• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Question is then, why would Nintendo slap the Ice Climber ip on it when Mario would make it sell ten times better?

If the next Mario Kart were to knick F-Zero's identity and focus on SUPER SPEED, I guarantee you the game would sell better by calling it Mario Kart than F-Zero, the Mario name carries a TON of weight to it, and even if the game was effectively F-Zero, the Mario name would make it sell way better than calling it F-Zero would.
I wonder if Splatoon would sell better if it was with Mario characters like they initially planned.

I want to say no but... it's Mario.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Honestly I'm kinda surprised nobody has tried reviving Ice Climbers yet. They are fairly recognizable at this stage and I don't think anything particularly new or game-changing is even needed. Have the gameplay consist of them climbing various distinct areas, mixing platforming with puzzle solving using two characters Popo and Nana (maybe with a locked-not locked to each other option). Maybe some type of versus mode as well and voila, a decent basis for a new game is there.
Nintendo has created so many new Franchises I feel some of them shouldn’t be necessary to exist and could easily revive old franchise instead to explore more ideas to introduce instead of creating a new franchise and left the old franchise to die off.
I can give an example instead of creating Arms they could had revived Joy mech fight and introduce the new idea there which would work completely fine

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Question is then, why would Nintendo slap the Ice Climber ip on it when Mario would make it sell ten times better?
Of course they wouldn't and personally, I picture a new Ice Climbers still being 2D (or 2.5D) so not exactly in the vein of 3D World.

But who's to say an outsourced developer couldn't do it or take inspiration from other games? I just feel Ice Climber has potential without the need to change its formula around too much.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I wonder if Splatoon would sell better if it was with Mario characters like they initially planned.

I feel like Splatoon was very lucky in that it hit an aesthetic and style that appealed to a lot of people. Also, a completely untapped market for a Nintendo audience.

Likewise, F-Zero will always have to live in Mario Kart's shadow. Sure, they appeal to different audiences, but one is vastly more popular than the other, for example.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman

Another one I've heard, was that Mario and Punch Out were considered during the early days of Arms' development. I know Arms wasn't a mega-hit like Splatoon, but it's nice to see Nintendo creating new universes and IPs.

...and give love to older forgotten ones. I can remember the amount of love put into the marketing Kid Icarus: Uprising - it had anime shorts, it's own AR card set, a heavy presence in Smash 4. Honestly felt like the re-launch of the series as a big Nintendo IP - but then after all that, it was just a one-and-done situation, such a massive shame.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

You open the pandora's box with these hypotheticals. It could easily have devolved into "why did they make a Sunshine spin off instead of making Sunshine HD/2 or an actual good (insert current existing spin off here)?"

If something like this didn't stand well on its own, then it could have just as easily been swept under the rug as forgettable if it had the bigger brand holding it up. You get different results for just about any little wrinkle.

My immediate thought goes to Mario & Rabbids era "but why Rabbids/XCOM-lite/why did this need to be a thing?" mentality before those that wound up giving it a shot were pleasantly surprised for a number of reasons, many of which likely wouldn't have given it the time of day if not for some familiarity at the entrypoint.

Thinking on it for more than a second may pass the time, but ultimately is about as productive as any of the usual distractions. Star Fox Grand Prix clearly would've sold better than Mario Kart whatever

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you want an example of slapping "the brand" onto things to help them sell well, just look at stuff like Pokemon.

Most people probably don't even know "Mystery Dungeon" is its own thing and Pokemon was added onto that, at least I didn't.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Another one I've heard, was that Mario and Punch Out were considered during the early days of Arms' development. I know Arms wasn't a mega-hit like Splatoon, but it's nice to see Nintendo creating new universes and IPs.

...and give love to older forgotten ones. I can remember the amount of love put into the marketing Kid Icarus: Uprising - it had anime shorts, it's own AR card set, a heavy presence in Smash 4. Honestly felt like the re-launch of the series as a big Nintendo IP - but then after all that, it was just a one-and-done situation, such a massive shame.
I remember both Yoshi and Link would've been considered for ARMS, Yoshi used his tongue and Link had his Hookshot.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Would it be weird if Ryu was given the same treatment as Hero and end up having Akuma and Sean and Dan as his alt? But different final smashes and hadouken color

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would it be weird if Ryu was given the same treatment as Hero and end up having Akuma and Sean and Dan as his alt? But different final smashes and hadouken color
Yes. All of the shotos are different enough that it would be somewhat jarring.

I mean look at Ken, he almost isn't an echo.

I guess another way to put it would be making Luigi a Mario alt. Its plausible but lame and less fun.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yes.

Because Akuma, Sean, and Dan fight absolutely nothing like Ryu.

They are, in fact, way more different than even Ken is to Ryu, so them being alts would make even less sense.

D

Deleted member

Maybe it was brought up earlier, but now that Pikmin 3 Deluxe is the best-selling entry in the Pikmin series, it's even more of a shame that :ultalph: isn't promoted as an :ultolimar: Echo at least.

There was so many possibilities to tweak his moveset from his model, like the Rock Pikmin replacing of the Purple Pikmin, or even a randomized Pikmin Pluck.

I once made a post on the Smash Reddit where I added more details on how I'd update their moveset.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe it was brought up earlier, but now that Pikmin 3 Deluxe is the best-selling entry in the Pikmin series, it's even more of a shame that :ultalph: isn't promoted as an :ultolimar: Echo at least.

There was so many possibilities to tweak his moveset from his model, like the Rock Pikmin replacing of the Purple Pikmin, or even a randomized Pikmin Pluck.

I once made a post on the Smash Reddit where I added more details on how I'd update their moveset.
Well, this could be interesting-

Olimar can now have up to 5 Pikmin at a time.
:toadnaani:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
My moveset gripe is on someone who already has a unique one lol.

Pyra and Mythra have these beautiful acrobatic and flowing animations while their older brother Shulk is still very much confused about how to wield a sword and more importantly, how to use his actual Monado arts.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

i don't really mind that alph is an echo. sure, it makes no sense that he's only a mere alt, but do you really want double the chance of getting the olimar moveset when selecting random?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Welp, since you mentioned Boom Knuckles, I am legally obligated to remind everybody of one of the funniest scenes in the entire franchise.

T-this was truly amazing! Am impressed!

Knuckles was already my choice as a Sonic newcomer if I had to choose one, now it's solidified.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly I'm kinda surprised nobody has tried reviving Ice Climbers yet. They are fairly recognizable at this stage and I don't think anything particularly new or game-changing is even needed. Have the gameplay consist of them climbing various distinct areas, mixing platforming with puzzle solving using two characters Popo and Nana (maybe with a locked-not locked to each other option). Maybe some type of versus mode as well and voila, a decent basis for a new game is there.
Eh, it feels really selfexplanatory, people only know Ice Climbers as the duo from Smash and unlike other characters this applies to, they have nothing outside of it in terms of popularity. F Zero and Mother are cult classics, Pit was actually a pretty popular request for Smash, Star Fox used to be huge, etc. Ice Climber doesn't have this as everyone is able to recognize it's a ****ty game, so Nintendo's mindset would be "How much would people buy this potential revival if we actually made it?"

Staarih

Smash Master
Eh, it feels really selfexplanatory, people only know Ice Climbers as the duo from Smash and unlike other characters this applies to, they have nothing outside of it in terms of popularity. F Zero and Mother are cult classics, Pit was actually a pretty popular request for Smash, Star Fox used to be huge, etc. Ice Climber doesn't have this as everyone is able to recognize it's a ****ty game, so Nintendo's mindset would be "How much would people buy this potential revival if we actually made it?"
Yeah, that's probably it. I feel a new game would be worth the try but maybe that's just me. IC's really are a weird case in that they are a one-off retro pick with very little impact (other than being a pair character which is why they were chosen iirc), which is probably why I'd like to see some experimentation tried with them today. Like, I don't see any future releases happening regarding ROB or Duck Hunt for example, but they were at least noteworthy back in the days.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
This is totally not because of something that I saw on Twitter but if you guys were told that Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2 would be in Smash would you believe it?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
This is totally not because of something that I saw on Twitter but if you guys were told that Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2 would be in Smash would you believe it?
No.

However If you're talking hypothetically like your future self came back through time and told you that Arthur Morgan is coming then yeah, at this point in Smash, I'd probably believe it.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

If the next Mario Kart were to knick F-Zero's identity and focus on SUPER SPEED, I guarantee you the game would sell better by calling it Mario Kart than F-Zero, the Mario name carries a TON of weight to it, and even if the game was effectively F-Zero, the Mario name would make it sell way better than calling it F-Zero would.
to give the Ice Climber name more weight to it?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly I'm kinda surprised nobody has tried reviving Ice Climbers yet. They are fairly recognizable at this stage and I don't think anything particularly new or game-changing is even needed. Have the gameplay consist of them climbing various distinct areas, mixing platforming with puzzle solving using two characters Popo and Nana (maybe with a locked-unlocked to each other option). Maybe some type of versus mode as well and voila, a decent basis for a new game is there.
The same could be said for many NES and SNES classics.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
to give the Ice Climber name more weight to it?
Reminds me of Star Fox Guard. It was just an untitled turret shooter, then they slapped the Star Fox name onto it. Should have made it Mario star turret or something so it'd sell better.

Staarih

Smash Master
The same could be said for many NES and SNES classics.
Sure. Though many of those classics have gone and gained new games, and those that haven't... well, have just not really been seen since. IC's have the upper hand of being more recognizable and somewhat "recent" because of Smash and I feel like that could be utilized or taken advantage of more, maybe trying out a new game for them. But maybe it's just not worth it and they're rather kept as a token of the past.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

5060894E-79F3-41AE-8AFC-26850BBF0E4C.jpeg

Brittany is best girl and no one can convince me otherwise!

SKX31

Smash Master
Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which is why the next Kart game should be Super Smash Karts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom