• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
A Pokemon character being added is not an inherent Negative.

We have yet to get a rep from a remake, we did not get a gen 3 rep for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and we did not get a gen 2 rep for HeartGold and SoulSilver, Hell we did not get a Gen 1 rep For Let's Go. so even if there is a Gen 4 remake or Let's Go Gen 2 we still probably won't get any character from them.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They added Incineroar in Ultimate's base game 2 years after Sun and Moon came out and in the year of LGPE's release.
Yes, but if they were adding a promotional Pokémon, it would be from what they're trying to promote, which wouldn't be Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield at this point.

I don't think that we'll be getting any Pokemon newcomer unless Gen 9 comes next year.
I...what? You literally just tried to tell me I was wrong for saying something similar.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

We have yet to get a rep from a remake, we did not get a gen 3 rep for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and we did not get a gen 2 rep for HearGold and SoulSilver, Hell we did not get a Gen 1 rep For Let's Go. so even if there is a Gen 4 remake or Let's Go Gen 2 we still probably won't get any character from them.
That is correct. I don't expect any new Pokemon characters for FP2. The Spirit Event was enough for me to completely write off a Gen 8 mon getting in.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Guys, i'm not a big Pokémon fan but i gotta say, there will be a gen 8 Pokémon in FP2, that's inevitable. Nintendo and Game Freak will push Sakurai to add a new rep and they'll find a way to add Swords and Shield music in smash. Even Min Min is there, you think they're not going to add a freaking gen 8 Pokémon too? Puh-lease.
Why did they add Swoshi spirits in November after the announcement of the second Fighters Pass if there was going to be a playable Gen 8 Pokemon, though?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yes, but if they were adding a promotional Pokémon, it would be from what they're trying to promote, which wouldn't be Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield at this point.
By that argument, Ultimate would have added another Gen 1 Pokemon (or Melmetal) to the roster as they were promoting LGPE at the time, and Smash 4 would have added a Gen 3 Pokemon as they were promoting ORAS at the time.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

We have yet to get a rep from a remake, we did not get a gen 3 rep for Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire and we did not get a gen 2 rep for HearGold and SoulSilver, Hell we did not get a Gen 1 rep For Let's Go. so even if there is a Gen 4 remake or Let's Go Gen 2 we still probably won't get any character from them.
Counterpoint, the focus is on trying to keep up with the generations for the base roster picks, which is why a lot of them are being picked in advance now. That much is true. However, that's not likely to be the case with DLC. If there are Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl remakes, then they will be the big new thing for Pokémon, which hasn't been the case in any of the roster considerations thus far, with the closest being Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire during the previous game's DLC, which were a few years old at that point. These remakes also get more points because the demand for them is higher than the others.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Counterpoint, the focus is on trying to keep up with the generations for the base roster picks, which is why a lot of them are being picked in advance now. That much is true. However, that's not likely to be the case with DLC. If there are Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl remakes, then they will be the big new thing for Pokémon, which hasn't been the case in any of the roster considerations thus far, with the closest being Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire during the previous game's DLC, which were a few years old at that point. These remakes also get more points because the demand for them is higher than the others.
Except Lucario, the biggest Gen 4 Pokemon in terms of popularity, is already on the roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
By that argument, Ultimate would have added another Gen 1 Pokemon (or Melmetal) to the roster as they were promoting LGPE at the time, and Smash 4 would have added a Gen 3 Pokemon as they were promoting ORAS at the time.
No because then we get into "existed too late to add" territory, with both games coming out after the Smash games they released around.

Except Lucario, the biggest Gen 4 Pokemon in terms of popularity, is already on the roster.
That doesn't mean that there aren't still popular Pokémon to add from it. Gen 4 has quite a few of them.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think boiling DLC selection down to "the series has been around for a long time" is overly reductionist.
To piggyback off of this, I feel like this is one of the most persistent issues in this community.

For what it's worth, I don't blame people for wanting characters from when they grew up, or older characters who they've become more familiarized or comfortable with over the years. I think that's pretty natural. But there's another side to this where a lot of people seem to treat these older characters as more "deserving" than newer characters who have come around and established legacies and fans of their own. Smash has always celebrated both old and new, so there is always room for that.

The main issue is that this bleeds heavily into what people are willing to accept with speculation and what they will consistently deem as 'likely', how people view the "legacies" of certain characters and will trivialize things like Minecraft or Dark Souls on the basis of only being a decade old (if Minecraft was a game from 20 years ago, nobody would have been calling it a 'kiddie game' and stuff). The thing is, the community always finds itself blindsided by these newer characters on account of giving 99% of their attention toward 18-20+ year old characters. And then we'll look back and be like "ohhhh right that makes sense" and still speculate about 90s mascots for the rest of time.

People are quick to dismiss "patterns", but I don't think that should prevent people from learning with each new character. After Joker, arguably Hero (Luminary), Byleth, Min Min and Steve you would think people get the memo that maybe Nintendo and Sakurai are trying to mix in some new characters with the old. Not saying that we're getting Fortnite or anything, but I think it's pretty obvious that we won't just be getting a bunch of nostalgia picks or old characters just because they've stuck around longer.

This is why I have advocated heavily for Dark Souls in the past - it's one of the biggest games of the last decade, inspiring effectively a brand new genre not unlike Metroid / Castlevania way back when. Its cultural impact is monumental in such a short amount of time and it has already sold gangbusters competing with some of Namco's biggest series of over 25 years. This series is a big deal, and an important part of gaming history!! It doesn't need to wait another ten years just to feel like it's earned a seniority pass.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
No because then we get into "existed too late to add" territory, with both games coming out after the Smash games they released around.

That doesn't mean that there aren't still popular Pokémon to add from it. Gen 4 has quite a few of them.
ORAS came out on the same day as Smash for Wii U, while LGPE came out a few weeks before Smash Ultimate. Your information is wrong. Also, they have never promoted remakes with new characters and I expect it to stay that way.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'm kind of curious to get everyone's thoughts on this.

In the last 2 waves of DLC, a spot was saved for a character from an upcoming game that would release later that year. In Smash for Wii U/3DS, this character was :4corrin:. In the first Fighter's Pass, this character was :ultbyleth:.

Do you guys think we'll close out the second Fighter's Pass with a character from a 2021 release? Personally, I don't see why not. Nintendo obviously likes the free publicity that comes with Smash (although, how much Smash benefited the sales of Fates or Three Houses is unknown), while I imagine Sakurai likes the opportunity to make Smash more up to date with modern releases. It's one of the few patterns that we've seen thus far that has gotten a direct confirmation of "Yes, this is what we were going for when including these characters".

Obviously, who that character would be is currently a massive shot in the dark. So far, the only 2021 Nintendo releases we know about are 3D World (which is already represented in Smash) and Monster Hunter Rise. However, we do know that BotW 2 exists and could be a 2021 release, while Kirby Fighters seemed to foreshadow another potential 2021 release in the form of the 3D Kirby game referenced in its code.
I've always felt that either Monolith's new IP or a potential Xenoblade Chronicles 3 MC felt possible as a late DLC inclusion.

I don't think it's likely but it's a feeling that I have.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
To be Fair, it's just giving want the Fans want

Us Dragon Ball Fans wanted Characters like Broly, Vegito, Gogeta, Ultra Instinct Goku, Kid Goku (though I Imagine more wanted OG Kid Goku instead of Kid GT Goku), Cooler, Janemba, SSJ4 Gogeta, Baby Vegeta, etc. The Japanesse in particular wanted the Base forms of Goku and Vegeta. You still see many requests for Characters like Majin Vegeta and Omega Shenron

Honestly, Namco and Arc Systems are actually doing the best job in giving what the fans want. Your issue should honestly be with the Fanbase, and also the Source Material since Goku and Vegeta have so many moves to make many movesets with, compared to to other characters.

Also Personally I don't know the big issue with Non-Canon Characters. FighterZ is a Non-Canon game after all
FighterZ's roster is great. I don't know what that guy is on. I hope we get season 4 so we can get Omega Shenron in there. And maybe Uub too. Oh, and Arale!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've always felt that either Monolith's new IP or a potential Xenoblade Chronicles 3 MC felt possible as a late DLC inclusion.

I personally doubt it but it's a feeling that I have.
I don't think that we're going to get any first party new IP shill picks due to the chance that said game could be a flop.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's really not much of a point in adding a character that would advertise a remake, especially if the orginal already has a decent amount of content. In DP's case, we have Lucario, Spear Pillar, and a handful of tracks and Pokéball Pokémon. The GS games don't have as much content, but still, I'd be surprised if they wanted a Gen 2 Pokémon.

It's not really exclusive to Pokémon either. Remakes and ports are rarely given much attention in Smash. How much content did Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and Pikmin 3 Deluxe bring with them?

D

Deleted member

Garchomp is the obvious choice that would slot in nicely here, although I’d personally prefer Infernape so we could have ya boy Goku Sun Wukong in Smash.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
There's really not much of a point in adding a character that would advertise a remake, especially if the orginal already has a decent amount of content. In DP's case, we have Lucario, Spear Pillar, and a handful of tracks and Pokéball Pokémon. The GS games don't have as much content, but still, I'd be surprised if they wanted a Gen 2 Pokémon.

It's not really exclusive to Pokémon either. Remakes and ports are rarely given much attention in Smash. How much content did Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, Super Mario 3D All-Stars, and Pikmin 3 Deluxe bring with them?
Yeah. Gen 4 already has enough content as is to represent itself, and Smash tends to prioritize brand new titles over remakes when it comes to new characters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If you guys are up for dumb theories, Capcom just released this for their 2021 calendar

Outside of Megaman, if Capcom is getting a character, then it's one of the folks here.

RIP Dante :4pacman:
I hope it's Chris Redfield. He's wide enough in VIIlage that he can fill out the roster select screen to a perfect block again.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
ORAS came out on the same day as Smash for Wii U...
But a few months after Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3Ds, that part still stands.

...while LGPE came out a few weeks before Smash Ultimate.
If 2 years is too late than a few weeks is way too late for consideration on the base roster. I may have been wrong on the dates, but the argument as a whole still stands.

Also, they have never promoted remakes with new characters and I expect it to stay that way.
You can expect that, but "they haven't before so they won't do it now" is not a good enough argument to say that it is 100% off the table.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If 2 years is too late than a few weeks is way too late for consideration on the base roster. I may have been wrong on the dates, but the argument as a whole still stands.
Besides Melmetal, all the other prospective LGPE promotional reps debuted in 1996. Rex and the ARMS cast never existed before their games.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
If you guys are up for dumb theories, Capcom just released this for their 2021 calendar

Outside of Megaman, if Capcom is getting a character, then it's one of the folks here.

RIP Dante :4pacman:
We're getting Vergil over Dante for our DMC rep. Can't wait for the trailer music to start with "I am the storm that is approaching".

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that DP needs any additional representation. It's current representation is great, with a character, a stage, and a good amount of music and Spirits.

cothero

Smash Lord
Why did they add Swoshi spirits in November after the announcement of the second Fighters Pass if there was going to be a playable Gen 8 Pokemon, though?
Because the game was released in november?... :p

Which doesn't imply the character was ready, of course. Plus, spirits don't deconfirm characters, yall should know that already.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Which doesn't imply the character was ready, of course. Plus, spirits don't deconfirm characters, yall should know that already.
Post-game Spirits are subjected to different rules than base game Spirits.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't see what another Sinnoh rep would add, especially considering how well represented DP already is in Smash.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Actually thinking about it, Infernape taking inspiration from Sun Wukong would be kind of lit? Just give him the Jingu Bang and that’s already a really cool base to work off of.
I assume you're talking about the staff of infinite extendum? It would be interesting I guess, but it's highly unlikely they would give it something like that since no incarnation of Infirnape has anything like that.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I assume you're talking about the staff of infinite extendum? It would be interesting I guess, but it's highly unlikely they would give it something like that since no incarnation of Infirnape has anything like that.
I mean we could just have 'em shape it out of the flames. Plus, then we wouldn't need to explain how a solid staff can extend somehow.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see what another Sinnoh rep would add, especially considering how well represented DP already is in Smash.
Gen 4 Mode: It's the same as normal Smash, but characters launch unnecessarily slowly.

EDIT: "You mean like Brawl?"
No. Slower.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean we could just have 'em shape it out of the flames. Plus, then we wouldn't need to explain how a solid staff can extend somehow.
Either have it be a flame staff or hold it with his tail when he’s not using it maybe? Either way Sakurai can just work his magic by taking a Pokémon’s concept to its logical conclusion like how he gave Greninja water katanas or Incineroar ropes to throw fools off of. It’s just a cool idea that stands out to me a lot more than whatever Garchomp or other Gen 4 mons could pull off in Smash.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Okay, but Min Min was a base game Spirit upgrade while the decision to add Swoshi spirits was made during the development of the second Fighters Pass. If there were really plans to add a Gen 8 Pokemon as a character, why not wait to add those spirits when said fighter released? They didn't jump at the chance to promote Three Houses with spirits in the month it released and then add Byleth later down the line.

cothero

Smash Lord
Okay, but Min Min was a base game Spirit upgrade while the decision to add Swoshi spirits was made during the development of the second Fighters Pass. If there were really plans to add a Gen 8 Pokemon as a character, why not wait to add those spirits when said fighter released? They didn't jump at the chance to promote Three Houses with spirits in the month it released and then add Byleth later down the line.
If they waited to long to release the spirits, it would confirm or made it suspicious that a gen 8 character was coming. That's simple.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There's over 50 different SwSh spirits possible. Having a quick spirit event to advertise the games out now makes sense. It wouldn't make a difference if we had another spirit event or a playable character with Spirits later on.

It's also not very similar to a lot of other Spirit Events, as they usually have all the "main options". Pokemon didn't even have those, just a tiny few Pokemon of note at best. There's still multiple starters alone who could make sense as playable and aren't Spirits. This isn't, for instance, like Resident Evil which knocked out nearly every plausible playable character option in one go, leaving at best Nemesis for a playable slot. Likewise, for the same reason, Paper Mario could still happen, as it's just one of his games getting a Spirit Event. It's a slightly different situation, but it's a matter of "did they give Spirits of every plausible playable choice? No? Then it's not really knocked out of the running entirely. But it makes sense to be skeptical".

It's the spirit that matters, not just the game alone, honestly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom