• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Suppose your right I guess. I just got triggered being the dog lover I am and really emotional about them.
I fully get ya. It's tasteless and not remotely funny. But it's not supposed to be funny. It's supposed to be a take that as theories. -_-

Pretty unnecessary, imo, but eh. Sometimes it's best to ignore stuff like this~

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Yeah, I really don't get why people suddenly hyper focus on a glitch every time one presents itself when, for starters, they've been absolutely nothing this entire cycle, and more importantly, Smash is a huge game with a ton of moving parts and small changes to things can cause all kinds of issues. I mean changing one value or one line of code for some completely unrelated thing can have an impact way down the line and create a glitch like we see with specific characters. Hell, the specific system you're playing on could have an issue that causes something to glitch or a particular brand of SD card could cause glitches. There's just so so so many things that could cause glitches.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Aaaand, here's where I would try to go after Smash Ultimate.

Super Smash Villains.png

So, you might notice I've made some bold choices with this one. Uh, I think cutting Mario is going to be unpopular, but really, he's just there due to legacy. I don't think he's pulling his weight.

...Jokes aside, this is a villains-only roster. I've said this a few times in here, but I think a themed roster like this makes cuts sting way less while leaving the door open for a much wider array of newcomers.

This is my first time actually sitting down and making a roster for this, so I'd love feedback.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
But yeah, that's an odd glitch if nothing else.

Grazing projectiles IS a core mechanic in Touhou, but it IS a glitch, so I'm not looking too deep into it.
Graze is also a visual effect I've seen on every ****ing fighter, it only pops up when you barely whiffed a move so I don't get why people go "HOLY **** THIS HAS TO MEAN SOMETHING" every time an in game visual effect goes off
Would say though, Reimu would 100% be the Terry of the pass.

AKA

"Here's like 40 ****ing songs lul."
ngl that old doujin leak or whatever it was that listed a bunch of songs did make me go from "Reimu would be neat" to "Reimu would be ****ing sick lmao"
Yeah, I really don't get why people suddenly hyper focus on a glitch every time one presents itself when, for starters, they've been absolutely nothing this entire cycle, and more importantly, Smash is a huge game with a ton of moving parts and small changes to things can cause all kinds of issues. I mean changing one value or one line of code for some completely unrelated thing can have an impact way down the line and create a glitch like we see with specific characters. Hell, the specific system you're playing on could have an issue that causes something to glitch or a particular brand of SD card could cause glitches. There's just so so so many things that could cause glitches.
So what you're saying is that me glitching through the floor on Doom 2016's Switch port wasn't a hint at Doom Slayer? But Sonic 06 must have been a hint for Brawl I tell you!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

View attachment 306343

So, you might notice I've made some bold choices with this one. Uh, I think cutting Mario is going to be unpopular, but really, he's just there due to legacy. I don't think he's pulling his weight.

...Jokes aside, this is a villains-only roster. I've said this a few times in here, but I think a themed roster like this makes cuts sting way less while leaving the door open for a much wider array of newcomers.

This is my first time actually sitting down and making a roster for this, so I'd love feedback.
More female villains perhaps? Junko Enoshima? T-elos? Dr. Coyle?

I’m also shipping Sephiroth with T-elos AND NONE OF YOU CAN STOP ME

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

View attachment 306343

Slime's a villain? Or is he just there as a joke?

Also King K. RoolxMedusa, I'd dig this roster. :)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Then again I've never played Dragon Quest. I thought they were in the same vain as like moogles or something being friendly.
Most are enemies but you do find NPCs of the Slimes you can talk to. They have a verbal tic that makes them constantly slurp or add the word Goo too

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then again I've never played Dragon Quest. I thought they were in the same vain as like moogles or something being friendly.
They actually sometimes are good guys in various games. One in Dragon Quest IV is a nice Slime. They're also the heroic partner in Dragon Quest Monsters 1 and 2 in general(Joker I don't know if that's the case), and there's a Slime named Rocket Slime(who is a normal Slime, not a different subspecies) in his own game.

Generally, "villain" is a bit off. That's a more specific story role where they're designed to fight the hero of the game. Random encounters aren't actual villains in the story. They're just antagonist(you can have a Villain Protagonist, so they are different meanings).

Slime isn't an actual villain, but it's still an enemy enough to easily be thrown on a roster. Being the mascot, it's arguably a better choice than any actual game villain(like Baramos).

Ivander

Smash Legend
Slimes are a regular mook. They are, for the most part, the first enemy you face in the games. That said, in some games, they can also be captured and used as allies ala Pokemon and there is also the Rocket Slime games that have a Slime as the main hero.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

View attachment 306343

I mean, Meta Knight and Dedede aren't really villains but I think it's fine they're there, and I think Giovanni should be there too

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Would say though, Reimu would 100% be the Terry of the pass.

AKA

"Here's like 40 ****ing songs lul."
If somehow people fail to make Reimu brass band memes after she's added with all those songs with Touhou synth horns, I'm gonna be disappointed with the Smash fanbase. :roll:

And real talk, though: the glitch has a 99.9% chance of being nothing burger, but if it was indeed related to Touhou's grazing mechanic: do you think it would be the same as the fighting games? I find it interesting to think about, since ZUN has already shown how he'd adapt that mechanic into a fighting game and Sakurai likes to consult with the original devs/creators.

Obligatory SharkLord SharkLord tag.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, Meta Knight and Dedede aren't really villains, and I think Giovanni should be there too
I'd say it depends if they mean "was a villain in a game" or overall is a villain in the series.

If the former, MK and DDD are logical. If latter, they don't fit that well(Dark Matter does, though). Wario also fits the first design well, being a legit Villain at first(and among those who turned good, shows signs of a lot more antagonism than others. MK and DDD actually outright team up with Kirby quite often. Wario rarely helps out and would rather cause trouble, since he's in it for his own goals. He's on the villain side in even the SSE, after all. King Dedede was pretending to be a villain, in comparison. It's funny too, cause Wario is specifically from his own franchise where he isn't an antagonist to Mario. WarioWare isn't like Wario Land, which started off with Wario as the actual villain before becoming the hero in the next game. MK and DDD were core villain roles at least once in the series they're from. Ironic).

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
More female villains perhaps? Junko Enoshima? T-elos? Dr. Coyle?
Yeah, I was looking at female villains at one point, but I felt like none of them were a good fit. Of the ones you mentioned:
  • Danganronpa is sufficiently distant from Nintendo for me to regard it as an odd base-game pick. And Junko's a spoiler, anyhow. I would probably pick Monokuma for DLC, though.
  • I was looking for Xeno villains - well, Xenoblade villains, but still. T-elos crossed my mind, but if KOS-MOS felt like a bit of an out-there pick, I figured T-elos felt a bit too strange.
  • Dr. Coyle could definitely differentiate herself from Min Min, but her primary way of doing that is by flying. When the only ARMS character has already drawn ire for having a lot of range, I felt flying would only lead to an even campier playstyle.
They're enemies, so if Piranha Plant counts, so does Slime. Admittedly, this is more of a "Super Smash Antagonists" than a "Super Smash Villains"...

yeq

Smash Cadet
I mean, Meta Knight and Dedede aren't really villains, and I think Giovanni should be there too
mario shouldnt be in smash because hes to obscure imo a character like pencil case from paper mario oragami king would make more sense

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Other fanbases when a glitch occurs - "Oh wow look how funny this is!"

Smash fanbase: - "This is clearly hinting at a character."
To be fair, this is a step up from, "Who could that furniture be hinting at?" and, "Okay, so which characters have an official figure?"

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair, this is a step up from, "Who could that furniture be hinting at?" and, "Okay, so which characters have an official figure?"
Don't forget:

"I will now calculate the amount of remaining characters using math based on the frequency of blog posts.... what do you mean that the number can change? No it can't, my math says it won't."

Blog theory is the biggest :drohmy:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If somehow people fail to make Reimu brass band memes after she's added with all those songs with Touhou synth horns, I'm gonna be disappointed with the Smash fanbase. :roll:

And real talk, though: the glitch has a 99.9% chance of being nothing burger, but if it was indeed related to Touhou's grazing mechanic: do you think it would be the same as the fighting games? I find it interesting to think about, since ZUN has already shown how he'd adapt that mechanic into a fighting game and Sakurai likes to consult with the original devs/creators.

Wait the fighters have Graze as a mechanic? How the hell does that work? My only Touhou experience is like 10 minutes of I think 6 at a friend and Luna Nights. Sidenote, Luna Nights handled it in a cool way, you'd restore HP and MP when moves would graze, unless you stopped time, because then it'd only get your MP back, which pushes players to not camp and safely toss knives

Shroob

Sup?
Wait the fighters have Graze as a mechanic? How the hell does that work? My only Touhou experience is like 10 minutes of I think 6 at a friend and Luna Nights. Sidenote, Luna Nights handled it in a cool way, you'd restore HP and MP when moves would graze, unless you stopped time, because then it'd only get your MP back, which pushes players to not camp and safely toss knives
Quite literally, exactly like this glitch, actually.

Dashing lets you pass through projectiles briefly, albeit it's not a "Forever" invincibility, just a bit.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They're enemies, so if Piranha Plant counts, so does Slime. Admittedly, this is more of a "Super Smash Antagonists" than a "Super Smash Villains"...
PP wasn't added as a "villain", to clarify. It was added cause it wasn't a Hero. It's an antagonist, not a villain.

As I noted in a previous post, Villain does not mean Antagonist. Likewise, Hero does not mean Protagonist. They're all different things. Villain Protagonists and Hero Antagonists are things. Take Sonic Adventure 2's Dark Story. Shadow, Eggman, and Rouge are all Villain Protagonists during that, while Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails are Hero Antagonists.

It's just a regular Antagonist, but as you also said, this is less a villain roster and more an antagonist roster~

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
I'd say it depends if they mean "was a villain in a game" or overall is a villain in the series.

If the former, MK and DDD are logical. If latter, they don't fit that well(Dark Matter does, though). Wario also fits the first design well, being a legit Villain at first(and among those who turned good, shows signs of a lot more antagonism than others. MK and DDD actually outright team up with Kirby quite often. Wario rarely helps out and would rather cause trouble, since he's in it for his own goals. He's on the villain side in even the SSE, after all. King Dedede was pretending to be a villain, in comparison. It's funny too, cause Wario is specifically from his own franchise where he isn't an antagonist to Mario. WarioWare isn't like Wario Land, which started off with Wario as the actual villain before becoming the hero in the next game. MK and DDD were core villain roles at least once in the series they're from. Ironic).
Yeah, I'm aware King Dedede and Meta Knight aren't really villains at this point in the series. Or any point in the series since like fifteen years ago. I included them because I felt like people would expect to see them on the roster. Mewtwo's on for the same reason.

In comparison, I don't think Wario's villainous reputation has stuck all that well with the public. I mean, most people are aware he's a jerk, but it rarely seems people are under the impression he's a villain.

As for Giovanni: I thought about Meowth (or a Team Rocket concept that would basically be Meowth plus Jesse and James incorporated in some way that allows them to be smashed off the screen), but I didn't want to add yet another Gen 1 Pokemon.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
FR if Reimu comes out swinging as CP10, no one'll see it coming just due to how ???????? it'll be for the west.
I want to say I saw it coming, but honestly? I'm not sure what to think of Reimu's chances. She-Nay, the Touhou Project as a franchise-Is in a very unique and unorthodox situation. It's available worldwide thanks to Steam, but it needs fan translations. It's run by one guy who actively encourages fanworks. The fangames are allowed to be sold on platforms like the Switch and Steam, despite being, y'know, fangames. So on, and so forth. There isn't any other situations like it, and because of that Reimu's probably the one of the biggest wild cards in speculation.

I feel like Sakurai would try to adapt the mainline games' mechanics rather than directly lifting from the fighters, though I wouldn't put it past him to have some animations from the fighting games. Maybe he'd make it like the shield used by the Links and Heroes, where standing, walking, and crouching lets projectiles pass through her. Alternatively, maybe he could limit it to the Focusing, and make that a special; Maybe a neutral or up special where Reimu slows to a crawl when holding the button in exchange for free movement and projectile immunity, or a down special that makes it act like a limited stance change. Shoot-em-ups and platform fighters are pretty different genres, so there's a lot of ways it could work.
Just like in the video, like Shroob Shroob said. Dashing allows you to pass through projectiles and, in the case of some weaker ones, destroy them.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well to entertain this new glitch new theory. It could be a character that has air dashes. So a fighting game character that has dashing mechanics.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I'm aware King Dedede and Meta Knight aren't really villains at this point in the series. Or any point in the series since like fifteen years ago. I included them because I felt like people would expect to see them on the roster. Mewtwo's on for the same reason.

In comparison, I don't think Wario's villainous reputation has stuck all that well with the public. I mean, most people are aware he's a jerk, but it rarely seems people are under the impression he's a villain.

As for Giovanni: I thought about Meowth (or a Team Rocket concept that would basically be Meowth plus Jesse and James incorporated in some way that allows them to be smashed off the screen), but I didn't want to add yet another Gen 1 Pokemon.
Giovanni turned good in the games, if I remember right, though? Meowth never did in the anime, so he'd fit better. JJ&M are still evil. It helps they're Nintendo characters and have game appearances, so.

Anyway, that's fair. Don't want to overdo one generation of games and all~

An issue with Pokemon is it has few core antagonists/villains outside of the Team characters. Well, the Manga too, but still. So it's hard to do much with them as is. Though there's enough spin-offs you could justify another Gen. I think there's a Gen III villain thanks to the Mystery Dungeon games, at least, if you really want another Pokemon antagonist/villain?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Yeah, I was looking at female villains at one point, but I felt like none of them were a good fit. Of the ones you mentioned:
  • Danganronpa is sufficiently distant from Nintendo for me to regard it as an odd base-game pick. And Junko's a spoiler, anyhow. I would probably pick Monokuma for DLC, though.
  • I was looking for Xeno villains - well, Xenoblade villains, but still. T-elos crossed my mind, but if KOS-MOS felt like a bit of an out-there pick, I figured T-elos felt a bit too strange.
  • Dr. Coyle could definitely differentiate herself from Min Min, but her primary way of doing that is by flying. When the only ARMS character has already drawn ire for having a lot of range, I felt flying would only lead to an even campier playstyle.

I feel like we can't have Junko in Smash in other form other than using her Fashionista persona or Monokuma but who am I kidding Sakurai loves spoiler. Also I feel like with Spike Chunsoft alone have worked with Nintendo there's not really any boundaries to be made, I mean for god sake Master Chief hasn't even appear on a Nintendo console and yet the support for him is really big.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom