• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For the record, there’s never been a glitch that resulted in a character that was hinted at by said glitch.

I wouldn’t say it’s 99.99% a nothing burger. It’s likely a 100% nothing burger.

Also after this Fighters Pass, this is what I think:
B55A538F-2C28-44DC-B732-E091C606058D.jpeg

It’s a joke, clearly, but I think folks truly undercut how integral both the gameplay and roster are to the identity of Smash Bros as it stands. Whether y’all like it or not, the Nintendo newcomer selection, assuming viable newcomers and what not, are slim pickings. It’s mostly C-listers, even if I think Isaac/Golden Sun would be cool.

The gameplay, as it is, is what makes it accessible to so many players. It Smash were to change things up significantly away from platform fighter I think you’d see quite a bit of interest lost. It wouldn’t be the same game anymore.

It’s not to say the discussion can’t/shouldn’t happen, but I think it’s more complicated/more than meets the eye than folks are implying with just “reboot”.

Granted, I think we’ve PROBABLY got a long time until another Smash game comes out. Like, PROBABLY a long time. We’re talking years.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The gameplay, as it is, is what makes it accessible to so many players. It Smash were to change things up significantly away from platform fighter I think you’d see quite a bit of interest lost. It wouldn’t be the same game anymore.
this guy here gets it.

and honestly, what else is there to overhaul moveset wise? people have gotten accustomed to those movesets for years, sure theres been some slight alterations here and there but everything is for the most part the same. change the moveset entirely and they don;t feel like the character you've grown accustomed to anymore. that's my take at least.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
this guy here gets it.

and honestly, what else is there to overhaul moveset wise? people have gotten accustomed to those movesets for years, sure theres been some slight alterations here and there but everything is for the most part the same. change the moveset entirely and they don;t feel like the character you've grown accustomed to anymore. that's my take at least.
well yeah, isn't the point to treat everyone as if they're a newcomer?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
well yeah, isn't the point to treat everyone as if they're a newcomer?
Yeah, it's a complete redo. Some things might stay the same as a throwback or because the character's abilities just lend themselves well to Smash, but the goal here is to start over. That way, we don't have to argue about who to cut, who to keep, etc. It's a completely new experience, without taking the previous roster into account.

There, no more talk about cuts. Everyone is cut, they may or may not get added back before release. Now move on and talk about something interesting that isn't like half a decade away.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Pillow

Smash Lord
So I spent an hour writing up a moveset for Jill from Va11ha11a, but I couldn't find a support threat, and I don't want to make it myself...so I'll just post it here so I don't feel like I wasted my efforts...

Julianne Stringray aka "Jill"

General Playstyle
Her gameplay is somewhat inspired by Invoker from DoTA. She's a very versatile all-rounder with a slight zoning emphasis that has the tools to deal with any situation, but needs to plan ahead and have good matchup knowledge to fully abuse her versatility. The best way to describe her would be a mix of Olimar and Shulk.

Stats
Weight - 96 (Same as Pit)
Air Speed - 1155 (Same as Cloud)
Fall Speed - 1800 (Same as Wolf)
Fast Fall - 1800 (Same as Wolf)
Dash - 1936 (Same as Mario)
Run Speed - 1534 (Same as Link)

Specials
Down + B (Mixology)
Pressing the move has Jill pull out a bar counter in front of her. Pressing shield will cancel her out of this move. Jill has 3 ingredients she can mix together (Adelhyde, Flanergide, Karmotrine each denoted by a specific symbol and color being red, green, and blue respectively). While this move is active, pressing A mixes in Adelhyde, B mixes in Flanergide, and X mixes in Karmotrine (different controllers would each have a slightly different default setup but it shouldn't be hard to map buttons to any controller). She can make up to 10 different drinks with various combinations of 3, and store up to 3 of them at once. Adelhyde drinks are sweet and tend to focus on self buffing, Flanergide drinks are spicy and tend have an emphasis on physical attacks / grappling, Karmotrine drinks are strong and tend to have a focus on zoning.

Drink List
A + A + A (Blue Fairy)
This drink will explode into a cloud of sparkly blue smoke upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone hit by the cloud will have greatly increased jump height but receive more damage and knockback from all sources. This effect lasts for 10 seconds or until the person under the effect is KO'd. The jump bonus functions similarly to Shulk's jump monado art.

A + A + B (Sugar Rush)
This drink will explode into a cloud of sparkly pink smoke upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone hit by the cloud will have greatly increased speed but receive more damage and knockback from all sources. This effect lasts for 10 seconds or until the person under the effect is KO'd. The speed bonus functions similarly to Shulk's speed monado art.

A + A + X (Moonblast)
This drink will explode into a small burst of sparkling energy upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. This drink travels through the air much faster and further than other drinks (think white pikmin vs normal pikmin). Doesn't do much damage but is an effective zoning tool.

B + B + B (Suplex)
This drink will explode into a burst of stars 3 seconds after striking a surface, or upon contact with an opponent or shield. This move travels through the air much slower than Jill's other drinks. This move is a command grab projectile similar to Steve's Minecart. A large star will carry an opponent forward some distance. They can mash out of this move, and will have a more difficult time mashing out the higher their % is.

B + B + A (Gut Punch)
This drink will travel a much shorter distance than other drinks (think purple pikmin vs other pikmin). Upon contact with a surface, opponent, or shield it will explode dealing heavy shield damage, damage, and knockback. This move will kill at medium %'s but is punishable and somewhat difficult to land.

B + B + X (Marsblast)
This drink will explode into a burst of fire 3 seconds after striking a surface, or upon contact with an opponent or shield. This move travels through the air much slower than Jill's other drinks (think purple pikmin vs regular pikmin) before trapping them in a fire effect similar to PK fire or Holy Water. Punishable and slow, but useful for setting up for kills.

X + X + X (Mercuryblast)
This drink will explode into an icy cloud upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone struck by the explosion will be briefly frozen and take moderate damage and be knocked a short distance away relative to their distance from the center of the explosion. The damage and knockback is similar to the Mii Gunner's grenade launcher move.

X + X + A (Brandtini)
This drink will explode into a cloud of yellowish smoke upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone hit by the cloud will take less damage and knockback from all sources, but also deal less damage and knockback. This effect lasts for 10 seconds or until the person under the effect is KO'd. The jump bonus functions similarly to Shulk's shield monado art.

X + X + B (Cobalt Velvet)
This drink will explode and immediately sink onto any surface it lands on becoming a small red sparkle on the stage. Only upon contact with an opponent or the player will it explode again. This move is a trap similar to C4 or Isabelle Lloyd, but cannot be reactivated manually so it's most similar to Snake's land mine from Brawl.

A + B + X (Zen Star)
This drink will explode into fireworks upon contact with any surface, opponent or shield dealing moderate damage and knockback. After 3 seconds it will explode again at the same location it did initially dealing heavy damage and knockback.

Shield + B (Cycle)
Pressing the special button while shielded will rotate the current drink Jill has lined up without breaking her shield. It functions identically to Olimar down + B without any of extra functions the whistle has.

Neutral B (Drink Up)
This move functions identically to Snake's grenades, except instead of grenades they use Jill's next stored drink. Holding B will have Jill hold the bottle in her hand, pressing shield after holding will have her drop it on the ground beneath her feet, tapping B will have her lob the drink, will smashing B in a direction will have her throw it forward horizontally.

Side + B (Empty Bottle)
This move will throw an empty bottle forwards which looks identical to Jill's neutral B before the drink shatters with the sound of broken glass. Unlike the neutral B, this move does not actually consume one of Jill's drinks. It will deal very minor damage and hitstun, and is mostly used as a fakeout move.

Up + B (On the House)
Holding this move will have Jill charge it by shaking her drink mixer. Releasing it will have Jill open the cap of the mixer releasing its contents downwards and launching her upwards based on how long this move was charged. Think of this like a chargeable version of Greninja's Up B, the liquid inside the drink mixer can also push opponents but it will not damage them.

Tilts
Jab - A simple one, two straight punch with each arm, similar to Snake's but without the roundhouse kick finish
Dtilt - Jill spins a bottle in front of her before catching it (similar to Palutena's dtilt)
Ftilt - A fast swing with a bottle dealing light damage
Utilt - Jill tosses her drink mixer up which spins for a moment before she catches it (similar to Joker's Utilt)
Dash attack - Jill continues her forward momentum with a sliding kick similar to the dtilt of other characters like Cloud and the Belmonts

Aerials
Nair - Jill swings her bottle in a circle (similar to MinMin's Nair)
Fair - Jill drops her bottle in front of her (similar to G&W's bomb fair)
Bair - Jill swings her bottle behind her (Similar to 's bair but with much less range)
Dair - Jill swings her bottle in an arc beneath her (Similar to Lucina's dair but is faster, does not spike and has less range)
Uair - Jill uncaps a bottle and a burst of liquid shoots from it traveling upwards, functions similarly to G&W uair but not multhit

Smash Attacks
Fsmash - Jill swings her bottle forward like a club (similar to Banjo's fsmash)
Dsmash - Jill throws a bottle down in front of her which breaks dealing moderate damage and launching foes away at an angle
Usmash - Jill does an overhead swing with her bottle

Grab/Pummel
Jill's grab range and speed is pretty average.

Pummel - Jill smacks her opponent with a bottle
Fthrow - Jill simply shoves her opponent forward
Uthrow - Jill uncaps her bottle and shoots opponent with liquid pushing them upward
Bthrow - Jill uncaps her bottle and shoots opponent with liquid pushing them backward
Dthrow - Jill tosses her opponent to the ground then smacks them with her bottle launching them upward

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I spent an hour writing up a moveset for Jill from Va11ha11a, but I couldn't find a support threat, and I don't want to make it myself...so I'll just post it here so I don't feel like I wasted my efforts...

Julianne Stringray aka "Jill"

General Playstyle
Her gameplay is somewhat inspired by Invoker from DoTA. She's a very versatile all-rounder with a slight zoning emphasis that has the tools to deal with any situation, but needs to plan ahead and have good matchup knowledge to fully abuse her versatility. The best way to describe her would be a mix of Olimar and Shulk.

Stats
Weight - 96 (Same as Pit)
Air Speed - 1155 (Same as Cloud)
Fall Speed - 1800 (Same as Wolf)
Fast Fall - 1800 (Same as Wolf)
Dash - 1936 (Same as Mario)
Run Speed - 1534 (Same as Link)

Specials
Down + B (Mixology)
Pressing the move has Jill pull out a bar counter in front of her. Pressing shield will cancel her out of this move. Jill has 3 ingredients she can mix together (Adelhyde, Flanergide, Karmotrine each denoted by a specific symbol and color being red, green, and blue respectively). While this move is active, pressing A mixes in Adelhyde, B mixes in Flanergide, and X mixes in Karmotrine (different controllers would each have a slightly different default setup but it shouldn't be hard to map buttons to any controller). She can make up to 10 different drinks with various combinations of 3, and store up to 3 of them at once. Adelhyde drinks are sweet and tend to focus on self buffing, Flanergide drinks are spicy and tend have an emphasis on physical attacks / grappling, Karmotrine drinks are strong and tend to have a focus on zoning.

Drink List
A + A + A (Blue Fairy)
This drink will explode into a cloud of sparkly blue smoke upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone hit by the cloud will have greatly increased jump height but receive more damage and knockback from all sources. This effect lasts for 10 seconds or until the person under the effect is KO'd. The jump bonus functions similarly to Shulk's jump monado art.

A + A + B (Sugar Rush)
This drink will explode into a cloud of sparkly pink smoke upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone hit by the cloud will have greatly increased speed but receive more damage and knockback from all sources. This effect lasts for 10 seconds or until the person under the effect is KO'd. The speed bonus functions similarly to Shulk's speed monado art.

A + A + X (Moonblast)
This drink will explode into a small burst of sparkling energy upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. This drink travels through the air much faster and further than other drinks (think white pikmin vs normal pikmin). Doesn't do much damage but is an effective zoning tool.

B + B + B (Suplex)
This drink will explode into a burst of stars 3 seconds after striking a surface, or upon contact with an opponent or shield. This move travels through the air much slower than Jill's other drinks. This move is a command grab projectile similar to Steve's Minecart. A large star will carry an opponent forward some distance. They can mash out of this move, and will have a more difficult time mashing out the higher their % is.

B + B + A (Gut Punch)
This drink will travel a much shorter distance than other drinks (think purple pikmin vs other pikmin). Upon contact with a surface, opponent, or shield it will explode dealing heavy shield damage, damage, and knockback. This move will kill at medium %'s but is punishable and somewhat difficult to land.

B + B + X (Marsblast)
This drink will explode into a burst of fire 3 seconds after striking a surface, or upon contact with an opponent or shield. This move travels through the air much slower than Jill's other drinks (think purple pikmin vs regular pikmin) before trapping them in a fire effect similar to PK fire or Holy Water. Punishable and slow, but useful for setting up for kills.

X + X + X (Mercuryblast)
This drink will explode into an icy cloud upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone struck by the explosion will be briefly frozen and take moderate damage and be knocked a short distance away relative to their distance from the center of the explosion. The damage and knockback is similar to the Mii Gunner's grenade launcher move.

X + X + A (Brandtini)
This drink will explode into a cloud of yellowish smoke upon contact with any surface, opponent, or shield. Anyone hit by the cloud will take less damage and knockback from all sources, but also deal less damage and knockback. This effect lasts for 10 seconds or until the person under the effect is KO'd. The jump bonus functions similarly to Shulk's shield monado art.

X + X + B (Cobalt Velvet)
This drink will explode and immediately sink onto any surface it lands on becoming a small red sparkle on the stage. Only upon contact with an opponent or the player will it explode again. This move is a trap similar to C4 or Isabelle Lloyd, but cannot be reactivated manually so it's most similar to Snake's land mine from Brawl.

A + B + X (Zen Star)
This drink will explode into fireworks upon contact with any surface, opponent or shield dealing moderate damage and knockback. After 3 seconds it will explode again at the same location it did initially dealing heavy damage and knockback.

Shield + B (Cycle)
Pressing the special button while shielded will rotate the current drink Jill has lined up without breaking her shield. It functions identically to Olimar down + B without any of extra functions the whistle has.

Neutral B (Drink Up)
This move functions identically to Snake's grenades, except instead of grenades they use Jill's next stored drink. Holding B will have Jill hold the bottle in her hand, pressing shield after holding will have her drop it on the ground beneath her feet, tapping B will have her lob the drink, will smashing B in a direction will have her throw it forward horizontally.

Side + B (Empty Bottle)
This move will throw an empty bottle forwards which looks identical to Jill's neutral B before the drink shatters with the sound of broken glass. Unlike the neutral B, this move does not actually consume one of Jill's drinks. It will deal very minor damage and hitstun, and is mostly used as a fakeout move.

Up + B (On the House)
Holding this move will have Jill charge it by shaking her drink mixer. Releasing it will have Jill open the cap of the mixer releasing its contents downwards and launching her upwards based on how long this move was charged. Think of this like a chargeable version of Greninja's Up B, the liquid inside the drink mixer can also push opponents but it will not damage them.

Tilts
Jab - A simple one, two straight punch with each arm, similar to Snake's but without the roundhouse kick finish
Dtilt - Jill spins a bottle in front of her before catching it (similar to Palutena's dtilt)
Ftilt - A fast swing with a bottle dealing light damage
Utilt - Jill tosses her drink mixer up which spins for a moment before she catches it (similar to Joker's Utilt)
Dash attack - Jill continues her forward momentum with a sliding kick similar to the dtilt of other characters like Cloud and the Belmonts

Aerials
Nair - Jill swings her bottle in a circle (similar to MinMin's Nair)
Fair - Jill drops her bottle in front of her (similar to G&W's bomb fair)
Bair - Jill swings her bottle behind her (Similar to 's bair but with much less range)
Dair - Jill swings her bottle in an arc beneath her (Similar to Lucina's dair but is faster, does not spike and has less range)
Uair - Jill uncaps a bottle and a burst of liquid shoots from it traveling upwards, functions similarly to G&W uair but not multhit

Smash Attacks
Fsmash - Jill swings her bottle forward like a club (similar to Banjo's fsmash)
Dsmash - Jill throws a bottle down in front of her which breaks dealing moderate damage and launching foes away at an angle
Usmash - Jill does an overhead swing with her bottle

Grab/Pummel
Jill's grab range and speed is pretty average.

Pummel - Jill smacks her opponent with a bottle
Fthrow - Jill simply shoves her opponent forward
Uthrow - Jill uncaps her bottle and shoots opponent with liquid pushing them upward
Bthrow - Jill uncaps her bottle and shoots opponent with liquid pushing them backward
Dthrow - Jill tosses her opponent to the ground then smacks them with her bottle launching them upward
You mean this Jill?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well

If the Glitch does imply Reimu is in, there are some statements/Questions I have

-Vergeben Deconfirm theory would not be real, since Reimu was on the list

-What would Reimu's DLC Tournament be? A Projectile based tourney would have been perfect, but they recently just did that one. Any ideas for what she would have

-A May reveal would seem more likely, if CP10 is getting revealed solo. I don't think they ever have Reimu as a Sole E3/June reveal. Min Min is one thing, but I can't see it just being Reimu as the sole reveal. Yes

-I really hope they balance her correctly. Just from her hypothetical design she's be like Jigglypuff with Projectiles. does not sound fun to fight against if not balanced correctly

Pillow

Smash Lord

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well

If the Glitch does imply Reimu is in, there are some statements/Questions I have

-What would Reimu's DLC Tournament be? A Projectile based tourney would have been perfect, but they recently just did that one. Any ideas for what she would have

-A May reveal would seem more likely, if CP10 is getting revealed solo. I don't think they ever have Reimu as a Sole E3/June reveal. Min Min is one thing, but I can't see it just being Reimu as the sole reveal. Yes

-I really hope they balance her correctly. Just from her hypothetical design she's be like Jigglypuff with Projectiles. does not sound fun to fight against if not balanced correctly
Say doesn’t the next Touhou game actually release in May? There’s gonna be a demo in late March at Reitaisai

Shroob

Sup?
Well

Vergeben deconfirm theory isn't real if you're talking about CP5's debacle.

Nintendo tightened down HARD on Smash after Terry's flub, it speaks volumes that Byleth only leaked 5 minutes before their presentation.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't get it...
Back in like 2005, there was an OP Ronald mod for a fighting game called Mugen (based on Dio), and a version of a Touhou song featuring Ronald. A Rivals of Aether mod brought them back, and the last few Alpharad Deluxe videos have been him and Jo trying to beat him.

SKX31

Smash Master
Way ahead of you by 13 years

It's crazy to look back and remember that vid: 17 / 18 year old me thought that the song was a meme song and not connected to a video game series.

Also, where are those old 5 stars? :p (Nah seriously, unlike YouTubes many, many revamps that didn't make much sense or were only to push the algorithm, replacing the stars with likes made sense since people only 1 or 5 starred YouTube vids anyway.)

Back in like 2005, there was an OP Ronald mod for a fighting game called Mugen (based on Dio), and a version of a Touhou song featuring Ronald. A Rivals of Aether mod brought them back, and the last few Alpharad Deluxe videos have been him and Jo trying to beat him.
Alpharad did (re)discover the RoA version (not realizing that he was "originally" a Mugen character) with this video a year ago:

Shroob

Sup?
U.N,Owen was her? is a lot like Megalovania.

It's a song that kinda extends past its own game to the point of people recognizing it even if they've never played the game it's from. I know soo many people who've never played/have no interest in Touhou but know what U.N.Owen is.

Hell, Undertale even has a few Touhou references in it to loop it back around.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Aaaand, here's where I would try to go after Smash Ultimate.

View attachment 306343

So, you might notice I've made some bold choices with this one. Uh, I think cutting Mario is going to be unpopular, but really, he's just there due to legacy. I don't think he's pulling his weight.

...Jokes aside, this is a villains-only roster. I've said this a few times in here, but I think a themed roster like this makes cuts sting way less while leaving the door open for a much wider array of newcomers.

This is my first time actually sitting down and making a roster for this, so I'd love feedback.
include von karma.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
U.N,Owen was her? is a lot like Megalovania.

It's a song that kinda extends past its own game to the point of people recognizing it even if they've never played the game it's from. I know soo many people who've never played/have no interest in Touhou but know what U.N.Owen is.

Hell, Undertale even has a few Touhou references in it to loop it back around.
And Megalovania was inspired by a song from Brandish, Gadobadorrer, and that song appeared in Ys vs Trails in The Sky, and that game had more characters from Trails than from Ys. So from what I can gather the last 2 characters are Reimu and Estelle. The Best Timeline:4pacman:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And Megalovania was inspired by a song from Brandish, Gadobadorrer, and that song appeared in Ys vs Trails in The Sky, and that game had more characters from Trails than from Ys. So from what I can gather the last 2 characters are Reimu and Estelle. The Best Timeline:4pacman:
Gadobadorrer will always be the ultimate flex when explaining Falcom's impact just because of the sheer immeasurable power of being the OG Megalovania

Though, technically speaking, Ys and Trails' total character count is equal. Trails has one more playable character, but Ys has one more support character. If we really wanna stretch it, Ys actually has four more characters if we're counting Feena and Reah separately, as well as Ernst's (And later Geis') three homunculi fairies. So there :4pacman:

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It could be about all female character tournament considering Touhou main cast are mostly female or tournament for magic/PSI/psychic user considering that all the inhabitant of Gensokyo have some sort of magical power and spell card.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Gadobadorrer will always be the ultimate flex when explaining Falcom's impact just because of the sheer immeasurable power of being the OG Megalovania

Though, technically speaking, Ys and Trails' total character count is equal. Trails has one more playable character, but Ys has one more support character. If we really wanna stretch it, Ys actually has four more characters if we're counting Feena and Reah separately, as well as Ernst's (And later Geis') three homunculi fairies. So there :4pacman:
The Gurumins are a support and there are more Gurumins then there are Characters on both sides so really, Gurumin wins in the end

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm late, but I'm gonna bite and do my "essentials" or cut-down roster, even if I don't really dig the idea of such.

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultyoshi::ultwario:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultsheik::ultganondorf:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:
:ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw:
:ultpit::ultolimar::ultrob:
:ultvillager::ultlittlemac::ultmiifighters::ultshulk::ultinkling:
:ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsnake::ultsimon::ultcloud::ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ult_terry::ultsteve:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Why are we talking about Reimu? I'm going to have to ask you all to not go around instilling hope within this ol' shell.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Why are we talking about Reimu? I'm going to have to ask you all to not go around instilling hope within this ol' shell.
Remember Glitch Theory? Well, there's a glitch that involves grazing, and now we're talking about Reimu. I don't know what happened inbetween.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom