• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
People say that Rex is deconfirmed due to being a Mii Costume that only came to be because of poor timing (a hurdle ARMS could overcome no problem), yet still think that Assist Trophies can be fighters even though most of them were planned to be Assist Trophies from the beginning.

I really need to stay off this thread.
I mean, Min Min was neither an Assist Trophy nor a Mii Costume. Sakurai said that his other consideration was Ninjara, who was likewise neither an Assist Trophy nor a Mii Costume.
The mascots, Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, were both Mii Costumes, and Spring Man was an Assist Trophy.
Sakurai also mentioned that Rex was his next pick for a playable character, which would imply that he should have been DLC like Piranha Plant.
Though I would love to be proven wrong, circumstantial evidence seems to support the idea that Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes are, indeed, deconfirmations.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Anyway, let's bring back the age-old discussion:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Between Dragalia Lost, Rhythm Heaven, and Advance Wars, which first-party franchise currently without a fighter do you want to see get a fighter?

(P.S. I was pleasently surprised to see Dragalia Lost winning)
Advance Wars is last? What the heck? That's just bad taste man.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that Euden is unlikely, because it would be weird to promote a game that is outright illegal in certain parts of the world.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think that Euden is unlikely, because it would be weird to promote a game that is outright illegal in certain parts of the world.
This is true. Now if they had a Switch Dragalia Lost game already in production ,that won't be a problem, but at the moment it's not a thing

And with Granblue, Fantasy Versus can be played by anyone, but that game is only on PC and PS4, no Switch

That depends on if you are only counting characters or not.
Just in general, No characters doesn't have to be included

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
And with Granblue, Fantasy Versus can be played by anyone, but that game is only on PC and PS4, no Switch
I mean Sakurai can just pulled out the obligatory "Don't be a lazy poopyhead and play it on this device instead of asking for a Switch port" type of thing.

Anyway, is everyone still holding for Katalina to be the series rep just because of the leak or Gran/Djeeta cause they're basically the main character?
:013:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
here are some sales numbers for Rhythm heaven

2006GBARhythm Tengoku0.22
2008NDSRhythm Heaven3.04
2011WiiRhythm Heaven Fever0.89*
20153DSRhythm Heaven Megamix1.00

there are a few things to note here

1 Rhythm Heaven Megamix came out WW a the year after it released in japan
2 Tengoku is exclusive to Japan
3 Megamix is digital only outside of Europe and Japan
4 Europe is a surprisingly strong market for Rhythm Heaven
5 Fever was a post 2010 Wii game so abysmal sales are to be expected
6 A switch entry would do 5mil unless it really sucks and no growth is achieved
7 the games are cheaper to produce so none of them were big failures relatively
8 As of April 2020 there was no new game in production, at least no production with Tsunku but he is the main person behind the series so I doubt Nintendo would work without him
9 Visibility for the serious has increased tremendously since Megamix
10 Dev cycle isn't too long for the game
11 A smash bros character could do wonders for a potential new entry coming soon
12 The series has had a Smash character who was scrapped from the game in the end

im going to ask what are the chances for a RH rep based on all of this?

I personally think if we are going to get a new 1st party franchise for characters it would be Rhythm Heaven.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean Sakurai can just pulled out the obligatory "Don't be a lazy poopyhead and play it on this device instead of asking for a Switch port" type of thing.

Anyway, is everyone still holding for Katalina to be the series rep just because of the leak or Gran/Djeeta cause they're basically the main character?
:013:
While Katalina would be Cool (Pun intended), I imagine the Granblue Character would be Gran/Djeeta instead. I think the main thing in their favor is that they would have a class change system, well at least from what I hear.

Sakurai did talk about how he did want to Implement a character that could change Jobs or Classes, or something like that.

Plus I Belueev Gran is the Main Character anyway, and Djeeta is his Sister, and can reasonably be an alt as well

Shroob

Sup?
While Katalina would be Cool (Pun intended), I imagine the Granblue Character would be Gran/Djeeta instead. I think the main thing in their favor is that they would have a class change system, well at least from what I hear.

Sakurai did talk about how he did want to Implement a character that could change Jobs or Classes, or something like that.

Plus I Belueev Gran is the Main Character anyway, and Djeeta is his Sister, and can reasonably be an alt as well
Nah, Djeeta's not his sister, but they would work as an alt. It's a Male/Female Byleth deal. One's the male playable character, one's the female playable character. For all intents and purposes, the two can't exist at the same time since they're the same person, different gender effectively, much how like Male/Female Byleth have different names than one another in Japan to denote they're different, but also the same.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Gran is the Main Character anyway, and Djeeta is his Sister
Actually, from my experience. They basically embark on the same adventure but in different timeline evidence with both gender recruited the same character and the fact that Lyria, the girl in the white dress, is as dependent and clingy to both of them and both having the same pet dragon.

Not related but I really really don't want their moveset and spirit board all pulled from Versus, cause in the mobile game they have so much to work with and for Spirits they could have gang that you recruit in the story mode that is someone other than Katalina, Lyria and Vyrn which they also be a spirit and also the 2 of the remaining 4 Knights that isn't just Lancelot and Percival which is Seigfried and Vane. I'm not saying Metera, Ladiva, Narmaya or Ferris is unnecessary but most of them barely have anything to do or connected to the story as they are just character that you could get by rolling a Gacha. Except for the ones that I didn't mentioned.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Thanks for the Correction of Gran and Djeeta not being Brothers/Sisters, but the same character genderbent from each other in other Timeline.

In any case, I do think there is good merit to be made for Granblue and/or Dragalia Lost to get a Playable character in Smash. Their Biggest Drawbacks is that they don't have the most Nintendo history (on Nintendo Consoles), and their main games are Mobile Gacha games that are currently banned in Europe I Believe.

At least with Granblue though, they have made Console Apperances, but the same can not be said for Dragalia Lost. I will say that the Japanese Audience would probably be down also, and Nintendo and Cygames relationship improves further.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
...you do realize that FighterZ and Smash don't have the same people making those calls right?
I honestly doubt the same guys making the calls with FighterZ are also making the calls with Smash.
The whole company deserves to suffer for ruining DBFZ.

I mean, the base roster itself nailed most of the requests on the head.
Right. The base roster that ArcSys got to pick, before BN realized they had a megahit on their hands and made the DLC for the game the same trash they've done for all their other DB games.

But, let me go ahead and prove you wrong real quick.
All that proves is that the DB fans are just as terrible as BN.

Also notice that they added all the Gokus on that list, and more, while leaving off half of that actually cool picks on there.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
and their main games are Mobile Gacha games that are currently banned in Europe I Believe.
I think that isn't a drawback, well at least for Granblue cause their console game literally available in all region and having a console game already been put on display worldwide and dare I say pulled more fans into the mobile game than the mobile game itself.
The **** happen with DBFZ?? Is it because the roster is mostly from DB Super? And what's with the DLC??

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think that isn't a drawback, well at least for Granblue cause their console game literally available in all region and having a console game already been put on display worldwide and dare I say pulled more fans into the mobile game than the mobile game itself.

The **** happen with DBFZ?? Is it because the roster is mostly from DB Super?
I mean, issue is, the game isn't 'technically' available to download in English, and by that I mean the mobile game. Yes, it has a fully, 100% working translation, but you literally cannot download it off the Play Store/iOS store since it's considered a Japan-only app.

Would be a bit weird to basically go, "Hey, if you wanna know more about this character...go play their spin off game, sorry you'd have to jump through several hoops to play their actual game."

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

Right. The base roster that ArcSys got to pick, before BN realized they had a megahit on their hands and made the DLC for the game the same trash they've done for all their other DB games.
i don't know much about DBFZ or just DB in general so do you mind if I asked how they messed it up?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The **** happen with DBFZ?? Is it because the roster is mostly from DB Super? And what's with the DLC??
No. It's because there's like 8 Gokus, 6 Vegetas, and a bunch of crappy non-canon movie/GT characters. And this makes up about 3 quarters of the DLC characters.

For a game that started out amazing, it now has one of the worst rosters in fighting games after 3 seasons of DLC.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So it's Street Fighter.
No. Street Fighter has 6 people LIKE Ryu. But never has more than 2 actual Ryus.

Goku is literally in DBFZ 5 times on his own, and 3 times fused with Vegeta(and 2 more times kinda, but not really, with Goku Black and Bardock).

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
No. Street Fighter has 6 people LIKE Ryu. But never has more than 2 actual Ryus.

Goku is seriously in DBFZ 6 times on his own, and 3 times fused with Vegeta
well I can see why that would suck, imagine just getting 3 different versions of Mario for the rest of FP2, oh wait that's just MK8

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Would be a bit weird to basically go, "Hey, if you wanna know more about this character...go play their spin off game, sorry you'd have to jump through several hoops to play their actual game."
It's not really weird when the game is practically still available and fully translated and it's not really hurting anyone if you start with the spin-offs first when one of which is going to adapt the mobile game's story which is Relink, right? and the phrasing "sorry you'd have to jump through several hoops to play their actual game" is so unnecessarily rude that the message is twisted as if you have to dig it deep in the internet or just sit there and suck it up.
Goku is seriously in DBFZ 6 times on his own, and 3 times fused with Vegeta
Isn't it obvious, almost all of the major character in Dragonball that could fight and isn't a Saiyan is already in as a roster, even Videl. :4pacman: Even then, Goku and his Supersaiyan/fusion/look-alike basically just there to fill the slots because they're Goku and everyone that looked like Goku is a living money printer because how iconic he is. And it wouldn't help that much if the rest of the roster is filled with one-off movie villain which some have made their way there
which provide different fighting style:4pacman:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
No. It's because there's like 8 Gokus, 6 Vegetas, and a bunch of crappy non-canon movie/GT characters. And this makes up about 3 quarters of the DLC characters.

For a game that started out amazing, it now has one of the worst rosters in fighting games after 3 seasons of DLC.
To be Fair, it's just giving want the Fans want

Us Dragon Ball Fans wanted Characters like Broly, Vegito, Gogeta, Ultra Instinct Goku, Kid Goku (though I Imagine more wanted OG Kid Goku instead of Kid GT Goku), Cooler, Janemba, SSJ4 Gogeta, Baby Vegeta, etc. The Japanesse in particular wanted the Base forms of Goku and Vegeta. You still see many requests for Characters like Majin Vegeta and Omega Shenron

Honestly, Namco and Arc Systems are actually doing the best job in giving what the fans want. Your issue should honestly be with the Fanbase, and also the Source Material since Goku and Vegeta have so many moves to make many movesets with, compared to to other characters.

Also Personally I don't know the big issue with Non-Canon Characters. FighterZ is a Non-Canon game after all

Shroob

Sup?
It's not really weird when the game is practically still available and fully translated and it's not really hurting anyone if you start with the spin-offs first when one of which is going to adapt the mobile game's story which is Relink, right? and the phrasing "sorry you'd have to jump through several hoops to play their actual game" is so unnecessarily rude that the message is twisted as if you have to dig it deep in the internet or just sit there and suck it up.
Relink doesn't even come out until 2022 according to the stream.

And by "Several hoops", I'm pretty confident that Sakurai's not gonna roll up promoting Nord VPN as an easy way to download the game, or QuoApp.

I've been playing the game for 5 years now, it's a guilty pleasure of mine, and as much as I'd like it to be in Smash, and hell, I see the thin connection due to Cygame's business relationship with Nintendo, no chance in hell it'd happen. The only reason it's even brought up in Smash speculation is due to a leaker who was flat out wrong, that's it really.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So it's Budokai but 2D.
Exactly. The difference is that DBFZ looks and plays amazing and doesn't deserve to be saddled with mediocre arena fighter roster.

Especially when so many unique and interesting characters are getting skipped over so they can have 10 Gokus.

To be Fair, it's just giving want the Fans want
I would argue that they're catering specifically to the fanbase they themselves cultivated with their *****y arena fighters. But DBFZ was originnally supposed to appeal to a different type of crowd.

But once it became a huge success, yeah, now they're just trying to pull in the Xenoverse fans.

Honestly, Namco and Arc Systems are actually doing the best job in giving what the fans want. Your issue should honestly be with the Fanbase
Honestly, I can do both. I can blame the fanbase for sucking, and I can blame the company for being artistically bankrupt and just chasing the cash.

Also Personally I don't know the big issue with Non-Canon Characters.
Personal pet peeve. Especially when, again, they come at the expense of cool canon characters.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
And by "Several hoops", I'm pretty confident that Sakurai's not gonna roll up promoting Nord VPN as an easy way to download the game, or QuoApp.
I mean asking and promoting VPN and Quoapp is not something Sakurai would do, I could see him saying something along the lines of vaguely encourage the fans to play it in any possible way (not by mentioning certain apps by name) with a sprinkle of gag and laughter and go play the ones in the console instead since it isn't a sin to play the spin-off first. and I know that Relink isn't coming out until 2022 but I'm just pointing something out that as an 'if" factor.

and also "no chance in hell it'd happen" is false as if it's necessary to have the game be available everywhere and everyone need a guide to download it like some sort of baby, and that isn't even the worse when there is already a character in the roster who needs a peripheral to play them on an old console.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean asking and promoting VPN and Quoapp is not something Sakurai would do, I could see him saying something along the lines of vaguely encourage the fans to play it in any possible way (not by mentioning certain apps by name) with a sprinkle of gag and laughter and go play the ones in the console instead since it isn't a sin to play the spin-off first. and I know that Relink isn't coming out until 2022 but I'm just pointing something out that as an 'if" factor.

and also "no chance in hell it'd happen" is false as if it's necessary to have the game be available everywhere and everyone need a guide to download it like some sort of baby, and that isn't even the worse when there is already a character in the roster who needs a peripheral to play them on an old console.
"No chance in hell it'd happen" is just my opinion on it, lol. Ya don't need to start poppin' off there.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I would say that Dark Souls has been the most impactful Japanese series created in the last decade.

I'm not saying we'll get a character from them, but any game that breeds a subgenre named after it is not hurting for legacy.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
What of Persona 5? :ultjoker:
To be fair, It's still ultimately apart of a series that's been ongoing since 1996.

I know the bulk of Joker's pack is obviously based around Persona 5 in particular, but it's still somewhat of a celebration of the series as a whole, with Mii costume pieces and music tracks from the other installments, and Mementos even changes color to reflect the aethestics of the game the music playing originated from.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, It's still ultimately apart of a series that's been ongoing since 1996.

I know the bulk of Joker's pack is obviously based around Persona 5 in particular, but it's still somewhat of a celebration of the series as a whole, with Mii costume pieces and music tracks from the other installments, and Mementos even changes color to reflect the aethestics of the game the music playing originated from.
I'd argue that there isn't much difference.

Souls series technically started with Demon Souls in 2009, and the oldest game directly referenced in Joker's pack is Persona 3, a 2006 release. Like, sure, Dark Souls came out in 2011, and its impact very much limited to the 2010s but I think we can stop pretending that a decade is too short of a legacy after Bayonetta, Joker and Steve got in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom