• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Fighterz has a kick-butt roster. Just because its full of Gokus doesnt mean its crap.

What you dont like GT? Its only got 3 characters, same for the movies just having Cooler, Janemba and Broly.

And while Base, SSJ and Blue Goku share normals, the other 2 Gokus are super unique in how they play

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Fighterz has a kick-butt roster. Just because its full of Gokus doesnt mean its crap.

What you dont like GT? Its only got 3 characters, same for the movies just having Cooler, Janemba and Broly.

And while Base, SSJ and Blue Goku share normals, the other 2 Gokus are super unique in how they play
FighterZ is probably one of my favorite anime fighting games cause of that. The overall richness in content, the detail put in it...

chef’s kiss perfection. 👌

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
Just got some DLC for FighterZ (FP2 and Master Roshi) to test out my new Switch Pro Controller. I will say, as someone completely ignorant of Dragon Ball lore, I felt there was too many blonde dudes in the base game. So the DLC has always looked enticing, because it should add some much needed variety to this great game!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't have any of Dragon Ball FighterZ's DLC, but from what I've seen of the duplicate characters, they seem to be quite different personality wise too:
  • Goku (Super Saiyan) and Goku (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) seem pretty similar. Still fun loving, but somewhat serious about the fight.
  • Goku treats the match like it's just a friendly sparring session.
  • Goku (GT) is back in the body of a child, so he feels quite different even if he's a lot like his other base form. There's just a bit more youth to him.
  • Goku (Ultra Instinct) is a Goku that has stopped messing around, and is now entirely serious.
  • If we're counting Goku Black, then he's quite different on the account of being a British villain with a god complex.
  • If we're counting Vegito and Gogeta, then they're also a bit different since Vegeta's pride and cockiness is thrown into the mix.
EDIT: But honestly I wouldn't really count the last three unless I was memeing.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Honestly, while I do tend to dislike having multiple versions of the same character on a fighting game roster - even in games that use original characters - it seems like that's what the DBZ audience expects. I guess a big part of it is the gradual progression in power, so I suppose it makes sense.

Besides, I'm not sure how many "quality" additions there are left. I mean, if you don't like the movies or GT, you have... Raditz and Mr. Satan, definitely. Maybe Dodoria and/or Zarbon? Dabura? Dr. Gero? ...Uuuuh, Bulma in a mech or something? Probably someone from Super I don't know very well?

...Actually, I'd be down for all of those, to be honest...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
All the blondies play differently, it's just difficult for me to tell them apart.
That's also kinda true, but it's also a character design problem rather than a character selection one. The camera is pretty far back, and their hair is what sticks out (lol) the most, especially since if any of them wear bright colors, it's probably either orange or white.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
While we're on the topic of Dragon Ball FighterZ, quick reminder that Heritage for the Future should absolutely get a sequel one day. I have even come up with an entire concept for how it would operate if anyone is interested in listening to me rant.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the duplicate characters in Smash, I think they're fine:
  • Dr. Mario is kinda there for the lulz, but considering that most of the stuff they did to make him different was slap a multiplier on his stats, I don't think he took too much dev time despite not being an Echo Fighter. I don't see much reason to complain about him.
  • Since even making Link a composite fighter like Hero wouldn't really represent the entire series, making more than one Link character makes sense. Neither of them really do this, but that's a problem in execution rather than character choice. Young Link in particular though was likely done as a quickie because why not, and is now back for his fans. As a last hoorah for the character, I think his inclusion is fine.
  • Sheik only doesn't make sense as a newcomer, but since she isn't...She was originally added alongside Zelda because she was a huge part of her character, and stayed because Sakurai doesn't really like touching character designs after they're made. By the time Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U was being made though, she had cemented herself as a series staple, so it made sense to bring her back despite her transformation mechanic being impossible.
  • Zero Suit Samus is definitely the weirdest pick, being a version of a character in the game who's distinction is that they can't fight. Nonetheless, she is very different from Samus both aesthetically and mechanically, so she isn't really that offensive as a pick.

Actually, I think I heard someone say they wouldn't be putting Heihachi in Tekken games anymore due to both his death in the story and his voice actor passing away?
It's only a theory at this point. Heihachi is a big enough character that if they wanted to keep him, they would replace the voice actor, but if they didn't, there is a chance that they could retire him aside from crossovers that reuse dialogue if they give him any to begin with.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Actually, I think I heard someone say they wouldn't be putting Heihachi in Tekken games anymore due to both his death in the story and his voice actor passing away?
Probably. But we also need to get rid of that stupid filler Jin too, what do you mean he might be the main focus again?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm kind of curious to get everyone's thoughts on this.

In the last 2 waves of DLC, a spot was saved for a character from an upcoming game that would release later that year. In Smash for Wii U/3DS, this character was :4corrin:. In the first Fighter's Pass, this character was :ultbyleth:.

Do you guys think we'll close out the second Fighter's Pass with a character from a 2021 release? Personally, I don't see why not. Nintendo obviously likes the free publicity that comes with Smash (although, how much Smash benefited the sales of Fates or Three Houses is unknown), while I imagine Sakurai likes the opportunity to make Smash more up to date with modern releases. It's one of the few patterns that we've seen thus far that has gotten a direct confirmation of "Yes, this is what we were going for when including these characters".

Obviously, who that character would be is currently a massive shot in the dark. So far, the only 2021 Nintendo releases we know about are 3D World (which is already represented in Smash) and Monster Hunter Rise. However, we do know that BotW 2 exists and could be a 2021 release, while Kirby Fighters seemed to foreshadow another potential 2021 release in the form of the 3D Kirby game referenced in its code.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

In the last 2 waves of DLC, a spot was saved for a character from an upcoming game that would release later that year. In Smash for Wii U/3DS, this character was :4corrin:. In the first Fighter's Pass, this character was :ultbyleth:.

Do you guys think we'll close out the second Fighter's Pass with a character from a 2021 release? Personally, I don't see why not. Nintendo obviously likes the free publicity that comes with Smash (although, how much Smash benefited the sales of Fates or Three Houses is unknown), while I imagine Sakurai likes the opportunity to make Smash more up to date with modern releases. It's one of the few patterns that we've seen thus far that has gotten a direct confirmation of "Yes, this is what we were going for when including these characters".

Obviously, who that character would be is currently a massive shot in the dark. So far, the only 2021 Nintendo releases we know about are 3D World (which is already represented in Smash) and Monster Hunter Rise. However, we do know that BotW 2 exists and could be a 2021 release, while Kirby Fighters seemed to foreshadow another potential 2021 release in the form of the 3D Kirby game referenced in its code.
It's inevitable lol.

Eldrake

Smash Lord

There's heavy rumors of a new Metroid release in 2021, so maybe there's something from that one that Sakurai might be interested in.
A Chozo getting in Smash would be really cool.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I don't think so.
Given our current facts, there's no character for Nintendo to promote, and from games with an upcoming 2021 release there's no new central character that could stand-in for the new game for Nintendo to pick and shove off to Sakurai.
Plus given the current trend of those character's games at least releasing first before their smash cameo, the window of time for Nintendo to announce that character in a trailer and release the game before they appear in a Smash trailer is very very small.

So all around, I find the idea quite unlikely.

The closest thing I could possibly think of for an obligatory "promotional rep" for 2021 would be someone like the Demi-fiend from Atlus's SMT3HD remaster, but that's not Nintendo's nor is it exactly "new."

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I mean,

It's possible, but it's kinda hard to speculate about when the character isn't even released yet. There's an updated port, a third-party who we're mainly speculating for their size and influence, and a couple games that are just guesses themselves. It could happen, but there's not much to say regarding the topic.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I'm not usually confident in any predictions but I'm almost certain that this is going to be a thing. We probably don't even know of the game it's going to be yet.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I think it's definitely a possibility. It would probably come from a major or rising star IP, so of those:
  • Super Mario: I can only see this if Super Mario Odyssey 2 comes out next year. In which case, the pick would most likely be Pauline unless there's some sort of standout villain that Sakurai decides to add. I...don't think they'd add Cappy.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Since the next major game in the series is going to have the same setting and characters as the one the current Link is already representing on top of the Mii Costume, I'd imagine they wouldn't go with this one.
  • Metroid: I'm not sure this one would qualify. Perhaps a new 2D Metroid could come, but those tend to not focus on characters that aren't Samus. If there is a character added from this hypothetical game, it will very likely be one we've never seen yet.
  • Star Fox: Erm. Maybe? It could help jumpstart the series, but I'm not sure they'd go with it after Star Fox Zero's terrible performance. This is a bit cynical, but we may not even get a new Star Fox game on the Switch since there's no hardware gimmick to take advantage of.
  • Kirby: This one is a bit odd, as there is likely a game coming, but whether or not it will get this kind of promotion really depends on how big it is for the series. As for who would get in, I'd imagine it would be the main villain over Bandana Waddle Dee since the former character is more directly connected to what makes the game unique.
  • Pokémon: Currently the most likely of the picks, but what they'd be promoting here is currently a question and a half. Don't worry though, come whatever spring Pokémon direct, we'll be speculating on the new releases, and probably finding a few candidates to be a shoe-in. lol
  • Fire Emblem: This one definitely won't happen since there is no game to promote...Unless they actually manage to pull off that one year long development goal. lol
  • Pikmin: Eeeeeeeh. Probably not regardless of any potential Pikmin 4.
  • Animal Crossing: Doesn't really count at this point.
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Also doesn't meet the criteria, though a pick from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 does make a bit of sense.
  • Splatoon: Probably doesn't meet the criteria either.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'd imagine he'd need at least a small window to try the given game out before he can include said character like he did with Byleth and Corrin, so either a game that has yet to be announced or one of the currently confirmed games that are coming earlier next year I suppose.

Which I guess 3D World is, which I suppose would be an opportunity to finally add a stage for that game, not sure what character they could add from it though...

Inb4 Meow Meow Mario actually unironically becomes a reality... :colorful:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Captain Toad would be kind of pog as a tie in for 3D World, although we don’t even know if they’ll go for a new release to promote. They could pick an existing Switch title as a closer since that’d promote an IP all the same, or just consider Min Min enough for this pass and not even go for another first party.

cothero

Smash Lord
Guys, i'm not a big Pokémon fan but i gotta say, there will be a gen 8 Pokémon in FP2, that's inevitable. Nintendo and Game Freak will push Sakurai to add a new rep and they'll find a way to add Swords and Shield music in smash. Even Min Min is there, you think they're not going to add a freaking gen 8 Pokémon too? Puh-lease.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I don't think so.
Given our current facts, there's no character for Nintendo to promote, and from games with an upcoming 2021 release there's no new central character that could stand-in for the new game for Nintendo to pick and shove off to Sakurai.
Plus given the current trend of those character's games at least releasing first before their smash cameo, the window of time for Nintendo to announce that character in a trailer and release the game before they appear in a Smash trailer is very very small.

So all around, I find the idea quite unlikely.

The closest thing I could possibly think of for an obligatory "promotional rep" for 2021 would be someone like the Demi-fiend from Atlus's SMT3HD remaster, but that's not Nintendo's nor is it exactly "new."
Until you realize SMTV Content wise could also include another Protagonist as an Alternate Costume to counter a potential delay.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Guys, i'm not a big Pokémon fan but i gotta say, there will be a gen 8 Pokémon in FP2, that's inevitable. Nintendo and Game Freak will push Sakurai to add a new rep and they'll find a way to add Swords and Shield music in smash. Even Min Min is there, you think they're not going to add a freaking gen 8 Pokémon too? Puh-lease.
Nah, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield have missed their shot. If we do get a Pokémon, it'll be from what's coming next year, and unless that's Pokémon Gun...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Nah, Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield have missed their shot. If we do get a Pokémon, it'll be from what's coming next year, and unless that's Pokémon Gun...
They added Incineroar in Ultimate's base game 2 years after Sun and Moon came out and in the year of LGPE's release.

D

Deleted member

Instead of a Gen 8 or Gen 4 remake mon, what if we got Mew to promote the new Pokémon Snap & 25th anniversary? That is something I could see happening and completely blindside the community.

Edit: Totally forgot Mew was a pokeball summon lmao but still what if 👀

Last edited by a moderator:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that we'll be getting any Pokemon newcomer unless Gen 9 comes next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom