• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I mean, real talk here for a moment.

If you think we're getting an Assist Promotion THIS late into the pass, when we have 2 spots left, and our next character almost assuredly being the E3 drop?

I'm not gonna say it's impossible for CP11, because hey, sky's the limit, but with 2 characters left, 1 of which will be the E3 bomb, something that no current Assist fills, and CP11 probably being a 3rd party, or Switch game character if I were to bet money on it...?

Yeah.
Waluigi could fit as an E3 bomb drop though?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As much as I'd love Shovel Knight music in Smash, the only way forward I see for it is Mii Costume.

I really, really don't expect Assist Upgrades, and so far I think I have luck on my side for this one tbh.
I can understand hesitancy on ATs, but my post was mainly responding to the point that there aren't any ATs that would be big enough for an E3 reveal. I felt that Shovel Knight would be big enough for that reveal, assuming AT promotions were on the table. So I'm kinda curious on your stance regarding SK; Big enough for E3, or does he still have some growing to do?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
unfinished characters

Rhythm Heaven (datamined and leaked) 4
Alucard (sakurai said so) ult
Monster Hunter (inferred, and maybe datamined, replaced?) ult
Chun li (leaked?) ult
Yuri and Lyod (leaked?) ult
Decidueye (sakurai said so, replaced) ult
Ninjara (sakurai said so, replaced) ult
Takumara (sakurai said so) 4
Slime (Sakurai said so, replaced) ult
FF characters (Sakurai said so, replaced) ult, 4
Heihachi (troubled implementation) 4
Geno (sakurai said so) 4
Alph (was scrapped in favour of being a costume) 4

unfinished but came back at a later date

Chrom (get reconsidered and added into a later game) ult
Min-Min (game came out too early) fp2
Steve (long negotiations) fp2
Sephiroth (long negotiations) fp2
Pyra and Mythra (game came out too early) fp2

i think this is everything we know of

there are more if we go back but anything beyond this dev cycle isn't useful as they were considered during a different dev cycle.
Wanna add one more: Ayumi Tachibana (Sakurai said so and later scrapped)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The irony of using a cow meme for a roast beef sandwich place. 😅
Text bottom
Wanna add one more: Ayumi Tachibana (Sakurai said so and later scrapped)
Unless we've somehow overlooked a statement on Ayumi being planned and scrapped a third time, I don't think she applies to the 4/Ultimate timeframe the original poster was going for.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
What kind of 3rd party, though? Can't be something big, because they go for more low-key characters at the end since they already got your money.

Is Arby's now going to be the dumping ground for indie game kid's meal toys?
Depends on how it's handled tbh.

Double reveal at E3?
Revealed via September Direct?

Hell, for as much as I talk about Monster Hunter, I have no love for the series itself, meaning to me, I'd consider it "low key"(Granted, I know how huge the series is), but Monster Hunter would also serve a dual purpose as advertisement.
I can understand hesitancy on ATs, but my post was mainly responding to the point that there aren't any ATs that would be big enough for an E3 reveal. I felt that Shovel Knight would be big enough for that reveal, assuming AT promotions were on the table. So I'm kinda curious on your stance regarding SK; Big enough for E3, or does he still have some growing to do?
Nah, Shovel Knight is obviously huge enough, hell, he got in as an assist, and is the only indie to do so.

I just don't see any Assist Upgrades happening is all.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think Shovel Knight stands pretty good for next Smash. He's built his own legacy and Nintendo and Yacht Club are super chummy with each other: It'll probably end up being a matter of when than if.

...However, I'm with Shroob, not this game: AT's, IMO, probably aren't getting upgraded. Which sucks, because Waluigi is one of the few left that would make me lose it with hype, but it is what it is. :drshrug:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
unfinished characters

Rhythm Heaven (datamined and leaked) 4
Alucard (sakurai said so) ult
Monster Hunter (inferred, and maybe datamined, replaced?) ult
Chun li (leaked?) ult
Yuri and Lyod (leaked?) ult
Decidueye (sakurai said so, replaced) ult
Ninjara (sakurai said so, replaced) ult
Takumara (sakurai said so) 4
Slime (Sakurai said so, replaced) ult
FF characters (Sakurai said so, replaced) ult, 4
Heihachi (troubled implementation) 4
Geno (sakurai said so) 4
Alph (was scrapped in favour of being a costume) 4

unfinished but came back at a later date

Chrom (get reconsidered and added into a later game) ult
Min-Min (game came out too early) fp2
Steve (long negotiations) fp2
Sephiroth (long negotiations) fp2
Pyra and Mythra (game came out too early) fp2

i think this is everything we know of

there are more if we go back but anything beyond this dev cycle isn't useful as they were considered during a different dev cycle.
I don't think most of these are "unfinished". Decidueye and Alucard where simply considered before being scrapped for Incineroar and the Belmont respectively, so I don't think any work have been done on them (aside from maybe concept of moveset). Same with Slime (was considered if Hero didn't work, so probably no work on it), Ninjara (was Sakurai pick, but change for Min min because of director).

I think the list would be more clear like this (I also add (unofficial) after the characters which we don't have any strong evidences aside from leaker):

Unfinished (probably had some works done and cut in the middle of development):
Rhythm heaven characters (Smash 4)
Alph (Smash 4)
Heihachi? (Considering that Sakurai said it was "hard to implement him" maybe some works was been done)

Considered momentarily (probably had no work done aside maybe from concept art/moveset idea)
Decidueye (Ult)
Ninjara (Ult)
Slime (Ult)
Takamaru (Smash 4)
Other FF characters such as Terra and Onion knight (Smash 4)

Unknown or unclear (Those could have some works done, but we don't really know or it's hard to tell)
Geno (Smash 4)
Chun-li (Ult) (unofficial)
Monster hunter (Ult) (unofficial)
Yuri and Lloyd (Ult) (unofficial

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
If we're talking about assist characters that could be E3-tier...

I could definitely see Waluigi fit the bill.

Maybe Megaman Zero? He might not have as much smash demand as other characters but he's still undoubtedly a pretty popular gaming character.

If Banjo could be an E3 character, I don't think Isaac would exactly be that crazy (granted like Banjo I have a hard time seeing him as an "only E3 Smash announcement" and think he'd probably be announced alongside someone else)

I'd bring up Alucard, but I don't see castlevania getting any more content considering how wonderfully Castlevania's content was handled base game.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we're talking about assist characters that could be E3-tier...

I could definitely see Waluigi fit the bill.

Maybe Megaman Zero? He might not have as much smash demand as other characters but he's still undoubtedly a pretty popular gaming character.

If Banjo could be an E3 character, I don't think Isaac would exactly be that crazy (granted like Banjo I have a hard time seeing him as an "only E3 Smash announcement" and think he'd probably be announced alongside someone else)

I'd bring up Alucard, but I don't see castlevania getting any more content considering how wonderfully Castlevania's content was handled base game.
Alucard's stage is just Dracula's Castle but flipped upside down.

Fake tin foil hat time: Sakurai would have to break the tradition of Zero being broken in every fighting game if he was included in Smash, so instead of us getting a second Mega Man character in Ultimate, Zero became an assist trophy. :4pacman:

On a more serious note, I could see Zero having a lot in common with Wolf if he did make it in.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In terms of Assist Promotions, I’d say Issac, Waluigi, and Shovel Knight are the front runners. With Shovel Knight and the Wah being good E3 candidates. Thats of course if Assists are on the table, which I’m not very confident in.
I want to agree on Isaac, but after last direct, my optimism's tanked. A: Turns out the shiny new GS trademark that was passed around was only one of many and much less notable as a result, and B: We got Mario Golf, which we didn't think was happening because it shouldn't take too long to work on a Mario Golf game. Camelot at least seems to like harkening back to their RPG days, but it seems to me that a potential new Golden Sun game won't be able to come soon enough for Isaac in Smash. Maybe he could get added as a Banjo-esque situation, but that possibility's not enough for me to place him under frontrunner status.

On a side note, I'm not really expecting Waluigi, either. It seem to me that Smash has the entire series brand in mind rather than just the fighter, and there just isn't much Waluigi could bring with him that isn't more than tangentially related to him.

Basically, if we get an AT, my money's on Shovel Knight. Granted, Smash is unpredictable as all %$#@ and it's entirely possibly I'm betting wrong.

Pillow

Smash Lord
In terms of Assist Promotions, I’d say Issac, Waluigi, and Shovel Knight are the front runners. With Shovel Knight and the Wah being good E3 candidates. Thats of course if Assists are on the table, which I’m not very confident in.
All signs point to assists staying how they are, if Springman and Rex are anything to go off of. Yes there are other reasons that Sakurai may have looked them over, but you’re kidding yourself if you think the existence of the mii costumes was not a factor they considered.

At this point, we're just using "E3 drop" to mean the "June" reveal.

It's sort of like how people use "Leak" to describe "Rumor". Is it correct? No, but we do it anyway.
Idk if this is exactly accurate. I still see people claiming that certain characters have to be “E3” worthy to fit the May/June reveal, which is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
All signs point to assists staying how they are, if Springman and Mythra are anything to go off of. Yes there are other reasons that Sakurai may have chosen them over, but you’re kidding yourself if you think the existence of the mii costumes was not a factor they considered.

Idk if this is exactly accurate. I still see people claiming that certain characters have to be “E3” worthy to fit the May/June reveal, which is ridiculous.
Nah, it's basically just that. We're almost guaranteed a June reveal due to both the timing between now and June and Nintendo having a pretty consistent June presentation.

Even still, even if E3 is ****canned this year, the 2nd pass was decided on Pre-Covid days almost assuredly, meaning that they lined things up a specific way, probably with E3 still in mind.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Nah, it's basically just that. We're almost guaranteed a June reveal due to both the timing between now and June and Nintendo having a pretty consistent June presentation.

Even still, even if E3 is ****canned this year, the 2nd pass was decided on Pre-Covid days almost assuredly, meaning that they lined things up a specific way, probably with E3 still in mind.
Makes me wonder if they're gonna only do one reveal or just finish Ultimate out in June with another big General. I could see either scenario being likely, personally.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
All signs point to assists staying how they are, if Springman and Rex are anything to go off of. Yes there are other reasons that Sakurai may have looked them over, but you’re kidding yourself if you think the existence of the mii costumes was not a factor they considered.
Sakurai is just more of a moveset-focused guy than some 20 year old posting about how epic it would be if Crash was in the same game as Mario and Sonic and Steve. And guess what? Min Min's kicks give him more moveset options than Spring Man's abilities which are basically already universal among Smash fighters.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Had to google this Arby's thing and I am deceased at the fact they renamed Plague Knight to "Doctor Knight".
Is this the part where I joke about censorship?
hears the Fall Guy creators got bought
Uh....by who?....
Epic Games
Oh boy....
As if Fall Guys not getting into Smash wasn't obvious enough, they gotta compete with FORTNITE now. Great...

Every time I hear about Epic Games I can't stop thinking about the Kingdom Hearts deal and the possibility of Xehanortnite
I'm not sure if the goal of Xehanortnite is to become the one true xehanort or to be the only one who doesn't become a xehanort.

Now that I'm thinking about it, is there a hack-and-slash or beatemup battle royale game? all the ones I know of are shooters, puzzle games, or basically Mario.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Sakurai is just more of a moveset-focused guy than some 20 year old posting about how epic it would be if Crash was in the same game as Mario and Sonic and Steve. And guess what? Min Min's kicks give him more moveset options than Spring Man's abilities which are basically already universal among fighters.
You're just making stuff up. I'm not that familiar with ARMs, but the core of Min Min's design (the left/right ARMs) could have easily been accomplished by Springman. Yes she has kicks, but that's only a few of her moves not her main gimmick. Making a fun moveset is a must, but pretty much any character can have a fun moveset. You're kidding yourself if you think that Sakurai couldn't make one for someone like Crash.

I'm not disagreeing that we're guaranteed a reveal around this time period. I'm saying that "June reveal" and "E3 reveal" are not interchangeable terms, because some people think there's some unclear hype pre-requisite for an E3 reveal while no one thinks that for a summer reveal. I agree that they should be considered the same thing though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not that familiar with ARMs, but the core of Min Min's design (the left/right ARMs) could have easily been accomplished by Springman.
That's not the point. He didn't want to sell someone more plain, and that's what Spring Man was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai is just more of a moveset-focused guy than some 20 year old posting about how epic it would be if Crash was in the same game as Mario and Sonic and Steve. And guess what? Min Min's kicks give him more moveset options than Spring Man's abilities which are basically already universal among fighters.
A big misconception imo seems to be that people think moveset capabilities play a very large role in Sakurai choosing a character rather than Sakurai just being capable of deriving interesting playstyles out of whoever gets chosen because it's been what he does for over twenty years, he's good at it, and he likely has a team that helps him.

If all else being equal, like between Incineroar and Decidueye, then maybe Sakurai would default on who he'd rather implement from a playstyle perspective. But other factors are far more key in the inclusion of characters, like popularity and prominence, and then Sakurai clearly can mold something interesting from the canvas of the character.

If anything, it's the 20-year-olds who typically impose their own lack of creativity onto Sakurai when expressing dissent over a specific option who "lacks potential", as if Sakurai's ability to cull originality didn't exceed their own.

7NATOR

Smash Master
As Someone that does think Assists can be Promoted, here's my Angle

I like to look at the nuance of each assists, because Assists get in for different reasons, and have different Factors from Each other (also Mii Costumes)

In regards to something like Spring Man, considering that Sakurai did say he was Considering Min Min or Ninjara at first, It's very possible the reason Spring Man was added as an Assist was because it was already decided it be between these 2. While ARMs couldn't be considered for Base roster, it's possible they already were considering how they'd be implemented if they did get in, considering that DLC was decided to be a thing in January of 2018.

And I think in regards to New Assists, They could lean more in the direction that they might stay as Assists. Situations do differ between Assists, like for example, if Shovel Knight was negotiated as an Assist early on, but then it's decided they were gonna do DLC later on, I don't think they would throw out the Assist, especially if development is already be started on it.

But Since these New Assist characters were introduced into Ultimate, It wouldn't have been weird if they were not Assists, so making them an Assist could suggest that they were not much on the Radar, and if not much changes in their merit, then it would stay that way. Isaac also falls into this despite being a Brawl Assist, because he wasn't one in Smash 4

Now regarding Old Assist Trophies like Waluigi, Shadow, Lyn, Skull Kid, etc, They have been Assists for awhile and are veteran assists, especially the former 3 as they have been Assists for over a Decade now.

We see that unlike the Playable characters, not every Assist returns, and typically it's because those non-returning assists aren't as popular as the one that do return. Saki, Magnus, and Tingle are examples of characters that didn't return into Ultimate from Smash 4

I Don't think Waluigi, Shadow, and Lyn are on the level of Saki, Magnus, and Tingle. They are above those 3, and it would be weird if their Assists didn't come back because it would be a downgrade in Role. Magnus and Tingle are only Spirits, so by the logic that they aren't Assists like Waluigi and Shadow, they should have a better chance then them in getting into a Playable role in DLC, but that doesn't make any sense if you look at the fact they weren't even popular enough to have their Assists Return.

So if DLC was decided late into the game, Specifically sometime after January 11th of 2018, when the Base game content was set in stone, They made Smash Ultimate without the intention of DLC. If DLC wasn't a thing and Waluigi, Shadow, Lyn, Skull Kid, Ashley, and others got their Assists cut, they would just not have Assists and would have downgraded role

and especially in a case with Shadow where they have to negotiated for the Content with another Company, in this case being Sega, If they negotiated for Shadow as an assist, they aren't just gonna throw that away. that would be a waste.

So regarding Assists and DLC, I think each Assists have different factors that have different amount of Changes to their situation with the Addition of DLC. I'm not sure if Bomberman was negotiated as a Costume at the same time he was negotiated as an Assist. If he wasn't it does show how NPC Roles can be reconsidered.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
That's not the point. He didn't want to sell someone more plain, and that's what Spring Man was.
Believe whatever you like, but Sakurai has never stated this. Don't pass off baseless claims as fact.

As Someone that does think Assists can be Promoted, here's my Angle

I like to look at the nuance of each assists, because Assists get in for different reasons, and have different Factors from Each other (also Mii Costumes)

In regards to something like Spring Man, considering that Sakurai did say he was Considering Min Min or Ninjara at first, It's very possible the reason Spring Man was added as an Assist was because it was already decided it be between these 2. While ARMs couldn't be considered for Base roster, it's possible they already were considering how they'd be implemented if they did get in, considering that DLC was decided to be a thing in January of 2018.

And I think in regards to New Assists, They could lean more in the direction that they might stay as Assists. Situations do differ between Assists, like for example, if Shovel Knight was negotiated as an Assist early on, but then it's decided they were gonna do DLC later on, I don't think they would throw out the Assist, especially if development is already be started on it.

But Since these New Assist characters were introduced into Ultimate, It wouldn't have been weird if they were not Assists, so making them an Assist could suggest that they were not much on the Radar, and if not much changes in their merit, then it would stay that way. Isaac also falls into this despite being a Brawl Assist, because he wasn't one in Smash 4

Now regarding Old Assist Trophies like Waluigi, Shadow, Lyn, Skull Kid, etc, They have been Assists for awhile and are veteran assists, especially the former 3 as they have been Assists for over a Decade now.

We see that unlike the Playable characters, not every Assist returns, and typically it's because those non-returning assists aren't as popular as the one that do return. Saki, Magnus, and Tingle are examples of characters that didn't return into Ultimate from Smash 4

I Don't think Waluigi, Shadow, and Lyn are on the level of Saki, Magnus, and Tingle. They are above those 3, and it would be weird if their Assists didn't come back because it would be a downgrade in Role. Magnus and Tingle are only Spirits, so by the logic that they aren't Assists like Waluigi and Shadow, they should have a better chance then them in getting into a Playable role in DLC, but that doesn't make any sense if you look at the fact they weren't even popular enough to have their Assists Return.

So if DLC was decided late into the game, Specifically sometime after January 11th of 2018, when the Base game content was set in stone, They made Smash Ultimate without the intention of DLC. If DLC wasn't a thing and Waluigi, Shadow, Lyn, Skull Kid, Ashley, and others got their Assists cut, they would just not have Assists and would have downgraded role

and especially in a case with Shadow where they have to negotiated for the Content with another Company, in this case being Sega, If they negotiated for Shadow as an assist, they aren't just gonna throw that away. that would be a waste.

So regarding Assists and DLC, I think each Assists have different factors that have different amount of Changes to their situation with the Addition of DLC. I'm not sure if Bomberman was negotiated as a Costume at the same time he was negotiated as an Assist. If he wasn't it does show how NPC Roles can be reconsidered.
If Sakurai really wanted to, I'm sure he could make the decision to promote an assist. I just don't really see him wanting to do that, and I'm sure Nintendo is more likely to believe that new content will sell better. So yeah, in my mind AT upgrades are not so much an "impossibility" so much as a "why though?" And I think it's strange you single out Shadow, Lyn, and Waluigi as I don't think these characters are particularly above any of the other assists. If anything, I think Zero has the best chance of the whole lot of being promoted, simply because he's both the clear 2nd character from Megaman, and he has his MMZ look to fall back to that is easily distinguishable from the existing AT.

A big misconception imo seems to be that people think moveset capabilities play a very large role in Sakurai choosing a character rather than Sakurai just being capable of deriving interesting playstyles out of whoever gets chosen because it's been what he does for over twenty years, he's good at it, and he likely has a team that helps him.

If all else being equal, like between Incineroar and Decidueye, then maybe Sakurai would default on who he'd rather implement from a playstyle perspective. But other factors are far more key in the inclusion of characters, like popularity and prominence, and then Sakurai clearly can mold something interesting from the canvas of the character.

If anything, it's the 20-year-olds who typically impose their own lack of creativity onto Sakurai when expressing dissent over a specific option who "lacks potential", as if Sakurai's ability to cull originality didn't exceed their own.
We do know he has said no to characters in the past because of moveset potential, though. Specifically it happened with Chrom.

It's not common, and everything you said about his abilities is true, but we know for a fact that he does think about moveset potential when choosing characters. It doesn't help us narrow much down, and it matters even less now that Nintendo has a heavier hand in the selection process. It's just a bit disingenuous to say it doesn't matter at all.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In that case, all four of these challenger packs in FP2 should've been from absolutely unrepresented series instead of just Steve.
Granted, it's not like any of the other three games had much representation either. ARMS had an AT, some Spirits, some Miis, and that's it. XC2 had a couple songs, some Spirits, and some Miis, and that's it. Final Fantasy had a fighter, yes, but it also had barely any songs or Spirits, and didn't have any Mii Costumes or Assist Trophies, either. Steve's only slightly newer than the rest of FP2.

Pillow

Smash Lord
We do know he has said no to characters in the past because of moveset potential, though. Specifically it happened with Chrom.

It's not common, and everything you said about his abilities is true, but we know for a fact that he does think about moveset potential when choosing characters. It doesn't help us narrow much down, and it matters even less now that Nintendo has a heavier hand in the selection process. It's just a bit disingenuous to say it doesn't matter at all.
I think the most notable thing about Chrom was that his moveset lacked potential only because of its redundancy with the existing Fire Emblem cast. That wouldn't apply to any of the ARMs characters, as any of them would have been the first character with the long arms gimmick.

In that case, all four of these challenger packs in FP2 should've been from absolutely unrepresented series instead of just Steve.
No. My implication was that assist trophies already exist in Ultimate in the form of having actual models with actual moves and animations. Promoting them is clearly retreading base content more than a second character from an already represented franchise is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom