• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think League is probably next when it comes to Western Third Party Fighters in Smash. Mostly because of China and Tencent. The fact That Tencent was able to bring the Switch into China, and the fact that Nintendo trusts them enough to even release a Console of theirs in a Region they've historically had a rough time in says a lot for Nintendo and Tencent's Relationship. So that alone is singlehandedly more of a Relationship than what Activision has with the Big N. That and the fact that a Chinese Translation is already done, if they were to ever release Smash Ultimate in China, then I 100% think Nintendo would try and prioritize a character from League due to its popularity over in China. That and League has a wide variety of options, 154 to choose from, and they're all wildly unique from anything we've seen in Smash as of now. Now, just because I'm saying the argument, doesn't mean that I want this character, I actually really don't want it specifically because of the Chinese Government's Involvement in literally owning Tencent. I'm just saying that there's a compelling argument to be made here.
abfbwfa877.png

It's always possible but never guaranteed

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah, especially considering that 3/10 FP characters aren't even on the Switch outside of spinoffs and ports.
Joker, Banjo-Kazooie, is this a fraction? Who’s the Third Fighter? Either way I do think League getting a Fighter is extremely likely if we do get another Western Character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Then why aren’t you counting FFVII the same way? Wouldn’t it also be considered “Virtual Console” under your definition?
If you want to get specific, Banjo and Kazooie are the only FP characters who are not on the Switch in any form outside of Smash.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
If you want to get specific, Banjo and Kazooie are the only FP characters who are not on the Switch in any form outside of Smash.
Yeah. And if we bring in not getting Main games on Switch, then we can also bring in Joker as well.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Think he was referring to the original eight series specifically
This.

I know there are many franchises without an AT (lol Final Fantasy) namely the new DLC franchises in Smash, but out of the OG 8, you'll think that Poochy or Kamek would get as Assists.

Then again, we had to wait until Ultimate for DKC to FINALLY get an AT.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What makes you think that?
Perhaps I was confusing it for something else then. Thought it was among the so-called Base content.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Some also considering Crash given the whole 5 years like Steve. In this case, it could be possible as mentioned by someone earlier this could have been similar to Snake being too late for Melee or Sonic delaying Brawl.

I recall you also mentioned Octoling.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I support Don Chan for Smash, why?

Because Taiko Drum Master is the only Namco franchise to have crossed over with the peak of culture: Jimmy Neutron.

Has Idolmaster or Tales crossed over with Jimmy Nuetron? i don't think so.

Also this means Jimmy Neutron is indirectly connected to Touhou, because it also has songs on later Taiko Drum games.

Firox

Smash Master
So I know the topic was a few pages back (this thread moves at light speed) but I thought it was funny to see people strawmanning the whole "Smash is for good boys and girls" argument, saying that it was being weaponized against virtually ALL females characters as a basis for gatekeeping. While I have no doubt that some people use the quote as their gatekeeping of choice, we should recognize some obvious differences between Mai Shiranui and the rest of the video game female cadre. Like saying that prudes would have gone ballistic on the likes of Rosalina or Zero Suit? Come on now. Characters aren't expected to be fighting in burkas. Visible skin in a general sense (ie, wrists, lower legs, arms) does not automatically = BAD. Zero Suit is relatively curvaceous, but even her "booty shorts" alt covers her upper thighs and all cleavage. Compare that to Mai's nipple strips and loin cloth. We're talking 40-50% exposed skin (worst case) to upwards of 80% exposed skin in the raciest places. It's obvious that Mai's traditional design is not generally accepted as E10+ rating material and redesigning her would have sparked controversy between fans and SNK.

Pyra/Mythra are proof that 90+% of the video game females out there are easily viable for getting into Smash. Bust size and figure are obviously not the problem, it's the exposure. That means that the likes of Lara Croft, Kat, Tifa etc. could easily make it if Sakurai and the powers that be choose to do so. Not sure why there's so much exaggeration over a single quote.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Perhaps I was confusing it for something else then. Thought it was among the so-called Base content.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Some also considering Crash given the whole 5 years like Steve. In this case, it could be possible as mentioned by someone earlier this could have been similar to Snake being too late for Melee or Sonic delaying Brawl.

Yeah, only pieces of Octo Expansion content are the spirits of Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy (aka Agent 8), and Octoling Octopus. No spirits of C. Q. Cumber, Iso Padre, OE versions of Off the Hook and Cap’n Cuttlefish, the Phone, etc. no OE music, in fact Splatoon 2’s base music lacks the Hero Mode music too

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

Do you have any evidence for why you though that?

I know the Crash document is a thing and that is probably Baloney and so is the Chun-li/Tales rumor. The Monster Hunter one too seems to only be perpetuated by rumors and that weird music listing.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
In terms of my old predictions, that being Hayabusa and Phoenix Wright. I’m not so sure, I got burned so bad last direct my confidence isn’t great. I still think they have a good chance. But not as much the certainty’s I was looking at.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So I know the topic was a few pages back (this thread moves at light speed) but I thought it was funny to see people strawmanning the whole "Smash is for good boys and girls" argument, saying that it was being weaponized against virtually ALL females characters as a basis for gatekeeping. While I have no doubt that some people use the quote as their gatekeeping of choice, we should recognize some obvious differences between Mai Shiranui and the rest of the video game female cadre. Like saying that prudes would have gone ballistic on the likes of Rosalina or Zero Suit? Come on now. Characters aren't expected to be fighting in burkas. Visible skin in a general sense (ie, wrists, lower legs, arms) does not automatically = BAD. Zero Suit is relatively curvaceous, but even her "booty shorts" alt covers her upper thighs and all cleavage. Compare that to Mai's nipple strips and loin cloth. We're talking 40-50% exposed skin (worst case) to upwards of 80% exposed skin in the raciest places. It's obvious that Mai's traditional design is not generally accepted as E10+ rating material and redesigning her would have sparked controversy between fans and SNK.

Pyra/Mythra are proof that 90+% of the video game females out there are easily viable for getting into Smash. Bust size and figure are obviously not the problem, it's the exposure. That means that the likes of Lara Croft, Kat, Tifa etc. could easily make it if Sakurai and the powers that be choose to do so. Not sure why there's so much exaggeration over a single quote.
That's kinda the point.

We were trying to say that most female characters are easily viable. Problem is, some people in the past have taken that quote as to mean any female characters with some skin exposure were off the table and then went around parading that as fact, completely ignoring the fact that Mai's design is an especially exaggerated case and it probably wasn't worth it to do all these tweaks just for a stage cameo

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
One thing that had in favour MH is that Nintendo likes to save the last spot for a “character whose game is currently being played by WiiU/Switch fans”, that criteria fits with Corrin and Byleth (FE Fates was released the same month in the west as in Smash 4, 6 months before in japan and Three Houses was also released 6 months before Ultimate).

And we know that MH Rise is one of the biggest Switch exclusives of this year (at least the first half), so maybe they will get the last spot of this FP2. CP11 is likely to be released by September/October, and that is 6/7 months later than MH Rise release, it fits the same timeline as Corrin and Byleth. Not to mention that is almost guaranteed that the same will receive updates and DLC content.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I just finished Little nightmares 2 (great game by the way) and this made me think about how both protagonists (Mono, the guy with the bag on his head and Six, the girl with the yellow coat) could make great and funny mii. Also Little nightmares is a Namco ip so it could probably be done with little to no negociations and the second game just came out so it would do a small advertising for the game.
3797878-little-nightmares-ii.jpg

SKX31

Smash Master
Honestly, I think League is probably next when it comes to Western Third Party Fighters in Smash. Mostly because of China and Tencent. The fact That Tencent was able to bring the Switch into China, and the fact that Nintendo trusts them enough to even release a Console of theirs in a Region they've historically had a rough time in says a lot for Nintendo and Tencent's Relationship. So that alone is singlehandedly more of a Relationship than what Activision has with the Big N. That and the fact that a Chinese Translation is already done, if they were to ever release Smash Ultimate in China, then I 100% think Nintendo would try and prioritize a character from League due to its popularity over in China. That and League has a wide variety of options, 154 to choose from, and they're all wildly unique from anything we've seen in Smash as of now. Now, just because I'm saying the argument, doesn't mean that I want this character, I actually really don't want it specifically because of the Chinese Government's Involvement in literally owning Tencent. I'm just saying that there's a compelling argument to be made here.
Besides what cashregister9 cashregister9 said:

As far as I'm aware, none of the Switch games officially released there so far have had significant alterations to their content. Admittedly, that's because they've gone through an extremely strict approval process. There are games that have included stuff for the release in Mainland China, but unless that's officially the case for Smash we can't say for sure.

And really, that would be extremely difficult at best for Nintendo to say outright. And not just because of geopolitical considerations - athough that's a possibly major factor - but also since it's uncharted waters for Nintendo to say "Hey, we're adding X character because of Y region!" They didn't say that for Terry, even if there was an assumption that Latin America played a part there. [FTR, I'm going with the assumption that Terry's popularity in Japan, China and LatAm was a bonus, but not the primary reason because SNK influenced Sakurai's game design heavily.]

Not that LoL's chances are dependent on that really, even if popularity is always a plus.

Also, Tencent's a private company and not owned by the Chinese government. In fact, Tencent's largest shareowner is South Africa-based fintech and ad company Naspers (via its international asset arm Prosus at 31 %), and it's incorporated in the Cayman Islands (they outright said that in their official report). Tencent and the Chinese government work very closely to each other though, even if they fight each other over major stuff too (as I noted previously) - in fact, Tencent's rise can be largely attributed to its social media arm being able to grow and diversify without much scrutiny. And thusly, Tencent was able to leverage their position to buy stuff that interested them and build further.

My guess: Even if Pyra and Mythra happen to have a same day release, it will be unrelated to them.

I'm guessing a tourney in which everyone is tiny.
In other words: Even more instances of characters pancaking under attacks, items etc.? Sounds fun! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think if Nintendo/Sakurai wanted a character, I don't think they would let something like a revealing outfit keep them from getting in. They already showed with Pyra and Mythra that they are willing to edit their outfits to make them more suitable for an E rated game. I personally don't have any problem with that and I'm hoping Velvet Crowe can get in with a similar edit.

As far as League of Legends goes, I am cool with pretty much any character but since I've never played the games, I don't really have a connection with any of them. Pretty much every hero in LoL looks really cool so I totally wouldn't mind them in Smash. My personal preference is that we get a Warcraft or Starcraft character but I've already made my case about that so I don't think I really need to get into why I think they are deserving unless anybody else wants to discuss that.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think if Nintendo/Sakurai wanted a character, I don't think they would let something like a revealing outfit keep them from getting in. They already showed with Pyra and Mythra that they are willing to edit their outfits to make them more suitable for an E rated game. I personally don't have any problem with that and I'm hoping Velvet Crowe can get in with a similar edit.
I think it could be potentially a bigger problem with third party characters. Like editing Pyra/Mythra was probably easy, but maybe some third party wouldn't want their characters change too much (like Sonic alts are just shades of blue and Pac-man alts only change his boots). That being said I don't think it would be a major problem for a Namco characters.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Velvet Crowe as the Tales of rep?
075.jpg

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Said this before. Given Monster Hunter is a possibility among the last two. They would use the Rise incarnation of both the male and female and coming with them would be the Monster Hunter Miis from Sm4sh.

I can see this being a possible and likely case.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only real shoo-in at this point that I can think of is like, Pokemon. That's a sad reality, but if it happens, can't really deny it when it's Nintendo corporates (ft. Sephiroth's #1 fan) at the hands of picking. Maybe Sephiroth was thrown in to make amends with the lack of FF7 content in general, perhaps? It's certainly calling to OG FF7 & Advent Children and not its competitor-exclusive remake. Otherwise, everything makes total sense from a sales & marketing standpoint.

That isn't to say everything here is meant to be advertiser-friendly, but it is at least a noticeable trend. I can't predict the characters Nintendo would choose or why they would, but it does leave room for discussion on at least one more character, assuming Generation Ei- :sick:, Generation 8 isn't already included.

I hope it's at least Rillaboom so I can at least like the shill pick if it comes to that. All the muh cinderace statistic analysis posts mean nothing to me when the same people were doing the same to Decidueye last time.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So I just watched today's Washagana TV and Sakurai was saying that too many swordfighter thing is just something he cannot help since it's not up to him to decide about characters.
He also said that it's okay for him whether a character wields a sword or not, if he can make the character work properly and be balanced in the game. Swordfighters are kawaii compared to someone like Steve when you see from the planner's point of view.
Nothing new really tho.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I just watched today's Washagana TV and Sakurai was saying that too many swordfighter thing is just something he cannot help since it's not up to him to decide about characters.
He also said that it's okay for him whether a character wields a sword or not, if he can make the character work properly and be balanced in the game. Swordfighters are kawaii compared to someone like Steve when you see from the planner's point of view.
Nothing new really tho.
Wait, what's Washagana TV?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nothing new really tho.
Does he appear there often?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I think being on Switch matters to some extent. 8/10 of the DLC characters (that is including Plant) have a little blurb on their page that says "Appears In:" and then what game they appear in. I mean for christ's sake, they need to remind people that Piranha Plant appears in "Super Mario Bros."
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.32.21 AM.png

Like no REALLY???

Nothing new really tho.
Honestly this is just the case of Smash being a game based off of existing IPs and not original creations. If Nintendo wanted Ninja Gaiden to be represented for exxample, Sakurai isn't going to give Ryu Hayabusa a wand just for the sake of less swordfighters. He'll HAVE to give him a sword because it's his main weapon.

D

Deleted member

I think being on Switch matters to some extent. 8/10 of the DLC characters (that is including Plant) have a little blurb on their page that says "Appears In:" and then what game they appear in. I mean for christ's sake, they need to remind people that Piranha Plant appears in "Super Mario Bros."
View attachment 305617
Like no REALLY???

Honestly this is just the case of Smash being a game based off of existing IPs and not original creations. If Nintendo wanted Ninja Gaiden to be represented for exxample, Sakurai isn't going to give Ryu Hayabusa a wand just for the sake of less swordfighters. He'll HAVE to give him a sword because it's his main weapon.
Oh s*** it was Super Mario Bros. he appeared in? I thought it was Little Shop of Horrors for the NES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom