• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Noticed a couple people were beginning to slip into the mindset of "Everyone NEEDS to fit under Second Chance Theory" a couple pages back. As the guy who made a thread dedicated to Second Chance, I'd like to say that it does not have to apply to every fighter and it's entirely possible that CP10 and/or CP11 have nothing to do with Second Chance. In fact, we've already had something like that before with Byleth as the sole first-party in FP1. Plus, Sepliroth isn't confirmed to fit in with the theory either; It's all speculation with him. There's a chance that Min Min, Pyra, and Steve are the only one who actually fit in with the theory, and the rest were decided without loose ends on the mind.

Bottom line, Second Chance Theory is for seeing who could be likely, but not for taking someone off the table. You shouldn't go around trying to squeeze every future fighter into the theory just to make it work.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Of course, all this could be for nothing, and we could just get the costumes to appear in 2 days time.

If they don't though?..... Well, we still got a spirit event to dodge.

But if it dodges that....?

Well, it doesn't mean anything either since they can appear wherever, but I will say, if we're on CP11, and we've neither gotten the costumes back, NOR a Rise spirit event, consider me all in on MonHun.
I don't know if a Rise spirit event kills Monster Hunter tbh. I could just as easily see it representing World or a variety from across the series.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
It still bothers me that Pirahna Plant doesn't have a fireball attack in Smash. That's one of the main things they're known for.
Closest he has is the back air. Yeah characters do that sometimes. They have attacks you'd think would be shoe-ins but no. It took until Ultimate for Wario to get his shoulder bash as his dash attack.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
i wish they brought back custom moves so i could make echo fighters less echo
I... wouldn't enjoy this. Maybe this is me being weird, but custom moves have always felt like a bad experience. Either I feel like I've gone into a match without the best moveset I could have, or I've turned it off and feel like I'm missing out on a part of the game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know if a Rise spirit event kills Monster Hunter tbh. I could just as easily see it representing World or a variety from across the series.
The thing with that is that if there was a big Monster Hunter pack in the pipeline, the Monster Hunter content would be saved for that. The Spirit team would most likely know who's coming next, and choose the Spirits accordingly to avoid overlap. A Rise event wouldn't be the one to kill MH; It would just bring the death to light.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
This “Second Chance” theory talk reminded me of a good point that ALongWistfulSquiggle ALongWistfulSquiggle made regarding FP2:

I do feel like we happened to stumble on a pattern that's true, but also incredibly fragile. There's no guarantee we will get any more leftover characters, even after getting three in a row. Remember when Sakurai said that he originally thought a couple extra fighters would be good enough? That could imply that this pass isn't just a pass of leftovers, but that some were completely new additions in terms of rights and workflow. I just feel like we're running straight into a second Byleth situation where we're going to be caught off guard and potentially disappointed because of expectations that were based on getting a complete set that was never promised.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
This “Second Chance” theory talk reminded me of a good point that ALongWistfulSquiggle ALongWistfulSquiggle made regarding FP2:
I think that's a solid point. However, we don't really know exactly who are all the second chancers and which ones Sakurai and Nintendo decided to put in the pass. Min Min and Pyra are totally ones, Sephiroth and Steve are also likely ones but for all we know whoever we get next could also be a second chancer in Sakurai's eyes and we overlooked them or never considered them to be one.

The easy example would be to say Crash is a second chance character and we just never got a chance to learn about it but there are likely many characters who could apply. For all we know, Dante and Pheonix Wright are considered. Maybe Resident Evil could actually be back on the menu?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
So I know the topic was a few pages back (this thread moves at light speed) but I thought it was funny to see people strawmanning the whole "Smash is for good boys and girls" argument, saying that it was being weaponized against virtually ALL females characters as a basis for gatekeeping. While I have no doubt that some people use the quote as their gatekeeping of choice, we should recognize some obvious differences between Mai Shiranui and the rest of the video game female cadre. Like saying that prudes would have gone ballistic on the likes of Rosalina or Zero Suit? Come on now. Characters aren't expected to be fighting in burkas. Visible skin in a general sense (ie, wrists, lower legs, arms) does not automatically = BAD. Zero Suit is relatively curvaceous, but even her "booty shorts" alt covers her upper thighs and all cleavage. Compare that to Mai's nipple strips and loin cloth. We're talking 40-50% exposed skin (worst case) to upwards of 80% exposed skin in the raciest places. It's obvious that Mai's traditional design is not generally accepted as E10+ rating material and redesigning her would have sparked controversy between fans and SNK.

Pyra/Mythra are proof that 90+% of the video game females out there are easily viable for getting into Smash. Bust size and figure are obviously not the problem, it's the exposure. That means that the likes of Lara Croft, Kat, Tifa etc. could easily make it if Sakurai and the powers that be choose to do so. Not sure why there's so much exaggeration over a single quote.
You're right. There's a clear difference in design between characters such as Mai or Peach, for example. I'm not discussing that. But I think Speed Weed explained better what I was trying to say before.

The thing is, after Mai and the infamous quote provided by Sakurai you always see people using his words when people discusses "sexy" female characters. Maybe some people aren't doing that in bad faith and are just memeing, but there are people who truly believes some female characters have less chances to become playable characters in Smash because of their designs. I've seen this more on social media than here, I must say.
Then Pyra and Mythra happened, and a decent amount of fans on the internet seem somewhat confused. "Sakurai really told us Smash was for good boys and girls then he added Pyra and Mythra lmao". Like they don't seem to get that Mai was an unique case, and having big boobs isn't a forbidden thing at all in Smash. Not to say, boobs are... a feature all female characters in the roster already have, or any woman in real life, so I don't understand people when I see them paying so MUCH attention to Pyra's and Mythra's.

It makes me think some were disappointed with both girls, which is okay, but proceed use any excuse to criticize their inclusion to the roster.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It still bothers me that Pirahna Plant doesn't have a fireball attack in Smash. That's one of the main things they're known for.
On the otherhand, how bittersweet it is that this single move does more to acknowledge the first three Paper Mario games than the actual Paper Mario games nowadays.

Putrid Piranha SSBU.jpg

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Aegis without Driver Rex does show that the origin game’s lore and gameplay can be disregarded if there’s an angle to a moveset that’s unique to Smash.
I'll admit that in that post I sold Midgardsormr a bit short there, so I'll concede on that.

I will say though, that while the gameplay can be disregarded, that doesn't mean it has to be either. Unlike Pyra/Mythra, you don't absolutely need Euden to have the Dragon Transformation mechanic in the game as Midgardsormr can transform from anyone and Zelthia (or rather Zena) can transform into any dragon. So if they didn't want Euden that doesn't mean the mechanic has to be ditched, they can still attach it to the other characters and represent it that way, and that is one angle for a moveset that you can use for either of those characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aside from Miis, basic gameplay and the classic modes what else do you think they could fit in those 35 or so minutes?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aside from Miis, basic gameplay and the classic modes what else do you think they could fit in those 35 or so minutes?
The reveal of the next set of amiibos for one.

Optimistically hoping for a Pass 3 announced if not an Echo Pack or post-Pass 2 individual DLC but I'm not counting on it.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh yeah also I imagine they’d save the tourney for when the characters actually release

so tonight

I’m expecting... a generic themed spirit event with already available spirits

watch as I’m miraculously wrong and there ARE new spirits...reverse psychology!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Oh yeah also I imagine they’d save the tourney for when the characters actually release

so tonight

I’m expecting... a generic themed spirit event with already available spirits

watch as I’m miraculously wrong and there ARE new spirits...reverse psychology!
Monke's Paw %$#@ing coils upon itself

LoL Spirit Event

:4pacman:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Closest he has is the back air. Yeah characters do that sometimes. They have attacks you'd think would be shoe-ins but no. It took until Ultimate for Wario to get his shoulder bash as his dash attack.
The saddest part about back air is that Plant will self-destruct if you fast fall with it (at least at a certain point) off stage due to the endlag. Which adds a dose of irony - that one of Plant's most iconic aspects can now kill it.

That's not to say that Back Air is useless, far from it:

Thus, back aerial is moreso used for hard reads or covering high recoveries where Piranha Plant is able to land. It also is able to break shields that are damaged enough, thanks to its unexpectedly high damage for one of Piranha Plant's aerials.

While back aerial's endlag makes it quite committal to use, it works well enough as a punish tool from the air, and when combined with jump fake outs, can make it very deadly against whiffs. The large hitbox also makes it very good as an air-to-air, especially against characters with low attack range, and when spaced, can be safe on shield. This makes back aerial a good move to use when opponents least expect it, and can net early kills as a result especially from the ledge.
But still, it's a pretty good contrast to Wario's shoulder bash - it isn't a mixed bag for Wario since now he has a kill-confirm that's not a Smash attack / Waft for much less risk than Plant's flame based Back Air.

LoL Spirit Event

All 150+ playable LoL characters + Baron Nashor + minions + other NPCs as Spirits?

Spirit collectors start sweating.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

LoL Spirit Event

I’ll do you one better:

XCX SPIRIT EVENT. YES, ELMA’S IN THE EVENT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU FREED 50 PEEPS IN WOL. MORE PLAYABLE CHARACTER SPIRITS LIKE IRINA, GWIN, DOUG, L, NAGI, MIA ETC.

end my suffering 😭

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Actually, after my epic funny sukapon post, I checked and found out that Sukapon doesn't have an Ultimate support thread.

what the **** is this travesty
Sukapon more like Sukapon ********* haha
Why it isn't Rex.
I'm genuinely curious, if Sakurai said that the Mii Costume was why it wasn't Rex, how would you feel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom