• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash Run would still suck unless it actually played like the Kirby Air Ride wannabe it was meant to be tbh.

One of the best parts of playing City Trial in Kirby's Air Ride was randomly encountering your opponent and either calling total truce, or sabotaging them for your own benefit, with the risk of them being way stronger than you anticipated.

Smash Run NEEDS to add that player interaction, or else it's just unga-bunga mobs for 2~ minutes and then a random event match.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
This is what I think Smash 6's roster will look like.
I get that it's a doomer roster, but I don't think cutting Kirby of all characters from Smash is within the realm of possibility. Samus either.

Metroid Prime 4 is on the horizon, so it's not like Metroid wouldn't be profitable for them. And Kirby is still a merchandising powerhouse. So even if we're coming at this like "Nintendo will only keep its most relevant / profitable series" the roster ultimately falls flat. Seems like a bit of an egregious amount of Fire Emblem to keep around too if you're not bothering to bring back series like Kirby or Donkey Kong which are equal or larger in size...

Wait, you cut Donkey Kong too? I just noticed that, lmao. Even if you aren't convinced Nintendo cares about DKC, he's still a part of the core Mario cast who appears in every single spinoff. Why the hell would he go anywhere, even in the MOST conservative of rosters?

...No comments on my other points? Like the lack of Steve?
I don't feel confident saying that any of Ultimate's new third parties are mainstays yet. We've added so many and obviously it's going to be hard to maintain that moving forward. Steve is probably likely to return, and I'd say Banjo is too, but I can't say that quite as confidently as the ones I included. I understand how huge Minecraft is and that's a strong case in its own right, but seeing how Steve also took a lot of additional effort to implement I think there's a variable for getting cut if it demands too much dev time (after all, for DLC they have the liberty of focusing on only a couple characters at a time).

I feel weird arguing about this kind of stuff though, because I think there's plenty of reason to bring Steve back. He's probably one of the most directly profitable characters on the roster, and among the most famous too. Minecraft is a big part of gaming history and Microsoft is tight with Nintendo. I just hesitate to say he's a "lock" in the same way I would Sonic, Pac-Man or the Capcom crew.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Again, Villager will not be cut. I explained it up above. They're the core character. Zero chance in hell of being removed. Isabelle does not have priority over him, just as Tom Nook didn't. The character is staying.

And I missed those two. Thanks for bringing it up.
this isn't meant to be too realistic, this is more what I would do, and I would prioritze Isabelle over Villager
Having a generational spread doesn't mean very much to me. Mewtwo is a very unique character and one of the most popular and recognizable characters from his series. He originated in Gen 1, but he's been consistently relevant in multiple other generations including Greninja's home generation of Gen 6 (where he was pretty much THE Mega Evolution). I get where the concern comes from, but I don't think it ought to apply when Gen 1 Pokemon like Pikachu, Mewtwo and Charizard are just ALWAYS going to be relevant.

Although in your case, if you're prioritizing Pokemon Trainer I suppose there's more of an argument to be had.
is Mewtwo always going to be relevant, though? He's been marketed signifigantly less nowadays compared to the likes of Pikachu, Charizard, Eevee and even Meowth

and sure he's popular, but Greninja is more popular
Had I given myself a bit more room I'd have thrown Robin in there too, but Fire Emblem was difficult to sort out beyond Marth. You could make a case for Ike since he's the most popular Lord in the series, Robin because he's one of the most original and represents the turning point of the series, and now Byleth who comes from the most successful game in the series and represents the weapon triangle.

So I left them all out since if there's that much contention, I don't consider any of them "essential" beyond Marth. It could go to any one of them - obviously Fire Emblem wouldn't and shouldn't actually get cut down to a single character, though.

Ryu stays if Mega Man stays, and I just don't have it in me to ever cut a Kirby character.
that's fair, though I don't see why Ryu has to stay if Mega Man does.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Cuts were only ever intentional when the hardware forced them to happen.
Melee was intended to have everyone return, but making the Subspace Emissary got in the way of that. Smash for WiiU and 3DS was being developed for 2 different systems at the same time, and even then 3 veterans absent from the base roster were able to return as DLC.
At worst I can see low-priority veterans being absent from the base roster to boost the selling power of the starting roster with some heavy hitters, but returning as DLC sounds like a really obvious route they would take.
Everyone is doing their own Smash 6 fighter roster. I'll do my own Doom and Gloom roster.

:ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultpeach: :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultyoshi::ultpiranha:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultminmin:ultinkling:
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultmewtwo::ultshulk::ultpyra:
:ultmarth::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultbyleth:
:ultbayonetta::ulthero3::ultryu::ultsteve:

This is what I think Smash 6's roster will look like.
Come on, really? Cutting Roy and Ike is just taking it too far.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's from the Sm4sh mod Tr4sh, where:

• Ganon's jab and D-Air shocks people in place.
  • Little Mac's aerials do 20 %+ damage and kills.
  • Ness is voiced by a text-to-speech program, with quotes such as "What idiot made this my recovery?"

So it's only natural that they'd slow down Wario's U-Air but give it OHKO potential. :p
Oh God, I went to look for it.

"Outplay Jump" and "PK Useless Green Thing" are now the canonical names of those attacks, **** whatever anyone else says.

Swan Lesson playing in the background also makes this 10 times better for some reason.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Smash Run would still suck unless it actually played like the Kirby Air Ride wannabe it was meant to be tbh.

One of the best parts of playing City Trial in Kirby's Air Ride was randomly encountering your opponent and either calling total truce, or sabotaging them for your own benefit, with the risk of them being way stronger than you anticipated.

Smash Run NEEDS to add that player interaction, or else it's just unga-bunga mobs for 2~ minutes and then a random event match.
I mean, Smash Run was fun with fighting the mobs from different games, but yeah, it was sad that you couldn't interact with the other players.

If Smash Run is required to not have the players interact physically, for technical reasons or whatnot, do something like the Super Mario Bros. 35 thing where you can send extra enemies or stuff that can mess with the other players.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
is Mewtwo always going to be relevant, though? He's been marketed signifigantly less nowadays compared to the likes of Pikachu, Charizard, Eevee and even Meowth

I like Greninja, but there is no world where he's as popular as Mewtwo. And that's not to put Greninja down either, it's the simple fact that Mewtwo has been prominent across the entire span of Pokemon's run - letting multiple generations of players grow attached to him (which pretty much sums up why Gen 1 Pokemon are generally so popular in the first place). Mewtwo has two movies where they play a central role and they're a big part of Pokemon Origins as well.

"Nowdays", sure. A lot of returning Pokemon haven't been marketed much through Gen 8 - that would apply to Charizard and Greninja too. Even though, for the record, we did just get a Gen 1 remake not very long ago. And Mewtwo, if I'm not mistaken, was also a fairly significant part of Detective Pikachu and was a pretty big deal when promoting Pokemon Go. This stuff wasn't that long ago. Mewtwo is still about as big a deal as he's ever been, and no doubt TPC will promote him again and again and again as the series' most iconic legendary.

I feel like the only reason there's any question about Mewtwo is because he was cut from Melee to Brawl. Which yeah, that's enough reason for some doubt since it happened once before, but had he stuck around I don't think anyone would even consider it.

If Capcom is willing enough to hand over one, why not the other? They're both extremely significant gaming icons, and Ryu is Mr. Fighting Games. Would be a bit odd to work things out with Capcom, a very willing company, for your crossover fighting game and leave out THE crossover fighter.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

I like the base concept of Smash Run, but it wouldn't work outside of online in its current form(due to the multiplayer focus with their own screen), and Smash Ultimate's Online is horrid. Like, I don't even remember if it's better or worse than Brawl. At least 4's was pretty good(though that might've been 3DS only?).

I feel like having something like a clear Adventure Mode variant wouldn't be bad to reuse again. It's a fun idea, and the current Adventure Mode is way different. Too much of a task to add, sadly. Smash Run probably too, honestly? What's your thoughts on how to implement Smash Run as an offline feature?

this isn't meant to be too realistic, this is more what I would do, and I would prioritze Isabelle over Villager
Okay, that's fair. I'd always prioritize the core gameplay representative first, but I think both should stay. And yes, many know I'd rather have Isabelle as an AT(though to be fair, I think she's done better character-wise as one, since it fits her particular roles better), but I love how she is in Smash. That, and she uses the Fishing Rod, something Villager should've always had.

...I'm pretty sure Mewtwo is more popular, though. It's the original generation classic controllable Boss for Pokemon, got two Megas, was considered for Smash 64, had a massive outcry when it was cut(despite being terribly unbalanced). ...lol, why did I read that as Lucario. Greninja isn't based upon the anime design till a few notes in Ultimate. XD

You can ignore the rest. It doesn't apply.

Because they're both Capcom's Mascots? The companies are effectively one overall, just with different branches. MegaMan is easier to get, but that's it.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I do wonder, how would it go over if they were to focus nearly all of their budget on characters and ignore pretty much everything else? (So, there’s barely any stages, modes, ect. Like, it’d have about as many stages as Smash 64.) I mean, characters are the main appeal of Smash, after all, right?

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I do feel like whatever happens to Smash beyond Ultimate, whether we'll get a new game or a "Deluxe" edition of it, DLC will likely be a staple for Smash. If they do go the new game route, they can add in whoever didn't make it in the base game as DLC alongside new fighters.

Which probably means they can be a bit more risky with cutting veteran fighters if they need to. Can't make someone in the game in time for release? Finish them up as DLC.

As much as DLC may annoy some people I imagine they may take more risks with the roster going forward if they decide to make a new game.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I do wonder, how would it go over if they were to focus nearly all of their budget on characters and ignore pretty much everything else? (So, there’s barely any stages, modes, ect. Like, it’d have about as many stages as Smash 64.) I mean, characters are the main appeal of Smash, after all, right?
I do see where you're getting at, especially with the stages, since I got a feeling most people don't play the stages that aren't Battlefield or Final Destination.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I like Greninja, but there is no world where he's as popular as Mewtwo. And that's not to put Greninja down either, it's the simple fact that Mewtwo has been prominent across the entire span of Pokemon's run - letting multiple generations of players grow attached to him (which pretty much sums up why Gen 1 Pokemon are generally so popular in the first place). Mewtwo has two movies where they play a central role and they're a big part of Pokemon Origins as well.

"Nowdays", sure. A lot of returning Pokemon haven't been marketed much through Gen 8 - that would apply to Charizard and Greninja too. Even though, for the record, we did just get a Gen 1 remake not very long ago. And Mewtwo, if I'm not mistaken, was also a fairly significant part of Detective Pikachu and was a pretty big deal when promoting Pokemon Go. This stuff wasn't that long ago. Mewtwo is still about as big a deal as he's ever been.
yeah I admit I was wrong

but tbf Greninja has been consistantly topping Pokemon popularity polls, whereas Mewtwo didn't even place last time I checked, but I suppose I shouldn't put too much stock into that

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I feel with Greninja and Lucario, both have done enough to be considered mainstays in their own right, especially the latter. Greninja has been a very popular Pokemon, winning two polls, once in Japan and once globally, and is still getting merch and attention in other areas of the franchise. Lucario's also very popular, he's was #2 to Greninja in the global poll and has been a major recurring face in the franchise since his debut. He was greatly present in the marketing of B2W2, Gen 6, 7, 8, a constant in the anime with Ash finally getting one this season, gets so much merchandise, and other such things. Keeping those two around would definitely make sense, and I'd at least argue Lucario should remain (and potentially get a revamp to his moveset).

That said, I would argue that it would make more sense for them to be playable alongside Mewtwo, not instead of it.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure that's more competitively rather than casually. Casually, I think the other stages are played just as much.
I agree with your second sentence, since I, a casual player, can support it with my testimony. :D

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Finding stages that aren't played casually is difficult. Even stages that are overwhelming still see a lot of play because Smash is a fun multiplayer craze-filled game.

You could hold a decent set of polls, but rooting out competitive VS casual is tough.

Like, there's a few I dislike due to being difficult to fight on, but the only ones I have an issue with is when they affect going through Classic(WarioWare, for instance). I like we have enough variety for all kinds of play. That said, BF and FD are popular competitive stages, but so are both Smashvilles. And possibly others(if there was a hazard switch proper, you would see even more competitive stages).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I can't see them cutting Fox or Donkey Kong. Really, any of the OG 12 really feel like shoe ins regardless.
Come on, really? Cutting Roy and Ike is just taking it too far.
None of our favourite characters are coming back.

Doomer.jpg

I get that it's a doomer roster, but I don't think cutting Kirby of all characters from Smash is within the realm of possibility. Samus either.

Metroid Prime 4 is on the horizon, so it's not like Metroid wouldn't be profitable for them. And Kirby is still a merchandising powerhouse. So even if we're coming at this like "Nintendo will only keep its most relevant / profitable series" the roster ultimately falls flat. Seems like a bit of an egregious amount of Fire Emblem to keep around too if you're not bothering to bring back series like Kirby or Donkey Kong which are equal or larger in size...

Wait, you cut Donkey Kong too? I just noticed that, lmao. Even if you aren't convinced Nintendo cares about DKC, he's still a part of the core Mario cast who appears in every single spinoff. Why the hell would he go anywhere, even in the MOST conservative of rosters?
Maybe Kirby could come back but he'll probably be on his own. I really don't see them dealing with Metroid after Prime 4 since that's going through development hell.

For Donkey Kong, you could say the same thing about Wario but he's appearing less and less with Mario and co over the years and it seems like the same thing is starting to happen with Donkey Kong. With Fire Emblem, it's a bit of a joke towards the excessive amount of Fire Emblem characters we have in Ultimate.

But like you said, this is only a doomer roster so it's not very serious.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I do feel like whatever happens to Smash beyond Ultimate, whether we'll get a new game or a "Deluxe" edition of it, DLC will likely be a staple for Smash. If they do go the new game route, they can add in whoever didn't make it in the base game as DLC alongside new fighters.

Which probably means they can be a bit more risky with cutting veteran fighters if they need to. Can't make someone in the game in time for release? Finish them up as DLC.

As much as DLC may annoy some people I imagine they may take more risks with the roster going forward if they decide to make a new game.
eh... i say this as someone who hoped for Snake and Wolf for 4 and they had to wait for Ultimate to come back. that's why i don't like this idea in regard to veterans

newcomers that didn;'t make it into base tho? by all means go ahead

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Maybe Kirby could come back but he'll probably be on his own. I really don't see them dealing with Metroid after Prime 4 since that's going through development hell.

For Donkey Kong, you could say the same thing about Wario but he's appearing less and less with Mario and co over the years and it seems like the same thing is starting to happen with Donkey Kong. With Fire Emblem, it's a bit of a joke towards the excessive amount of Fire Emblem characters we have in Ultimate.

But like you said, this is only a doomer roster so it's not very serious.
I mean, even in a roster that only has 6 characters I would still expect Kirby, Samus and DK to return

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm gonna be honest, I had no idea, I though it was just "Capcom" and that's it
It's not the first time people didn't know they had two branches. But it only affects licensing.

Street Fighter and MegaMan aren't their top selling series, but they're the mascot series, being very important to gaming history in their own ways. It's why they have the most media stuff out of anything. The other franchises they own are no slouch. Darkstalkers and Final Fight would be pretty slouchy though in comparison to others. Resident Evil is huge, Monster Hunter is huge, and that's just off the top of my head.

Funny thing is, I think only Street Fighter is owned by Capcom USA. I dunno if Final Fight is too. However, from what we can tell, Capcom Co Ltd. still controls a lot of the overall business decisions, but don't own the IP literally. So they are effectively one company. I could be wrong on how much Capcom USA controls in comparison, though. Worth noting Capcom USA has tons of Street Fighter content, but that's it. Whereas Capcom Co Ltd. is all over the place in content, but has less with any single series than Street Fighter alone. Justified in that it's doing a lot more bundles, at least. This makes me wonder if Sakurai didn't go back to Capcom USA for costumes due the language barrier, and because they weren't evidently still trying to get a character(like Steve with Microsoft), it's much more reasonable to avoid trying to license from a company in another region if you can. We know the 3rd party costumes are again DLC too. When this was decided is unknown. Though I imagine if a SF costume was considered, they might go back to it later on. Due to what I said a moment ago, it makes sense they wouldn't negotiate with a Western company again until they feel the need to. They couldn't license the costume for DLC at the time since DLC wasn't confirmed as possible till over a year later(not even Sakurai knew till Nintendo greenlit it). So if, say, a Guile costume is coming, they'd have had to license it way later on either way, and considering we're in Pass 2, it'd probably have been licensed at least during Pass 1 or sometime later.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
People always say that they should completely overhaul the gameplay next time around in order to make up for a smaller roster but honestly, I don't really know what else you can do with it. I certainly don't want to see it completely change genres into like some Power Stone clone or whatever. That's not what I come to Smash for.

The only real thing I'd be interested in seeing is tuning the gameplay back to the Melee/Project M style...but yeah, I know Sakurai or anyone else at Nintendo would rather eat glass than do such a thing.
hot take but i agree wholeheartedly

the gameplay seems fine to me, i'd just like i mentioned before, tweak the minor base game things (particularly music and single player stuff) to make it consistent

i do not like inconsistency.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I mean, even in a roster that only has 6 characters I would still expect Kirby, Samus and DK to return
Someone posted a picture of Mario, Villagers from animal crossing, Inkling and Link being the only characters on the picture (Think it was to prove that Splatoon is bigger than someone was making it out to be) and that's what's making me think this way.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Speaking of a roster that only has 6 chars: If that were to happen, then that means two of the original 8 characters would have to be cut.

So here's a challenge: What two would y'all here cut if you had to do so? I'd personally pick Yoshi and DK, since they wouldn't be needed to keep the Mario series repped, whereas Link, Samus, Fox, and Pikachu would need to be kept in order to rep the Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, and Pokemon series, respectively. After some thinking, I'll pick Fox and Yoshi, instead.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Speaking of a roster that only has 6 chars: If that were to happen, then that means two of the original 8 characters would have to be cut. What two would y'all here cut if you had to do so? I'd personally pick Yoshi and DK, since they wouldn't be needed to keep the Mario series repped, whereas Link, Samus, Fox, and Pikachu would need to be kept in order to rep the Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, and Pokemon series, respectively.
DK is barely a Mario rep, and is what put Nintendo on the map.

I would prioritize him over Mr. Dead Series Mcloud

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Speaking of a roster that only has 6 chars: If that were to happen, then that means two of the original 8 characters would have to be cut. What two would y'all here cut if you had to do so? I'd personally pick Yoshi and DK, since they wouldn't be needed to keep the Mario series repped, whereas Link, Samus, Fox, and Pikachu would need to be kept in order to rep the Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, and Pokemon series, respectively.
:ultmario::ultlink::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultpikachu:

That'll be $60.

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be honest

While I'm sure there are ways to make a Hypothetical Smash 6 more enticing through the gameplay, it's a very Huge gamble on that front

Many People do like the Gameplay of Ultimate already. While it's not perfect, it has a lot of polish and enjoyability. in regards to what potential gameplay changes we could get

-Changing it to a 3D Based game, Whether it be an Arena fighter or something else, would be a Giant shift, one that may or may not Pay off. Arena Fighters, despite how much flak they get, are very successful style of gameplay. I know people also like 3D Movement so it could be a change that could pay off, but would require alot of work, Since you're pretty much overhauling the game and also the characters as well to make them work in this engine

-Keeping the same gameplay, but revamping the movesets of the veterans, I don't know would have that much of an appeal to the main audience. I'm unsure if the Casuals really do pay attention to what moves certain characters have to that extent. in any case, I really think people overexaggerate how many characters really need changes to their moveset to such a level. Most might need One new move added in there or something, not a drastic shift in their gameplay. I think Custom Moves (that operate like Actual new moves) would work better in this instance since it could add something new to the Veterans, but keep their gameplay intact as well. I think people just want some fresh stuff added to the old characters, but there is no need for drastic reshift for most of them anyway

-Making the Gameplay Customizable would be interesting. More than just the Custom Moves, perhaps it could be interesting if the characters in Smash were instead used as some sort of canvas for people to make their own style of gameplay, whether it be through Moves, Colors, Costumes, Damage, Speed, Weight, etc. This has a problem of making the Gameplay not as consistent and tuned for competitive, and could throw balancing out of whack. Also if 3rd parties are gonna be a big part of Nintendo, there could be issues in how customizable certain characters would be allowed to be, especially looking at how certain 3rd parties don't have the best alts.

-Making the Game more "Hyper Focused". This could go hand in hand with the above ideas, but the gist of this one is making the gameplay as crazh as possible in terms of how it works. Stuff like having MVC type Combos, Air dashes, Super moves, Combo Breakers, Move canceling mechanics, Some other sorts of crazy mechanics that would make the Smash system more Hyper tuned. Unlike the above ideas I'm unsure if this needs as many sacrfices to the overall game, since it's still using the Current Smash system as a template, but just overtuning it to very exciting levels. If you also have the game system have some unbalanced type stuff, perhaps not as much balancing needs to be done on characters, and when working with a Large roster like Smash, that will definitely save time

-Turning Smash into a Traditional Fighter. Not really the best idea since Smash not being traditional is a huge part of it's appeal. It would be interesting, but would probably be a bad idea in the end

-Shifting Smash into Another Genre. I'm unsure of what genre they could shift to without alienating alot of the playerbase, and even without that alot of Sacrfices would need to be made depending on what Genre they decide to Switch to. Plus I think Smash would be unwise to give up it's Monopoly on the Platformer Fighter genre currently (this also applies to the Traditional Fighter idea)

If they really want to try to put an Entire different type of Gameplay in Smash 6, that could work in making it more standout from Smash Ultimate, but it's a huge gamble since there be alot of sacrifices that need to be made to develop the new game systems, and you run the risk of the New gameplay style not being as good as the System we have now

If you stay with the Current system though, it will be really hard trying to different itself from Smash Ultimate that would make people think the sacrifices made would be worth it. Revamping Movesets I think WOULD NOT be worth it at all, and would just cause other potential problems as well. I think the main thing Smash could do to make the Gameplay a main selling point is make it more customizable in Mechanics, Character attributes, moves, and cosmetics, and perhaps other miscellaneous things

I think really, In order for Smash 6 to really succeed, it's gonna have to have Alot more New stuff in terms of the Roster itself, and the Content within the game. I don't think, as an example, keeping a Majority Veteran based roster would work out to well, whether you keep the gameplay system or throw it out completely, since both approaches have their Faults that could make the risks too high

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
besides, all of these reboot rosters are inaccurate because there's no way they aren't going to add any newcomers.
That's tricky to do. I made a reboot roster with an extremely high number of newcomers awhile back, and people were really upset with it. I do think that's the best route for a reboot, because you need some sort of hook. Casuals won't be pumped to play a game with fewer characters, but now DK throws barrels..

Louie G.

Smash Hero
besides, all of these reboot rosters are inaccurate because there's no way they aren't going to add any newcomers.
Of course, that's a factor I didn't really bother to implement into my conservative take but it's also one that's difficult to call. Who knows when the next Smash will come out, which other characters will be relevant (or irrelevant) by then, which new IPs will be established...

Whatever the circumstances though, I think there are a few newcomers who make sense regardless of the context. Tom Nook and Octoling seem like no brainers to expand on significant modern Nintendo series with bright futures, and I'd say we could start expanding on returning third parties with characters like Chun-Li and Tails too (who will obviously continue to be significant well into the future).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of a roster that only has 6 chars: If that were to happen, then that means two of the original 8 characters would have to be cut.

So here's a challenge: What two would y'all here cut if you had to do so? I'd personally pick Yoshi and DK, since they wouldn't be needed to keep the Mario series repped, whereas Link, Samus, Fox, and Pikachu would need to be kept in order to rep the Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, and Pokemon series, respectively.
Yoshi and Fox, easily.

Yoshi is still a Super Mario character in all but name. Star Fox is dead again.

So not a challenge, imo.

DKC is still a massive unique and separated series from Super Mario(and Donkey Kong Arcade, not Donkey Kong Country, is the reason Super Mario even exists, so that helps too in how important it is). Metroid has grown a lot and now is constantly getting games. Legend of Zelda is always active. Pokemon and Super Mario are a duh. Kirby is pretty much a core part of how Smash is designed, since many parts of the franchise are references to it, so I can't see it being, an already active series, cut.

It'd still be odd having Luigi cut though. Yoshi as well.

---------------

I looked at all those rosters as "returning veterans" plus unknown newcomers, so.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TBH I'm still not super sure where they're gonna go after this game. I feel like the wisest option is to just port Ultimate next gen with some new characters and another season or two of DLC and then leave it at that. I think the next major, standalone Smash game should take its sweet time: Like, maybe a 5/6 year wait. It would let' some characters that are current now age a bit and perhaps cement themselves into gaming culture more and build up new potential candidates to fill the inevitable holes in the roster that would come with a new Smash that doesn't do "Everyone is Here!".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom