• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
When you can't even celebrate your own birthday without someone complaining about the mere possibility of your inclusion in Smash despite no one even bringing it up in the first place.
Calm down. This is the DLC Speculation thread. People are allowed to say "I'd rather have" just as much as they're allowed to say "I support".

Besides tons of people have talked about Chun Li in Smash already. And why would someone post a birthday tweet in the DLC Speculation thread, unless it was related to all the speculation that was happening.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Calm down. This is the DLC Speculation thread. People are allowed to say "I'd rather have" just as much as they're allowed to say "I support".

Besides tons of people have talked about Chun Li in Smash already. And why would someone post a birthday tweet in the DLC Speculation thread, unless it was related to all the speculation that was happening.
To be fair, we have a tendency of just posting stuff related to games we like without any real connection to Smash. For example, only a couple days ago I posted the announcement of Touhou 18 and nobody batted an eye. Nothing to do with Smash, not even on a Nintendo system. Maybe we just spent the Touhou parts of our brains on the discussion that entailed the AoCF port, and that's why we didn't the entire day discussing whether or not Reimu was possible like last time.

Shroob

Sup?
I do kinda wish that Sakurai would keep the classic modes hidden tbh.

Not for any real reason other than aside from really special ones, like Sephiroth's, it kinda just feels like a bit of padding for runtime's sake tbh. It's nice to see them in motion sure, but usually a good 6-7 minutes of the runtime is dedicated to it, which is when I usually get a snack/bathroom break.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
To be fair, we have a tendency of just posting stuff related to games we like without any real connection to Smash. For example, only a couple days ago I posted the announcement of Touhou 18 and nobody batted an eye. Nothing to do with Smash, not even on a Nintendo system. Maybe we just spent the Touhou parts of our brains on the discussion that entailed the AoCF port, and that's why we didn't the entire day discussing whether or not Reimu was possible like last time.
Isn't there a social thread for that? I literally only come here to talk about the DLC. Basically, someone got mad at me for making an On Topic post. Oops.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think the Mii Costume was the problem for Rex. I'm guessing skipping Rex was a mix of multiple factors
  • Pyra and Mythra are also main characters in the game, not trying to be revisionist here, anyone who has played the game knows both girls are really important to the story and to Rex himself
  • Both are as popular as Rex, if not more
  • Adding the Driver-Blade gameplay from XC2 was hard to do and brought more problems than they expected
  • Maybe Sakurai found more interesting the transformation/switch mechanic than the Drive-Blade system

In any case I'm not sure if Sakurai will explain why Rex was skipped. He will talk about it but I'm not expecting details. Who knows, maybe adding only Pyra and Mythra was a suggestion from Takahashi.

We're almost to the finish line.

Can you smell the chaos brewing from the mii showcase?
I'm not expecting big characters for the upcoming wave of Mii Costumes. At best (or at worst, depending on the person) I think we'll get KOS-MOS or Elma, but to be honest I don't think speculation would change much if both characters end getting the Mii Costume treatment.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think the Mii Costume was the problem for Rex. I'm guessing skipping Rex was a mix of multiple factors
  • Pyra and Mythra are also main characters in the game, not trying to be revisionist here, anyone who has played the game knows both girls are really important to the story and to Rex himself
  • Adding the Driver-Blade gameplay from XC2 was hard to do and brought more problems than they expected
  • Maybe Sakurai found more interesting the transformation/switch mechanic than the Drive-Blade system

In any case I'm not sure if Sakurai will explain why Rex was skipped. He will talk about it but I'm not expecting details. Who knows, maybe adding only Pyra and Mythra was a suggestion from Takahashi.

I'm not expecting big characters for the upcoming wave of Mii Costumes. At best (or at worst, depending on the person) I think we'll get KOS-MOS or Elma, but to be honest I don't think speculation would change much if both characters end getting the Mii Costume treatment.
On the contrary, Lloyd or Monster Hunter.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I'd say the 3rd part was probably the deciding factor, I always pictured Rex and Pyra/Mythra with Rex being the fighter and the blade in the background with Rex gaining power when closer to them. It's a cool concept that's true to the original game but must have been a devil to balance.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I do kinda wish that Sakurai would keep the classic modes hidden tbh.

Not for any real reason other than aside from really special ones, like Sephiroth's, it kinda just feels like a bit of padding for runtime's sake tbh. It's nice to see them in motion sure, but usually a good 6-7 minutes of the runtime is dedicated to it, which is when I usually get a snack/bathroom break.
Yeah I agree with this. If Sakurai really wanted to show off the character he could just do what he did with hero and just fight some CPUs in a standard smash battle or whatever.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Mythra can fight by herself without passing her weapon to a driver in Torna, so they likely adapted that for Pyra too even though she’s used her own weapon against Malos in the one cutscene

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Isn't there a social thread for that? I literally only come here to talk about the DLC. Basically, someone got mad at me for making an On Topic post. Oops.
In theory, yes, there's a social thread for general stuff. In practice, though, this thread pretty much is our social thread, just mainly used for speculation.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Anyway, predictions for how the presentation will go:

Direct opens as usual
Sakurai talks about how the pandemic is still ongoing but development is continuing as planned
"Who are Pyra and Mythra?" segment
Maybe a joke about Why no Rex
Talk about their moveset
"Now let's see them in action!" aka Classic Mode run through
Their stage
Their music tracks
Mii Fighter showcase
Next wave of Amiibo(?)
Their release date.....today!(maybe)
End

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace

SKX31

Smash Master
In theory, yes, there's a social thread for general stuff. In practice, though, this thread pretty much is our social thread, just mainly used for speculation.
Sorry fellas, but this is the speculation thread. This thread should be for speculation and ONLY speculation. There should be no room for socializing whatsoever! No fun, only pattern-finding.

Now, welcome to my TED Talk where I discuss how the philosophical arguments throughout history in fact had one secret purpose...

Namely, to set up Amingo's creation and subsuquent invitation to Smash. :4pacman:

Direct opens as usual
Sakurai talks about how the pandemic is still ongoing but development is continuing as planned
Talk about their moveset
Their stage
Their music tracks
Mii Fighter showcase
Next wave of Amiibo(?)
End
It'd be way more interesting honestly if he played the new character - in this case Pyra / Mythra - vs. a human opponent such as a playtester (whether offline or online). Him fighting vs CPUs - whether in Classic or in vs matches - feels kinda stilted (at least IMHO).

Last edited:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Sorry fellas, but this is the speculation thread. This thread should be for speculation and ONLY speculation. There should be no room for socializing whatsoever! No fun, only pattern-finding.

did i just hint a joke? sarcasm=fun, no sarcasm allowed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Direct opens as usual
Talk about their moveset
Their stage
Their music tracks
Mii Fighter showcase
Next wave of Amiibo(?)
End
The last presentation had the Miis in the beginning. I can see that happening again since its clear they want to get it out of the way and not make people anxious having to wait for their wants being deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
The last presentation had the amiibos in the beginning. I can see that happening again since its clear they want to get it out of the way and not make people anxious having to wait for their wants being deconfirmed.
That was done because they used Tifa and Barret throughout the presentation, it had nothing to do with people being anxious.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, I know it'd be nice to construct a fantasy setting where they showed the Mii costumes off first to put the Geno fans out of their misery or something to that effect, but they did so because they used Tifa and Barret through the presentation. That's it.

It'd be weird as hell if they didn't do the Mii costume presentation first in this case, since it'd basically be like "Here's Barret! And here's Tifa!....two Miis we already saw for the last 20 or soo odd minutes now....!"

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Villains, huh? Let's see...
1) Dr. Eggman
2) Porky Minch
3) A version of Ganondorf (or Ganon or even Demise) that doesn't use a Falcondorf moveset
4) Kefka Palazzo (from Final Fantasy 6)
5) Dr. Wily
6) Zanza (from Xenoblade Chronicles 1)
7) M. Bison
8)
Rhea (from Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
9) Shadow Queen Peach
10) Goomba
1.Porky Minch
2.Giygas
3."Class" Team Fortress 2
4.GlaDOS
3.Psycho Mantis
4.Dr. Wily
5.Dr. Eggman
6.Albert Wesker

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Like, I know it'd be nice to construct a fantasy setting where they showed the Mii costumes off first to put the Geno fans out of their misery or something to that effect, but they did so because they used Tifa and Barret through the presentation. That's it.

It'd be weird as hell if they didn't do the Mii costume presentation first in this case, since it'd basically be like "Here's Barret! And here's Tifa!....two Miis we already saw for the last 20 or soo odd minutes now....!"
Maybe they could do it if the Rex costume is no longer paywalled through the 1st pass anymore.

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe they could do it if the Rex costume is no longer paywalled through the 1st pass anymore.
I don't think that'd be necessary, since the Rex costume is already in game. Considering they used it in the P/M reveal trailer, it's not something like Tifa/Barret in that regard.

If it's not paywalled, I'd imagine they'd just save it for the Mii costume showcase.

Staarih

Smash Master
Rex Mii costume being sold separately now is an interesting idea, but then again, it still is an incentive to buy the first pass so I dunno if they'll do that. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if Rex's costume is mentioned only to have a nod towards "go get the first pass for it" lol.

Shroob

Sup?
Rex Mii costume being sold separately now is an interesting idea, but then again, it still is an incentive to buy the first pass so I dunno if they'll do that. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if Rex's costume is mentioned only to have a nod towards "go get the first pass for it" lol.
"You wanna play Banjo Kazooie?"
"Yes"
"Go buy an Xbox lul"

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Well it could help people who are locked out of buying the first pass cause they bought one of the FP1 peeps individually

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I thought the fact it was cheaper to buy the pass rather than each character separately was the main draw, or at least it was for me.

Shroob

Sup?
I thought the fact it was cheaper to buy the pass rather than each character separately was the main draw, or at least it was for me.
Depends on sales tax I'd imagine. For me, it'd be 100% cheaper to buy the pass, which I did, but I know people who buy it individually because they just don't want everyone.

Shroob

Sup?
Sure it would help.
But the costume is one more reason to buy the full pass and it wouldn't surprise me if they just kept it that way haha.
It's a very "Nintendo" thing to do.

Other companies be like, "Oh, you bought part of the DLC? Okay we'll reduce the cost based on that."

Nintendo be like, "Oh, you bought part of the DLC?.... too bad."

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
When do we think the release date will be for Pyra and Mythra?

I'm guessing March 11th. I don't know if there will something like the Sephiroth challenge to get them early (since it would make that less special if they did it for every character), but I figure that there usually isn't a huge wait between a character's presentation and their release. A week after the presentation seems reasonable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom