• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And with this, RIP Bandana Waddle Dee, Adeleine, and Susie
Were the Spirit Events ever that much of an issue? Unless there's a new Kirby Spirit I'm missing, I don't think it's too much of a blow.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
And with this, RIP Bandana Waddle Dee, Adeleine, and Susie
..no!

wait, hasn't there been 2 Pokemon tourneys? Then why are people still speculating on a Pokemon?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Were the Spirit Events ever that much of an issue? Unless there's a new Kirby Spirit I'm missing, I don't think it's too much of a blow.
This isn't even a Spirit event, it's a tourney. That makes it have even less weight for speculation imo. BWD is low on my predictions list but tbh I could totally see it lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
..no!

wait, hasn't there been 2 Pokemon tourneys? Then why are people still speculating on a Pokemon?
Because it's Pokemon, that's why.

Though, I think the main issue there is the fact that we already got SwSh Spirits. Besides, didn't we get Sephiroth long after the 90's tournament? I'd be more worried if Wrestler Kirby or whatever got a new Spirit, but it seems like Spirit Events are mostly just afterthoughts beyond the new Spirits.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
to clarify, this is a tourney and not a Spirit Event, right?
This is a tourney

I did speculate that the Pokémon tourney shortly before Pythra meant bye bye Pokémon newcomer especially since TPC would likely have green lit a newcomer beforehand... right?

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, you know what they say

View attachment 308423
This is good for (insert most wanted here), because (most wanted) has (insert vague connection to a salmony color)
Warning: This part is what happens when Smash Speculation enters the Fumble Dimension. This is no ordinary Smash Speculation insanity.

[Insert insane argument here about how this helps Mallow since the color his body looks kinda Orange-colored:

But not only that, but also since he wears pants akin to Obelix from the Asterix comics, and Obelix is a Gaul.

But not only that, but also since Mallow's Spirit is in Magicant and Magicant.

But not only that, both Magicant and the Gauls are deeply connected to music. Magicant via the Eight Melodies, while the Gauls used the Carnyx horn as an instrument:

Thus, Mallow = confirmed... something for CP10.]

Exits the Fumble Dimension.

:4pacman: (Jesus, typing this out hurt my brain even as satire. Did it as an excuse to post that song, because I'm gonna continue posting Civ VI songs.)

why don't i learn stuff like this in school. pythagorean theorum will never discover the next dlc fighter in super smash bros. a^2 + b^2 will never = dante.

and we already learnt pythagorean theorem over it two years ago this is a waste of time but it's also easy so i don't mind.
B-b-b-but Sephiroth's Final Smash (and original super attack) uses real complicated mathematical theories like the Hellmann-Feynman theorem and the Einstein gravitational constant:

That must mean something, right?! :troll:

INB4 everyone complains because "he can constantly deal damage from all the way across the stage" when in reality the projectile attack that lets him do that is pretty committal and you just have to rush him down + he has a gauge that limits his Septima use anyway.

Personally, I didn't like Asure Striker: Gunvolt because Gunvolt's Septima, while not nearly as problematic as Xellerate, is kinda clunky, the levels aren't always clear in their path forward so sometimes I jump off and die, the mix of Mega Man (think fast & remember patterns) and endgame Kirby (barf hitboxes all over the screen) boss design tendancies is infuriating, and I'm not a fan of subs, especially outside of cut-scenes where my attention needs to be elsewhere.

I think the slower on average attacks of Super Smash Bros. would make Gunvolt a lot more fun to control, and I would be interested to see how exactly his Septima is handled, so I'm not against his inclusion despite my issues with his home game (didn't play the sequels).
Deep breath.

Okay, time to go back to serious stuff.

It's worth noting that really projectile-heavy users like :ultgunner: do not feel overwhelming (unless one runs into a spammer one can't deal with, granted, but there's counterplay to that) so I do think that's a good way to go with Gunvolt. I do wonder about how they should handle that huge ball of electricity that he has in his arsenal, but I suppose that that's doable by having it be tied to the meter (IIRC) and rather commital in nature, right?

...there were two????
Yes. One for Pokemon Sword / Shield's release (November 2019), the other presumably celebrating Pokemon's 25th anniversary (March 2021).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
This isn't even a Spirit event, it's a tourney. That makes it have even less weight for speculation imo. BWD is low on my predictions list but tbh I could totally see it lol.
Ah, I see. Yeah, Tourney's are pretty carefree with what they're based on. BWD isn't that high on my prediction list, but I don't think this is that much of a strike against them.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I remember, early into Ultimate speculation, I was happy because two of my most wanteds were locks. I could not see a timeline where they were excluded, every card was in their favor.

those characters were Bandana Dee and Decidueye.
That was Elma for me... possibly Neku too

Warning: This part is what happens when Smash Speculation enters the Fumble Dimension. This is no ordinary Smash Speculation insanity.

[Insert insane argument here about how this helps Mallow since the color his body looks kinda Orange-colored:

But not only that, but also since he wears pants akin to Obelix from the Asterix comics, and Obelix is a Gaul.

But not only that, but also since Mallow's Spirit is in Magicant and Magicant.

But not only that, both Magicant and the Gauls are deeply connected to music. Magicant via the Eight Melodies, while the Gauls used the Carnyx horn as an instrument:

Thus, Mallow = confirmed... something for CP10.]

Exits the Fumble Dimension.

:4pacman: (Jesus, typing this out hurt my brain even as satire. Did it as an excuse to post that song, because I'm gonna continue posting Civ VI songs.)

B-b-b-but Sephiroth's Final Smash (and original super attack) uses real complicated mathematical theories like the Hellmann-Feynman theorem and the Einstein gravitational constant:

That must mean something, right?! :troll:

Deep breath.

Okay, time to go back to serious stuff.

It's worth noting that really projectile-heavy users like :ultgunner: do not feel overwhelming (unless one runs into a spammer one can't deal with, granted, but there's counterplay to that) so I do think that's a good way to go with Gunvolt. I do wonder about how they should handle that huge ball of electricity that he has in his arsenal, but I suppose that that's doable by having it be tied to the meter (IIRC) and rather commital in nature, right?

Yes. One for Pokemon Sword / Shield's release (November 2019), the other presumably celebrating Pokemon's 25th anniversary (March 2021).
Holy crap you’re right

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Though, I think the main issue there is the fact that we already got SwSh Spirits. Besides, didn't we get Sephiroth long after the 90's tournament? I'd be more worried if Wrestler Kirby or whatever got a new Spirit, but it seems like Spirit Events are mostly just afterthoughts beyond the new Spirits.
honestly I feel like the Spirit Events that lack new spirits are more or less just put together by the devs in their spare time lol

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

of all the timelines, i did not intend to stumble into the one where cacomallow happens, but as fighters instead of miis.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey uhhh

anyone else get a notice for smash maintenance?

you guys think they’re migrating the online to the new system or something...?

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I personally think that if we were going to get a Kirby character, we would already have seen the game they're coming from; Both of the characters from super new releases (Corrin & Byleth) were pretty aggressively advertised leading up to their reveal.
Devil's advocate, but it's possible the game was supposed to be out by now, but covid ****ed things up.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Hey uhhh

anyone else get a notice for smash maintenance?

you guys think they’re migrating the online to the new system or something...?
It was just a simple bug fix patch. Wii Fit had a lot of landing lag reduced on her side-b for some reason so they reverted it.

Thank god too, it allowed her to do some stupid **** lol.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Marluxia has entered the chat

BTW:
We speculate about pink characters in the same night of a tourney reveal for one of the biggest pink characters out there.

Coincidence? I think not! :4pacman:

Ah, so you're saying we'll get Wrestler Kirby next, I see.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Devil's advocate, but it's possible the game was supposed to be out by now, but covid ****ed things up.
Possibly, but considering that they were able to get out a full Nintendo Direct, Splatoon 3 was able to make the cut despite being a 2021 release, and a spin-off has data for a new mainline title, I'm leaning toward it being considered a much smaller title for this year.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Yeah, but then you gotta go out and restart the match until you get someone you like. It's easier to just direct the flow in advance so you don't have to keep micro-managing it on the fly.
Is that just in the online mode, or everywhere?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Mega Man 7 turns 26 today

Shroob

Sup?
Why does everyone care that much about "hurrrdurrr, Sakurai act like modern Kirby game don't exist blablabla"?

I don't know if it's a joke or an actual complain.
I mean

It'd be nice to have more than 2 Final Smashes that are from more recent games tbh.

Stuff like Planet Robobot would make for an amazing stage... instead we get Great Cave Offensive.

Aside from Kirby and Dedede's FS, and some spirits, everything Kirby-related is pulled from Sakurai's run on the Kirby series, which, I mean, c'mon, we get it, you made Kirby, but some of the new games are legitimately really good and it feels like you're going out of your way to ignore them.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I mean

It'd be nice to have more than 2 Final Smashes that are from more recent games tbh.

Stuff like Planet Robobot would make for an amazing stage... instead we get Great Cave Offensive.

Aside from Kirby and Dedede's FS, and some spirits, everything Kirby-related is pulled from Sakurai's run on the Kirby series, which, I mean, c'mon, we get it, you made Kirby, but some of the new games are legitimately really good and it feels like you're going out of your way to ignore them.
Can we really call Super Star Ultra Modern Kirby though? I’m not sure masked DeDeDe counts for the modern series.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Can we really call Super Star Ultra Modern Kirby though? I’m not sure masked DeDeDe counts.
I'd say it counts, if only because Masked Dedede is something that wasn't a one-off deal, and has kept getting ideas thrown onto him in time. Sorta like Galacta Knight. It's a remake sure, but I feel like there's enough differences, especially since he's appeared in several games since.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is that just in the online mode, or everywhere?
In general, yeah. You can't change fighters on the fly, so if Random Button gives you someone you don't like you've gotta go back and redo it.
Can we really call Super Star Ultra Modern Kirby though? I’m not sure masked DeDeDe counts for the modern series.
I think KSSU counts. That was the first game where Shinya Kumazaki took the helm, and it introduced numerous staples of the modern Kirby era; Extra Modes, The True Arena, numerous expanded Copy Abilities, "Soul" bosses, so on and so forth. RtDL was the first chapter of Kumazaki's run, but KSSU was the prologue and should be counted in there was well.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I mean

I mean that sounds more pathetic than I expected.. from the fans. I mean Sakurai is the kind of person who always respected the era where their series is at the highest peak, you can tell how much he pander for SF2 and WarioWare in Smash and for modern Kirby I mean all the game is good but it doesn't really the same as like say Breath of the Wild as the turning point in the series. The classic game itself is already a good enough example for the series. God, this the Kanto/Gen 1 pandering complain all over again.

If you know Kirby's highest legacy then you know why.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean that sounds more pathetic than I expected.. from the fans. I mean Sakurai is the kind of person who always respected the era where their series is at the highest peak, you can tell how much he pander for SF2 and WarioWare in Smash and for modern Kirby I mean all the game is good but it doesn't really the same as like say Breath of the Wild as the turning point in the series. The classic game itself is already a good enough example for the series. God, this the Kanto/Gen 1 pandering complain all over again.
Or maybe people just like the modern Kirby games and want to see something from it? If people like something, they'd want to see it represented. It's not at all pathetic to just want more expanded representation than just the three games over and over again.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who’s a pretty famous gaming icon that you never see getting speculated to be put in Smash? My biggest one is Prince of Persia - pretty huge game franchise but I’ve literally never seen him suggested.
Does Lara Croft count? For being one of THE female video game protagonists, she sure is overlooked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom