• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I mean, at the end of the day, let it be known that as much as I talked about Monster Hunter, it was me pushing the conspiracy that "It'd be weird as hell for the Miis to NOT show up here, due to Rise's timed exclusivity."

I feel validated.... at the cost of playable Hunter.

A soul, for a soul.
This is all I could think of.
92CD3777-BFFB-4399-AF7C-D3949DA127AA.jpeg

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If it can work for Hero, it can work exactly the same way for Phoenix, considering that they've proven with Hero that they can do full model swaps. It wouldn't need to be an echo fighter.
I don't know, I think there's a difference. The Heroes are basically avatars with very minimal personality in their games. All the alt characters in Smash have the same animations as the main character, except for Byleth (maybe Corrin and Robin as well, I'm not sure now) who has a different idle pose and I think that's it lol.

While in terms of moveset I kinda could see Apollo doing the same stuff as Phoenix animation wise, Edgeworth or Mia not so much. If they were alts each one should have different taunts as well because they have different personalities, unlike the Heroes or other avatar characters in Smash. Which certainly wouldn't be impossible, but at that point I'd honestly prefer just Phoenox Wright.

Pillow

Smash Lord
If it can work for Hero, it can work exactly the same way for Phoenix, considering that they've proven with Hero that they can do full model swaps. It wouldn't need to be an echo fighter.
He would need at least 3 others to be like Hero with each having a base and an alt color scheme. I guess Godot could work? It really depends on what Phoenix's moveset looks like though. If Maya appears for any of his moves then none of these characters would work well as alternate costumes. In that case then it could just be Phoenix and Apollo with Maya being replaced with Trucy.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its funny that the Monster Hunter Mii Costumes arguably are the returning DLC whose status has changed the most since their appearances in Smash 4 vs now. Then it wouldn't be all that out there to say they belonged to a beloved IP in Japan that's liked but not wholly loved in the West.

Now its become so big and with a timed exclusive to Nintendo so significant that they were in serious speculative circles about appearing as a fighter even after getting an Assist Trophy, World of Light section, and a boss character.

It makes me wonder if a truly functional and interesting MH fighter will be something finally realized and formulated by the time the next Smash game hits.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
He would need at least 3 others to be like Hero with each having a base and an alt color scheme. I guess Godot could work? It really depends on what Phoenix's moveset looks like though. If Maya appears for any of his moves then none of these characters would work well as alternate costumes.
Not entirely. It could be more like Steve without Alex. 6 Phoenixes and 2 skins for Apollo and Edgeworth respectively. Though I do agree Maya would kill the other two as alts. Maybe not Apollo cause Trucy might fit but I don’t think anything other than the character themselves has been changed like that.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
Not entirely. It could be more like Steve without Alex. 6 Phoenixes and 2 skins for Apollo and Edgeworth respectively. Though I do agree Maya would kill the other two as alts. Maybe not Apollo cause Trucy might fit but I don’t think anything other than the character themselves has been changed like that.
I forgot about Steve's alts. Honestly Enderman is a very weird alt. His frame data is exactly the same as Steve's but he looks much thinner.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, if Tales of happens, I feel confident it'll be NOT Lloyd.

Lloyd's the Nintendo fan pick, but Yuri(Or hell, Velvet), would be the ones that the Japanese would like more.
Pretty much, im not expecting Lloyd to win the "Tales rep" competition, its either Yuri or someone else

Pillow

Smash Lord

Lloyd's the Nintendo fan pick, but Yuri(Or hell, Velvet), would be the ones that the Japanese would like more.
I know Yuri's more popular with Smash fans (or rather, Nintendo fans) but I think if a new series is to be represented in Smash it would be best to represent that series fanbase rather than the existing Smash fanbase. It's for this reason I prefer Yuri, though I have no real attachment to either character (I've played both Symphonia and Vesperia and thought they were okay but they didn't resonate with me long term).

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
It would be a dream come true to have Velvet here, she is my favorite tales character
Same here, it was Judith, Tear, & Sheena tied before I played Tales of Berseria..now it's my fav game in the series (and one of my fav games ever), it's such an emotional journey and feel very different from any Tales game I've played before. Velvet is my fav character for sure though and even beyond that the way she attacks would make for an awesome, very unique moveset.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Same here, it was Judith, Tear, & Sheena tied before I played Tales of Berseria..now it's my fav game in the series (and one of my fav games ever), it's such an emotional journey and feel very different from any Tales game I've played before. Velvet is my fav character for sure though and even beyond that the way she attacks would make for an awesome, very unique moveset.
My favorite is Pascal...but no one talks about her. :079:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

Velvet's more of a western pick than Lloyd is, she's not nearly as popular as other protags in Japan, even with recency bias on her side

Firox

Smash Master
Comparing characters to Smash 4 Bayo based on footage that's 2 months old and no concrete stats isn't speculation, it's fearmongering
The lack of concrete stats doesn't mean people can't use their eyes. Have we historically seen a big difference between Sakurai presentations and the finished product? What do you call spitting sarcasm over a speculated opinion? And for the record, I for one was emphasizing how Pythra is NOT like Sm4sh Bayo.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
I know that Lloyd represents the whole Tales franchise better since he is the most recognizable character, but his moveset wouldn't be soo interesting considering the other choices we have, there is only 2 spots left and i'm sure that one of those are for another sword user.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
He would need at least 3 others to be like Hero with each having a base and an alt color scheme. I guess Godot could work? It really depends on what Phoenix's moveset looks like though. If Maya appears for any of his moves then none of these characters would work well as alternate costumes. In that case then it could just be Phoenix and Apollo with Maya being replaced with Trucy.
Well, if his moveset doesn't involve Maya at all, then Edgeworth would definitely fit as an alt.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Well, if his moveset doesn't involve Maya at all, then Edgeworth would definitely fit as an alt.
Well Maya, or anything unique to Phoenix such as his Magatama. Even in something like basic attacks might be hard to translate between the two, as Phoenix looks much more natural making comedic or overdramatic poses than Edgeworth would (like if his moveset involved tripping or sneezing or something). I agree that Edgeworth could conceivably be an alternate skin, but it would only happen if Sakurai didn't feel like he was sacrificing moveset potential to do so.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
By the way, since we're all thrown for a loop at this point I'm just gonna throw something wild out there for the sake of discussion.

I'm feeling like Master Chief could still happen. The "one per company" rule is something we've pretty much established arbitrarily, but when really putting it into perspective... how much overlap to Chief have with Steve? Or Banjo for that matter? All three of these characters have their own individual legacies to carry and all just happen to be owned by Microsoft. Their potential audiences barely overlap.

Given the opportunity to add the face of the FPS genre and one of the most iconic video game characters of all time, pretty much the ULTIMATE western character and one that would result in Sonic and Cloud level mind-blowing, bringing a brand new audience's eyes toward Smash... if they have one final big fat surprise to unload on us I think that's just about the best they can do. I dunno, might feel differently about it tomorrow but I've always felt like I can't completely dismiss Chief because of what I said before.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Not a single reference to Luke from Tales Of The Abyss?

Luke would be cool.
Luke is best boi

I absolutely love his character development - he starts as the spoiled unlikeable brat, but he changes. And boi does he change. He becomes more mature, empathetic...

I need to beat ToTA 3DS... man.

Pillow

Smash Lord
By the way, since we're all thrown for a loop at this point I'm just gonna throw something wild out there for the sake of discussion.

I'm feeling like Master Chief could still happen. The "one per company" rule is something we've pretty much established arbitrarily, but when really putting it into perspective... how much overlap to Chief have with Steve? Or Banjo for that matter? All three of these characters have their own individual legacies to carry and all just happen to be owned by Microsoft.

Given the opportunity to add the face of the FPS genre and one of the most iconic video game characters of all time, pretty much the ULTIMATE western character and one that would result in Sonic and Cloud level mind-blowing, bringing a brand new audience's eyes toward Smash... if they have one final big fat surprise to unload on us I think that's just about the best they can do. I dunno, might feel differently about it tomorrow but I've always felt like I can't completely dismiss Chief because of what I said before.
I think Chief is legitimately very likely. If not for the "1 per company" thing, I'd say he would be the most likely Western character above Crash. Halo as a franchise is just massive, and much bigger than pretty much any franchise still on the table for Smash. If Nintendo cared about ending DLC with a bang, then Chief would be it, and I don't think any other character could generate as much buzz as he would.

Who's ready for

"ANOTHER ANIME SWORDFIGHTER?!"

:4pacman:
Sirfetch'd quacks into battle!

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its not much of a prediction, but my thinking is that we'll get a Western and Japanese character to end the pass. While the former has fewer candidates given the tendency of Smash DLC to appeal to both markets (suggesting maybe a Crash or Dovahkiin) the latter is much more of an open field. Namco, Capcom, Konami, Koei Tecmo, the sky's the limit. Even Nintendo still feels on the table, though a gen 8 Pokémon (seemingly the biggest frontrunner) just feels a bit less likely now than it did.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
At this point any character with a sword is kinda in a bad position. Not in terms of chances, but in terms of reception.

If we get one as CP10, people will complain even more than usual. "3 sword characters in a row? This is ridiculous"
If we get one as CP11, then people will complain because the last Ultimate character is a swordfighter.

Bonus points if the character is not a popular one. Unless we get someone like Sora or maybe Dante, I feel any sword character will get even more complains than usual if we get another one lol

Granted, almost any character from now on will get more **** than they would get if they were added earlier because it looks like Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate, but still.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
At this point any character with a sword is kinda in a bad position. Not in terms of chances, but in terms of reception.

If we get one as CP10, people will complain even more than usual. "3 sword characters in a row? This is ridiculous"
If we get one as CP11, then people will complain because the last Ultimate character is a swordfighter.

Bonus points if the character is not a popular one. Unless we get someone like Sora or maybe Dante, I feel any sword character will get even more complains than usual if we get another one lol

Granted, almost any character from now on will get more **** than they would get if they were added earlier because it looks like Pass 2 is the end of Ultimate, but still.
Yeah, I kinda feel that as well. I feel that for alot of people Pyra and Mythra were the "Okay cool, but thats enough Swordies now..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom