• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
By the way, since we're all thrown for a loop at this point I'm just gonna throw something wild out there for the sake of discussion.

I'm feeling like Master Chief could still happen. The "one per company" rule is something we've pretty much established arbitrarily, but when really putting it into perspective... how much overlap to Chief have with Steve? Or Banjo for that matter? All three of these characters have their own individual legacies to carry and all just happen to be owned by Microsoft. Their potential audiences barely overlap.

Given the opportunity to add the face of the FPS genre and one of the most iconic video game characters of all time, pretty much the ULTIMATE western character and one that would result in Sonic and Cloud level mind-blowing, bringing a brand new audience's eyes toward Smash... if they have one final big fat surprise to unload on us I think that's just about the best they can do. I dunno, might feel differently about it tomorrow but I've always felt like I can't completely dismiss Chief because of what I said before.
Yeah, I'd argue in terms of genre, there's no overlap between Halo and Minecraft, so if there's any character that could get in despite their company already having a fighter in the volume, it's Chief.

At the same time, though, a similar thing could have been said for Joker and other Sega characters like Arle or Kiryu. Or heck, even Steve and Banjo during Volume 1.

Right now I think it's hard to determine where he stands, I'd say it might as well be a coin toss at this point.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Granted, almost any character from now on will get more **** than they would get if they were added earlier because it looks like Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate, but still.
Yeah, this makes me fear for Hayabusa's reception in particular. Right now I'm expecting him as the last character too - I'm not even a huge Ninja Gaiden buff or anything, but it would pain me to see people go hard on a historically significant NES icon who had earned his place just as well as anyone else (and would probably have a sick moveset to boot). Would definitely be undeserved toxicity and it's only amplified by how little space we have left.

I say this though, and I know I would be salty as all **** if Lloyd actually made it in LOL. So take my opinion lightly.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Its not much of a prediction, but my thinking is that we'll get a Western and Japanese character to end the pass.
That's the dream. The more Western and Japanese the better. I'd take Carmen Sandiego and Hello Kitty.

Yeah, I kinda feel that as well. I feel that for alot of people Pyra and Mythra were the "Okay cool, but thats enough Swordies now..."
I feel like this was the best possible timing for Pyra/Mythra tbh. It would've been really hard to follow up the Steve/Sephiroth 1-2 punch, and even if they did manage that, following up the hype of a 1-2-3 punch with Pyra would leave a lot of people salty. In a way, the Xenobaes are a perfect hype palette cleanser that pleased a lot of people while paving the way for more "exciting" characters.

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Well Maya, or anything unique to Phoenix such as his Magatama. Even in something like basic attacks might be hard to translate between the two, as Phoenix looks much more natural making comedic or overdramatic poses than Edgeworth would (like if his moveset involved tripping or sneezing or something). I agree that Edgeworth could conceivably be an alternate skin, but it would only happen if Sakurai didn't feel like he was sacrificing moveset potential to do so.
To be fair, Edgeworth has used the Magatama before as well, so it would probably be fine if it was just him as an alt.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
About Tales, I guess Lloyd would be more visually unique even if it's because he uses two swords and his design, which I personally think it's a particular one for a JRPG protagonist. But if it was Yuri, maybe they could implement Repede in his moveset in some way? Maybe it wouldn't be super faithful to the source material but I could see it happen.

D

Deleted member

Wow this thread jumped far.

What's everyone's predictions going into the last 2 characters now that P/M's Presentation dropped? The only thing I'm confident in is a character from Koei-Tecmo being next despite the big Summer Direct leaning towards a Western Demographic, but who the last character could be is pretty much up in the air for me. I'm still of the belief Nintendo wants to add a new character that debuted after Ultimate, and the only 2 options in my head are a Gen 8 Pokemon, which is still pretty predictable despite the recent Poke themed tourney coming up, and Zagreus, who only seems likely under the right circumstances in my head.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

What's everyone's predictions going into the last 2 characters now that P/M's Presentation dropped? The only thing I'm confident in is a character from Koei-Tecmo being next despite the big Summer Direct leaning towards a Western Demographic, but who the last character could be is pretty much up in the air for me. I'm still of the belief Nintendo wants to add a new character that debuted after Ultimate, and the only 2 options in my head are a Gen 8 Pokemon, which is still pretty predictable despite the recent Poke themed tourney coming up, and Zagreus, who only seems likely under the right circumstances in my head.
As long as one is Crash, the other one can be a stickman for all I care.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

I’m looking at Hayabusa currently. I was also betting on Phoenix, but thats down and out. Not sure about the other though.
As long as one is Crash, the other one can be a stickman for all I care.
Hes in. :4pacman:
BF4F76CB-FA17-464F-BFD4-685BCE2DF4DC.png

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What's everyone's predictions going into the last 2 characters now that P/M's Presentation dropped?
Just complete gut instinct off the cuff and still cooling down from the major shakeup earlier...

Crash or Master Chief, and then Hayabusa.

Big character popular in the west for E3-times and smaller Japanese character to close things out. Hayabusa is the only one I'm extremely confident in right now (with MH out I feel like there's really nothing in his way anymore), but that's my spur of the moment perspective.

Honest question, how come?
I really just want to see more variety moving forward. I know that complaining about JRPG swordies feels petty and overdone by now, but those just aren't the kind of games and characters that I'm into (but for the record, I'm not implying any of the ones we got were bad additions). I'll accept just about anyone with time, but I'm getting pretty disappointed in how little I've been able to connect with these characters on a more personal level and I'd really like to see them take the last two characters in a different direction.

Just like I alluded to before, tensions are high with only two characters remaining. I've already lost faith in most of the ones I'd like to see, but it would sting a bit to have yet another character who overlaps in general theming and audience to two other characters we already got. I'm sure Tales of Symphonia is a great game and maybe I'll give it a shot someday, but it's just not really my vibe yknow? I really just want to see something fresh.

And I wouldn't like, be toxic about it or anything but I'd probably be more negative than people are used to seeing from me. I feel like it's so difficult to come at this kind of thing with nuance without people thinking I'm like grrr anime swordspeople, which I'm not.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I was working most of the day, so I didn't really get a chance to post my thoughts on the Sakurai Presents until now. All in all, I'm pretty happy. Pyra and Mythra look like a lot of fun. I'm a little worried about how they'll be balanced compared to the rest of the cast, but I think that's just my kneejerk reaction where every DLC character looks busted at first.

I like the concept of the stage, but I have a feeling I won't enjoy playing on it as much as the other DLC stages, because of Gramps moving his neck about, the fact that it's pretty small, and the Cloud Sea making it so you can't see what's going on beneath the stage. I'll see how I feel for sure once I play on it though.

As for the Mii costumes, this was probably the best it could have been for my most wanted characters' chances. I'm sorry for all the people who were looking forward to Monster Hunter -- while I'm not a part of the fanbase who wanted them in, I know it's definitely a bummer to have one of your wanted characters get Mii'd (I had to go through that with Travis). It's interesting that Sakurai explicitly said that the Capcom costumes were happening now because of MH Rise's release date. Ordinarily, I'd expect a company's costumes to go with their fighter, but in this case Sakurai's overt reason for why the costumes are here now leaves the door open for the possibility of a Capcom character in one of the last two slots.

also I'm a bit bummed because I was planning out a Tiger! Tiger! remix to post on my YouTube sometime soon, but now that there's an official remix in the song selection, I'm questioning if I should even continue or just move on to a different project lol

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
To be fair, Edgeworth has used the Magatama before as well, so it would probably be fine if it was just him as an alt.
I honestly forgot that happened.

About Tales, I guess Lloyd would be more visually unique even if it's because he uses two swords and his design, which I personally think it's a particular one for a JRPG protagonist. But if it was Yuri, maybe they could implement Repede in his moveset in some way? Maybe it wouldn't be super faithful to the source material but I could see it happen.

Having Repede around would be a neat gimmick. At the end of the day though, people unfamiliar with him will still complain about him being budget sephiroth regardless of how innovative his moveset is.

Master Chief and Haruka Amami you heard it here first.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
I honestly forgot that happened.

Having Repede around would be a neat gimmick. At the end of the day though, people unfamiliar with him will still complain about him being budget sephiroth regardless of how innovative his moveset is.

Master Chief and Haruka Amami you heard it here first.
Bro Master Chief would be SO OUTRAGEOUSLY HYPE for me

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
God I kind of hate that all of this speculation and theorycrafting and twists and turns have led me to guess Crash and Hayabusa of all characters, lmao.

Good choices in their own right, but that feels way too easy all things considered. That's one of the reasons I'm stirring Chief into the equation, I just can't bring myself to believe that the final two characters will be the ones that we were all talking about nonstop since DLC day one. It just doesn't feel right anymore.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
God I kind of hate that all of this speculation and theorycrafting and twists and turns have led me to guess Crash and Hayabusa of all characters, lmao.

Good choices in their own right, but that feels way too easy all things considered. That's one of the reasons I'm stirring Chief into the equation, I just can't bring myself to believe that the final two characters will be the ones that we were all talking about nonstop since DLC day one. It just doesn't feel right anymore.
Personally I don't see both Crash and Hayabusa happening at the same time but who knows. While it would be kinda boring in terms of speculation, I'd be more than okay with those 2.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Oh, the 2 extra things in the list of updates are Sophia (Persona 5 Strikers) and Arthur spirits.
Yes! I love both, especially after I ended up loving Sophia!
And more Ghosts n Goblins is always a plus.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh, the 2 extra things in the list of updates are Sophia (Persona 5 Strikers) and Arthur spirits.
Wait isn't there 2 more things

When we were speculating the 2 extra things, we assumed that there be 6 Mii Costumes with that, but since there was only 4, there should be 4 notices not seen in the Presentation

I mean, it's possible that Smash Speculators could be on the right track this time

Of course, perhaps there's something you're missing as well. I did my theorycraft and I did not arrive at Crash and Hayabusa as the last 2, or any Heavily speculated characters

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I feel that would still require paying the producers of the songs. Most of the songs for vocaloid are made my individual people
but they aren't using any of the songs? i think if the song's dont get in they don't hav
Its funny that the Monster Hunter Mii Costumes arguably are the returning DLC whose status has changed the most since their appearances in Smash 4 vs now. Then it wouldn't be all that out there to say they belonged to a beloved IP in Japan that's liked but not wholly loved in the West.

Now its become so big and with a timed exclusive to Nintendo so significant that they were in serious speculative circles about appearing as a fighter even after getting an Assist Trophy, World of Light section, and a boss character.

It makes me wonder if a truly functional and interesting MH fighter will be something finally realized and formulated by the time the next Smash game hits.
almost definitly

i think alot of the 3rd parties are here to stay.

Sonic- yeah
Snake- i don't think so, konami was apparently hard to work with.
Mega-man- yeah
pac-man- bamco literally develops the game, so yeah
ryu- capcom seems close to nintendo so yes
bayonetta- 100% she's a nintendo character in all but ownership, i think Nintendo will buy out the ip eventually.
cloud- probaly, SE isn't hard to work with, more so it's just their games have their right's split like 7 way's but with how big smash is now i think they'll let him come back
Simon and Richter- no
Joker-no
Hero- same as cloud but 10x more likely
Banjo- if microsoft is able to play bal and nintendo want's to yes, i say 50/50
Terry- SNK probably donates his license so yes, im pretty sue anyone who makes games would be able to convinve SNK to allow terry in
Steve_ NIntendo isn't letting him go away
Sephiroth- idk, it seems kind of redundant to theorize becuase even if we got cloud back they could just not include sepirth becuase he isn't as important, or they can include him again cuase they already have the licensce so why not?

sorry for bad spelling, am tired.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
At this point I dare not predict nor expect. All I can do is hold on to my hope that the lanky purple man will break out of his glass capsule captivity. I'll just have to chow down on that fat L if things don't turn out that way.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Is Shulk’s model fixed? His original model looks sooooo off

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think you get them if you own the games

I bought P5 Strikers on PS4

Pain.
Yeah I just checked it and you only get Sophia and Arthur if you have played P5 Strikers and Ghost n Goblins Resurrection in your console. I'm guessing they will add both spirits in the future for everyone. Or at least that's what I'm hoping lol

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
is it just me or is everything about the presentation of the 1st party dlc characters just so uninspired compared to the third parties

1st party dlc characters (minmin, byleth, pyra/mythra, corrin)
  • Trailers that rely overly on familiarity with the source material, to the extent that non-fans get little to nothing out of them
    • Byleth and Corrin's entire scripts were "it's a Fire Emblem scene, but it's about Smash now". Pyra/Mythra's an XB2 cutscene, by the XB2 cutscene makers. Minmin at least had the aesthetic of ARMS art going for it.
  • few remixes, 3 is the most and one of those 3 is a god damn Tiger Tiger remix
  • spirits are recycled
  • no real acknowledgement of the greater history of their franchises if possible, all songs taken from a single game
    • only thing that comes close to an exception is "XB2 got one song from the DLC campaign", which is still DLC for XB2
3rd party dlc characters
  • Trailers that endear the characters to people not familiar with them, through character interactions
    • Compare; Banjo reuniting with DK and co after a fake-out with the character people said he'd just be a clone of, Mario getting sent into Minecraft, Sephiroth 1-shotting the final boss, antagonizing the whole cast and -then- having the obligatory fan stuff with the Cloud showdown.
    • Exception: Terry, being a straight recreation of an intro scene which still has fantastic pixel art going for it
  • remixes out the bingbingwahoo
    • Exception: DQ's draconian copyright law, which was still worked around to the best of their effort
  • spirits are all original
  • acknowledgement of multiple games, especially clear with Persona and SNK
1st party DLC shouldn't have to be this way, but it is, every single time. It feels like a budget-cutting measure by now, this is how they do their tax write-off or something. They're already advertizing evergreen Switch titles just by adding them, can't they pour some advertizing budget into some more remixes or something?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah I just checked it and you only get Sophia and Arthur if you have played P5 Strikers and Ghost n Goblins Resurrection in your console. I'm guessing they will add both spirits in the future for everyone. Or at least that's what I'm hoping lol
You also get free SNK spirits for owning their games. I have Garou and SNK vs. Capcom, giving me two spirits: Iori and Geese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom