• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Dreaming of the day the games industry starts giving a sh** about preservation.

I have a good buddy who's a huge film buff. The guy's a walking encyclopedia of movie knowledge, he's probably seen every movie ever made in the history of time. Because of this, he's always been very anti-piracy, a firm believer in supporting the official release and the people who make movies possible.

Then Disney purchased Fox.

I remember the day after it happened, he was sitting there almost like he was in a daze, and he looked at me and said, "Piracy is just the new preservation."

And like...it killed him to say that. It really did. But in an age where streaming is king and enormous media conglomerates just absorb smaller studios like Galactus eats planets...yeah. If you want to preserve the media you love, you have to own it.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door currently has a second-hand market value of over a hundred bucks. That wouldn't be the case if it was available on a modern Virtual Console. Or, for that matter, if the modern Paper Mario games were half as great as TTYD. It's a critically acclaimed title that is beloved by Nintendo fans around the world, and Nintendo hates that you want to play it. I'll never, ever understand, man.

Speaking of which...

Here's a fun discussion topic. What franchises or games have you been introduced to due to Smash speculation?
I've been trying to get my hands on a decent copy of Golden Sun for the GBA for the past year and it's been straight up impossible. I bought (and subsequently got my money back for) fake cartridges off of eBay twice, and the one local game shop near me is hilariously overpriced ($45 is their asking price for a loose copy of Golden Sun) and never carries decent first-party GBA games anyway.

I just want to play this JRPG with that Assist Trophy man everyone keeps talking about...golly, I wish Nintendo had some sort of way I could play it virtually or something...like, maybe through some kind of paid online service...?

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Here's a fun discussion topic. What franchises or games have you been introduced to due to Smash speculation? Ill say this, I have been shown the light in terms of Falcom. While Trails of the Sky and Cold Steel are on my backburner, Ys is fun. Like, real fun. And the soundtrack slaps. Honestly so glad I had it introduced to me.
Xenosaga, Xenoblade 2, Puyo Puyo, Sakura Wars, Hollow Knight, Ys/Trails of Cold Steel/Trails in the Sky, Touhou, Tales of Vesperia and ...Fortnite.

Right now, I am watching a playthrough of Tales of Vesperia and trying to learn more about Yuri Lowell and what he can bring in Smash. For example, Over Limit and Fatal Strike. If a Tales character does happen, then I hope a special skits segment featuring their respective party members is included whatever one does the special taunt command in their stage or other stages if it is possible.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm also someone who decided to check out Ys thanks to people talking about it, and the fact that all Ys games on Steam went on sale months ago. I've beaten
Ys1+2 Complete
YsIII: Oath To Felghana
YsIV: Memories of Calceta
Ys V (not on steam but still managed to play this)
Ys Origins (actually played this on Switch)

Just got 6-9 to go now. Thankfully most Ys games aren't really long at all (though I wouldn't be surprised if some later games end up being YsIV: Memories of Calceta length)

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Here's a fun discussion topic. What franchises or games have you been introduced to due to Smash speculation?

Ill say this, I have been shown the light in terms of Falcom. While Trails of the Sky and Cold Steel are on my backburner, Ys is fun. Like, real fun. And the soundtrack slaps. Honestly so glad I had it introduced to me.
The Fate series..I was introduced to it through making a DLC Fighter thing for Saber due to someone talking about her..and my research into it got me to actually check out Fate/Extella games and I loved them, leading me to get into the rest of the franchise.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Ill say this, I have been shown the light in terms of Falcom. While Trails of the Sky and Cold Steel are on my backburner, Ys is fun. Like, real fun. And the soundtrack slaps. Honestly so glad I had it introduced to me.
Too many to list all of them but recently I've been checking out the Tales Of series after hearing so much praise for it here. I've been really enjoying my time with Vesperia so far and I bought both Berseria and Symphonia Chronicles since they were fairly cheap.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Skullgirls as of recently. I saw someone suggesting something called Peacock to join Smash so I looked up the character and was heavily amused at her rubber hose animation, and even more interested when I saw the rest of the cast all having pretty fun and distinct styles.

I'm typically not that big of a fan of arcade style fighters but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I just watched the Super Best Friends video of it today and now I'm seriously considering buying it.

Staarih

Smash Master
I just want to play this JRPG with that Assist Trophy man everyone keeps talking about...golly, I wish Nintendo had some sort of way I could play it virtually or something...like, maybe through some kind of paid online service...?
Gotta boot up your Wii U and get your hands on the Virtual Console (is that even up and running anymore?). Seriously, if nothing else, Wii U's Virtual Console was the bomb, Switch better step up.

Anyway, in regards to what series speculation got me into, well, Golden Sun. I played GS and GS: TLA via the Wii U VC, and later found an inexpensive copy of Dark Dawn online. Now I'm eagerly waiting for Golden Sun 4 (please).

Another one would probably be Shantae. I may have known of her before speculation, but it is what drove me to play all her games.

And while not a series per say, Geno. I had never played Super Mario RPG and all the craze around him intrigued me. Eventually played SMRPG via, surprise surprise, Wii U VC (bless).

I've also become more familiar with stuff like Ninja Gaiden and Touhou, but haven't played the games. Looking back it's kinda crazy how familiar I was with many of the series in Smash now before I got into speculation. Stuff like Fire Emblem and Mother are an exception as speculation wasn't really a thing at that point and Smash was the one to introduce them to me. Bayonetta's inclusion was the one time Smash convinced me to try out Bayo 1+2, otherwise I had already played games of a fighter's series or had decided not to (but still knew of them). And, well, Terry was unknown to me but it was again more of Smash introducing him to me rather than speculation before his inclusion (I have no idea how SNK speculation flew under my radar).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Falcom games, League of Legends, Atelier, and I also rediscovered my love of Touhou after the early 2010s (it kinda fell off my radar mid last decade)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
We know that the only reason they're not seperate is because of time constraints, what great risks?
Every time you select random, there's about a 1/80 chance you have to play as Olimar. It's a harrowing prospect, but the chances are slim enough to be worth taking the risk. If Alph is turned into an echo, the chance is doubled. That's when the risk is too high. God forbid you add Louie on top....

I started realizing this wasn't funny about halfway through, but I already committed too much time to delete it.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Every time you select random, there's about a 1/80 chance you have to play as Olimar. It's a harrowing prospect, but the chances are slim enough to be worth taking the risk. If Alph is turned into an echo, the chance is doubled. That's when the risk is too high. God forbid you add Louie on top....

I started realizing this wasn't funny about halfway through, but I already committed too much time to delete it.
They really should implement a random character select like they do with stages.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I still firmly believe Sakurai when he says that the second fighter's pass is the last batch of DLC for Smash Bros Ultimate.

I have a good buddy who's a huge film buff. The guy's a walking encyclopedia of movie knowledge, he's probably seen every movie ever made in the history of time. Because of this, he's always been very anti-piracy, a firm believer in supporting the official release and the people who make movies possible.

Then Disney purchased Fox.

I remember the day after it happened, he was sitting there almost like he was in a daze, and he looked at me and said, "Piracy is just the new preservation."

And like...it killed him to say that. It really did. But in an age where streaming is king and enormous media conglomerates just absorb smaller studios like Galactus eats planets...yeah. If you want to preserve the media you love, you have to own it.
I fail to understand why your friend changed his mind about piracy when Disney acquired 21st Century Fox. It was Rupert Murdoch who wanted to sell and Disney wanted to buy. Apple could have easily bought 21st Century Fox without making a dent in its war chest of cash. Yes, having ownership of media is the definitive means of preservation but your friend seems more bitter about Disney's ever-growing influence so he's using film preservation as his scapegoat.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This buddy of yours must have lot of free time on his hands pre-COVID times. Wish I was him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I still firmly believe Sakurai when he says that the second fighter's pass is the last batch of DLC for Smash Bros Ultimate.

I fail to understand why your friend changed his mind about piracy when Disney acquired 21st Century Fox. It was Rupert Murdoch who wanted to sell and Disney wanted to buy. Apple could have easily bought 21st Century Fox without making a dent in its war chest of cash. Yes, having ownership of media is the definitive means of preservation but your friend seems more bitter about Disney's ever-growing influence so he's using film preservation as his scapegoat.
Tbh Disney's infamously bad about that stuff, there's a reason the term Disney Vault exists and after the buyout was done, classic FOX movies were taken out of theatres iirc

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Kid Icarus. Helps too given my love for mythology and culture Greek notably which it's based on. Wish Uprising would be ported to Switch or at least put onto the eShop.
Same here.

Anyone expecting any more at this point is setting themselves up for disappointment and Ultimate is already amazing as it is.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Tbh Disney's infamously bad about that stuff, there's a reason the term Disney Vault exists and after the buyout was done, classic FOX movies were taken out of theatres iirc
I'm absolutely in agreement that Disney acquiring 21st Century Fox was ultimately detrimental to Hollywood. A corporate merger was not required for the movie rights of Marvel characters held by 20th Century Fox to have returned to Marvel Studios. Blue Sky Studios is also an unfortunate victim of Disney's corporate meddling and their dissolution was a massive blow towards animation. I still don't see why that merger is the reason people pirate movies, most people pirate movies for the sake of financial convenience.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm absolutely in agreement that Disney acquiring 21st Century Fox was ultimately detrimental to Hollywood. A corporate merger was not required for the movie rights of Marvel characters held by 20th Century Fox to have returned to Marvel Studios. Blue Sky Studios is also an unfortunate victim of Disney's corporate meddling and their dissolution was a massive blow towards animation. I still don't see why that merger is the reason people pirate movies, most people pirate movies for the sake of financial convenience.
See it like this. Disney's infamously bad at preservation meaning they can simply take everything away as they please, Disney now owns like 40% of the film industry, meaning 40% of it is now capable of vanishing overnight if the Mouse wishes for it. That person likely changed their mind after realizing that

D

Deleted member

They really should implement a random character select like they do with stages.
I had always thought they could have had Ditto as an actual Fighter and it would simply turn into any random fighter from the roster at the beginning of the match; effectively acting as the 'Random' button when selecting someone in typical fighting games.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Xenoblade, King of Fighters and soon Bayonetta.

EDIT: I just change my pfp, and then I looked up and saw basically the exact same one, im sorry I didn't mean to copy you, I wanted to do this yesterday but was really tired.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Just another topic... what do you guys think about "no realistic firearm" argument?

View attachment 308325
View attachment 308327

ESRB site. There is no content descriptor about gun or realistic firearm.

Here is the link.

View attachment 308328

View attachment 308329

CERO website

It's same on CERO.

I guess Sakurai wasn't aware of this... or did rating board change over time? It's still amusing that people still cling on realistic gun argument.
Like hell rating board would be aware of Joker's gun is fake. Even then, UNSC guns look less realistic than Joker's gun.
And none of Halo got realistic gun under content descriptor. Why is that people are too stubborn to check these websites?
I think what Sakurai said about realistic gun back in day is like how he initially dismissed Ridley and Villager.

Just copypasting what I wrote in Master Chief thread.

Firox

Smash Master
Check it out guys, I've got a new theory. It's called "Theory Theory". The idea is that no matter how many theories we make, they're all going to be wrong and the next character will blindside most of us anyway.
I'll buy that. Ironically, this is the only reliable pattern we've seen so far....that there isn't one.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Check it out guys, I've got a new theory. It's called "Theory Theory". The idea is that no matter how many theories we make, they're all going to be wrong and the next character will blindside most of us anyway.
Speculation in shellnut.

Just another topic... what do you guys think about "no realistic firearm" argument?

View attachment 308325
View attachment 308327

Here is the link.

View attachment 308328

View attachment 308329

CERO website

It's same on CERO.

I guess Sakurai wasn't aware of this... or did rating board change over time? It's still amusing that people still cling on realistic gun argument.
Like hell rating board would be aware of Joker's gun is fake. Even then, UNSC guns look less realistic than Joker's gun.
And none of Halo got realistic gun under content descriptor. Why is that people are too stubborn to check these websites?
I think what Sakurai said about realistic gun back in day is like how he initially dismissed Ridley and Villager.

Also, wasn’t there a detail on Joker’s gun that they either removed or modified to make it look even more realistic? Or maybe I’m misremembering and people thought it was a detail that showed it was fake, when in reality real guns have it too...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Yeah, I'm gonna go with Ys as well.

STILL need to get back to VIII...

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

In Smash 4, it was Xenoblade Chronicles, though that was also because of Chuggaaconroy's Let's Play at the time.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

introduced to as in played? none, but I do want to play Banjo-Kazooie.

introduced to as in learned of their existance? quite a few. Golden Sun, Guilty Gear, Touhou, Tales, Falcom in general, and probably a couple others I can't think of.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
But if you don't expect the expected they become the unexpected, and then they're more likely!

Unless that's what they want us to think...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since the next set of amiibo haven't been announced yet, I'm assuming F10 won't be released anywhere close to them. They'd probably be closer to F11 unfortunately.

Amiibo are usually announced several months in advance, so even if we got an announcement today, we probably wouldn't be able to buy the next wave until late summer/early fall.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

View attachment 308325
View attachment 308327

Here is the link.

View attachment 308328

View attachment 308329

CERO website

It's same on CERO.

My stance on this issue is "Realistic firearms yes, realistic ballistics no". The fact that Joker's gun had its details altered to more closely resemble a real pistol really makes me think it's not the weapon itself that the issue. However, the fact that his gun also just has a muzzle flash and a quick-moving hitbox without an actual bullet to depict the attack reads to me as circumventing some kind of issue.

If my analysis is correct, that effectively means you can depict characters firing guns and characters being damaged by them, but you can't actually depict a character being shot by a (realistic) bullet. Unrealistic bullets (ex. the Super Scope's yellow orbs) or explosive bullets that aren't meant to penetrate other people (ex. Snake's Nikita or the Steel Diver's missiles) seem to be exempt.

In terms of what this means for other characters, I think characters who utilize realistic ballistics but don't exclusively use them (ex. Master Chief, Leon or Jill, CJ, etc.) most likely have the flexibility to get around this issue and therefore not have this impede a potential Smash inclusion. Meanwhile, characters who almost exclusively utilize realistic ballistics in their combat (ex. a Call of Duty character) may be too difficult or too unnatural to translate into a Smash character.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom