• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want? Honestly, this was surprisingly tough for me to decide on, but I think I’d go with:
  • Arthur - fun NES throwback
  • Chun-Li - “the first lady of fighting games”
  • Phoenix Wright - popular character with heavy Nintendo association
  • Amaterasu - insane moveset potential
  • Leon Kennedy - important series that would represent a new genre in Smash
  • Dante - crazy popularity and moveset potential
I thought about Monster Hunter, but I’m personally pretty happy with its representation in Smash.
1. Leon Kennedy
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Dante
4. Amaterasu
5. Chun Li
6. MH Rep

Honor Mentions: Dan Hibiki, Arthur, Viewtiful Joe

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want? Honestly, this was surprisingly tough for me to decide on, but I think I’d go with:
I thought about Monster Hunter, but I’m personally pretty happy with its representation in Smash.
  • Amaterasu
  • Dante
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Leon S. Kennedy
  • Chun-Li
  • Morrigan

That would be my picks. But I'd be pretty much happy with any Capcom character to be honest. Or at least, most of them.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I fully agree with you there. It's a case where I have real problems imagining a character, but the soundtrack would be a refreshing fit for Smash. Mostly because the songs are really well remixed (it's one reason I've been infrequently posting the Civ 6 Atomic themes) and cover musical styles that are not often seen in Smash. Sure, most songs are rather calm or uplifting, but they'd still work well overall.
I never though I'd see Civ 6 discussed in this thread but the themes being in Smash would be a dream come true. The Atomic themes for America, Canada, the Inca, Vietnam and more would fit so freaking well here.
I made a challenger pack in the appropriate thread at General Discussion, where I chose Gilgamesh as the fighter. Not just because he looks very physically able, to say the least, but also because I think that if Nintendo were faced with having to pick a Civ rep, they would prefer to avoid any leaders that are too recent, have connections to still-existing cultures and/or nations and have symbolic status among members of a culture. Other candidates who fit this criteria are Tomyris and Hammurabi. There is no mention of Gandhi in the pack for the same reason, despite the funny nuke meme involving him being what very many people think of first when they think Civ.

You'd have the issue of moveset, though, which I have almost no clue about, but I know that it couldn't be just based on the leader themselves. It would have to be based on things all players do in the game, e.g. summoning a Builder to mash an improvement on your opponent, founding a city on them, physically representing denunciation somehow, leaving a Spy on the stage, Thermonuclear Detonation final smash...

As for music I tried not to go exclusively Civ6. Mostly VI (as you said, they fit Smash best), a little from V and Baba Yetu from IV (obviously)

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I made a challenger pack in the appropriate thread at General Discussion, where I chose Gilgamesh as the fighter. Not just because he looks very physically able, to say the least, but also because I think that if Nintendo were faced with having to pick a Civ rep, they would prefer to avoid any leaders that are too recent, have connections to still-existing cultures and/or nations and have symbolic status among members of a culture. Other candidates who fit this criteria are Tomyris and Hammurabi. There is no mention of Gandhi in the pack for the same reason, despite the funny nuke meme involving him being what very many people think of first when they think Civ.

You'd have the issue of moveset, though, which I have almost no clue about, but I know that it couldn't be just based on the leader themselves. It would have to be based on things all players do in the game, e.g. summoning a Builder to mash an improvement on your opponent, founding a city on them, physically representing denunciation somehow, leaving a Spy on the stage, Thermonuclear Detonation final smash...

As for music I tried not to go exclusively Civ6. Mostly VI (as you said, they fit Smash best), a little from V and Baba Yetu from IV (obviously)
Ahahaha now that would be the Gilgamesh that no one expects. Final Fantasy Gilgamesh? Fate Gilgamesh?
No! Buff Gilgamesh in town.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hmmmm, assuming that the hypothetical FP3 would have 6 new chars, I'd pick:

Amaterasu from Okami
Chun-Li from Street Fighter
Zero from either Mega Man X or Mega Man Zero
Jill Valentine from Resident Evil
Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers
Either Ruby Heart or SonSon III from Marvel vs. Capcom

SKX31

Smash Master

It might be for the better to avoid such leaders - I didn't think that it would be too much of an issue when I wrote my in-depth post, but you bring up a good point that it might be best to avoid any real controversies. While Nintendo have promoted an Abraham Lincoln Mii (granted, Codename STEAM, but still) back in Smash 4 and used a Spirit from Nintendo's own Napoleon game in Ultimate, there being a playable character would be a lot more visible and thus possibly a bigger controversy magnet.

That moveset idea is kinda what I've been tinkering with too - a zone of control of sorts that strenghens the player and gives units that buff the character. Perhaps the zone of control would be a bit autonomous (growing on its own etc.) so as to discourage camping specific spots, but it might be a decent way to integrate the usual strategy tropes into a fighting game like Smash. And late-game units like tanks would only come out once the zone of control is well established, and those wouldn't be cheap either (using a small currency system, cooldown system or whatever).

Ahahaha now that would be the Gilgamesh that no one expects. Final Fantasy Gilgamesh? Fate Gilgamesh?
No! Buff Gilgamesh in town.
The CivFanatics call him "Gilgabro" after his "Ally of Enkidu" AI agenda: his AI is easy to befriend and he's extremely loyal to his friends. There have been a lot of games where Gilgabro has helped me out because I befriended him, and thus provided both a reliable trading partner and an ally in case another AI looks to gather a strong military. That said, AI Gilgamesh was also the reason I've lost a game so far:

I'm starting out as Babylon (Hammurabi) and prepping my early game. Worth noting that Babylon in Civ 6 is a really atypical civ that interacts with the science system in a funky way. Normally, techs are researched through normal science points + the "Eureka" system that grants a sizeable boost to a tech once a certain condition is met (Farm a resource with a builder and you get the Eureka to the very early tech Irrigation, for example). Babylon gets the entire tech once they get an Eureka - but have a 50 % decrease in their normal science output to compensate. Of course, this has lead to Babylon players gunning for super-early Crossbowmen (medieval era units) or even getting Tanks when everyone else is still in the middle ages. As well as the gold / resources to fund those armies and stomp everyone else in the game.

I find out that Gilgamesh and his Sumerians are my next door neighbors. I did underestimate his willingness to declare a surprise war on me - before I could even get 3 Archers out (what's needed for the Crossbowmen Eureka) Gilgamesh shows up with a bunch of War Carts (Sumeria's unique unit, stronger than most anything else in the very early game because Sumeria's geared for the very early game). And he promptly stomps my cities to dust.

GG.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want?
  • Chun-Li
  • Morrigan
  • Dante
  • Monster Hunter
  • Amaterasu
  • Leon Kennedy

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Capcom pass?

• Leon S Kennedy/Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
  • Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)

Extra: Chun-Li (Street Fighter)

BTW, how do you react if Lloyd Mii costume came with a non RPG or sword fighter? Someone like Dixie Kong, Rayman, Crash, Spyro, Chun-Li, Master Chief, Captain Toad, etc.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
-Phoenix Wright with Courtroom stage
-Dante with Temen-ni-gru stage
-Amaterasu with Shinshu field stage
-Jill Valentine (with Claire as a skin) (I would also want Leon and Chris as skin to have 4 characters like Hero, but perhaps they're too different from Jill to be skin) (maybe they could be echo fighter, but since none of the challenger pack had echo fighter I'm going to assume that Capcom pass won't have them either) with a Police station stage (from RE2 and 3)
-Viewtiful Joe and Movie land stage
-Franck West and Willamette mall stage

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Shower thought about Crash; it might be a good thing that Smash hasn’t been brought up in any interviews with devs.

There’s been some random characters that had Smash brought up in their games’ interviews like Tracer or Ryza. But the most wanted character hasn’t been brought up to his devs despite having two games released during Ultimate’s DLC cycle. Hmm...

Maybe Activision is purposely weeding out Smash questions?

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
The CivFanatics call him "Gilgabro" after his "Ally of Enkidu" AI agenda: his AI is easy to befriend and he's extremely loyal to his friends. There have been a lot of games where Gilgabro has helped me out because I befriended him, and thus provided both a reliable trading partner and an ally in case another AI looks to gather a strong military
As someone who's also on Civfanatics, can confirm. His unofficial title is Gilgabro.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Shower thought about Crash; it might be a good thing that Smash hasn’t been brought up in any interviews with devs.

There’s been some random characters that had Smash brought up in their games’ interviews like Tracer or Ryza. But the most wanted character hasn’t been brought up to his devs despite having two games released during Ultimate’s DLC cycle. Hmm...

Maybe Activision is purposely weeding out Smash questions?
Yeah, that would make sense, since Crash would be a character that would cause a lot of hype and surprise (more than every character before him); they'd probably want to keep him a secret for a while and save him for last.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Y know what **** it you’ve inspired me to make a Square Enix pass

imma make it a bit easier and make it 5 fighters not 6

1. Neku
2. 2B
3. Lara
4. Agnès (hey it was only Bravely Default II that was spirited away, not the OG or Bravely Second)
5. ... fine I GUESS Sora even tho in my eyes he’s technically Disney

Technomage

Smash Champion

1. Neku
2. 2B
3. Lara
4. Agnès (hey it was only Bravely Default II that was spirited away, not the OG or Bravely Second)
I'll be doing the same, too. My SE picks:

Squall Leonhart
YoRHa 2B
Agnes Oblige (with Tiz Arrior, Edea Lee, Ringabel, Yew Geneolgia, and Magnolia Arch as al. costumes)
Sora
Lara Croft

dezeray112

Smash Hero
  • Chun-Li
  • Arthur
  • Amaterasu
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Morrigan Aensland
  • Dante
  • Date Masamune
  • Leon S. Kennedy

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Kinda late, but:
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Ruby Heart, Sonson and Amingo
  • Amaterasu
  • Zero
  • The last two can be Chun-Li, Dante, Jill or Monster Hunter for the fans.

Same-ish. I wouldn't mind Leon, but realistic human characters are the least hype to me.
I find COD insufferable whereas I find Overwatch, Team Fortress 2, DOOM, and even Halo to be quite enjoyable.
Same distaste for GTA.
Generic humans = 😴
"Realistic human", he says. :4pacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I made a thread for Beatrice from Umineko, come check it out whenever you're free or bored. I put in heavy work for this one.

Gonna add some extra attention to this because I feel that it should be pointed out that the moveset Waft provided is a simply fantastic example of a fan moveset, no "and then they did this because it's a reference and they also have this because it's a reference" mix and mash moveset, but a moveset that considers a gameplan that just so happens to be perfect for the character's personality. The Golden Witch's moveset should be the golden standard here

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Pheonix, Ammy, Dante, Viewtiful Joe, and...idfk Baby Bonnie Hood I guess

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Gonna add some extra attention to this because I feel that it should be pointed out that the moveset Waft provided is a simply fantastic example of a fan moveset, no "and then they did this because it's a reference and they also have this because it's a reference" mix and mash moveset, but a moveset that considers a gameplan that just so happens to be perfect for the character's personality. The Golden Witch's moveset should be the golden standard here
Haha thanks Gwen. For Beatrice I really did feel a zoner trap moveset would fit her best considering the nature of Umineko and Beatrice's personality herself. In Umineko Beatrice is cocky and arrogant yet also manipulative and eerily intelligent. The goal of Umineko is to solve Beatrice's riddles that she left for you and beat her. My idea of incorporating this for a Smash moveset is to make it the player's goal to beat the traps she leaves for you and bypass them so you can reach Beatrice herself and attack her. With how Beatrice's playstyle revolves around keeping the opponent away with her magic in order to disorient them enough to attack viciously, it feels a bit familiar to her role in Umineko.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's a funner game. Name all the characters from each company you want in Smash until you can't think of anymore.

Nintendo
Ocarina of Time Adult Link
Masked Link (Deku, Goron and Zora Link)

Konami
Cormano

Sega
Axel Stone
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Gunstar Red/Blue
Vectorman

Capcom
Arthur
Dante
Chris Redfield
Amaterasu
Amingo
Viewtiful Joe

Namco
Klonoa
Nightmare
Jin Kazama

Square Enix
Sora
Geno
Ark
Crono
Serge
Squall

Microsoft
Joanna Dark
Fulgore

SNK
Kyo Kusanagi
Simea

Slime Master

Smash Ace

1. Neku
2. 2B
3. Lara
If you really don't want to count Sora, there are alternatives
wet_their_knickers.jpeg

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want?

1. El Fuerte- Street Fighter 4
2. BB Hood- Darkstalkers
3. Dante or Vergil- Devil May Cry
4. Phoenix Wright- Ace Attorney Series
5. Viewtiful Joe- Viewtiful Joe
6. Nemesis- Resident Evil

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Here's a funner game. Name all the characters from each company you want in Smash until you can't think of anymore.

Nintendo

Konami
Cormano

Sega
Axel Stone
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Gunstar Red/Blue
Vectorman

Capcom
Arthur
Dante
Chris Redfield
Amaterasu
Amingo
Viewtiful Joe

Namco
Klonoa
Nightmare
Jin Kazama

Square Enix
Sora
Geno
Ark
Crono
Serge
Squall

Microsoft
Joanna Dark
Fulgore

SNK
Kyo Kusanagi
Simea
I'll pick:

Nintendo: Krystal, Slippy Toad, Tingle

Konami: Raiden

SEGA: Imperial (from Etrian Odyssey 4), Dr. Eggman, Rouge the Bat

Capcom: Zero, Chun-Li, Jill Valentine, Amaterasu, Morrigan Aensland

Bandai-Namco: Digimon character, Yuri Lowell

Square-Enix: Squall Leonhart, Lara Croft, YoRHa 2B, Agnes Oblige/Edea Lee/Magnolia Arch

Microsoft: Conker

SNK: Marco Rossi

Last edited:

PacificFun

Smash Ace
If we we're somehow get a other Square Enix character, do you think Nintendo would pick Lara or another Japanese character?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

1. Neku
2. 2B
3. Lara
Sora, Ringabel, uh.. 2B/9S... That all I can think of that would like to have

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Nintendo

Konami
Cormano

Sega
Axel Stone
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Gunstar Red/Blue
Vectorman

Capcom
Arthur
Dante
Chris Redfield
Amaterasu
Amingo
Viewtiful Joe

Namco
Klonoa
Nightmare
Jin Kazama

Square Enix
Sora
Geno
Ark
Crono
Serge
Squall

Microsoft
Joanna Dark
Fulgore

SNK
Kyo Kusanagi
Simea
Nintendo: Elma, Octoling, Mecha-Fiora, Black Shadow, Adeleine, Medusa
Konami: Raiden
Sega: Eggman, Axel Stone, NiGHTS, Violet (P5R), Arle Nadja, Tee
Capcom: Dante, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Viewtiful Joe
Namco: KOS-MOS, T-elos, Sophitia, Prince of All Cosmos, Yuri Lowell, Alisa (God Eater)
Square Enix: Neku Sakuraba, Lara Croft, 2B, Fayt Leingod, Agnès Oblige, Edea Lee, Serge (Crono who?? everyone points knives at me)
Microsoft: Master Chief, Ori
SNK: Kyo Kusanagi, Mai Shiranui, Fio (Metal Slug), Geese Howard, Athena Asamiya

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

1. Neku
2. 2B
3. Lara
2B
Neku
Edea
Y'shtola
Tressa

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
I decided to throw my hat into the ring and be a little more unique with this:
  • Dante - well, he is my most wanted after all. If you know Dante or the DMC series then I don’t even have to explain the most of personality and moveset potential he would bring
  • Amaterasu - Very unique character with a niche fanbase, her stage would be beautiful as well. Are PETA jokes still in season?
  • Poison - Final Fight is a pretty classic franchise and Poison is one of the most recognizable characters from the series. This is mostly bias though as she’s been one of my favorite video game characters for forever now. Mike Haggard would be more likely and I’d love him as well
  • Nemesis/Wesker - Now obviously Leon/Jill/Chris would be the choice for a RE character, but really Nemesis or Wesker would be way more fun. Either would be fun, Nemesis would be a really unique character design-wise while Wesker would be a nice foil to Sephiroth. It would be strange to have the villains get in before the heroes but if it would happen with any franchise than I could see them doing it with RE/any horror series really
  • Another Street Fighter character - We already have two but Street Fighter has such iconic characters that one would be guaranteed if Capcom got another character. Chun-Li is the obvious choice but I could also see them going with Akuma as well. However, if I got my choice? M. Bison aaaalllll the way
  • Rad Spencer (Bionic Commando) - The one nobody sees coming! Rad would have a very fun playstyle with his grappling bionic arm and would represent a sort of forgotten NES classic and franchise! Ok fine, wanna know the real reason I chose him? Because there’s a chance that he’d be voiced by Mike Patton like in the most “recent” game, and as a huge Faith No More/Mr. Bungle fan, nothing would would be more awesome.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

Nintendo

Konami
Cormano

Sega
Axel Stone
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Gunstar Red/Blue
Vectorman

Capcom
Arthur
Dante
Chris Redfield
Amaterasu
Amingo
Viewtiful Joe

Namco
Klonoa
Nightmare
Jin Kazama

Square Enix
Sora
Geno
Ark
Crono
Serge
Squall

Microsoft
Joanna Dark
Fulgore

SNK
Kyo Kusanagi
Simea
These aren’t all my wants, just the ones I have proper affinity for.
Nintendo:
Porky
BWD
Ganon
Skull Kid
Waluigi
Issac

Konami:
Alucard
Bill Rizer
Pyramid Head

Sega:
Dr Robotnik
Tails
Shadow

Bamco:
Nightmare
Heihachi
Chosen Undead

SNK:
Geese Howard
Iori Yagami

Square:
Geno
Laura Croft

Microsoft:
MasterChief
Doomguy
Quakeguy

Capcom:
Phoenix Wright
Miles Edgeworth
Dante
Arthur
Leon S Kennedy
Albert Wesker

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

Nintendo

Konami
Cormano

Sega
Axel Stone
Tails
Dr. Eggman
Gunstar Red/Blue
Vectorman

Capcom
Arthur
Dante
Chris Redfield
Amaterasu
Amingo
Viewtiful Joe

Namco
Klonoa
Nightmare
Jin Kazama

Square Enix
Sora
Geno
Ark
Crono
Serge
Squall

Microsoft
Joanna Dark
Fulgore

SNK
Kyo Kusanagi
Simea
I'm not going to go super realistic expectations on this..

Nintendo
  • Octolings
  • Gardevoir
  • Melia Antiqua (Xenoblade)
  • Nia (Xenoblade 2)
  • Dixie Kong
  • Ashley (WarioWare)
  • Krystal (StarFox)
  • Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Sega / Atlus
  • Aigis (Persona 3)
  • Dr. Eggman
  • Metal Sonic
Capcom / Capcom USA
  • Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers w/ Lilith Alt or Echo)
  • Zero (Mega Man Zero / Mega Man X)
  • Dante (Devil May Cry)
  • Chun-Li
  • Roll
  • Monster Hunter
Namco
  • Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
Square-Enix
  • 2B (NieR Automata, w/ A2 as Alt or Echo)
  • Terra Branford (Final Fantasy VI)
  • Crono (Chrono Trigger)
SNK
  • Athena Asamiya
Disney
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
Type:Moon
  • Saber/Artoria Pendragon (Fate/stay night, Saber Alter as Alt or Echo)
Marvelous
  • Asuka (Senran Kagura)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom