• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
**** it my final two are gonna be oddballs

CP10. Either Reimu or Ahri
And
CP11. Octoling

idc what y’all say. Ultimate started with Splatoon. IT WILL END WITH SPLATOON. SQUID SISTERS MIIS BE DAMNED.
Are they really oddballs when they're the same two people you've been predicting for months? Hmmm.

I do think Octoling could make it though....but the Callie and Marie costumes earlier in the wave make me less confident. But I'd love some dualies and Octo Expansion stuff.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Waft nerf?
ZSS Boost Kick nerf?
Palu Dash attack nerf?
Tetrakarn nerf?
Dragon ARM nerf?

Gordo buffs?
Byleth Down Air / Down Smash buffs (for some reason*)?
A Ganondorf buff?

Arigato, blessed Sakurai. This patch is going to be really interesting.

* Think it's due to Byleth having a pretty bad online winrate (from 2 million matches):

If that happens I want the Crash mascot to personally visit Nintendo HQ again, and trash talk them with a megaphone once more.

Just to make it truly feel like the old 90s console rivalry.
Pichu buffs baby, my time is now!

and jeez mythra is insanely fast. Been successful playing as her the entire time then switching to pyra for a quick ftilt or upb to close a stock before switching back.

Ivander

Smash Legend

This is a first.
You know, looking at the focus on choosing between Pyra and Mythra, I'm reminded about that one interview where supposedly Takahashi wanted to do a higher rated game.

I know Nintendo will never go that far, but I have that feeling that if Monolith Soft ever made a game like Dragon Quest V or Phantasy Star III, there would be casualties aplenty and they would make billions.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Are they really oddballs when they're the same two people you've been predicting for months? Hmmm.

I do think Octoling could make it though....but the Callie and Marie costumes earlier in the wave make me less confident. But I'd love some dualies and Octo Expansion stuff.
Oddballs compared to everyone else’s usuals

OMG OCTOLINGS HAVE TO USE DUALIES AS THEIR DEFAULT WEAPONS THO. esp since I’m literally a dualies main

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Does it mean anything in Japanese? if not it's probably not gibberish, so maybe it's part of said characters name?
Miko are Japanese shrine maidens. Y'know, Reimu's job.

It's also the name of a Taoist hermit who is also Prince Shoutoku but now girl (Or were they always like this? It's not really explained). They are the final boss of Touhou 13: Ten Desires. Amusingly enough, the actual miko of the series follows Taoism better than they do, despite the fact that miko are under the Shinto religion.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I was wondering why the Pyra trailer felt... off narratively and today I got the answer.
I'll say this much about Sakurai (okay he's a pretty spectacular creator overall), his character trailers since 4 has almost always nailed the character's personality/significance they were hyping up.
Ridley and Mega Man are still my favorite Smash trailers, and only recently has Sephiroth joined that pantheon.

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I'll say this much about Sakurai (okay he's a pretty spectacular creator overall), his character trailers since 4 has almost always nailed the character's personality/significance they were hyping up.
Ridley and Mega Man are still my favorite Smash trailers, and only recently has Sephiroth joined that pantheon.
well sephiroths was a remake of advent children so...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
K. Rool's trailer is still probably my favorite ever, just a master class in not only bringing a character back in their full glory but surpassing how great they already were and expanding on them in fresh new ways. And obviously the animation is gorgeous and the expressions are hilarious.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
no you dont understand
nintendo stuff in smash = cut costs, low budget, shill
non-nintendo stuff in smash = perfect, high budget, not shill
They're poking fun of people saying that 1st party picks are lazy and cheap, not actually slamming it.
I know some who call the third parties the shills in this franchise. If you know me, you know full well about the site that I'm talking about.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
So as long as we're on the topic what is everyone's thoughts on the DLC fighters so far?

For me...

:ultpiranha: - A whacky inclusion that was implemented well. Though I wish Goomba took the spot instead

:ultjoker: - Haven't played a Persona game but his inclusion gave me hope for more amazingly out of the box characters

:ulthero: - Well deserved as Square's second rep but I really dislike the menu system. I think they should've just split it up into 4 menus between each special each with set choices. Neutral would be projectile spells, side would be sword slashing spells, up is recovery spells and down is status inflicting spells. Also I think Erdrick should've been the primary costume

:ultbanjokazooie: - I screamed his name when I saw the jiggie and love the design and moveset. I love messing with players using the egg as they always react like it's a bigger move which gives me the opportunity to take the next strike.

:ult_terry: - Wasn't on my radar at all. But I love his moveset, how he feels, how his specials at to his combos and the GO meter.

:ultbyleth: - Disappointed. Should've been expected but still I just think FE has enough fighters. The moveset is good but I think it would fit the Monster Hunter better. Also the FE fanbase on Twitter became insufferable. It made me want nothing to do with the games.

:ultminmin - Kinda wished they went with Springman to completely destroy the Assist Trophy limitation (Mainly for Shadow) But she's cute and I like the approach. I can see why some see her as jarring though

:ultsteve: - I laughed in joy and shock when I heard the spider noise as the camera was rotating Mario. His moveset, presentation and just everything about him feels so unique. THIS is what I want more from Smash. clashing styles, variety and fun tools and toys to play with. He feels fun to use just by himself. That and he's another western fighter, the second Microsoft character and gives the Indie scene their own fighter. Also, the Enderman skin is the closest thing we've got to Slender Man being in Smash and I will gladly take it.

:ultsephiroth: - I was ok with Sephiroth. His masume and magic spells make him feel more unique that most other sword fighters. Which is kinda why I'm annoyed with sword fighters these days. Not because of the amount but the lack of variety in sword types. We don't even have a samurai but brawlers have a boxer (little Mac), wrestler (Incinaroar), martial artist (Ryu/Ken), ect. But we have so many sword fighters that weild just a normal medieval sword. It annoys me when people try to downplay this criticism as "LOL SWORD FIGHTER BAD AMIRITE" when there's a reason for it. That and most sword fighters these days don't bring in that much visual variety and just make Smash look like "Platformers X JRPGs +some other guys: The Game"

Pyra/Mythra - Speaking of which. At least they can switch between playstyles which is nice and I love strong female characters. Plus Xenoblade 2 reps were kind of obvious. But idk, I just feel disappointed. I guess I was too fixated on characters like Crash, Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa or Eggman. Still, even if I didn't have any ideas on who it could be I think I would feel the same.

There are 2 fighters left but most of the DLC is a hit or miss with only %20 being hits as the other %80 were misses. It's hard for me to stay excited after noticing that. I'll stay to see who the last 2 are but I think after that it's time to move on to another platform fighter like Indie Pogo.

I hope people don't get too mad at my opinions.

Okay, well now that Sword-Chan is out and playable, let’s finally dust off this weeks-old self-indulgent question!

:ultpiranha: - I adore The Plant. Out of all the “joke characters” ever put into Smash, this feels like Sakurai at his absolute trolliest. I laughed out loud when it was revealed. I’ve also grown to really dig its risky keepaway/heavyweight playstyle. It wouldn’t have been the first Mario mook I would’ve chosen, but it’ll always be hilarious.

:ultjoker: - I never touched a SMT/Persona game before he was revealed. His playstyle doesn’t fit mine at all, and I’ve grown annoyed as all hell seeing everyone play as him in tournaments just because MKLeo’s a god with him. His stage and soundtrack are infinitely more fun to me. At the end of the day, the only thing Joker really means to me is “His bombshell TGA reveal opened so many doors for more interesting characters”, which I guess ain’t nothing.

:ulthero: - This felt like a long time coming and I really respect how much love and care Sakurai/Sora Ltd. put into his design. Having four alts is just pure, unapologetic fan service. People hate the drop-down menu because it’s “too random”, but it adds such a unique and fun-as-balls twist to casual matches. I wish his music selection wasn’t absolute sh*t, but other than that, I think Hero’s a great addition.

:ultbanjokazooie: - So when I was a dumb nine-year-old playing Smash 64 for the first time, my only question was “Wait, where’s Banjo and Kazooie?” And after a two decade-long rollercoaster, that reveal trailer was everything to me. Their updated design is perfect, their stage is nothing short of gorgeous with all the easter eggs and HD character models, the music selection…admittedly could’ve had a few more songs from Tooie…and depriving us of a Mumbo Jumbo Mii outfit was criminal…and yes, I know everyone hates them because of their kit’s overreliance on Grenade Egg and Wonderwing…but in my mind, no joke, Ultimate’s roster wrapped with B&K. Everything that came afterwards was just toppings.

:ult_terry: - I didn’t know Terry existed until The SNK Leak. The only game I knew from that company at all was Metal Slug. I wasn’t exactly jumping for joy at his reveal, but seeing how much love Sakurai poured into his entire Pass was a blast to see. And at the end of the day, Terry is stupidly fun to play. He’s like a more bombastic Ryu/Ken while simultaneously having command inputs that feel easier to pull off. Solid inclusion, no real complaints.

:ultbyleth: - Like everyone else, it was hard not to be disappointed at her reveal trailer. Like, really hard. But once I got my hands on her, I found her moveset to be fun enough. I like their long reach and the risk/reward of committing to your heaviest attacks. And it is cool to get some 3 Houses representation in the game since it was a huge hit. If you just kept her, Robin, Marth, and Lucina and cut the rest of the FE cast, you’d have a very solid representation of the series, imo.

:ultminmin: - I love Min Min for all the reasons everyone else hates Min Min. I love how she doesn't play like any other character on the roster. I love how she's not the box mascot of her game. I love how she's a promoted Spirit. I love how ARMS was given a proper spot on the roster. I love how angry people get when they can't adapt to her playstyle. I love her chaotic stage. I love the music. I love how palpably furious people still are at all the choices made to bring her into Smash. Good sh*t, Min Min.

:ultsteve: - I’ve only played about 2 hours of Minecraft in my entire life and I’ve had the foresight to avoid all of the “Minecraft Youtuber”/cringe memes/etc that made certain secs of the internet hate the game over the years. To me, Steve and Minecraft in general was THE game of the 2010s and if any property “deserved” a spot in Smash, this was it. Seeing just how much work Sakurai’s team put into this character’s kit to make it as faithful and accurate as they could will always blow me away. A VERY welcome addition.

:ultsephiroth: - This reveal was…a lot for me. On one hand, seeing Square Enix get another character after seemingly being so stingy with Smash was huge. Seeing that it was f***ing Sephiroth was absolutely incredible. But a big chunk of me did feel super weird that Sephiroth was getting a spot before Robotnik, who now feels notably absent from this game’s roster. That being said, seeing FF7 finally get the music tracks, Spirits, Mii costumes, and stage representation that it deserved from the beginning was VERY satisfying.

:ultpyra: - When they were first revealed, I popped hard for so many reasons. I’ve never touched a XC game, but I knew how big a fanbase it had and how much Sakurai wanted to squeeze it into base game. So seeing such fan favorite characters get the roster treatment along with the reintroduction of Melee’s transformation gimmick made me stupidly happy.

And they also play, um…really well. Like, this may be the scariest character we’ve gotten in terms of a well-balanced kit and crazy efficient kill potential in either of the two Passes. I genuinely can’t wait to see what the pros do with them in the future, cause…yeah. Dang.

It helps that they’re a lot more fun for me personally to play as Joker. Like, the learning curve is sizeable, but they feel more satisfying than Joker to me. That’s always a plus.

All in all, yeah, Pass 1 had more “heavy hitters”, but I’m definitely a lot more satisfied with the gaps that Pass 2 has been filling in so far. Crazy to imagine that there’s still two entire slots left…

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think that's part of the reason creators/companies trust him with their creations, because he understands them and he does them justice. He's obviously a very talented guy, from game design to character design to writing. His ethos doesn't really match that of the hardcore Smash player, but he's very skilled at setting out to realize the product he envisions.

And you can tell the contrast when someone else handles the trailers. I mean, I think the "story" of the P/M trailer just wasn't very well done, and actual reveal part was... uninspired? It's hard to articulate. It seemed fan-level to me.

"Where's Pyra?"
"Have you seen Pyra? No?"
"Have you seen Pyra? No"
"Where's Pyra?"
"Oh, there's Pyra"
"Hey Rex I'm in Smash"

Leave the trailers to Sakurai, methinks.

Some people call for his departure from Smash, but I'm not sure you'd end up liking the result any more. I think those calls come from people who imagine his replacement would magically have all the same priorities they do. But if someone from EPD took over, I think we'd end up even further away.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think that's part of the reason creators/companies trust him with their creations, because he understands them and he does them justice. He's obviously a very talented guy, from game design to character design to writing. His ethos doesn't really match that of the hardcore Smash player, but he's very skilled at setting out to realize the product he envisions.

And you can tell the contrast when someone else handles the trailers. I mean, I think the "story" of the P/M trailer just wasn't very well done, and actual reveal part was... uninspired? It's hard to articulate. It seemed fan-level to me.

"Where's Pyra?"
"Have you seen Pyra? No"
"Where's Pyra?"
"Oh, there's Pyra"
"Hey Rex I'm in Smash"

Some people call for his departure from Smash, but I'm not sure you'd end up liking the result any more. I think those calls come from people who imagine his replacement would magically have all the same priorities they do. But if someone from EPD took over, I think we'd end up even further away.
The vast majority of Smash fans love Sakurai and would prefer to see him direct Smash games forever. It’s just the guys been working on this series for a long while now, and he’s not getting any younger, so it’s reasonable to think he might step down soon, especially when you think about how miraculous of a game Ultimate is. It’s a helluva swan song to end on, if that’s what he chooses to do.

Polan

Smash Lord
i remember back in the smash 4 days there was definitely a large group that wanted him gone, mostly because of character choices. now post-ultimate the only people that want him actively gone are a couple of weirdos that want some specific character and some comp smash players. definitely not as bad.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
no you dont understand
nintendo stuff in smash = cut costs, low budget, shill
non-nintendo stuff in smash = perfect, high budget, not shill
So what you're saying is, if we somehow manage to get Balan from Balan Wonderworld as a playable character, it WON'T be a shill pick?

Hehe, everyone would be so mad... EXCEPT ME, BABY!!!!!!!

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Broke: I like Sakurai, I hope he keeps working on Smash! / I hate Sakurai, I want him gone!
WOKE: I like Sakurai, I want him gone for his own health! / I hate Sakurai, I hope he keeps working on Smash until he falls apart!

Koopaul

Smash Champion

"Where's Pyra?"
"Have you seen Pyra? No"
"Where's Pyra?"
"Oh, there's Pyra"
"Hey Rex I'm in Smash"

It's similar to the Isabelle trailer. It's a fake out trailer that, instead of introducing the who the fighter is, it reveals that it's Smash all along. Isabelle was basically doing chores in her New Leaf office and then gets a letter inviting her to Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's similar to the Isabelle trailer. It's a fake out trailer that, instead of introducing the who the fighter is, it reveals that it's Smash all along. Isabelle was basically doing chores in her New Leaf office and then gets a letter inviting her to Smash.
...there have been plenty of fake-out trailers. A lot of them were quite good. Joker, Inkling, Mii, Rosalina, etc. Basically any trailer that doesn't start with the Smash intro. This one felt... awkward, sorta? To me it did.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
**** it my final two are gonna be oddballs

CP10. Either Reimu or Ahri
And
CP11. Octoling

idc what y’all say. Ultimate started with Splatoon. IT WILL END WITH SPLATOON. SQUID SISTERS MIIS BE DAMNED.
Given you consider Octoling could be Base Content that was left out as this Pass seems to be based on.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing about the Byleth trailer was it was clearly meant to also be a fake-out trailer, but when whatever plans they had shifted and it was put into a Smash presentation, it lost the element of surprise.

Not saying that would've spared Byleth from getting lit up, just that the trailer obviously wasn't shown in the context it was originally conceived to be.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
The thing about the Byleth trailer was it was clearly meant to also be a fake-out trailer, but when whatever plans they had shifted and it was put into a Smash presentation, it lost the element of surprise.

Not saying that would've spared Byleth from getting lit up, just that the trailer obviously wasn't shown in the context it was originally conceived to be.
Hence the Game Award rumors?

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Yeah compared to Byleth's. Pyra and Mythra's Trailers were masterpieces.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I just realised. Remember how we all kept asking for Mii Swordfighter to get more costumes and a Premium costume?

We got 3 Mii Swordfighter costumes(5 if you count the Male & Female Hunter costumes as separate) and a hat that can also be put onto Mii Swordfighter. We literally only got Mii Swordfighter costumes this pack.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Wow, Hazardless Alrest is an incredible stage and Pyra and Mythra are a joy to use. This pack is amazing.
I'm guessing Azurda doesn't move around on Hazardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom