• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ah **** here we go again
Lucas AND Dark Pit glitches? Hoo boy...
Can't wait for the next character blindside us and then for us to go back, look at this glitch and exclaim that it all makes sense.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ah **** here we go again
Lucas AND Dark Pit glitches? Hoo boy...
Does anyone even remember what the last glitch was?
Does that character even have any relation to Pyra?

1615203783625.png

You'd think this glitch theory would be infinitely bigger if people actually kept track instead of pointing at things and making the pog face.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
To play Devil's Advocate a bit, Akuma and even Geese in Tekken made people pop-off like crazy, not to mention the overall positive reception to Leroy Smith's initial reveal all had major success. Leroy was so liked that T-Pain ****ing cosplayed as him. Nothing to sneeze at. Obviously, Smash is a big crossover game. But you can also look at the general hype for DBFZ characters, let alone Marvel vs Capcom, another major crossover fighting game. With Marvel 2 also being an "Everyone is Here" thing. It's not like other titles are completely eclipsed in that regard. Hell, Tekken Tag 1 made a big deal about bringing back Kazuya and Tag 2 with Jun. Or MKA with it's 60 characters.

Guilty Gear is fairly obscure by normal standards, yet even on GG fans got excited when Nagoriyuki was teased too.

Even lame games like Jump Force gets carried on the fact that Yugi can fight Vegeta and Dio Brando.

FLEX having Terry is also really cool, but that game has little to no marketing, even compared to Tekken or MK.

Keep in mind I agree that people treat Smash reveals as the biggest deal overall, but it's just not the only example, even among casual game fans. New character reveals always hype people up.
I mean anything that involves crossover will get people attention from around the corner of the gaming industry not just fighting game of course but usually fighting game make this more extravagant than other gaming genre with trailers, moveset showcase and special stages.

I think what this original topic meant is that Smash is like the central of the gaming industry so the "EVERYONE IS HERE" stunt is probably the biggest thing that catch everyone's eye, not just Nintendo fans. Even if other fighting game do this they just simply bring back character that only the fandom knows and introduces a purely original character, I mean you rarely see an RPG guy get excited with the return of Sagat in SFV. Even if they introduce a crossover character it just feel like a surprise rather than a celebration since these game don't adopted the pure crossover game like Smash or Shonen Jump game since game like these pretty much expected you to know "what game is the next character come from?". I mean just imagine SE and Konami character got cut due to a failure at negotiation, the fan of these character will pretty much grieve really hard cause they don't appear in the biggest crossover game in history, but this is rarely happened to other non-crossover fighting game, it's like they just came by and go.

In short, just picture Smash/crossover game as something like an Olympic and picture other fighting game like a small scale competition that only happened in certain country with that surprise 3rd party character as an athlete from other country.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord

View attachment 306394

You'd think this glitch theory would be infinitely bigger if people actually kept track instead of pointing at things and making the pog face.
I mean it's all nonsense, but I believe someone mentioned there was a Ness glitch in relation to Pyra. But yeah this is a very obvious case of people finding meaning where there isn't any, because there's not much else to talk about.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I like seeing everyone cutting Cloud out, when Cloud was/is the most popular and played Character in Smash, in online, and FF7's popularity just exploded once again thanks to the Remake, giving a insight about it to newer generation of players.

If a character Sakurai is gonna fight to get back. It's Cloud.
I kept him if it means anything. the harder stuff to get is everything but cloud I believe, the music and art are pretty difficult. same goes for draqon quest, SE is willing but they don't own their own series's music or art.

SKX31

Smash Master
Good lord, people have standards I think :4pacman:

But to help steer discussion in a different direction, how would you all rank the new stages we got from DLC. Here is mine

9. Garreg Mach

It's ugly. Sorry. A layout that is not fun for hazardless and honestly more than any other stage the transformation makes me a little motion sick. I can handle Northern Crater or Umbra Clock fine, but this is ugh for me. It also does not help the cameo models are absolute garbage. Complete miss, easily the worst new stage in Ultimate.

8. Spring Stadium

I want to preface that I am neutral at best with the stages going forward. Spring Stadium to me compared to the other stages just feels a little... empty. I don't know. Maybe its because it is not as busy as the other stages. Its fine in the same way something like Moray Towers is fine in the base game. Is it egregious? No. Is it great? Not really.

7. Spiral Mountain

I love Banjo, he is arguably my favorite DLC character so far. But Spiral Mountain has problems. I can 100% get why a lot of people feel sick on this stage, the rotation ain't great. For hazards off, the layout sadly just is not ideal. It is a shame since it looks so pretty, but honestly it is just not as good as some of the later stages.

6. Yggdrasil's Alter

Honestly, its pretty much Town and City in its normal form hazards off. Outside of the beginning which if you die on that you are really dumb or doing something dumb, its fine. It has a simple layout that is fun to fight on. Not much to say here.

5. KOF Stadium

I hate walk offs generally, but this stage did them right. The gimmick of hitting someone through the wall is a ton of fun and honestly, the cameos here being tied to the music is such a nice touch. Also has one of my favorite BF/Omega forms.

4. Minecraft World

Its simple. The biomes are a nice touch. Fun in hazards off free for alls, relatively charming with hazards on. Great stage.

3. Cloud Sea of Alrest

I am glad we got this. It is a pretty stage, and Gramps giving his tour guide spheel is fun. Hazards off its on the small side but I dig it.

2. Northern Crater

Honestly if the background was just a tad less bright it would be number 1. A ton of fun to fight on, perfect for free for alls and one on ones. Amazing stage. Very pretty.

1. Mementos

Its just fun. Hazards on is chaotic as heck, hazards off is workable in a free for all. I love the aesthetic. It is just fun.

Here is hoping whoever is next has a good stage as well.
Personally - and I'm going off their normal forms, whether Hazards On or Off:

9. Spring Stadium:

It looks generic, that I can agree with - it feels like there were a lot of cut corners with not just the layout, but also the JPG cameos. And sure, the bounce pads can be a source of fun in hazards on, but the weird walls do not help the situation unlike KOF Stadium - they're positioned just so that they can stop a couple of KO situations but also lead to some extremely janky KOs as well. It's a bit better with Hazards Off, but then it loses a bit of its ties to ARMS. Kinda think they should've gone for a look that more resembles an ARMS arena, or gone with Min Min's stage.

8. Garreg Mach:

I like the idea of going around the monastery, but I do agree that the transformations are unneccessarily fast and the cameos are pretty damn ugly-looking. That; and all of the phases' layouts - except for the transitioning phase are walk-offs, meaning that people who decide to camp the blastzone often get disproportionely rewarded. I'd advocate changing the Marketplace phase or the Bridge phase to a more standard floating platforms spiel and touching up the cameos a bit.

7. Spiral Mountain:

Yeah, they really dropped the ball when designing the stage. I appriciate the attempt at a 3D stage - Tooty finally gets to run around Spiral Mountain in peace!. It isn't just the rotations that bother me (although that's a major issue) but certain phases' platform layouts are really weird and the climb up the Spiral is an absurdly good camping spot. Slowing down the rotations and adjusting some of the platforms could help.

6. Yggdrasil Altar:

While it's good looking, it's also rather generic and doesn't really take advantage of the opportunity to visit various places in DQ 11's world. Garreg Mach does that (albeit subpar). It isn't helped by the music being what it is. Its plus points are that the Hazards On platforms can be genuinely interesting for casual FFAs due to the chests, while Hazards Off Altar is a good alternative that has actually seen the occassional tournament play.

5. Cloud Sea:

The stage is a really good travelling stage visually - you get a sense that there is a lot of potential in the worldbuilding, whether one sees the giant whale or the Xenoblade 2 version of the Papal States / Vatican (Indol). The cameos are serviceable if janky-looking, and Gramps really likes to look at the titans without much forewarning. It's a pretty fine stage otherwise, with the only other thing I can think of is that Gramps' head is normally really close to the right blastzone.

4. Mementos:

Well, guess what happens when you delve into a city's collective subconcious? A lot of Hazards On fun, that's what, according to this game. The basic layout is pretty great, and the hazards do have warning shots to them so they don't come out of nowhere (IIRC). My only complaint with the stage layout is that the trains and walls can lead to some strange jank out of nowhere, but conversely it can also more easily lead to some fun item or stage comboes than say Spring Stadium, so it's okay.

3. Northern Crater:

This is (roughly) how one does a travelling stage! Yay! It takes its time going through the motion, and the stage is better for it since it doesn't leave people disoriented or scrambling for the new stage variant. My only issue is, like practically everyone else, some of the transitions where **** becomes really bloody bright. It like Yggdrasil Altar and Small Battlefield has affected the competitive scene - its inclusion in particular sparked debates about a rotating stage list since it's considered a pretty good stage. Just turn the brightness down a bit, please Sakurai?

2. Minecraft World:

The biomes are an interesting take and increase the stage's replayability, there's no obnoxious thing with the stage and there's a lot to explore with it whether Hazards on or off. Nothing to complain about here really. It works pretty damn well for Super Smäll Brödrar: Ultimat (:p).

1. Small Battlefield - eeeeeey :p. Another Kalos that slightly improves online matchmaking? I'll take it.

If we're excluding that:

1. KOF Stadium:

There's a reason I keep coming back to Hazards On this in casual occasions. The addition of walls that break make normally-really-bad walkoffs actually fun because now those walls discourage camping at the edge - mostly. If only every walk-off had that. The track list being huge helps this stage a lot, and the cameos actually look pretty damn good. Shame Mai couldn't make it in (not even with her bit-more-conservative designs in certain spin off appearances) but overall, it's the best DLC stage IMHO, on par with Small Battlefield.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We ranking stages? Okay then. To be clear, I don't think there's a single stage I actively dislike in DLC.

9. Garreg Mach Monastery (:ultbyleth:) - I just think it's a bit boring visually and mechanically compared to the other DLC stages. That said, I do appreciate that at least we got another game-specific FE stage instead of a generic reference.

8. Cloud Sea of Alrest (:ultpyra:) - I can appreciate smaller stages, but I just feel like the hazard is barely a hazard at all, so it'll most likely be both banned in competitive and not as fun in casual. Reminds me quite a bit of Yoshi's Story in that sense.

7. Spring Stadium (:ultminmin) - I like the stage's size and hazard, but at the same time I think it's not as interesting as the others. Strangely enough, I like the ceiling beams more than the springs as a stage highlight, dunno why.

6. Yggdrasil's Altar (:ulthero:) - Beautiful stage, nice stage cameos and fun gimmick with the platforms and Mimics. Only thing holding it back from being higher on this list is that it's not really groundbreaking to me as a traveling stage.

5. Mementos (:ultjoker:) - I like the size, cameos and gimmick, but there's one thing I dislike: the background. I've seen people defend it and it was probably a style choice, but compared to all the other stages... I dunno, it feels a bit cheap to have a PNG as a background when everyone else got detailed environments. Music gimmick definitely makes up for it, though.

4. Spiral Mountain (:ultbanjokazooie:) - Would have been higher on the list if it wasn't for the gimmick making me dizzy sometimes. Could have worked better as a traveling stage between the areas, but otherwise, I like the small size and it's imo one of the prettiest stages in all of DLC.

3. Northern Crater (:ultsephiroth:) - Literally every good thing I have to say about Mementos and Spiral Mountain applies here, except without the flaws of the PNG background and gimmick. Sakurai's a big fan and it shows.

2. Minecraft World (:ultsteve:) - I'm neutral on Steve himself, but his stage is definitely one of my favorites. It combines a lot of things we've seen over the years, like day-night transitions, multiple stage forms and destructible environments into one big blocky party. I just wish they had used the RTX-looking smooth textures for everything...

1. King of Fighters Stadium (:ult_terry:) - My favorite gimmick thus far? Check. Biggest amount of cameos so far? Check. 50 tracks to choose from? Check. There's no better way to represent all of SNK in a single stage than this. Heck, even the Battlefield and FD forms look really cool here!

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The worst part about this is that it does have a good layout when it faces Grunty's lair. So tragic.
And this is a great prompt for me to say: why not allow us to choose a sub-form from a stage, like some Spirit battles and even Classic Modes do?

I definitely think a few stages could benefit greatly from this, Spiral Mountain included.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
And this is a great prompt for me to say: why not allow us to choose a sub-form from a stage, like some Spirit battles and even Classic Modes do?

I definitely think a few stages could benefit greatly from this, Spiral Mountain included.
Arena Ferox is a stage that could definitely use this. Unique layout that could potentially be used as a counterpick ruined by the fact that Hazards off randomises the layout.

Arena Ferox small.png

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 306394

I'm kind of surprised that I can't find a definitive list of all the glitches(both visual and otherwise) we've had since Ultimate first came out. You'd think someone would have kept a list with screenshots and videos of them all. >_>

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The worst part about this is that it does have a good layout when it faces Grunty's lair. So tragic.

View attachment 306399
That's why I want hazards off to have a form selection. We all know it exits as Spirit battles stay in the one place on, say, WuHu Island without transitioning.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we get 2 more first party characters, I can't possibly imagine who'd they be. Given a lot of frontrunners are already assist trophies.
Or you can just imagine that Nintendo doesn't have the same excessive attachment to side content that's developed over the course of FP1 by Smash fans.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say uh

if I may ask here, why’s the Ashley thread active all of a sudden?

Powerman293

Smash Ace
One of them would more than likely be a new Pokemon.
I think with Gen 8 being old news with the new Pokemon games announced, I think the window for that has passed now.

But shoving a Pokemon in as the last ever Smash character does sound like the kind of dumb decision Nintendo would make.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Say uh

if I may ask here, why’s the Ashley thread active all of a sudden?
Lots of artwork to post. That, and we know now that stuff like Mii costumes aren't a death sentence(AT's possibly still are, but that'd be on Sakurai, since he can legit say no to a character in that position if he wanted to. That's actually part of his power as the Director) as is.

But it's mostly been artwork posts. If my Brian thread was more active, I'd be posting a lot of the new Quest content found. I only post relevant Smash stuff alone to it instead(it'd be nice to get replies. I don't like bumping my own threads, regardless of it being a relevant post. >.<; ).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we get 2 more first party characters, I can't possibly imagine who'd they be. Given a lot of frontrunners are already assist trophies.
Hopes in Octoling 🥺

and let me cling to the fading hope of either Elma or Fiora... the latter was shown in Shulk’s FS day 1, watch the “WTF?!?!?” when she’s the final playable character

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Lots of artwork to post. That, and we know now that stuff like Mii costumes aren't a death sentence(AT's possibly still are, but that'd be on Sakurai, since he can legit say no to a character in that position if he wanted to. That's actually part of his power as the Director) as is.

But it's mostly been artwork posts. If my Brian thread was more active, I'd be posting a lot of the new Quest content found. I only post relevant Smash stuff alone to it instead(it'd be nice to get replies. I don't like bumping my own threads, regardless of it being a relevant post. >.<; ).
Okay, real talk.

If you hadn't mentioned Brian, I probably wouldn't have recognized you (been using Smashboards on mobile these days, so I rarely see the signatures).

I just think it's funny how Brian is the one consistent point to locating you whenever you change your name and pfp lol.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, real talk.

If you hadn't mentioned Brian, I probably wouldn't have recognized you (been using Smashboards on mobile these days, so I rarely see the signatures).

I just think it's funny how Brian is the one consistent point to locating you whenever you change your name and pfp lol.
I also know it’s her from her typing style and the fact she’s 6 years older than me lul

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, real talk.

I'm the Brian guy. It makes sense~

Also, signatures are only on the first post of a user on any given page, so it's easy to miss even then. Another factor is if others use the same "support this character" picture as I do. Probably not, though? But it's a generic one, so. My other signature stuff is a bit more obvious in comparison to just the character support picture N3ON made. I didn't even make the first Brian support thread on the site. I did make the Quest 64 thread itself in the Nintenzone, on the other hand.

Besides, many shill their favorite character sometimes. >.>

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The lack of a Luigi's Mansion 3 spirit event makes me wonder if King Boo is being planned 👁 👁 . I mean I'm not saying anythiiiing but how has a 9mil copy selling game not received some pngs in Smash hmmm? 👁👁👁👁👁👁
Imma go on a limb and say blame the Wahoominati

the only LM3 reference is Luigi’s Poltergust 3000. Granted that’s probably cause LM3 was in development hell and only came out in 2019 proper but still

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean to be fair there's also plenty of other franchises has yet to have spirit events.
Tbh this week I expect a spirit event for Future Connected with FC!Shulk, FC!Melia, Kino and Nene. Perfect time to do so after Pythra

tfw still no TMS Encore event tho. It will ALWAYS set off my OCD that Tsubasa’s the lone Spirit, not even friggin Itsuki is there

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Tbh this week I expect a spirit event for Future Connected with FC!Shulk, FC!Melia, Kino and Nene. Perfect time to do so after Pythra

tfw still no TMS Encore event tho. It will ALWAYS set off my OCD that Tsubasa’s the lone Spirit, not even friggin Itsuki is there
Psst, remember: Smash shills Fire Emblem.

We'll get Itsuki soon enough... ;)

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

No we are getting a spirit event focused on characters with big hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom