• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Mythra, she's busted in her game after all, especially if they give her Bat Within only better in literally every way while it slows you down, give her a frame 2 jab and give her hitboxes bigger than herself, but I don't think they'd do that
Oof, yeah that'd be pretty insane.

Like, if you're going to go that far, might as well just give her access to Ganondorf's doriyah, but make it more explosive.

But yeah, they wouldn't go that crazy.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Pillow

Smash Lord
It's been goddamn dry around here, so here's another game. I generated 6 random codenames which make up a hypothetical FP3 datamine leak. Go ahead and assign whichever characters you think fit each of these best...

1. Queen
2. Titan
3. Gambit
4. Devil
5. Lotus
6. Bass

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't understand why Master Chief seems to elude the theory about only one company per pass (excluding Nintendo of course). Sephiroth was believed to kill off any other Square rep, the Capcom mii costumes were believed to kill off the potential of a Capcom rep, I don't see why Steve being in pass 2 doesn't also make Master Chief seem more unlikely? Is it because Minecraft is technically "Mojang"? I get that Master Chief is one of the most popular characters in gaming, but I feel like I've just seen a lot of people apply certain beliefs that a character isn't coming because "X company is already repped" or "Mii costumes from Y company are already in" and still seem to think Master Chief is likely. I'm not saying there is no way he is happening, but it just seems like he gets exceptions from the normal speculation theories applied to so many other characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
As Agumon got mentioned, as a casual who's never even looked at Digimon after watching Tamers and playing World DS, it's such a shame he pretty much can't happen as Agumon by himself isn't interesting without Digivolution as a mechanic, meaning he'd take at least 2 characters worth of development and ideally 3

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's been goddamn dry around here, so here's another game. I generated 6 random codenames which make up a hypothetical FP3 datamine leak. Go ahead and assign whichever characters you think fit each of these best...

1. Queen
2. Titan
3. Gambit
4. Devil
5. Lotus
6. Bass
Why are people constantly saying it's been dry around here when there are three or four "fun games" going around at any point and we got three pages in a single day, mostly of people making character lists with no elaboration. lol

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's a funner game. Name all the characters from each company you want in Smash until you can't think of anymore.

Nintendo
Ocarina of Time Adult Link
Masked Link (Deku, Goron and Zora Link)

Konami
Cormano

Sega
Axel Stone
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Gunstar Red/Blue
Vectorman

Capcom
Arthur
Dante
Chris Redfield
Amaterasu
Amingo
Viewtiful Joe

Namco
Klonoa
Nightmare
Jin Kazama

Square Enix
Sora
Geno
Ark
Crono
Serge
Squall

Microsoft
Joanna Dark
Fulgore

SNK
Kyo Kusanagi
Simea
To varying levels. Split into franchises to save space. The closer to the front of each list the more the want.

Nintendo
Toad, Captain Toad, Waluigi
Meowth (& Team Rocket), Blaziken, Ditto
Impa, Vaati, Tingle
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee, Gooey
Officer Howard
Chibi-Robo
Dillon
Tom Nook
Louie, Alph(echoified rather than alt)
Ayumi Tachibana
Fossil Fighter
Isaac

Capcom
Chris Redfield, Jill Valentine, Albert Wesker, Leon S. Kennedy
Chun-Li, Dhalsim, Dan, Akuma
Phoenix Wright
Frank West, Chuck Greene

Sega
Tails, Eggman, Knuckles
Alex Kidd
Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding
Aiai
Vyse

Namco
Agumon, Etemon, Gabumon
The Prince of Cosmos
Klonoa
Nightmare

SquareEnix
Lara Croft

Konami
Bomberman
Bakurya the mole, Yugo the wolf, Alice the rabbit

Koei-Tecmo
Lu Bu
Suezo, Mocchi, Hare
Kasumi, Ayane

Valve
Heavy(or Spy disguising himself at every merc)
Bill Overbeck/Survivor(all eight of the Left 4 Dead survivors in one fighter, all alts)
Chell

Activision
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I honestly don't understand why Master Chief seems to elude the theory about only one company per pass (excluding Nintendo of course). Sephiroth was believed to kill off any other Square rep, the Capcom mii costumes were believed to kill off the potential of a Capcom rep, I don't see why Steve being in pass 2 doesn't also make Master Chief seem more unlikely? Is it because Minecraft is technically "Mojang"? I get that Master Chief is one of the most popular characters in gaming, but I feel like I've just seen a lot of people apply certain beliefs that a character isn't coming because "X company is already repped" or "Mii costumes from Y company are already in" and still seem to think Master Chief is likely. I'm not saying there is no way he is happening, but it just seems like he gets exceptions from the normal speculation theories applied to so many other characters.
I think he's still likely because despite having two MS reps we still don't have "Mr. Microsoft"

ZelDan

Smash Master
Nope. No leaks, cause a plumber's on the case.

Speaking of which, Happy Mar10 day!

Kinda funny we have happy Mario day this month considering, well, you know...

Pillow

Smash Lord
As Agumon got mentioned, as a casual who's never even looked at Digimon after watching Tamers and playing World DS, it's such a shame he pretty much can't happen as Agumon by himself isn't interesting without Digivolution as a mechanic, meaning he'd take at least 2 characters worth of development and ideally 3
Ehh...an install where he digivolves wouldn't take up that many resources. Less than the Xenobaes, and certainly less than Steve. In general I wouldn't cite "too much development time" as a reason for any character's exclusion, as Sakurai has shown time and time again he's willing to put in the time and effort to make concepts work for DLC characters.

He doesn't. People who think Master Chief is coming don't believe in the one company per pass theory.

Why are people constantly saying it's been dry around here when there are three or four "fun games" going around at any point and we got three pages in a single day, mostly of people making character lists with no elaboration. lol
Because if it wasn't 3 pages of 4fun lists, it'd be no pages.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Solution: Add Omnimon instead.

He's in, like, everything and is also the coolest **** ever.
1615405570427.png
Ehh...an install where he digivolves wouldn't take up that many resources. Less than the Xenobaes, and certainly less than Steve. In general I wouldn't cite "too much development time" as a reason for any character's exclusion, as Sakurai has shown time and time again he's willing to put in the time and effort to make concepts work for DLC characters.
How can it not?

Assuming you go down his line of Agumon -> Greymon -> Metalgreymon -> Wargreymon, that's 4 models, 3 with entirely different bodyshapes, and each of them with their own designated unique moveset that all must be gradually improved upon their last digivolution.

No character in the game thus far even comes close to that level of work. There's Pokemon Trainer but they're only 3 characters and certainly don't rely on evolution.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Like Pillow Pillow said, most people who predict Master Chief don't buy the theory anyways. He just so happens to be the most commonly predicted character form the two third-parties already in FP2, since Squeenix got their biggest two series represented and Microsoft's only been giving out second-hand IPs.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Nah, Agumon doesn't have the same body type as his Digivolutions.
f701acce9af1def3e85ea484891d9192.jpg

Greymon's the closest but that tail really cannot be ignored, not to mention Pythra's got the same body size, body type and only have 4 different moves from one another.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Solution: Add Omnimon instead.

He's in, like, everything and is also the coolest **** ever.
View attachment 306657

How can it not?

Assuming you go down his line of Agumon -> Greymon -> Metalgreymon -> Wargreymon, that's 4 models, 3 with entirely different bodyshapes, and each of them with their own designated unique moveset that all must be gradually improved upon their last digivolution.

No character in the game thus far even comes close to that level of work. There's Pokemon Trainer but they're only 3 characters and certainly don't rely on evolution.
Because he doesn’t need the full evolution line. It could just be Greymon install and Wargreymon could be the final Smash. Even if it was a 2 stage install with both Greymon and Metalgraymon I’m sure Metalgraymon is just adding some extra steps to Greymons existing moves.

and that’s still less effort than the hoops the dev team had to jump through to individually program Steve’s blocks onto all 100+ stages.

Im not saying Agumon wouldn’t take lots of work, he would. I just think that never is the reason a character won’t be included as dlc. If anything, the more complex the better, as Sakurai seems hellbent on making each dlc as unique as possible.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

1. Queen
2. Titan
3. Gambit
4. Devil
5. Lotus
6. Bass
1. Toriel
2. Regigigas
3. Phoenix Wright
4. Dante
5. Reimu
6. Zero

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because he doesn’t need the full evolution line. It could just be Greymon install and Wargreymon could be the final Smash. Even if it was a 2 stage install with both Greymon and Metalgraymon I’m sure Metalgraymon is just adding some extra steps to Greymons existing moves.

and that’s still less effort than the hoops the dev team had to jump through to individually program Steve’s blocks onto all 100+ stages.

Im not saying Agumon wouldn’t take lots of work, he would. I just think that never is the reason a character won’t be included as dlc. If anything, the more complex the better, as Sakurai seems hellbent on making each dlc as unique as possible.
Well first of all, a character focused on digivolution with only a single digivolution is extraordinarily disappointing and I very much doubt they'll do that.
Second of all, I'm taking more issue with the fact you said "It wouldn't take that many resources" when yes, it actually would.

Modeling, animating, coding, and balancing 4 characters (or 2 if it's a sad and pathetic attempt to put in the bare minimum) is a ****ton of work. No, not even Steve has that. He has coding for all the stages that allows the placement of blocks and a separate list of materials.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
(CRPG? Genshin's Chinese, so it's not really a Japanese RPG)
If you wanna be technical, yeah you could call it a CRPG (although I've mostly seen it used with computer RPGs). It's worth noting that anime / manga have gotten a lot more popular in China too as of the last decade, and companies like miHoyo and Tencent noticed that - especially when the local Crunchyroll (Bilibili) slowly but surely turned into the local YouTube. Worth remembering that miHoyo's also the ones behind Honkai Impact 3rd.

Mythra, she's busted in her game after all, especially if they give her Bat Within only better in literally every way while it slows you down, give her a frame 2 jab and give her hitboxes bigger than herself, but I don't think they'd do that
Don't forget this beauty of a move:

Mythra uses Megaman X4's Soul Body (kinda), thus Mythra = Megaman X confirmed. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well first of all, a character focused on digivolution with only a single digivolution is extraordinarily disappointing and I very much doubt they'll do that.
Second of all, I'm taking more issue with the fact you said "It wouldn't take that many resources" when yes, it actually would.

Modeling, animating, coding, and balancing 4 characters (or 2 if it's a sad and pathetic attempt to put in the bare minimum) is a ****ton of work. No, not even Steve has that. He has coding for all the stages that allows the placement of blocks and a separate list of materials.
Okay, yeah I misspoke. It is a **** ton of effort. But I stand by my claim that effort required won’t dissuade Sakurai and co from making a dlc character.

I don’t expect Agumon for several reasons, but the complexity surrounding the digivolve mechanic isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

1. Queen
2. Titan
3. Gambit
4. Devil
5. Lotus
6. Bass
1. Makoto Niijima
2. No clue
3. No clue
4. Dante
5. PROBABLY Reimu
6. No clue

I wanna do my own take on code names too, these require some thinking outside the box
1. Essence
2. Planet
3. Story
4. Reaper
5. Escape
6. Adept

hint - Adept is NOT Isaac. Or anyone from Golden Sun for that matter

also none of them are KOS-MOS sadly, I couldn’t think of a code name for her that I hadn’t already used before

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Like Pillow Pillow said, most people who predict Master Chief don't buy the theory anyways. He just so happens to be the most commonly predicted character form the two third-parties already in FP2, since Squeenix got their biggest two series represented and Microsoft's only been giving out second-hand IPs.
To elaborate on this further, Halo covers an entirely different demographic and audience compared to Banjo & Kazooie (90s kids) and Steve (Gen Z, younger crowd), not to mention a different genre and overall aesthetic / appeal.

Square’s arsenal (at least who would realistically be considered) is very RPG skewed. Chances are someone who wanted Crono thinks Hero is pretty cool, or someone who wanted Sora has some love for Sephiroth. Halo doesn’t have a whole lot of overlap with its contemporaries, so with that in mind there’s plenty of reason to go for it company withstanding.

Because that’s really the only thing they have in common. I used to buy into the one per company deal too, but then I realized it made absolutely no sense to arbitrarily limit entirely different characters like that. Especially considering how this pass has been handled so far, moreso using what’s readily available to Nintendo right now rather than making a whole lot of new negotiations like FP1. If Microsoft is willing to play ball one more time and get Chief in Smash, an action FPS icon, I can’t fathom passing him down just because we have Minecraft, a relaxing sandbox game.

I’d like for someone who does believe the one per company theory is a firm rule to let me know why though. I feel like it’s something people expect by default without really thinking critically about it and wondering why that would be the case.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Okay, yeah I misspoke. It is a **** ton of effort. But I stand by my claim that effort required won’t dissuade Sakurai and co from making a dlc character.

I don’t expect Agumon for several reasons, but the complexity surrounding the digivolve mechanic isn’t one of them.
I really can't agree, if a single character will take the budget for at least 1 more fully unique character, that's a genuinely good reason to not do it as budgets here are... y'know, for an entire pass, not just developing 1 fighter from them.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Eventually you just sorta... glaze over any lists on this thread.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
If you wanna be technical, yeah you could call it a CRPG (although I've mostly seen it used with computer RPGs). It comes down to the fact that anime / manga have gotten a lot more popular in China too as of the last decade, and companies like miHoyo and Tencent noticed that - especially when the local Crunchyroll (Bilibili) slowly but surely turned into the local YouTube. Worth remembering that miHoyo's also the ones behind Honkai Impact 3rd.
While I think Genshin's chances are pretty much zero (it's a 2020 launch, after Volume 2 was already decided), I think it's a decently likely candidate in a future Smash game if it keeps up its momentum - the game is confirmed to be coming to Switch too - and Nintendo's interest in China doesn't wane.
Mythra uses Megaman X4's Soul Body (kinda), thus Mythra = Megaman X confirmed. :4pacman:
Ah, so that explains everything. Guess someone had to carry Zero's torch from MvC. Now we know the real reason they came with Capcom costumes. :4pacman:

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
1. Makoto Niijima
2. No clue
3. No clue
4. Dante
5. PROBABLY Reimu
6. No clue

I wanna do my own take on code names too, these require some thinking outside the box
1. Essence
2. Planet
3. Story
4. Reaper
5. Escape
6. Adept

hint - Adept is NOT Isaac
Oh I didn’t have anything in mind when I listed these, they were literally random words from a code name generator. But I’ll guess yours

1. Ahri
2. Sackboy / Elma
3. Quote / Patchouli
4. No clue
5. Zagreus
6. Some anime guy with a sword

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh I didn’t have anything in mind when I listed these, they were literally random words from a code name generator. But I’ll guess yours

1. Ahri
2. Sackboy / Elma
3. Quote / Patchouli
4. No clue
5. Zagreus
6. Some anime guy with a sword
Ahri and Elma are correct, the rest are wrong

hint - 3 is translated from Japanese “monogatari”

Pillow

Smash Lord
I really can't agree, if a single character will take the budget for at least 1 more fully unique character, that's a genuinely good reason to not do it as budgets here are... y'know, for an entire pass, not just developing 1 fighter from them.
That’s a fair opinion, I just feel a lot of Smash inclusions are largely fueled by passion. There’s really no reason for Smash to be as good as it is considering the complete lack of competition in the platform fighter department. They don’t mind the extra effort, despite budget constraints, because they want a satisfying final product.

Ahri and Elma are correct, the rest are wrong

hint - 3 is translated from Japanese “monogatari”
Then I’ll give a final guess for story of seasons farmer then as #3 then.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want? Honestly, this was surprisingly tough for me to decide on, but I think I’d go with:
  • Arthur - fun NES throwback
  • Chun-Li - “the first lady of fighting games”
  • Phoenix Wright - popular character with heavy Nintendo association
  • Amaterasu - insane moveset potential
  • Leon Kennedy - important series that would represent a new genre in Smash
  • Dante - crazy popularity and moveset potential
I thought about Monster Hunter, but I’m personally pretty happy with its representation in Smash.
Leon Kennedy
Dante
Chun-Li
Haggar
Amateratsu
X

Didn’t include Hunter or Arthur since they got Miied. I almost included Frank West since he’s my favorite Capcom character, but I think everyone I included would be more fun.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

1. Queen
2. Titan
3. Gambit
4. Devil
5. Lotus
6. Bass
This sounds fun, heres one I made.

1.Greek
2.Phones
3.Stilts
4.Story
5.Peel
6.Shemp

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That’s a fair opinion, I just feel a lot of Smash inclusions are largely fueled by passion. There’s really no reason for Smash to be as good as it is considering the complete lack of competition in the platform fighter department. They don’t mind the extra effort, despite budget constraints, because they want a satisfying final product.

Then I’ll give a final guess for story of seasons farmer then as #3 then.
Nope! It was Arle Nadja. Her origin game was Madou Monogatari

the other three are
4. Neku - Reapers are a driving force in TWEWY
5. Octoling - escape to the surface
6. Gunvolt - those who can control Septima are called Adepts

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's a funner game. Name all the characters from each company you want in Smash until you can't think of anymore.
Nintendo
Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
King Hippo [Punch-Out]
Mii Mage [Smash Bros.]

Konami
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
Bomberman [Bomberman]
Alucard [Castlevania]
Raiden [Metal Gear]

Sega
Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]

Capcom
Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
Amaterasu [Okami]
Dante [Devil May Cry]
Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
Strider Hiryu [Strider]
Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
Zero [Mega Man X]
Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]

Namco
Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
Heihachi [Tekken]

Square Enix
Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
Crono [Chrono Trigger]

Microsoft
Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
Doom Slayer [Doom]

SNK
SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if it's still relevant to talk about but I just thought of something relating to the head hitbox glitch and the dark pit arrow glitch.

This is just me guessing with my little to no knowledge of game development but a lot of people are saying this relates to Reimu from Touhou possibly being the next character. I didn't know anything about Touhou but many mention this move called "Graze" that could relate to this hitbox glitch.

BUT I don't think this is the case as I also think that another possibility is that it might not have anything to do with immunity but they had to redo head damage for a new mechanic. maybe it's not meant to be a dodging mechanic but instead more damage if the player's head is hit. This may relate to headshots from FPS titles which may or may not be an indicator of Master Chief or Doom Slayer.

This may also relate to Dark Pit's arrow glitch as in FPS games you need to reload. Perhaps the glitch is from the devs testing a reload system that would hold projectiles inside the new fighter. It could also be on Dark Pit's body as ammo is often stored in magazines that many would assume a FPS character holds on their belt or waste.

But if this is true (and once again I know nothing of game development) it might not even be Master Chief or Doom Slayer as while they are the biggest contenders for an FPS rep it doesn't mean they are the only options. Maybe it could be someone from Overwatch, Fortnite, Team Fortress, Half Life, Apex Legends, Superhot, Borderlands, Quake, Modern Warfare, Apex Legends or Call of Duty.

Maybe it's not an FPS fighter but maybe a 3rd Person Shooter or an arcade shooter that also has a reload and headshot mechanic?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
To be fair, I think that's kind of publicly known already, because of the "Steve took 5 years" thing.

Considering who we got in Volume 2 so far and how Sakurai said himself that we would have gotten a couple more characters after Volume 1, I'd wager at least Steve and Sephiroth were already in the backburner, just waiting for approval and finishing negotiations.

As for ARMS and Xenoblade, they were very clearly in some sort of "in case we can make more DLC" plan, especially seeing as Sakurai straight up namedropped both franchises as almost making the cut for base game. Being in-house certainly helps with the approval process - so much so that Monolith did a lot of stuff on their own.

Question is: where does this leave the last two candidates? Are they like Steve and Sephiroth, just taking this long because of negotiations? Are they like Min Min and Pyra, characters who were "set aside" in case of a Volume 2? Or are they someone completely new, chosen 2 years ago during Volume 1?
I was thinking earlier that in addition to all of this, that maybe Nintendo decided to double dip on both MS & Square.

If FP2 is just bonus stuff extended into a full pass, it’s possible that getting someone else from MS/Square while finishing negotiations for Steve/Sephiroth was easier than getting other companies involved.

On paper that seems like a complete lack of diversity in this pass. But all of the MS choices (Chief, Ori, other Rare characters) would differ from what we’ve gotten so far. While someone like 2B or Lara from Square would as well.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
ALSO

anyone know when that famitsu article is supposed to drop?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was thinking earlier that in addition to all of this, that maybe Nintendo decided to double dip on both MS & Square.

If FP2 is just bonus stuff extended into a full pass, it’s possible that getting someone else from MS/Square while finishing negotiations for Steve/Sephiroth was easier than getting other companies involved.

On paper that seems like a complete lack of diversity in this pass. But all of the MS choices (Chief, Ori, other Rare characters) would differ from what we’ve gotten so far. While someone like 2B or Lara from Square would as well.
Asdf

dont give me hope for Neku like that bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom