, and any Bandai Namco character, with even darkhorses like Sol, Falcom characters, and Reimu being listed, I understand why this theory is not really something that gains much traction, along with the fact that Verge and Nekoo (who commented on my theory) only meant for this to be applied to CP5

But I will say that when covering the Minecraft content, or even the Square character (intially), they probably didn't know that we would go into a 2nd fighter Pass when they first covered those rumors

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I'm not gonna base my whole chips on that list. The characters I'm looking at, I would have looked at without that list

What I will say is that there were some odd questions, and some logical assumptions that popped up, to the point that even if Verge meant this list to be for CP5 only, it's possible it extended to the rest of the pass

-Why were things like Another Microsoft character (which was on the OG List), taken off when there were seemingly no characters that were on the New list that would make Vergeben mistakenly deconfirm Microsoft as a whole

-Same things with things like an Epic Games characters and Assist Trophy characters. There were no characters on the accurate list that applied to these terms that were on the Old list

-the source probably did not know that Byleth was CP5, since otherwise they'd be able to directly deconfirm Companies at large, instead of whole characters

-The KOS-MOS situation likely wouldn't have happened either. the fact that KOS-MOS was deconfirmed separately from the rest of the Namco characters. the fact that the source said they were "Not sure" on her intially, and that Xiamou and Reiji, Characters that had no reason to even be listed on there, probably meant there was some confusion about something Monolith releated (which we ended up getting in FP2)

-It's possible that the Source knew the character was from Nintendo, but not exactly who. Though why not deconfirm entire companies at Large at that point? Why even take off easy suggestions (like another Microsoft character, since we got Banjo in FP1), especially since on the new list, there were no Microsoft characters

-How did the source even deconfirm these characters anyway, if they likely did not know that Byleth was CP5. If they didn't know who CP5 was, in order to deconfirm characters, they needed some type of evidence or something that suggested that these characters were definitely not playable

-We also know that FP2 was being finalized around this time also, which adds into this Theory. Remember that Vergeben, when talking about the Minecraft content, didn't know to what extent that piece of info would go to, or how long it would take

Those are just some of the reasons Why I think there is more plausibility to this theory than meets the eye. It's also very notable that all 4 of the characters we have on FP2 were not on the Accurate list. Plus with some characters on this list, after this was posted, we've been getting evidence toward good amount of these characters not being chosen for the FP2.

Though with that being said, this does really count out alot of characters though, and while there are only 2 characters left, the fact that this lists alot of Plausible speculation characters like Ryu, Crash, and any Bandai Namco character, with even darkhorses like Sol, Falcom characters, and Reimu being listed, I understand why this theory is not really something that gains much traction, along with the fact that Verge and Nekoo (who commented on my theory) only meant for this to be applied to CP5

But I will say that when covering the Minecraft content, or even the Square character (intially), they probably didn't know that we would go into a 2nd fighter Pass when they first covered those rumors
Have you ever stepped back to consider that Vergeben's source was just.... bad?

Vergeben didn't get a single character right post-Hero, who he didn't even know as Hero just that "Another Square-Enix character". He didn't know Joker, he didn't know Banjo, that was Shinobi, and he did not know Terry, that was Sabi who leaked Terry to him, meaning that Vergeben had gone two whole characters without knowing who would be revealed.

You can maybe pin Steve on him, I do not, because most of what he said in regards to Minecraft he didn't even get right, he didn't think Minecraft would get a playable character, that was Hitagi who first said Steve, and Hitagi was full of ****. Verg thought it'd only get a stage and a boss, he only started singing the tune of Steve after Hitagi, and Hitagi is not a trustworthy source, or else I'd be maining Katalina right now.

You're putting a LOT of faith in this list when it's more than likely Verg got a very bad source. He hadn't gotten the last 2 characters, and he has had bad sources before, remember when he said that Noctis would be in Smash Ultimate? There's also the fact that he himself admitted that he had zero clue who FP5 actually was until another person leaked Byleth to him 5 minutes before the presentation, which, to me, sounds like the source he had didn't know anything and was yanking him around.

Lemme ask you another question. How can Vergeben's supposed source know what something isn't, but not what it is? Because Verg flat out admitted he didn't know who it was until that Gamefaqs PM 5 minutes before the presentation, yet somehow his source knew what it was NOT, but not what it was? Because his source never told him what it was, just what it was not. Do you not see the logical fallacy here? You cannot know what something is not unless you know what something is to begin with. Verg's source never told Verg what the character is, yet Verg's source told him what it... wasn't? The source knew entire companies and super-specific characters that it WASN'T, but it couldn't say who it WAS? In what ****ing way does that make sense? I'm sorry, but I'm calling bull****, pure bull****.

The list is not to be listened to. Verg was fed bad info by a bs source, even he claims he had no idea who the **** the character was. An actual source doesn't play games like that. If the source actually knew, they would have told him, not told him everything that it wasn't.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Will be interesting to see if there are any subtleties when translated but that's about the best "no comment" answer I've seen. This is definitely cold water but I can't say it's damning either. If so, however, the wait for the final two is going to feel a whole lot longer going forward.

Honestly I think it's kind of more depressing that this more or less confirms the source code for those versions of the modern trilogy are lost. Feels like post-2000 era games shouldn't be having such problems. I haven't played any of the modern trilogy, but I do know there are some big fans of those versions.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Have you ever stepped back to consider that Vergeben's source was just.... bad?

Vergeben didn't get a single character right post-Hero, who he didn't even know as Hero just that "Another Square-Enix character". He didn't know Joker, he didn't know Banjo, that was Shinobi, and he did not know Terry, that was Sabi who leaked Terry to him, meaning that Vergeben had gone two whole characters without knowing who would be revealed.

You can maybe pin Steve on him, I do not, because most of what he said in regards to Minecraft he didn't even get right, he didn't think Minecraft would get a playable character, that was Hitagi who first said Steve, and Hitagi was full of ****. Verg thought it'd only get a stage and a boss, he only started singing the tune of Steve after Hitagi, and Hitagi is not a trustworthy source, or else I'd be maining Katalina right now.

You're putting a LOT of faith in this list when it's more than likely Verg got a very bad source. He hadn't gotten the last 2 characters, and he has had bad sources before, remember when he said that Noctis would be in Smash Ultimate? There's also the fact that he himself admitted that he had zero clue who FP5 actually was until another person leaked Byleth to him 5 minutes before the presentation, which, to me, sounds like the source he had didn't know anything and was yanking him around.

Lemme ask you another question. How can Vergeben's supposed source know what something isn't, but not what it is? Because Verg flat out admitted he didn't know who it was until that Gamefaqs PM 5 minutes before the presentation, yet somehow his source knew what it was NOT, but not what it was? Because his source never told him what it was, just what it was not. Do you not see the logical fallacy here? You cannot know what something is not unless you know what something is to begin with. Verg's source never told Verg what the character is, yet Verg's source told him what it... wasn't? The source knew entire companies and super-specific characters that it WASN'T, but it couldn't say who it WAS? In what ing way does that make sense? I'm sorry, but I'm calling bull, pure bull****.

The list is not to be listened to. Verg was fed bad info by a bs source, even he claims he had no idea who the **** the character was. An actual source doesn't play games like that. If the source actually knew, they would have told him, not told him everything that it wasn't.
That's the question I asked

how can the Source know what something isn't, but not what it is

Which Is the main backbone of my theory. That the Source must have gotten info that pointed to the characters on the List not being playable in DLC.

Though to be honest, I do have to agree with alot of what you said. I will say that with the amount of Companies this source commented on, I doubt this source has connections that go that strong into these many Companies. If he had no idea who any of the Playable DLC were or could have been, he would have to be someone that's get alot of rumors from the rumor mill, and since rumors have different sources tied to them, they have different Validity

Here's how I stand on this List

-The Source is heavily bunk, and perhaps was taking Vergeben for a ride

-This source is Legit, but was still taking Vergeben for a ride

-The Source used alot of rumors from the Rumor mill to deconfirm certain characters, but with each rumor, has different valdity

-The Source might have heard of characters that had a strong chance of being playable, but not who exaclt among those would be CP5, and using which characters had more evidence in favor of them being playable, they deconfirm those that did not

The Last scenraio, seeing as I doubt he have that many connections to those many Companies, means he has a really high position either at Nintendo or Sora LTD. (which is just mostly composed of Bandai Namco employees)

As for other things you said

-If alot of characters were in the rumor mill, it be very hard to pinpoint who would actually be coming next, which is what I heard was a reason people weren't looking at Terry too much, because there were other characters that were louder in the rumor mill

-For Hitagi, you could have said that he stated "No Atlus Character". that was the biggest blow to his Cred

-Vergeben definitely gets bad sources. I was a Speculator for the Base game of DB FighterZ, and Vergeben was not the best at "leaking the roster", he even did some shady stuff, like change info of his once the actual Devs leaked info themselves (He said Hit and/or Goku Black were gonna be DLC, but when they were leaked by an accidental pic, he changed the info to say they were on Base)

Shroob

Sup?
That's the question I asked

how can the Source know what something isn't, but not what it is

Which Is the main backbone of my theory. That the Source must have gotten info that pointed to the characters on the List not being playable in DLC.

Though to be honest, I do have to agree with alot of what you said. I will say that with the amount of Companies this source commented on, I doubt this source has connections that go that strong into these many Companies. If he had no idea who any of the Playable DLC were or could have been, he would have to be someone that's get alot of rumors from the rumor mill, and since rumors have different sources tied to them, they have different Validity

Here's how I stand on this List

-The Source is heavily bunk, and perhaps was taking Vergeben for a ride

-This source is Legit, but was still taking Vergeben for a ride

-The Source used alot of rumors from the Rumor mill to deconfirm certain characters, but with each rumor, has different valdity

-The Source might have heard of characters that had a strong chance of being playable, but not who exaclt among those would be CP5, and using which characters had more evidence in favor of them being playable, they deconfirm those that did not

The Last scenraio, seeing as I doubt he have that many connections to those many Companies, means he has a really high position either at Nintendo or Sora LTD. (which is just mostly composed of Bandai Namco employees)

As for other things you said

-If alot of characters were in the rumor mill, it be very hard to pinpoint who would actually be coming next, which is what I heard was a reason people weren't looking at Terry too much, because there were other characters that were louder in the rumor mill

-For Hitagi, you could have said that he stated "No Atlus Character". that was the biggest blow to his Cred

-Vergeben definitely gets bad sources. I was a Speculator for the Base game of DB FighterZ, and Vergeben was not the best at "leaking the roster", he even did some shady stuff, like change info of his once the actual Devs leaked info themselves (He said Hit and/or Goku Black were gonna be DLC, but when they were leaked by an accidental pic, he changed the info to say they were on Base)
Again though, you're not answering your own question.

How did the source know what it was not, but not what it was?

Because need I remind you that the source was able to say that it wasn't a character from the Touhou Project/Team Shangai Alice of all things. You're telling me that this source somehow knows everything that it isn't, even stuff like Touhou, but not what it is?

You can't do that.

"Is it Touhou?"

Source, "Nope, it ain't that!"

"Is it Hayabusa?"

"Is it Kos-Mos?"

"Is it any of these companies?"

Source, "Nope, it ain't them!"

"Then what is it?"

Source, "Not saying!"

That's not how this ****ing works.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Will be interesting to see if there are any subtleties when translated but that's about the best "no comment" answer I've seen. This is definitely cold water but I can't say it's damning either. If so, however, the wait for the final two is going to feel a whole lot longer going forward.

Honestly I think it's kind of more depressing that this more or less confirms the source code for those versions of the modern trilogy are lost. Feels like post-2000 era games shouldn't be having such problems. I haven't played any of the modern trilogy, but I do know there are some big fans of those versions.
The more I find out about game preservation by various companies, the more I realize that Nintendo's vast amount of prototypes, version builds, and data make them more the exception than the rule unfortunately. Them still having the source code for original version of Trials of Mana (and not Square Enix, the company that actually made it) kind of tells you everything.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
..no!

wait, hasn't there been 2 Pokemon tourneys? Then why are people still speculating on a Pokemon?
I’ve been saying a Sword and Shield Pokemon is disconfirmed due to that spirit event brining in new spirits from that game. Online tourneys clearly don’t disconfirm as otherwise we would not have had Sephiroth after that 90’s tourney and Pokemon showed that series tourneys can be repeated.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Who’s a pretty famous gaming icon that you never see getting speculated to be put in Smash? My biggest one is Prince of Persia - pretty huge game franchise but I’ve literally never seen him suggested.
For me, it would be anyone from Warcraft or Starcraft. These games are/were huge all over the world and have amazing characters but I’ve never seen anyone other than myself bring them up. My personal choices would be Illidan Stormrage and Sarah Kerrigan but pretty much anyone would be great.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Again though, you're not answering your own question.

How did the source know what it was not, but not what it was?

Because need I remind you that the source was able to say that it wasn't a character from the Touhou Project/Team Shangai Alice of all things. You're telling me that this source somehow knows everything that it isn't, even stuff like Touhou, but not what it is?

You can't do that.

"Is it Touhou?"

"Is it Hayabusa?"

"Is it Kos-Mos?"

"Is it any of these companies?"

Source, "Nope, it ain't them!"

"Then what is it?"

Source, "Not saying!"

That's not how this ****ing works.
I did answer your question. I gave you scenarios on how he might not have known who exactly was CP5, but knew who it wasn't

-He got the info from the rumor mill, of who wasn't in the game as Playable. though if that was the case, each of these rumors will have different varying levels of validity

-He had evidence of certain number of fighters being playable, but did not know exactly was gonna be CP5. Keep in mind FP2 was being finalized around this time

Shroob

Sup?
I did answer your question. I gave you scenarios on how he might not have known who exactly was CP5, but knew who it wasn't

-He got the info from the rumor mill, of who wasn't in the game as Playable. though if that was the case, each of these rumors will have different varying levels of validity

-He had evidence of certain number of fighters being playable, but did not know exactly was gonna be CP5. Keep in mind FP2 was being finalized around this time
So what you're describing is an unreliable source.

Ergo, they are unreliable and shouldn't be given credit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean that sounds more pathetic than I expected.. from the fans. I mean Sakurai is the kind of person who always respected the era where their series is at the highest peak, you can tell how much he pander for SF2 and WarioWare in Smash and for modern Kirby I mean all the game is good but it doesn't really the same as like say Breath of the Wild as the turning point in the series. The classic game itself is already a good enough example for the series. God, this the Kanto/Gen 1 pandering complain all over again.

If you know Kirby's highest legacy then you know why.
I don't get this argument at all when moat other franchises in Smash, big or small, have more diversity in their representation. Like, CastleVania gave love to the NES trilogy, 1 SNES game, 2 arcade games, 1 Genesis game, 1 PC Engine game, 1 PS1 game, 1 PS2 game, 2 GBA games, 3 DS games and a PS3/Xbox 360 game, it didn't cater exclusively to SotN but a majority of the franchise. It'd be one thing if people were focusing on a specific game in the series, but people want more than a specific game. Would you call Star Fox fans pathetic because they want a new game to not be another reboot?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With Kirby I think its a particularly frustrating situation because there have arguably been two eras (the experimental period of 2001-2010 and the Return to Dreamland period of 2011-2020) and neither feels particularly well represented in Smash.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So what you're describing is an unreliable source.

Ergo, they are unreliable and shouldn't be given credit.
Honestly, I guess so. Then again, when it comes to Inside info, It's hard to know exactly what some info will actually entail

Like the info would have merit, but you can't get any deeper without a little Speculation

This is what I believe was the whole thing behing Fatmanonice, as well as his downfall. He probably did have real info, but he speculated way too hard around it and got bodied. He did at least say he was mainly a Speculator with Inside info, but it still did not end well for him

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can't help but feel that as the pass and smash ultimate dlc draws to a close and news of Hayabusa's death, the likelihood of one of the last dlc characters being Crash Bandicoot reaches 1.

Hopefully they've got some surprises up their sleaves...
Surprises that appeal to me specifically.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

and that' a pretty big problem with some of the stage choices and what lead's to donkey kong and kirby having pretty terrible stage selections that don't represent their games that well.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Hmm speculation has been pretty boring lately, I wonder if any recent news dro-

My and my monkey's paw. Hayabusa....

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
It means absolutely nothing IMO, it's such a non answer it gives me vibes of Grant Kirkhope saying "Don't get your hopes up for Banjo".
Problem is that Grant's response was a tweet he wasn't obligated to make at all. This was an interview where the question shouldn't have been able to be brought up if there was an NDA anyways.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Problem is that Grant's response was a tweet he wasn't obligated to make at all. This was an interview where the question shouldn't have been able to be brought up if there was an NDA anyways.
Matt Mercer was asked about Chrom in Smash while a SNK bigwig was asked about SNK representation in Smash before those were confirmed, Matt Mercer said he heard nothing of the sort and hadn't bern contacted for Smash but 2 months later, Robin's trailer came out with freshly recorded Chrom lines.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wow, we actually might be looking at a Hayabusa disconfirmation? That would be kinda nuts, I thought he'd be one of the biggest beneficiaries of Second Chance Theory besides Monster Hunter.

Hmm speculation has been pretty boring lately, I wonder if any recent news dro-

My and my monkey's paw. Hayabusa....
Tyler1 memes? Here, have a like.

And I do agree, people love to bring up Grant, but 9 times out of 10, when a developer says their character isn't in, it means they aren't in.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
First thing I wake up to is a possible Hayabusa deconfirm?

Uh... wow. I genuinely thought he’d be a cool character and put him in my top 10 wants.

For now, those who support should not completely give up hope. While this interview exists, there is always a slim chance of it being a Red Herring.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly it's hard not to see the disparity between how Sakurai-era Kirby and post-Sakurai Kirby are represented.

Characters: All three Kirby characters debuted in games Sakurai created. This is the least egregious category, though, because if you had three Kirby characters of course it would be this trio. Of note, Kirby and Dedede pull their Final Smashes from post-Sakurai games.

Stages: Every Kirby stage is based on a Sakurai-era game. Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams, Green Greens, Dreamland GB, Great Cave Offensive, Halberd...

Of note, Epic Yarn was apparently in the plans to get a stage in 4, but lo and behold, as soon as a Yoshi game that hadn't been released yet was revealed with a similar aesthetic, Epic Yarn was mysteriously scrapped in favor of it...wonder why.

Music: Only a small handful of songs from the modern era are present...and none are remixes. Every Kirby remix comes from a game Sakurai made. Air Ride has multiple remixes, and all post-Sakurai Kirby games combined have zero.

Assist Trophies: Knuckle Joe, Nightmare, Chef Kawasaki. All from the Sakurai era, with fan favorites like Susie, Magolor, and Galacta Knight being no-shows.

Spirits and World of Light: Marx is a boss. Gourmet Race got its own sub-area. Bandana Dee doesn't even get a spirit battle due to being an upgrade for normal Waddle Dee.

To me it's pretty telling that most of the already-scarce content from modern Kirby comes from direct music rips and reused Spirit artwork, all of which were pre-existing resources. Meanwhile almost every bit of original content in Smash pulls exclusively from Sakurai-era Kirby games, with the only two things that aren't from those games being the Ultra Sword and Masked Dedede.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Reminder Grant Kirkhope said the same thing about Banjo.
Reminder that Frank O'Connor also said the same about Master Chief. So did the Doom devs about Slayer. And Square's VP about Sora. And Donald Mustard about Jonesy. And Ed Boon had that interview where he said he'd love Scorpion in Smash. And there's more examples I could pull, but I don't wanna rant more than I already am.

As anyone can see, none of these characters are in as of now. Even if two of them made it for the last spots, there would still be more examples of actual disconfirms than "false" ones like with Kirkhope or SNK.

So if there's any precedent, it's that usually when there's these interview disconfirmations, they most likely are for real, even if there's a small chance the devs are just lying under NDA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom