• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
hey uh

i was thinking about something

the ballot, it said for future smash games right? plural?
Yes, yes it did.

That was kind of the point. It gives them stuff to consider for later games in general~ Obviously it can't cover all newcomers(I.E. Joker), but it definitely helps.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If you mean the one from Smash 4's era, then that's probably true; after all, in Ultimate we got Ridley and K. Rool (two highly-requested characters I suspect were high on the Ballot).
i meant like

those same ballot picks could be kept into consideration for smash 6 onward, as well as ppl who scored decently that didn't make it this time around

Otoad64

Smash Lord
:ultmario::ultlink::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultpikachu:

That'll be $60.
that is a joke, right?
Yeah, after some thinking, I'm starting to think we should cut Fox.
I mean Yoshi, DK, Fox and maybe Samus because Yoshi's more recognizable are the only ones you can even consider cutting imo
That's tricky to do. I made a reboot roster with an extremely high number of newcomers awhile back, and people were really upset with it. I do think that's the best route for a reboot, because you need some sort of hook. Casuals won't be pumped to play a game with fewer characters, but now DK throws barrels..
Of course, that's a factor I didn't really bother to implement into my conservative take but it's also one that's difficult to call. Who knows when the next Smash will come out, which other characters will be relevant (or irrelevant) by then, which new IPs will be established...

Whatever the circumstances though, I think there are a few newcomers who make sense regardless of the context. Tom Nook and Octoling seem like no brainers to expand on significant modern Nintendo series with bright futures, and I'd say we could start expanding on returning third parties with characters like Chun-Li and Tails too (who will obviously continue to be significant well into the future).
so, here's my 40 character roster with 5 of the characters replaced with newcomers
40 char Roster with newcomers.png

Rillaboom is a stand in for a new Pokemon, and while I would prefer Toad, Waluigi is a much needed crowdpleaser

Shroob

Sup?
So do the Sophia and Arthur spirit actually make use of the "Gift" tab?

Everything that I've seen just has them pop up when you boot up the game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
so, here's my 40 character roster with 5 of the characters replaced with newcomers
40 char Roster with newcomers.png
I respect the attempt, but isn't cutting Min Min for another Switch IP kind of counterintuitive? I feel like Nintendo definitely has some plans for ARMS in the future - they definitely also do for Astral Chain (which they cared enough to buy out) and Ring Fit (which has sold amazingly), but yeah.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So do the Sophia and Arthur spirit actually make use of the "Gift" tab?

Everything that I've seen just has them pop up when you boot up the game.
When I booted up the game, I got a "News" screen that popped up for Arthur's spirit with a "Claim Gift" button.
Maybe if I didn't click it immediately, it might have gone to the Gift tab so I could claim it later.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
that is a joke, right?

I mean Yoshi, DK, Fox and maybe Samus because Yoshi's more recognizable are the only ones you can even consider cutting imo

View attachment 306303
Rillaboom is a stand in for a new Pokemon, and while I would prefer Toad, Waluigi is a much needed crowdpleaser
To be honest I don’t think we see meta knight get replaced with BWD and jigglypuff would go before greninja in my opinion.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I respect the attempt, but isn't cutting Min Min for another Switch IP kind of counterintuitive? I feel like Nintendo definitely has some plans for ARMS in the future - they definitely also do for Astral Chain (which they cared enough to buy out) and Ring Fit (which has sold amazingly), but yeah.
What if they replace her with Spring Man tho for Smash 6?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What if they replace her with Spring Man tho for Smash 6?
Why would they do that? If ARMS gets a sequel and it's successful enough / Spring Man plays a prominent enough role to cement himself as the "main character" then they can just add him in addition to Min Min. I don't see Min Min's popularity dipping anytime soon, either.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
the way I see it, is they have the same merits as Min Min, but they're also not in Smash, so they get in so we can have newcomers

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Why would they do that? If ARMS gets a sequel and it's successful enough / Spring Man plays a prominent enough role to cement himself as the "main character" then they can just add him in addition to Min Min. I don't see Min Min's popularity dipping anytime soon, either.
Yeah. She's the Morrigan of the series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that is a joke, right?

View attachment 306303
Ignoring the lack of the all important Villager, Waluigi is not a Wario character in any shape or form. He'd be after Bowser if you're specifically putting characters in their franchises.

Interesting roster, otherwise. Though I'd remove Jigglypuff unless you're doing a hard OG12 rule. Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja, or Incineroar are more logical choices. I can't see Sheik ever getting cut either, but at least she's not a transformation rule, so fair enough.

...Huh, I didn't realize Roster Maker doesn't even use Olimar more proper name, but Pikmin & Olimar is a bit difficult to fit in, so that's somewhat justified. It should say P. & Olimar instead? I'll have to work on the icon, I guess, so it's actually accurate name-wise.

I don't see Mii Fighters or especially Meta Knight being removed. More than likely Meta Knight would be there instead of Dee, if they're having 3 characters for Kirby. It's not bad overall, though.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
:ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultpeach: :ultbowser: :ultyoshi: :ultwario: :ultlink: :ultzelda: :ultganondorf: :ultpikachu:
:ultmewtwo: :ultcharizard: :ultgreninja: :ultlucario: :ultjigglypuff: :ultdk: :ultdiddy: :ultkrool: :ultsamus: :ultridley:
:ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: :ultmetaknight: :ultfox: :ultness: :ultfalcon: :ultmarth: :ultrobin: :ultbylethf: :ultgnw:
:ultpit: :ultrob: :ultolimar: :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: :ultshulk: :ultpyra: :ultduckhunt: :ultinkling: :ultminmin

:ultbayonetta: :ultsonic: :ultpacman: :ultsteve: :ulthero: :ultryu: :ultmegaman: :ultcloud:

here's my own veteran roster of smash 6.
honestly, while I would prioritize the Climbers to Duck Hunt, I have no real objections
Ignoring the lack of the all important Villager, Waluigi is not a Wario character in any shape or form. He'd be after Bowser if you're specifically putting characters in their franchises.

Interesting roster, otherwise. Though I'd remove Jigglypuff unless you're doing a hard OG12 rule. Mewtwo, Lucario, Greninja, or Incineroar are more logical choices. I can't see Sheik ever getting cut either, but at least she's not a transformation rule, so fair enough.

...Huh, I didn't realize Roster Maker doesn't even use Olimar more proper name, but Pikmin & Olimar is a bit difficult to fit in, so that's somewhat justified. It should say P. & Olimar instead? I'll have to work on the icon, I guess, so it's actually accurate name-wise.

I don't see Mii Fighters or especially Meta Knight being removed. More than likely Meta Knight would be there instead of Dee, if they're having 3 characters for Kirby. It's not bad overall, though.
I know Waluigi isn't a Wario character, put it just looks weird to have him not next to Wario

I was doing a hard og 12 rule

it does have Pikmin & Olimar, they just also have Olimar by himself
IconCaptain Olimar.png
IconPikmin & Captain Olimar.png

and while Meta Knight probably would be in over Dee, I feel like it isn't ludicrous to prioritze Dee over him

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultpeach: :ultbowser: :ultyoshi: :ultwario: :ultlink: :ultzelda: :ultganondorf: :ultpikachu:
:ultmewtwo: :ultcharizard: :ultgreninja: :ultlucario: :ultjigglypuff: :ultdk: :ultdiddy: :ultkrool: :ultsamus: :ultridley:
:ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: :ultmetaknight: :ultfox: :ultness: :ultfalcon: :ultmarth: :ultrobin: :ultbylethf: :ultgnw:
:ultpit: :ultrob: :ultolimar: :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: :ultshulk: :ultpyra: :ultduckhunt: :ultinkling: :ultminmin

:ultbayonetta: :ultsonic: :ultpacman: :ultsteve: :ulthero: :ultryu: :ultmegaman: :ultcloud:

here's my own veteran roster of smash 6.

I'd be especially upset to see Little Mac cut, but this roster has pretty colors so I still like it.

For real though, Mac is in a pretty weird place huh? He's not a retro character, but he's not a "modern" character either. He hasn't been around long enough to cement himself as a smaller mainstay like Ness, Falcon or Pit so his future remains uncertain. Smash hasn't treated Punch-Out the best, it's not particularly noteworthy in Japan, so his cut wouldn't be the most surprising thing in the world.

But Punch-Out is also a series with three console games under its belt and two arcade games, with a deep legacy. Mac was one of the most anticipated newcomers for Smash 4 and remains a popular pick for many players regardless of his polarizing playstyle. And he's a boxer, a notable archetype that would otherwise be missing from the roster.

I could see either case for it, but it would crush me to see him gone.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
:ultmario::ultluigi:
here's your reboot roster

we must distill super smash bros. to its namesake: a game whose name is a play on "super mario bros.". there's too many not-mario bros. on its roster.
The only NPC in that game?:ultdoc: , who YEETs people off stage instead of actually giving them medical attention.

To be honest I don’t think we see meta knight get replaced with BWD
Oka-

and jigglypuff would go before greninja in my opinion.
My counterargument is just going to be this:

hungry baxs.png

No. Super serious! This is the direction Nintendo will take Smash Bros! We're all doomed!
Where's "TIME TO SPLIT!" when you need him?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
See, this is why it’s not a wise idea to start cutting again right away. All these characters have significance for at least one person. Like they get attached, y’know. Not to mention YL and Pichu are back after TWO games. I’m sure several were happy about that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
honestly, while I would prioritize the Climbers to Duck Hunt, I have no real objections

I know Waluigi isn't a Wario character, put it just looks weird to have him not next to Wario

I was doing a hard og 12 rule

it does have Pikmin & Olimar, they just also have Olimar by himself
View attachment 306308View attachment 306309

and while Meta Knight probably would be in over Dee, I feel like it isn't ludicrous to prioritze Dee over him
Ah. I have an older style. But at least they have the correct one. I do feel Dee had no chance over Meta Knight. He's nowhere near as important. He's the 4th character, and very important, but not in the same position. Ironic too, since MK is often a character who is distant/less playable, but Smash isn't just about "who is playable". XD

Anyway, Waluigi should be before Wario, but that's assuming Yoshi is being treated as his own series or just mixed up like in Smash 4. Waluigi shouldn't be in a position where he looks like a Wario character.

Smash 4 at least did it enough by debut where it works, so Waluigi going right after Yoshi still works. Wario is his own series entirely(and not very tied to Super Mario), so...

Man, sometimes I hate the fact we can't rearrange the roster beyond echo stacking...

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Made a list with 51 veterans. The exact amount of characters there were in base game 4 total

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultpyra::ultinkling::ultminmin:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ulthero::ultsteve:

I made sure at least one rep from every first party to ever get a smash character is here. The extra ones got in by a case by case basis.

As for the third parties, I went for what I'd consider the essentials. Some of the first characters/franchises people think of when they think video games

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
See, this is why it’s not a wise idea to start cutting again right away. All these characters have significance for at least one person. Like they get attached, y’know. Not to mention YL and Pichu are back after TWO games. I’m sure several were happy about that.
well then we can keep YL and Pichu then!:4pacman:
44 char Roster.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well then we can keep YL and Pichu then!:4pacman:
View attachment 306314
You couldn't even jokingly throw the better Olimar name in? D:

But seriously, every character has their fans. Young Link and Pichu are honestly awesome and I was very happy with the return.

...I'd love to keep all.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
In terms of move customization, what if we had something that’s smaller in scale but larger in significance (so, fewer options per character, but each option is very distinct?)

For example, in post patch Street Fighter V, each character has only two moves that are customizable, and each of these two moves has only two variations. However, each of the two variations are completely unique moves.

(The biggest thing, though, is that any regular character customization needs to be easily done from the character select screen and also needs to be standard for all modes, which is important for both casual and competitive play.)

Otoad64

Smash Lord

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
My counterargument is just going to be this:
Are you sure it's a wise idea to reward Hbox, when he has done such horrible acts?

Pillow

Smash Lord
It really helps that the 2 feel really great to play, despite no significant changes to their movesets. They move fast and animate well and just feel all around smooth.

That said, I would be okay to see characters like Pichu go in a future game if cuts were needed, despite him being one of my mains and overall favorite to play character in Ultimate. It's just a natural cut relative to a lot of the rest of the cast.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah I don't know why but Steve and Banjo seem like a package deal

personally I just prefer the look of the solo Olimar icon
View attachment 306315
Okay, yeah, the icon itself is kind of bleh. I get what you mean. It doesn't flow that well. Hmm. Maybe another one can be made that fits the other large heads, but also properly shows the Pikmin?

...I should actually finish up a joke roster I made(I did a ton of icons myself).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
:ultmario::ultluigi:
here's your reboot roster

we must distill super smash bros. to its essence: a game whose name is a play on "super mario bros.". there's too many not-mario bros. on its roster.
I remember when I was a kid, I always thought it was so weird that Luigi had to be unlocked in the first three Smash games, especially when he got second billing in pretty much all of the Mario spin offs.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Man it'd be soul crushing for Steve to come back with no Banjo in sight
I was gonna mention that too - Banjo and Steve strikes me as similar to a Mega Man and Ryu deal.

You have the fan-favorite character who everyone was begging for, and then the bigger / active and more directly profitable series for the company in question. Microsoft was extremely willing to bring Banjo to Smash and hell, I think the fact that he technically came before Steve is a testament to that. I can't imagine Banjo would be that expensive of a character to land, and he's simple and easy to implement.

Relevant? Maybe not in the most objective sense, but Banjo will always be relevant to Nintendo history and to Smash. If he ever leaves people will just beg for him to return all over again. Smash isn't all about what's new and hot anyway.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I like playing as Hero and Steve a lot, and I'd be sad if they were to be cut, but I'd be OK. There will be new coil characters to play, and they'll always be in Ultimate. It'll also make it even more hype when they eventually return in a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom