• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cothero

Smash Lord
They obviously didn't care about that with Three Houses.
Byleth's release date (Jan 16, 2020) was much closer to Three Houses release date (July 26, 2019).

If they're holding a gen 8 rep for FP2, it would be suspicious to hold gen 8 spirits for so long (more than a year, in this case).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Either have it be a flame staff or hold it with his tail when he’s not using it maybe? Either way Sakurai can just work his magic by taking a Pokémon’s concept to its logical conclusion like how he gave Greninja water katanas or Incineroar ropes to throw fools off of. It’s just a cool idea that stands out to me a lot more than whatever Garchomp or other Gen 4 mons could pull off in Smash.
I guess I'd agree with most of that, though I think that Garchomp being an aggressive heavy character would be just as unique as an idea. EDIT: So would digging though the stage depending on how it was done.

Personally, I'd just rather the next Pokémon not be yet another starter.

Is it bad that I just realized that you're not new to this thread and just changed your name and profile picture?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be honest I think SwSh is pretty much done after that event. They got the Spirit Event, they got the starters, the Legendaries, one of the first Pokemon revealed, and the not-Pikachu. There's definitely others left, but those are pretty much the mascots. Even if they didn't give Spirits to the final evos, that's still a major blow. Especially so if we're subscribing to the theory that the Pokemon was chosen in advance, in which case the popularity of other non-mascot mons means jack.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I just realized that too. Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I assume you're that person who regularly changes their name? (I don't even know what to call you, the last name I remember is Chinderblock)
I most often go by Irene otherwise, if it helps.

And yes, I'm a name-changer, heh.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I change it as often as once a month and don't always note it.

So no.
Honestly, I've taken to identifying you through the Brian thread in your signature, tbh. :roll:

EDIT: Since I knew you originally as Chinderblock, I will maintain that Chin-Li is a great name option you could use in the future, especially with "Chun-Leak". :4pacman:

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Regarding "Pokemon", What does everyone think is more likelier of the 2 games to be announced next year for Pokemon's 25th Anniversary?

"Let's Go Johto" ? or "Diamond and Pearl" Remakes?

I personally would be really excited for either of them, Really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played Pearl in awhile, But would love to come back to it remade and modernized. Grew up playing both as kid, But I really hope we do get both games eventually.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Regarding "Pokemon", What does everyone think is more likely to be announced next year for Pokemon's 25th Anniversary?

I personally would be really excited for either of them, Really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played Pearl in awhile, But would love to come back to it remade and modernized. Grew up playing both as kid, But I really hope we do get both eventually.
Perhaps both, I'm not sure. The Gen 4 remakes would likely be the bigger selling point though.

EDIT: Assuming they're not pushed the same amount that is. I could see that happening too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Irene it is then
If only I didn't change my title too.

Honestly, I've taken to identify you because of the Brian thread in your signature, tbh. :roll:
I wish my support topic was more active, but niche series, etc. (Note, it was obscure, but due to ProJared's review and it being ran at GamesDoneQuickly, it's gotten a bit more notoriety. A good chunk of copies are even sold out on E-Bay of Quest 64. They also can't be generally found under 40 dollars by searching the name alone. You can still find it by looking at various Nintendo 64 bundles via a seller, but it's been usually on par with Smash Bros. 64, oddly enough, for prices. A few of them do have Smash a bit more pricey, understandably so, but amazing how a bit of exposure changes things, eh? XD).

On another note, I should work on more alts for other various characters I'd like to be in. It's just too bad I can only decently work with sprits/pixel art at best, though.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Honestly Gen 8 is a perfect time to have a pokemon that isn't a starter. For once the Legendaries aren't some cosmic eldritch being whose size wouldn't fly as a fighter and there is even a couple of popular pokemon that could be a fighter.

I would love to see Corviknight cause we don't have birds. No, humanoid birbs don't count.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Regarding "Pokemon", What does everyone think is more likely to be announced next year for Pokemon's 25th Anniversary?

I personally would be really excited for either of them, Really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played Pearl in awhile, But would love to come back to it remade and modernized. Grew up playing both as kid, But I really hope we do get both eventually.
Pokemon X 2 and Y 2. A stunning 8 year return to the two games that brought the Main Pokemon games to 3D.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Perhaps both, I'm not sure. The Gen 4 remakes would likely be the bigger selling point though.

EDIT: Assuming they're not pushed the same amount that is. I could see that happening too.
Frankly, Gen IV remakes with sped up gameplay alone would be a big deal. Other kinds of bug fixes would be nice too.

Seriously, I feel like the Gen I games move faster than Diamond/Pearl. Though I'm just used to the speed on the regular Gameboy versions, but there's sometimes less stuff going on either way. The environmental stuff like Sandstorms didn't exist yet, so the game was slower in a different way regardless of battle speed in general.

SKX31

Smash Master
Regarding "Pokemon", What does everyone think is more likelier of the 2 games to be announced next year for Pokemon's 25th Anniversary?

I personally would be really excited for either of them, Really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played Pearl in awhile, But would love to come back to it remade and modernized. Grew up playing both as kid, But I really hope we do get both games eventually.
Leaning towards Sinnoh remakes because it's been a while since ORAS. Could see Johto, although I'm not so sure on that when it's not been that long since Lets Go Kanto.

Other stuff, and I'm willing to bet on all these:

* I'm fully expecting Pokemon Unite to release worldwide during 2021. Tencent will start a closed beta-test in China this coming January. Tencent's also looking to hire a "Pokemon consultant". I should also note that Tencent's TiMi studio (the ones devving Unite) have also developed mobile games for Capcom, Activision and Konami, so chances are that this might become a long term thing.

* PoGo will likely roll out the rest of the Gen 6 mons as well as introducing Gen 7 into the game during 2021. That seems given though.

* Not going to expect any further Sword / Shield DLC now that they're selling "Complete" versions of the games, but I wouldn't mind that. If only because the Crown Tundra's story was so bonkers I want to see more insanity.

* The stuff they talked about during the Pokemon showcase, like the Café game, will likely release during the year, because they looked at least semi-complete.

* Not expecting a Gen 8 fighter as DLC purely off of the Spirits, but won't count them out entirely. Just saying the chances are looking miniscule.

I would laugh so freaking hard if the originals looked better.

...And then I would cry.
The return of the "It's been X years" meme baybee!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Frankly, Gen IV remakes with sped up gameplay alone would be a big deal. Other kinds of bug fixes would be nice too.

Seriously, I feel like the Gen I games move faster than Diamond/Pearl. Though I'm just used to the speed on the regular Gameboy versions, but there's sometimes less stuff going on either way. The environmental stuff like Sandstorms didn't exist yet, so the game was slower in a different way regardless of battle speed in general.
In terms of battles, they probably do go by faster than even Gen 8 since there are less things to note going on. I do hope they eventually streamline the UI stuff so we don't have to deal with:

"Vanillite used Ice Beam!"
animation
"It's super Effective!"
"Seedot used Bullet Seed!"
animation
animation
animation
animation
animation
"It hit 5 times!"
"It's not very effective!"
Vanillite's Ice Body
animation
"Vanillite gained some HP!"
animation
"Seedot was buffeted by hail!"

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Man, that sounds terrible. It'd be like if Smash had two Marios and three Links.
It'd be more like if Smash had 6 Marios, 4 Links and 3 Marinks, in a roster of only about 40 characters. But your sass is acknowledged and appreciated.

And while Base, SSJ and Blue Goku share normals, the other 2 Gokus are super unique in how they play
That actually makes it worse. If they were just basically echoes with a different outfit and slightly altered move properties, that'd be one thing. It'd still be annoying, but they'd at least have been cheap and easy(like Goku/Vegeta Blue). But the fact that the rest have unique movesets and animations mean they are ABSOLUTELY taking slots that could be used on other unique characters.

Let me say that having multiple versions of the same character doesnt mean they will play the same.
You know who ALSO wouldn't play the same? A DIFFERENT CHARACTER.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would think that, if they were holding onto a Gen 8 Pokémon, you would release that Gen 8 Pokémon while the iron is hot and DLC is releasing...as opposed to 6+ months after.

Granted, Byleth was revealed far later after Three Houses. I would not be totally against a Pokémon, but I wouldn’t expect anything crazy in terms of who they pick. It’ll likely follow up with what normally happens after coordination with the Pokémon Company. Cinderace was my pick for Sw/Sh so if that would be the Smash pick I am mostly fine with that.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I would think that, if they were holding onto a Gen 8 Pokémon, you would release that Gen 8 Pokémon while the iron is hot and DLC is releasing...as opposed to 6+ months after.

Granted, Byleth was revealed far later after Three Houses. I would not be totally against a Pokémon, but I wouldn’t expect anything crazy in terms of who they pick. It’ll likely follow up with what normally happens after coordination with the Pokémon Company. Cinderace was my pick for Sw/Sh so if that would be the Smash pick I am mostly fine with that.
Well Three Houses DLC was announced on the same day as Byleth's reveal. And all of Sword and Shield's DLC is already released. Of course I already have doubted a gen VIII Pokemon to begin with.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In terms of battles, they probably do go by faster than even Gen 8 since there are less things to note going on. I do hope they eventually streamline the UI stuff so we don't have to deal with:

"Vanillite used Ice Beam!"
animation
"It's super Effective!"
"Seedot used Bullet Seed!"
animation
animation
animation
animation
animation

"It hit 5 times!"
"It's not very effective!"
Vanillite's Ice Body
animation
"Vanillite gained some HP!"
animation
"Seedot was buffeted by hail!"
Yeah I hate how there's a pause before the animation. As if the developers want you to read "Vanilite used Ice Beam" first and then the animation comes second. But to really speed things up, they could have the words pop up at the same time as the animation. Why not? The animations are long enough for us to read what attack is being used. Do they think we'd be too distracted to read it, and that's why there's that breif pause at the start?

The original Pokémon Stadium had the fainting animation and the text appear at the same time. It really makes all the difference even though you're only saving half a second. It just doesn't feel as sluggish.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
One thing I'll say about SwSh is that the further we get from its initial release and its DLC, the less it can make use of the promotional angle. Corrin was revealed within two months of Fates' western release and was released within two weeks of it. Byleth was built up as a character from a game people were playing at the time, of which there was a half year gap between TH's release and Byleth's release. We're over a year from SwSh's release and its DLC will have wrapped up for about four months once we hit March (which we guess is the time FP9 will release) and they seem to be moving on to the DP remakes if the rumors are true. Galar as a whole is going to step out of the spotlight, and that means the promotional value of adding a character is going to be less meaningful of an angle, at least in terms of how characters like Corrin used it.

It can still get in for other reasons as it's Pokemon, but that particular window is closing and it's not getting any warmer outside.

cothero

Smash Lord
One thing I'll say about SwSh is that the further we get from its initial release and its DLC, the less it can make use of the promotional angle. Corrin was revealed within two months of Fates' western release and was released within two weeks of it. Byleth was built up as a character from a game people were playing at the time, of which there was a half year gap between TH's release and Byleth's release. We're over a year from SwSh's release and its DLC will have wrapped up for about four months once we hit March (which we guess is the time FP9 will release) and they seem to be moving on to the DP remakes if the rumors are true. Galar as a whole is going to step out of the spotlight, and that means the promotional value of adding a character is going to be less meaningful of an angle, at least in terms of how characters like Corrin used it.

It can still get in for other reasons as it's Pokemon, but that particular window is closing and it's not getting any warmer outside.
Min Min wasn't used in a promotional angle as Arms was released back in 2017, y' know. Also, even if Gen 8 was released way after all the FP1 and FP2 characters was decided (back in 2015), the smash team probably had the concept idea of some gen 8 Pokémon to be used in FP2 before it's release. Remember Sakurai had access to Greninja's concept art way before X and Y were even released.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Min Min wasn't used in a promotional angle as Arms was released in 2017, y' know. Also, Even if Gen 8 was released way before all the FP1 and FP2 characters was decided (back in 2015), the smash team probably had the concept idea of some gen 8 Pokémon to be used in FP2 before it's release. Remember Sakurai had access to Greninja's concept art way before X and Y were even released.
To be fair, ARMS was used in a promotional angle. It was used to get people back into the game, including an all new demo for a while and made the guessing game.

It's just not promoting a new game, but an old one. But it's definitely a promotional case. That's not for every game.

But as said before, it's Pokemon. Many Pokemon were added because they were popular or notable alone. Not a lot were for a more promotional angle either(only really Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar have any promotional variation to them, and Incineroar was added so late it wasn't really promoting much of anything by that point. The rest were at a good time).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah I hate how there's a pause before the animation. As if the developers want you to read "Vanilite used Ice Beam" first and then the animation comes second. But to really speed things up, they could have the words pop up at the same time as the animation. Why not? The animations are long enough for us to read what attack is being used. Do they think we'd be too distracted to read it, and that's why there's that breif pause at the start?

The original Pokémon Stadium had the fainting animation and the text appear at the same time. It really makes all the difference even though you're only saving half a second. It just doesn't feel as sluggish.
I agree. If they are so worried about players missing things (which they shouldn't since that has never really been a problem for turn based RPGs) then they just need to add a battle log that you can check each turn to refresh your memory.

Multi-hits should just change their animation rather than playing it over and over as well. There's no reason not to. If it triggers an ability multiple times then just make the ability popout thing appear when it first gets triggered and add a multiplier each time it happens. So a 5 hit Bullet Seed would show Weak Armor x5 in the popup, and then it would show the stats lowering and raising afterward. If they wanted to keep the calculations the same, then they could just apply the stat alterations stealthily between damage calculations.

cothero

Smash Lord
To be fair, ARMS was used in a promotional angle. It was used to get people back into the game, including an all new demo for a while and made the guessing game.

It's just not promoting a new game, but an old one. But it's definitely a promotional case. That's not for every game.

But as said before, it's Pokemon. Many Pokemon were added because they were popular or notable alone. Not a lot were for a more promotional angle either(only really Lucario, Greninja, and Incineroar have any promotional variation to them, and Incineroar was added so late it wasn't really promoting much of anything by that point. The rest were at a good time).
Although i'm sure a gen 8 Pokémon is coming to FP2, i'll be glad if it doesn't happen. I rather have another FE character.

Nope, i rather have a Pokémon in this case.:joyful:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Min Min wasn't used in a promotional angle as Arms was released back in 2017, y' know. Also, even if Gen 8 was released way after all the FP1 and FP2 characters was decided (back in 2015), the smash team probably had the concept idea of some gen 8 Pokémon to be used in FP2 before it's release. Remember Sakurai had access to Greninja's concept art way before X and Y were even released.
Firstly, I don't consider Min-Min a promotional rep to begin with, especially not in the same vein as Corrin or Byleth, so that point doesn't affect my argument.

Secondly, I'm not arguing that a Gen 8 Pokemon is impossible, but rather that the promotional angle that's used as a positive for it is going to get steadily weaker as time goes on. Neither Corrin or Byleth would've been nearly as effective in their roles if their games weren't within the timeframes that Sakurai/Nintendo were looking in, and may've even been skipped over entirely if they were outside of those respective windows, so there being over a year long gap between a theoretical character and the release of SwSh is not a good sign for that prospect.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Although i'm sure a gen 8 Pokémon is coming to FP2, i'll be glad if it doesn't happen. I rather have another FE character.

Nope, i rather have a Pokémon in this case.:joyful:
I don't think a Gen VIII is guaranteed by any means, but I don't consider it out of the running. But only cause there's many plausible options who didn't get a Spirit anyway.

The fact it's not here yet could relate to delays or something. We got an entire year to go. But yeah, I'm in the "could go either way" train.

Depends the FE, to be fair. Hector or Lyn would be sweeeeet~

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
The way I see Gen 8 representation is that it's not as "Inevitable" as some people believe nor do I think it's out of the running. People keep saying it's pretty much an inevitable and safe choice yet I feel like if we got a Gen 8 Pokemon, it would have happened already. At the same time, given how Smash DLC is, it's very unpredictable and I think the only fighter people got close to unanimous results were Hero, albeit just as Erdrick.

This is a bit why I don't consider anyone out of the running unless they have a Mii costume or if they're a 4th party who have no choice anyways. We could get Ryu Hayabusa, we could get a Gen 8 Pokemon, we could get Dante, we could get Reimu, we could get freaking Saber, we could get Chun-Li or Robotnik, or we could even get Doom Guy despite everything. The DLC has been unpredictable and kept breaking a lot of "Fan rules" to the point there's a lot more possibilities now than ever and I have a "Never say never" mentality for most stuff.

A Gen 8 Pokemon is still very much possible but it ain't this Inevitable result as people claim it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom