• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So Ryu Hayabusa is possibly deconfirmed? Huh, well that's a shakeup...

So are we gonna say Koei Tecmo as a whole is dead, or do Warriors and/or Dead or Alive still have a chance?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

So are we gonna say Koei Tecmo as a whole is dead, or do Warriors and/or Dead or Alive still have a chance?
Warriors is a series I could see getting a rep, provided they can get over said rep being a re-fictionalized version of another fictional character/real person. Which is definitely possible.

DoA, though... I can't see it being a priority. It's not as big as Warriors and compared to other fighting games, DoA is kind of just... there. When it comes to fighters, my money would be on Arcsys, not Tecmo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So if Ryu Hayabusa is deconfirmed in this case. Who else is left that fits "Fix theory" or "Base Content Theory"?
I will die on the Octoling hill, Squid Sisters costumes be damned

they’re counted as the OG Splatoon and thus shouldn’t count against Octo Expansion idc what you have to say

veemo

Last edited:

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Or do you guys think Fix/Base Content Theory is going to be among those patterns that'll just be broken like always?
Base Content theory has been stretched way too far already at this point. It's over. The two games that were said to have missed the window for base game got their reps (ARMS/Xenoblade 2). People have just tried to make it a full blown conspiracy with bad data points and massive assumptions.

People have decided that Sephiroth was the band-aid fix to low FF content and it was the only way to license Cloud. There is no evidence for this.
People have decided that because Steve had been in negotiations for years, he was meant for base game.
People bought into a text leak (Chun-leak) that of course meant that Chun and Yuri/Lloyd were the last two characters because they were obviously meant for base game.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

If Koei Tecmo were going to choose anyone, it'd probably be Ryu Hayabusa. if Ryu Hayabusa is out then Koei Tecmo as a whole are out.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully this doesn't cause any confusion in the future.

on the topic of final fantasy villain's after sephiroth what would be the next best one?

imo it's kefka but 1-10's villains are all so so strong (for the most part) it could go either way to any of them really, (Ardyn is cool too from what little i played of 15)
It probably will, but I find it amusing, so I'm fine with it lol.

Someone from 6 would probably be next in line since 6 and 7 are near equal when people debate 'Best FF Game'. Though because we don't have any protags yet, I'd say it'd be a decision between Terra & Celes.

Terra seemed like the protagonist for the World of Balance where she was accompanying everyone to first determine whetehr she should help fight against the empire, then to find out who/what she truly was after going bonkers meeting Tritoch and turning Esper. Then for the World of Ruin, you start playing as Celes to find the scattered party and re-recruit them to put down Kefka for good and she was on a redemption, 'find her path' arc in that half so she seemed like the protagonist for that half of the game.

Kefka would be better left for after you get at least one of those two in first.

In all honesty though, Final Fantasy could use a Smash series all to its own. Dissidia was cool and all (at least the first 2 were) but a Smash Bros. Clone would be perfect (so long as they don't crap the bed by doing what PS All Stars Battle Royale did). 2 Main Party Characters and 1 main Villain from each entry (along with at least 2 'mainstay' characters like Cactuar, Chocobo, Mog, or Tonberry) would be an easy roster.

Just going to spoiler the whole post to not interrupt current talk since I just realized I'm quoting a conversation from 6 pages ago and already done at this point lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
tellin ya

Splatoon 2 has very few music in the base game, no Octo Canyon music, no Octo Expansion music despite two spirits

and you know how much I gush and meme about the Octo Expansion

it’s perfect

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If Koei Tecmo were going to choose anyone, it'd probably be Ryu Hayabusa. if Ryu Hayabusa is out then Koei Tecmo as a whole are out.
I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. I think Warriors is a bigger franchise and has a bigger impact on gaming overall than Ninja Gaiden personally. The only thing holding them back is the fact that they are based on real people. If they could work around this, I wouldn’t count Lu Bu out as a potential character. I would personally be a lot more hyped for Lu Bu than Ryu.

On another note, if Ryu Hyabusa is actually deconfirmed, that increases the chances of the Battletoads making it in since Ryu was the most likely retro character.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Characters: All three Kirby characters debuted in games Sakurai created. This is the least egregious category, though, because if you had three Kirby characters of course it would be this trio. Of note, Kirby and Dedede pull their Final Smashes from post-Sakurai games.
To add on this, Bandana Dee feels like the only time an extra Kirby character felt like they belonged more, similar to how K.Rool didn't become popular until after Diddy got confirmed, Kirby had Meta Knight confirmed on Brawl's announcement and Dedede was the next obvious choice, who'd be one of the last newcomers confirmed iirc, there wasn't a clearcut character after him until BDee secured his Player 4 spot

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I wouldn’t necessarily agree with that. I think Warriors is a bigger franchise and has a bigger impact on gaming overall than Ninja Gaiden personally. The only thing holding them back is the fact that they are based on real people. If they could work around this, I wouldn’t count Lu Bu out as a potential character. I would personally be a lot more hyped for Lu Bu than Ryu.

On another note, if Ryu Hyabusa is actually deconfirmed, that increases the chances of the Battletoads making it in since Ryu was the most likely retro character.
I think the idea is that Hayabusa himself is a bigger character then anyone from Warriors

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Don't you all find it strange that Jack Frost from SMT has remained MIA from Smash despite being a mainstay in the Persona franchise and the mascot of the company?

You know what that means...

View attachment 308476
FREE MY SON.
Smh you didn't say free-ho, fake fan alert, ho!

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So I just read the interview about Hayabusa and I wonder, would Fumihiko Yasuda even know if Hayabusa would be in Smash? He didn't even create the characters, he just produced some of the modern Ninja gaiden games and Nioh. Also he doesn't work at Koei tecmo, but at the smaller division Ninja theory. I think that if Hayabusa was negotiated, Nintendo would have to talk with Tecmo, not Ninja theory.

Beside, the answer is pretty vague. He just said "I'm waiting for an invitation", which could be a joke about the fact that many Smash trailer featured the invitation letter. This could mean that Haybusa could have his invitation in a trailer soon. So I don't thin this is a hard disconfirmation for Hayabusa.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think the idea is that Hayabusa himself is a bigger character then anyone from Warriors
That’s probably true but I think Warriors is big enough that a lot of people would still recognize Lu Bu or Zhao Yun. I think even Yukinura Sanaa or Oda Nobunaga would be pretty recognizable from Samurai Warriors. Warriors also has amazing music that would be perfect for Smash. If a Warriors character made it in, I feel like we would at least get a Ninja Gaiden song with them seeing as Hyabusa was in Warriors Orochi.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Gosh if Crash Bandicoot gets soft disconfirmed like Hayabusa then we're in for real shake up.

Now that I think about it, I'm starting to see some similarities with Doom Guy.

Pete Hines in a Nintendo Power Podcast: "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans"

Crash Bandicoot twitter account: "Along with some other fun happenings in celebration of the franchises 25th anniversary"

I think Koei Tecmo would still choose Ryu Hayabusa over anyone else because he best represents what the company is all about. If they didn't see any potential in him he wouldn't be used in so many crossovers. I don't disagree with Nintendo using real life people because they've already done that with the Dr. Kawashima assist trophy but again I think Hayabusa is very important to Koei Tecmo.

As for the Battletoads, I don't see why Nintendo would save a spot for a retro character nor how that improves their chances of getting in.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think it’s safe to say that if we get an Overwatch Spirit Event before Crash, ergo, that Activision Blizzard’s first piece of involvement is non playable content, then Crash is dead

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who knows who the last two could be at this point.

All I'm certain is we'll at least get one more "Big" character given June/E3 Month.

Screw it, I'm throwing the bone in and betting it being Master Chief.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think it’s safe to say that if we get an Overwatch Spirit Event before Crash, ergo, that Activision Blizzard’s first piece of involvement is non playable content, then Crash is dead
That would mean that all Arc System Works characters are out of the running as well, so no Sol Badguy or Ragna.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gosh if Crash Bandicoot gets soft disconfirmed like Hayabusa then we're in for real shake up.

Now that I think about it, I'm starting to see some similarities with Doom Guy.

Pete Hines in a Nintendo Power Podcast: "who knows, maybe some more surprises for Nintendo fans"

Crash Bandicoot twitter account: "Along with some other fun happenings in celebration of the franchises 25th anniversary"

I think Koei Tecmo would still choose Ryu Hayabusa over anyone else because he best represents what the company is all about. If they didn't see any potential in him he wouldn't be used in so many crossovers. I don't disagree with Nintendo using real life people because they've already done that with the Dr. Kawashima assist trophy but again I think Hayabusa is very important to Koei Tecmo.

As for the Battletoads, I don't see why Nintendo would save a spot for a retro character nor how that improves their chances of getting in.
You make good points but, at least for me, when I think of Koei-Tecmo, the first thing that comes to my mind are the Warriors games. They have had countless spin-offs and have worked with Nintendo with two Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors. Age of Calamity was actually Nintendo’s big holiday game last year.

As for Battletoads, that is just wishful thinking on my part because they are my most wanted. It only really helps them if Nintendo wants a retro rep but decided that Lu Bu would be better than Ryu Hyabusa for some reason. I admit that’s unlikely but it is technically possible.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
People still think Sol Badguy has a chance after those spirits from Arc Sys, in fact some think he's more likely.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That would mean that all Arc System Works characters are out of the running as well, so no Sol Badguy or Ragna.
Marvelous as well, so no Senran Kagura or anything

not sure if the Travis costume counts against Marvelous as that’s technically Grasshopper Manufacture

Lyncario

Smash Ace
So if I'm following this, then Hayabusa is most likely dead. Huh. I guess we should have seen this one coming, considering how he was often paired up with Doomguy in fake leaks, and well, we learned of Doomguy's fate regarding Smash pretty early in this pass.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So if I'm following this, then Hayabusa is most likely dead. Huh. I guess we should have seen this one coming, considering how he was often paired up with Doomguy in fake leaks, and well, we learned of Doomguy's fate regarding Smash pretty early in this pass.
Yeah. With Hayabusa possibly deconfirmed I'm now expecting more lowkey characters for CP10 and CP11.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
When your two predictions for FP10 and FP11 get deconfirmed, one of which was your most wanted...

Not gonna lie, this did actually take a fair bit of wind out of my sails lol. Smash Ultimate has still given me a lot of my most wanteds (:ultridley:, :ulthero2:, and:ultbyleth:), so it's difficult to be too upset at this development.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea who the next two fighters are now that Ryu Hayabusa, Bandana Waddle Dee, and Capcom as a whole are down the toilet, so I'm just going to stab the air and say Lloyd because of the Mii Costume and Ayumi Tachibana because FP1 and Smash for's DLC saved a spot for an earlier release.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
People still think Sol Badguy has a chance after those spirits from Arc Sys, in fact some think he's more likely.
See, for the longest time I’ve thought the opposite. Yes, Sephiroth got in despite two Square Enix Spirit Events preceding him, but you gotta also keep in mind we already had Cloud and Hero playable beforehand. But the spirits being ArcSys’s first content, before a playable character? Yeah that doesn’t bode well

I could at least see it as the start of negotiations for next Smash or even Ultimate Deluxe/Encore, but even that’s doubtful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom