• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
treat it like basically a new IP but using the NES game as a base

plus seeing as they're in Smash it'll be easier then rebooting something like Clu Clu Land
Thing is, reboots and stuff aren't a magic button. What would this game be? Who would it appeal to? The fact you're dodging the question implies you have no clear answer to this either

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've been thinking up a Togepi moveset. It would be a Jigglypuff semi clone, but with radically different stats (moderately heavy, drops like a rock, only one midair jump).

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Thing is, reboots and stuff aren't a magic button. What would this game be? Who would it appeal to? The fact you're dodging the question implies you have no clear answer to this either
I mean, I know that. There are many directions you could take it. Maybe a 3D game about climbing to the top of a mountain, with a focus on exploration, and survival, and it would obviously need multiplayer.

a 3D multiplayer open world survival game about climbing a mountain. There. There's your Ice Climber reboot.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Some kind of duo-based puzzle platformer, if I had to guess. Working as a team is kind of the Ice Climbers' thing nowadays. Similarly, I think their Smash designs would lend themselves well to a Kirby-like tone (nightmarish final boss optional).

Really, though, starting with the idea of rebooting a series and then coming up with the gameplay is looking at it backwards from how it actually works at Nintendo. Not that that's an invalid way of doing it, especially if you're throwing an idea out on the internet for fun, but generally for this sort of thing Nintendo comes up with gameplay and figures out the characters to put on it later. That's how Kid Icarus Uprising happened.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, I know that. There are many directions you could take it. Maybe a 3D game about climbing to the top of a mountain, with a focus on exploration, and survival, and it would obviously need multiplayer.

a 3D multiplayer open world survival game about climbing a mountain. There. There's your Ice Climber reboot.
Would the multiplayer be mandatory? If so, I MIGHT know a company who can help with that...

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Would the multiplayer be mandatory? If so, I MIGHT know a company who can help with that...
not neccesarily, but I imagine it would be more fun with multiplayer

though out of curiousity, what is the company?
Really, though, starting with the idea of rebooting a series and then coming up with the gameplay is looking at it backwards from how it actually works at Nintendo. Not that that's an invalid way of doing it, especially if you're throwing an idea out on the internet for fun, but generally for this sort of thing Nintendo comes up with gameplay and figures out the characters to put on it later. That's how Kid Icarus Uprising happened.
I just find it fun to imagine what an old and dead series would look like as a modern one

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
not neccesarily, but I imagine it would be more fun with multiplayer

though out of curiousity, what is the company?

I just find it fun to imagine what an old and dead series would look like as a modern one
They're called Hazelight Studios. They're the guys who made A Way Out and It Takes Two, both of which have mandatory co-op as their main gimmick. Never played A Way Out, but I heard good things about it. As for It Takes Two... to be honest, I keep forgetting that game exists. Like, people are saying Balan Wonderworld is gonna bomb when it comes out on March 26 (only 4 more days!), but at least it had a demo to get people talking about it. I haven't heard ANYTHING about It Takes Two since The Game Awards...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Random idea:

you know how Joker and Sephiroth have their own unique victory screens?

I thought lately, why not GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND (TM) and have a character that replaces the “GAME!/VICTORY!” Announcement before the victory screen with something else?

one idea I can think of is Octoling replacing the aforementioned announcements with the Octo Expansion TEST PASSED! Screen fading into the OE TEST PASSED theme, complete with a random Booyah! Sound byte from the female/male Octoling, whichever version lands the final blow

another idea is a LoL character playing the LoL VICTORY! Sound clip with the little VICTORY title thing when they win

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Random idea:

you know how Joker and Sephiroth have their own unique victory screens?

I thought lately, why not GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND (TM) and have a character that replaces the “GAME!/VICTORY!” Announcement before the victory screen with something else?

one idea I can think of is Octoling replacing the aforementioned announcements with the Octo Expansion TEST PASSED! Screen fading into the OE TEST PASSED theme, complete with a random Booyah! Sound byte from the female/male Octoling, whichever version lands the final blow

another idea is a LoL character playing the LoL VICTORY! Sound clip with the little VICTORY title thing when they win
The most obvious idea is Sol, instead of saying GAME, finishing someone off with his final smash to end the match would say DESTROYED!

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Eh, it feels really selfexplanatory, people only know Ice Climbers as the duo from Smash and unlike other characters this applies to, they have nothing outside of it in terms of popularity. F Zero and Mother are cult classics, Pit was actually a pretty popular request for Smash, Star Fox used to be huge, etc. Ice Climber doesn't have this as everyone is able to recognize it's a ****ty game, so Nintendo's mindset would be "How much would people buy this potential revival if we actually made it?"
While I completely get why Nintendo does this, I really don't like it. It mostly kind of infuriates me how they refuse to double-dip in terms of genres.

"You want a new F-Zero? Cool, here's the Blue Falcon in Mario Kart, stop asking."

"You want a new Advance Wars? Why? There's plenty of Fire Emblem to go around!"

"How dare you beg for a new Golden Sun! You'll eat your Pokemon remakes and you'll like them!"

"Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi? Two critically acclaimed fan favorites that have consistently sold well, with one franchise exclusive to our home consoles and the other exclusive to our handhelds? I suppose on paper that sounds like a winning combination that pleases a multitude of our fans, but...they're both RPGs? We really can't have that."

Like, objectively I understand that they don't want one of their franchises to compete with the other. But there's got to be a better option other than letting that franchise's mascot join Smash while everything else about it just rots in the dirt, right?

Donkey Kong was almost exclusively an arcade-style series that was quickly being overshadowed by Mario and Zelda before Rare completely reimagined it. Pit was the retro rep of Brawl that fans were excited for because they saw what a great job Sakurai did bringing back the ICs, and he put so much thought and TLC into that character that his next project was a full blown sequel/reboot. Xenoblade Chronicles wasn't even supposed to be localized until fans begged Nintendo so passionately that their rallying cry got its own Wikipedia page. Fire Emblem wouldn't be the juggernaut it is today (at least outside of Japan) if it weren't for Smash.

And I think that's where I'm frustrated. Nintendo isn't even giving us the chance to show them how much we want to see older games get revived or rebooted. You say a new Ice Climber game wouldn't sell because the only thing we have to go on is a bad NES game, but that's only because Nintendo refused to give us anything else. Their inclusion in Smash put them on a lot of peoples' radar, with a design and playstyle that people really latched onto. The idea of controlling two characters at once could be a fascinating way to play a platformer. But we'll never know because if Nintendo were to experiment with that gimmick, they'd do it with Mario or Kirby.

Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon that Nintendo is working hard on creating new ips. Shulk/Pyra/Mythra, Inkling, and Min Min are all so unique in and represent successful risks that I haven't seen Nintendo take since Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin. Knowing that Splatoon was almost based around Mario characters makes me breathe a huge sigh of relief and be thankful for the timeline we're living in. It's fantastic and I really hope that they continue.

But I also wish that they'd allow developers with a vision the opportunity go all out on reviving older franchises. If nothing else, Smash has reinvigorated fan love for these forgotten characters. I know Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon will always sell on name alone, but...a 2.5D Ice Climber, an RPG-esque F-Zero, a genuine sequel to Uprising, another stab at an action/adventure Star Fox, a revival of Murasame Castle or Joy Mech Fight or Kururin or Custom Robo. Slap any of those into your summer Direct, push a marketing campaign with a bit of effort, and Nintendo fans would get hype. Put actual effort into it and make it fun? You've got a hit on your hands with both brand new and built-in audiences.

Whew...sorry, I think I had a stroke there...so much text...what were we talking about? Cowboys in Smash? I vote for Rusty, SteamWorld Dig is tragically underrated.

450_1000.jpg

SKX31

Smash Master
Nah, let it have 200 characters.

But most of them are things like Metal Mario, Baby Daisy, and Ice Luigi.
I mean, Mario Kart Tour is inching towards that with their... hmmm...

There are currently 111 playable characters (112 if including Gold Mario, who appears exclusively in the Coin Rush mode) in Mario Kart Tour, making it the Mario game with the most playable characters. 10 new characters are introduced. Upon launching the game for the first time, players start with either Toad, Toadette, or Peachette.[20] After the tutorial they are granted a free pipe launch which grants either Peach, Bowser, Metal Mario,[21] or Dry Bowser.[22] Unlike other Mario Kart games, characters are sorted by their rarity of unlocking them, via opening up randomized green or gold pipes with rubies. There are three tiers of rarity: Normal, Super, and High-End. While the Normal characters are easier to unlock, rarer characters have a greater amount of starting points and have more favored and favorite courses.
Yeah, the road to 200 Mario Kart characters is probably Microtransaction Hell (TM). Bonus point for being the Mario game where one (most of the time) doesn't start with the ****ing title character unlocked from the get go.

And you're not far off when MKT has the Instant Classic known as Luigi Lederhosen.

Somewhere out there, Wario's wondering why he didn't get the Lederhosen when he was originally given a German accent.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
idk I'm willing to bet very many people first heard of F-Zero and Mother through Smash before playing the original games, as well as many of the games represented that don't have a fighter.

I know those series were also popular on their own somewhat, but personally Smash was my first experience of them, leading to me being a Mother fan as well as Pikmin and others.

Now, I know they could just slap Mario on a new idea and it'll sell well, but they could do that for basically anything (and seemingly nearly did for Splatoon). Thinking that way just assumes they'll never try anything new, which isn't what they do (even if it sometimes feels like that until boom, something new). Most people may only know the Ice Climbers from Smash, but they are popular with a decent amount of people loving them and some people even liking their original game (yes the jumping isn't the best but it's not that bad although it does get hard early on but it's still fun to try every now and then).

They could make a cool action/adventure/puzzle game focused on exploring and climbing an arctic area and platforming up icy mountains, maybe even have survival elements idk. They can make it pretty distinct from 3D World and other Mario games, Donkey Kong games or Kirby games etc. if they have a good idea, and I'm sure it'll get decent sales if made well, given a good marketing push, and get the Ice Climber fans from Smash.

Maybe add in some story, new characters, an arctic village, have Popo & Nana as the main characters, their goal being to become the best glacier/icy mountain climbers; maybe a new villain based on those pterodactyl things; y'know. Could be 2D/2.5D or 3D.

Of course this would very likely not happen, maybe never, since Nintendo doesn't seem to revisit things unless they get a cool new idea themselves that they have faith in (sometimes still failing anyway (please bring back Chibi-Robo and not in a completely different genre this time pls Nintendo COME ON PLEASE-)), but still I think it'd be AWESOME if they did a cool Ice Climber revival like they did Kid Icarus which only had the NES game and GB game at the time (so they seemingly are willing to do revivals sometimes, just rarely unfortunately...).

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The downside is always that another, better, character doesn't get in instead.

And one of the worst controlling...
I don't know, the controls were good for me.

The most obvious idea is Sol, instead of saying GAME, finishing someone off with his final smash to end the match would say DESTROYED!
I think I've literally suggested this for Sol back then. That would be super cool. If he ever gets in they better do this

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
remember when people wanted Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario in smash? I remember seeing a lot of interesting ideas about it but rarely anyone ever mentioned about having clown cart
The Shadow Mario idea was super popular, but my thoughts for :ultbowserjr: pre-Smash 4 was for a fast character who used the paintbrush for his normals and specials inspired by his NSMB boss fights. Never expected the clown car but I love it, clever way of giving us a mech fighter.

Kinda funny how he's in that thing pretty much every game he shows up in nowadays - I wonder if that's inspired by his Smash appearance or Sakurai was given the heads up that they were taking that direction with the character?

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The Shadow Mario idea was super popular, but my thoughts for :ultbowserjr: pre-Smash 4 was for a fast character who used the paintbrush for his normals and specials inspired by his NSMB boss fights. Never expected the clown car but I love it, clever way of giving us a mech fighter.

Kinda funny how he's in that thing pretty much every game he shows up in nowadays - I wonder if that's inspired by his Smash appearance or Sakurai was given the heads up that they were taking that direction with the character?
Who's to say? Though for what it's worth, Smash is apparently known for influencing the games that get involved in it...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Who's to say? Though for what it's worth, Smash is apparently known for influencing the games that get involved in it...
It's definitely a Smash thing. Bowser Jr. didn't use his clown car in Mario Tennis until after Smash depicted him in it, and the Koopa Clown was added alongside Junior in MK8 Deluxe with the Koopalings getting it recolored to match their Smash alts.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
It's definitely a Smash thing. Bowser Jr. didn't use his clown car in Mario Tennis until after Smash depicted him in it, and the Koopa Clown was added alongside Junior in MK8 Deluxe with the Koopalings getting it recolored to match their Smash alts.
Bowser Jr.’s association with the Junior Clown Car began moreso with his boss fights in NSMBWii and NSMBU, though. NSMBU was also the first appearance of the Clown Car’s boxing glove arms. Tennis Aces does use the Clown Car’s wheels attachment, which is based on a kart in MK7 but wasn’t a transforming feature of the regular Jr. Clown Car until Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Bowser Jr.’s association with the Junior Clown Car began moreso with his boss fights in NSMBWii and NSMBU, though. NSMBU was also the first appearance of the Clown Car’s boxing glove arms. Tennis Aces does use the Clown Car’s wheels attachment, which is based on a kart in MK7 but wasn’t a transforming feature of the regular Jr. Clown Car until Smash.
Honestly this is so hilarious in hindsight, everyone insisted Bowser Jr. Would use the paintbrush used in his debut but Sakurai blindsided everyone with using the **** he uses in damn near everything else. Must have been some impressive paintbrush I guess

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly this is so hilarious in hindsight, everyone insisted Bowser Jr. Would use the paintbrush used in his debut but Sakurai blindsided everyone with using the **** he uses in damn near everything else. Must have been some impressive paintbrush I guess
I mean, Sunshine was his debut game. Probably left a bit of an impression back then. That, or they didn't know how to make a flying vehicle work in the context of Smash. I wasn't around for that so I'm mostly just theorizing here.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
While I completely get why Nintendo does this, I really don't like it. It mostly kind of infuriates me how they refuse to double-dip in terms of genres.

"You want a new F-Zero? Cool, here's the Blue Falcon in Mario Kart, stop asking."

"You want a new Advance Wars? Why? There's plenty of Fire Emblem to go around!"

"How dare you beg for a new Golden Sun! You'll eat your Pokemon remakes and you'll like them!"

"Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi? Two critically acclaimed fan favorites that have consistently sold well, with one franchise exclusive to our home consoles and the other exclusive to our handhelds? I suppose on paper that sounds like a winning combination that pleases a multitude of our fans, but...they're both RPGs? We really can't have that."
When you realize Nintendo is the epitome of the "Mommy I want a new F-Zero", "We have F-Zero at home", "F-Zero at home" meme..

The irony goes even further when you realize that even in Sunshine itself Junior used a mech to battle Mario, twice...

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Nintendo needs more studios or something. It’s sad how many IPs they have that are sitting around, especially in times like 2020 & seemingly this year where they’re relying heavily on ports.

Poor Donkey Kong hasn’t seen a new game in 7 years despite that being Nintendo’s 5th (I think) biggest series. What hope does F-Zero & especially Ice Climbers have?

Hell, we haven’t seen a new MARIO KART in just as long because that team’s been working on Splatoon (I think).

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, Sunshine was his debut game. Probably left a bit of an impression back then. That, or they didn't know how to make a flying vehicle work in the context of Smash. I wasn't around for that so I'm mostly just theorizing here.
This is mostly what it was. Back then people didn't ignore the Jr. Clown Car connection. They just didn't think Bowser Jr. would be a mech fighter, and instead mostly designated the Clown Car to an up special. That's how my moveset for Jr. was, back in the day.

Honestly what's weirder is that he only spits fire in a taunt and not in any attacks.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Nintendo needs more studios or something. It’s sad how many IPs they have that are sitting around, especially in times like 2020 & seemingly this year where they’re relying heavily on ports.

Poor Donkey Kong hasn’t seen a new game in 7 years despite that being Nintendo’s 5th (I think) biggest series. What hope does F-Zero & especially Ice Climbers have?

Hell, we haven’t seen a new MARIO KART in just as long because that team’s been working on Splatoon (I think).
Well, for better or worse, Nintendo HAS begun adapting some modern game trends. Granted, they still seem to be a bit reluctant to buy other companies, but stuff like Monolith Soft and Next Level Games shows that they're at least willing to if it benefits them.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Here's a theory for y'all that I've been thinking on: Roster Diversity. I'm curious to see if this will ever be proven wrong.

Basically, ever since they started introducing newcomers one by one in Brawl, Nintendo has been very consistent on giving us characters that are different in terms of genre, appearance, ability, etc. when compared to the character that preceded them. Occasionally they will have characters from similar genres side by side, but, interestingly, it has never been more than two.

64 and Melee were obviously different in how they showed off their characters (they were just in commercials and the intros to both games if I remember correctly), but even then the one exception to this theory has been the Ice Climbers being confirmed after Peach and Bowser, but obviously they still differ visually. Maybe you could argue that having Shulk announced right after Robin and Lucina is a point against this theory, but I don't really see it that way due to Lucina being an echo and being announced at the same time as Robin.

If you don't believe me, you can just look for yourself at the roster:

2021032212154700-0E7DF678130F4F0FA2C88AE72B47AFDF.jpg

The reason for this is probably obvious. Nintendo doesn't want you to get bored. They want to give us varied and interesting characters as much as they possibly can.

What can we do with this information? Well for starters, I think it's almost a guarantee that another JRPG character will not be next. It's perhaps even possible that we won't see a character like Dragonborn given he would be another sword user with magic (I'm not certain that Pythra actually uses magic, but it looks like magic anyway).

Not 100% certain on this of course. I just think it's worth keeping in mind.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Well, for better or worse, Nintendo HAS begun adapting some modern game trends. Granted, they still seem to be a bit reluctant to buy other companies, but stuff like Monolith Soft and Next Level Games shows that they're at least willing to if it benefits them.
(Also, Nintendo have also begun to transition their Chinese arm - iQue - into a supporting development team for EPD, so there's that too.)

I do think they'll need to continue buying at least a couple other corps since Nintendo's whole deal is that they want to sell their games on their consoles with a heavy focus on quality and exclusivity. Especially considering they've had noticeable release droughts in recent memory (last year post-New Horizons as an example). Now they might not be fully able to compete with the sheer number of offerings that PS Store / Xbox Game Pass / Steam / EGS offer, but having more studios and thus more games to help cover more bases and IPs is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah. Though to be fair I'd say this problem happens with most companies, if not all of them.

Capcom has a rich library of IPs that from time to time they use but not much more. Similar case with Sega, though they've been giving more attention to some of their classic IPs in the past years (Streets of Rage, Sakura Wars, Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd...). Same with Sony or Square, and I think I don't have to mention Konami.

But yeah. Nintendo would totally benefit from having more studios, assuming these studios would have some freedom to make either new IPs or bring back some old Nintendo series that usually, wouldn't be a priority for their main studios.

Donkey Kong is a clear example of this. Is a big, popular and recognizable IP that always makes good numbers. Other companies would have released a new DKC at this point, I'm pretty much sure of that.

All of this is also the reason I was kinda surprised by Splatoon 3. Not because it exists, which was a matter of time, but to me it was earlier than I expected. I figured the devs behind Splatoon would make another game before going with Splatoon 3.
This is also why I was disappointed with the new Mario Golf game. Nothing against those games, I know they're popular and a safe investment, but for some time it seemed that maybe Cameloft was actually doing something with Golden Sun, and here we are.

I know this isn't really how it works but at the same time, not gonna lie, sometimes I feel kinda tired of getting Mario spin-off #674 when with these resources we could see new games for Golden Sun, Kid Icarus, DK, F-Zero, Advance Wars, Star Fox and other Nintendo franchises.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah. Though to be fair I'd say this problem happens with most companies, if not all of them.

Capcom has a rich library of IPs that from time to time they use but not much more. Similar case with Sega, though they've been giving more attention to some of their classic IPs in the past years (Streets of Rage, Sakura Wars, Panzer Dragoon, Alex Kidd...). Same with Sony or Square, and I think I don't have to mention Konami.

But yeah. Nintendo would totally benefit from having more studios, assuming these studios would have some freedom to make either new IPs or bring back some old Nintendo series that usually, wouldn't be a priority for their main studios.

Donkey Kong is a clear example of this. Is a big, popular and recognizable IP that always makes good numbers. Other companies would have released a new DKC at this point, I'm pretty much sure of that.

All of this is also the reason I was kinda surprised by Splatoon 3. Not because it exists, which was a matter of time, but to me it was earlier than I expected. I figured the devs behind Splatoon would make another game before going with Splatoon 3.
This is also why I was disappointed with the new Mario Golf game. Nothing against those games, I know they're popular and a safe investment, but for some time it seemed that maybe Cameloft was actually doing something with Golden Sun, and here we are.

I know this isn't really how it works but at the same time, not gonna lie, sometimes I feel kinda tired of getting Mario spin-off #674 when with these resources we could see new games for Golden Sun, Kid Icarus, DK, F-Zero, Advance Wars, Star Fox and other Nintendo franchises.
If anything I expected Splatoon 3 to be on the next console... which given some rumors that lend to a Switch Pro/Super Switch the latter is a MUCH better sounding name imo I think Splatoon 3 may be Super Switch exclusive or at least have better performance on the super switch

I’m at this rate thinking BOTW2 is Super Switch exclusive too... maybe even MK9 and/or a Xenoblade X port...

the rumors in question

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Splatoon is handled by the team behind Animal Crossing, which is EPD Group 5. Mario Kart is done by Group 9.
Ah gotcha, thanks for the clarification. That’s another issue with Nintendo. I wish the teams had more unique names so it’s easier to remember who to credit for certain games/series. Though, I imagine Nintendo just wants us all to thank the Nintendo name/brand for said games.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
according to this reddit post... (https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/c1goxn/how_the_nintendo_development_division_is/)

EPD Group 1/2: External Help (they help IS and HAL and groups like that)
EPD Group 3: Zelda guys
EPD Group 4: Weird side games (RFA, Labo, that kinda stuff)
EPD Group 5: Splatoon/Animal Crossing guys
EPD Group 6: External Help
EPD Group 7: Misc. (Tomodachi life, Rythtym Heaven, they helped with Metroid, really incosistent)
EPD Group 8: 3D Mario Guys
EPD Group 9: Mario Kart and ARMS guys
EPD Group 10: 2D Mario/Pikmin guys
EPD Group 11: Mobile Game help

There are also a few external first party studios, both in game development (Monolith, Retro, NLG) and support (NERD, 1-UP Studio, also Monolith)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom