• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm pretty sure Brandy Kopp did her lines as Palutena in BC. Plus, getting actors based in New York and Los Angeles when localization was done in Seattle was likely wasn't a cheap move, especially when they could just pull a Brawl and get local Seattle actors to do the lines instead.

Also, none of us have any idea of the negotiations between Nintendo and the FF actors' unions, so it seems a little disingenuous to automatically assume Nintendo was requesting slave wages. The fact that this wasn't an issue for almost every other member of the cast, I highly doubt Nintendo's initial offers were anything too outrageous relative to the amount of labour put in.
I don't know what you meant with BC, but Palu's recast happened in Smash which is historically a nonunion project, Hayter had to be a special guest whereas Viridi and Pit's VAs went completely uncreditted, Viridi's VA getting recast due to schedule conflicts from what I hear. As for your Seattle point, my issue was saying NoA got actors worldwide when only a single one wasn't from the US.

Thing is that Nintendo being anti-union isn't an isolated case, we got multiple recasts over the years due to this and it's a known issue across the entire industry, not to mention it's been quite a while since we got union actors

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
My thoughts of Pyra/Mythera

I got Xenoblade Chronicles on the wii, I absolutely loved it. So I was stoked for a “sequel” or what not. When 2 was released I ended up buying it. After several hours of playing I ended up quitting because I hated the story and the characters. Just wasn’t for me I suppose!

however, I do believe Xenoblade 2 deserved a spot in smash as it was apart of the switched launch several months later! While I had no real attachment I still wished for their inclusion (I didn’t really care who the characters were just as long as they were included)

I love the play style, I am a sucker for mechanics in characters so I’m willing to give them a shot over “notmahcharacter”

so while they are not my most wanted, I’m glad they made it in. Helps me with my OCD of wanting switch specific characters in LOL. I do, however, believe they should of been included in the base game rather than dlc like min-min.

welcome to smash!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
inb4 during Pyra & Mythra presentation Sakurai announces we'll get a Smash Concert in the future and this "leak" gains attraction

It has not.

My only guess is that they want to show off a special alt.

Could be one based on a certain spoiler.

Could be a costume ala Shulk.
I'm 99% sure Pyra and Mythra won't have their swimsuit alts. Like, I can't imagine it happening at all.

And if they have swimsuit alts, I'd say they would redesign the swimsuits.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
don’t even remind me about COVID please, all this “stay at home” stuff is killing me, I just miss hanging out with my friends more lol
Don't worry, so long as your local government does not muck up covid vaccine distribution things should be a little more normal soon.

I mean, so long as you dont like in Florida, Texas, or South Dakota things vaccine wise are not too bad.

Heoj

Smash Ace
I don't know why, but I feel REALLY confident in a capcom rep being cp10, just a gut feeling

edit:that orchestra thing sounds neat(though i think its a bit pointless since you would have to get through so many legal hurdles), but the combination of crash and monster hunter being 10 and 11 sounds wrong to me, like i think one of them could make it in, but definitely not both.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
If you want to set the mood for the orchestral leak, Melee had its own concert. https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/smashing...-live-live-orchestra-music
smh no Final Destination, another disservice to the competitive scene :4pacman:

And now you know how dinosaurs became extinct! They just executed each other while speculating over... whatever their equivalent to Smash was. :4pacman:

You know, I've never played Civ, but I listened to the track and I have to say... I approve. :roll:
Well, I assume they were speculating over this:

:4pacman:

And yeah, that theme plays in game even if you're as Brazil nuking everyone else to dust. The same goes with other Civs with cheery themes like Scotland.

I don’t know if I agree about this, nowadays people started to lose interest in those things here, it’s still a trend but not that big anymore
Huh, you're also Brazilian? All right.

Honestly, yeah, I can see that. Off topic, but: I'm going to speculate as a total outside, but it might be because there's no WC win in recent memory (the most recent being 2002), the memory of 1-7 is still painfully fresh and there's no super-obvious talent other than Neymar to keep the hype train going. Hell, even in previous periods where Brazil didn't win WCs they could still field really strong teams with popular players.

Of course, if you guys one day get that 6th World Cup win the train will probably be back in full force.

I am willing to be that it will be like Pokemon Trainer, you can almost certainly choose which one at the beginning.

In other news, I think we odds are will get Amiibos for both of them since unlike Byleth, they are separate fighters.
Yeah, it's worth noting that one could start as either Zelda or Sheik back in Melee (using a controller trick, which is how all pros playing as Sheik start matches with her instantly) and in the select screen in Brawl.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
inb4 during Pyra & Mythra presentation Sakurai announces we'll get a Smash Concert in the future and this "leak" gains attraction

I'm 99% sure Pyra and Mythra won't have their swimsuit alts. Like, I can't imagine it happening at all.

And if they have swimsuit alts, I'd say they would redesign the swimsuits.
Zero Suit Samus in booty shorts: "Check out this Amazonian body."

Mythra: "*****, please. I'm so hot they had to cover 80% of my body just to get me in the game."

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
If the leak mention specifically something like "Pyra and Mythra with no Rex" I would have give it more credit, but with only the music as a information I think the leaker take a lucky guess and thought that Rex would come next. But who knows, I think both Crash and Monster hunter are very possible so we'll see.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Oh I completely ****ing misread that then, sorry for that. As for the community, it's not different from any other Smash game lol
The community isn't different from any other smash game HOWEVER, the feedback that Nintendo got from the community for base game ssbu helped shape up fp2 which addresses a lot of content complaints that people have had. Usually this stuff gets addressed by the next entry in the series. In smash 4, most dlc fighters were chosen before anyone could really say anything because it was one pass with the exception of bayonetta(smash ballot was rigged or for ssbu but everyone knows that).

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Given that NoA went out of their way to get voice actors from around the world, including major names like Keith Silverstein, Matt Mercer, and Johnny Yong Bosch, to ensure as many characters as possible had their canonical voices in Smash for Wii U/3DS and Ultimate, it makes me wonder how much of Cloud and Sephiroth not having English voice actors is truly owed to Nintendo being cheap rather than unions refusing to meet them half-way.
It should be noted that in cases such as JYB, he wasn't brought in but rather just had his voice clips recycled from other games.

Also, the issue with voice acting doesn't stop with the FF characters. Sonic is rather infamous for just reusing Roger Craig Smith's voice clips from the games along with some Jason Griffin clips used to fill the gaps (ex. the snoring clip).

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It should be noted that in cases such as JYB, he wasn't brought in but rather just had his voice clips recycled from other games.

Also, the issue with voice acting doesn't stop with the FF characters. Sonic is rather infamous for just reusing Roger Craig Smith's voice clips from the games along with some Jason Griffin clips used to fill the gaps (ex. the snoring clip).
I believe his voice clips in Super Smash Bros. Brawl were also a bunch of reused ones.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Changing the topic a little, people from Brazil specifically did enjoy Terry’s inclusion, just not that much like Banjo or Steve how everyone from outside thinks, this is something that always bugs me xD
Banjo & Kazooie are seen like a missing Nintendo character and Steve's a pretty huge character(one of the big gaming icons). Terry never had a chance, as he's more niche(though still a decently big character in his own right).

...It's not that surprising.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Huh, you're also Brazilian? All right.

Honestly, yeah, I can see that. Off topic, but: I'm going to speculate as a total outside, but it might be because there's no WC win in recent memory (the most recent being 2002), the memory of 1-7 is still painfully fresh and there's no super-obvious talent other than Neymar to keep the hype train going. Hell, even in previous periods where Brazil didn't win WCs they could still field really strong teams with popular players.

Of course, if you guys one day get that 6th World Cup win the train will probably be back in full force.
Yeah, there's that too. In the past I'd argue there were more good players to cheer for, especially in WC. But it just hasn't been the same since 2002. Legit: even the Campeonato Brasileiro has become a bore to watch imo.

And now for a 180 in conversation, a long one too:

I think Pyra/Mythra won't be our last first parties.

Here's why: historically, Smash has almost never ended a cycle with a guest. In Brawl, if I'm not mistaken, the last character revealed before launch was R.O.B. and the last character overall was Wolf - Snake was in the very first batch and Sonic was around the halfway point.

In Smash 4 base game, the last reveal before the 3DS version launched was (I think) Bowser Jr. and the last reveal overall was Duck Hunt.

Then came 4 DLC and you might be thinking this is where the pattern breaks with Bayonetta, but... not really. Remember that datamine that revealed Bayo's data two weeks after the ballot was set up? As in, before Corrin had any data in the game? This implies Corrin was the de facto last newcomer for Smash 4, but for whatever reason they were switched around. So we technically ended on Corrin - a first party.

In Ultimate base game, the last reveal before the game launched was Plant (with the theory that it was supposed to be base game and whatnot), and even before that, Incineroar.

In Volume 1, we ended on Byleth after 4 third parties back-to-back.

So here's the theory: if Min Min was our starter; and Pyra and Mythra are the "halfway point" of Volume 2, then that could mean that another first party will be our final reveal instead.

And if I was a betting man, I'd place my bets on Octoling.

My reasoning is: they'd be revealed right before 2022, when Splatoon 3 is supposed to come out, but unlike Byleth, who required Sakurai to play FETH early, he could also draw a part of their moveset from Splatoon 2. So they're feasible enough to be:
  • a character from a series Nintendo wants to push;
  • a caracter from an installment in said series that technically doesn't have a playable character in Smash;
  • and to top it all off, a push for a game that's launching possibly just a few months after the fact.
...So yeah, that's the theory.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Y'know, Pyra and Mythra had some uncanny similarities with Min Min. Female fighter chosen over the main character, first-party, 2017 Switch release that missed out on the base game, and a weapon change mechanic. D'you think we might have some parallels with Steve and Sephiroth later down the line, or am I just looking for patterns where there aren't any?
NGL, this pattern would benefit me a lot but it probably won’t happen.

Master Chief - Gaming icon from Microsoft that is still being actively used. Could break Twitter just like Steve

PlayStation character - Something insanely huge that will break the Internet

Crono - Iconic Square JRPG character like Sephiroth. Was also on the 7 Squares list but hasn’t been accounted for yet

Dr Eggman - One of the 4 most iconic video game villains alongside Bowser, Ganondorf & Sephiroth. Could fill in some missing gaps in Sonic’s representation like uhhh...MFing uhhhh... more classic music.

Wait, if every song represents a fighter... where is Ken's theme? Should be between Isabelle and Incineroar, no? The other Echoes have themes too, and Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus' are separate from their originals.
Damn, I didn’t notice this. RIP to the leak. Double RIP to me since Ken’s theme is one of my favorite game songs & I didn’t notice it missing.

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Banjo & Kazooie are seen like a missing Nintendo character and Steve's a pretty huge character(one of the big gaming icons). Terry never had a chance, as he's more niche(though still a decently big character in his own right).

...It's not that surprising.
Exactly, which is why it bugs me, I’ve seen people mentioning that Terry happened because of South America and blablabla, but that’s not it lol

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Puyo has outsold both of these series (and every other SEGA series that isn't Sonic) and is a massively recognizable and popular brand across Japan. Definitely deserves to be acknowledged as a "major series" if nothing else.
i know i wrote that in later.

TraaP

Smash Cadet
Jan - Byleth
Feb - Piranha Plant
March - Pyra & Mythra
April - Joker
May -
June - Min Min
July - Hero
Aug -
Sep - Banjo
Oct - Steve
Nov - Terry
Dec - Sephiroth

I really doubt that Nintendo are purposefully releasing these characters in different months - as Hero released on like July 29th or later - but it's kind of strange how it has aligned like this so far. I'm 100% expecting this to be broken by the next character's release.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I guess in a perfect world:
  • Donkey Kong and Bowser would have voice clips.
  • Dr. Mario would have some new voice clips for his victory screens.
  • Diddy Kong would have voice clips.
  • Olimar and Alph would have voice clips.
  • Sonic would have specially recorded voice clips.
  • Mega Man would have voice clips.
  • Isabelle would speak in Animalese.
  • Cloud and Sephiroth wouldn't be the only two characters who have previously had their speech localized, but don't in Super Smash Bros.

I have to wonder if Isabelle is mute to match the Villager or if it's because Animalese is region specific, so we'd have a completely unintelligible character who has 10ish different voice sets anyway. Granted, some of the Pokémon are like this, but they at least say their name, which changes between regions and can't really be mute because the rest of them "speak".

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Exactly, which is why it bugs me, I’ve seen people mentioning that Terry happened because of South America and blablabla, but that’s not it lol
Yeah. The character is notable on its own, and coincidentally is also someone Sakurai likes.

Probably not a ballot character, though? Maybe?

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I guess in a perfect world:
  • Donkey Kong and Bowser would have voice clips.
  • Dr. Mario would have some new voice clips for his victory screens.
  • Sonic would have specially recorded voice clips.
  • Mega Man would have voice clips.
  • Isabelle would speak in Animalese.

I have to wonder if Isabelle is mute to match the Villager or if it's because Animalese is region specific, so we'd have an unintelligible character who has 10ish different voice sets anyway. Granted, some of the Pokémon are like this, but they at least say their name, which changes between regions and can't really be mute because the rest of them "speak".
Olimar and Alph have voices too!

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Jan - Byleth
Feb - Piranha Plant
March - Pyra & Mythra
April - Joker
May -
June - Min Min
July - Hero
Aug -
Sep - Banjo
Oct - Steve
Nov - Terry
Dec - Sephiroth

I really doubt that Nintendo are purposefully releasing these characters in different months - as Hero released on like July 29th or later - but it's kind of strange how it has aligned like this so far. I'm 100% expecting this to be broken by the next character's release.
Yeah, I think the pattern could be broken soon too, although if E3 is not happening maybe Nintendo will release the next character in May. I guess Piranha counts as February because the January release was a limited time thing and the official release was Feb 1. Kinda weird out it works out so far. Like you said, it could broken with the next one. If we do get the next character in May, I could see us getting the final one in August though.

If the next character is released in May and if there is still going to be an E3 presence with Nintendo attending, maybe they'll just reveal the final character 2 months in advance and possibly any other new content (third fighters pass if it happens, probably as an echo pass).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Yeah, there's that too. In the past I'd argue there were more good players to cheer for, especially in WC. But it just hasn't been the same since 2002. Legit: even the Campeonato Brasileiro has bcome a bore to watch imo.

Here's why: historically, Smash has almost never ended a cycle with a guest. In Brawl, if I'm not mistaken, the last character revealed before launch was R.O.B. and the last character overall was Wolf - Snake was in the very first batch and Sonic was around the halfway point.

In Smash 4 base game, the last reveal before the 3DS version launched was (I think) Bowser Jr. and the last reveal overall was Duck Hunt.

Then came 4 DLC and you might be thinking this is where the pattern breaks with Bayonetta, but... not really. Remember that datamine that revealed Bayo's data two weeks after the ballot was set up? As in, before Corrin had any data in the game? This implies Corrin was, in fact, the de facto last newcomer for Smash 4, but for whatever reason they were switched around. So we technically ended on Corrin - a first party.

In Ultimate base game, the last reveal before the game launched was Plant (with the theory that it was supposed to be base game and whatnot), and even before that, Incineroar.

So here's the theory: if Min Min was our starter; and Pyra and Mythra are the "halfway point" of Volume 2, then that could mean that another first party will be our final reveal instead.

My reasoning is: they'd be revealed right before 2022, when Splatoon 3 is supposed to come out, but unlike Byleth, who required Sakurai to play FETH early, he could also draw a part of their moveset from Splatoon 2. So they're feasible enough to be:
  • a caracter from an installment in said series that technically doesn't have a playable character in Smash;
  • and to top it all off, a push for a game that's launching possibly just a few months after the fact.
I don’t think this is a very large pattern considering newcomers for the base game of Smash 4 were unlockable, an honor that would be odd to bestow on the then-rare third party characters. Even so, Pac-Man and Mega Man were the only third parties that could’ve been revealed last, which ratio-wise is a steep odd to overcome. This makes Corrin, Incineroar and Byleth the only upholders of this pattern, two of which were revealed together with third party characters.

If we take into account why Corrin was chosen, it makes more sense to predict a first party to round out the pass. This would be a character not unlike Octoling to represent a game that would otherwise miss the boat and fall in an interbellum between two Smash games. I think that with the long DLC cycle Smash Ultimate had, it’s a tactic that makes a lot of sense to repeat.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm confident we'll get a lot of music, I just want them to not skip this gem. It's a crime this only played during 4? battles. Though they at least used this in Torna: The Golden Country

Talking about Torna, do you think the Torna crew could be appearing in the background as well? I really hope Jin and Malos to be part of the spirit board. My doubt it's because they were designed by Nomura so maybe Nintendo didn't even care to contact him for a few spirits.

Y'know, Pyra and Mythra had some uncanny similarities with Min Min. Female fighter chosen over the main character, first-party, 2017 Switch release that missed out on the base game, and a weapon change mechanic. D'you think we might have some parallels with Steve and Sephiroth later down the line, or am I just looking for patterns where there aren't any?
A bit late on this, but I don't think it says much about parallels with third party characters, but I do think we might be seeing a slight shift in how Nintendo views first party additions. Nothing major, but it shows that we're able to get additions that bend the "rules" a bit. Pyra is probably the most important character in XC2, but Smash is the first time she's been playable in a proper fashion. Min Min wasn't the poster child. Both are more liked than the counterparts people would have expected. I don't know that I could pinpoint exactly what the change is, but I think there is one.

There's a chance there were gameplay considerations that led to what we got, but we could just as easily have gotten solo Rex.

Then came 4 DLC and you might be thinking this is where the pattern breaks with Bayonetta, but... not really. Remember that datamine that revealed Bayo's data two weeks after the ballot was set up? As in, before Corrin had any data in the game? This implies Corrin was the de facto last newcomer for Smash 4, but for whatever reason they were switched around. So we technically ended on Corrin - a first party.
To get technical, both were last. They released in the same patch. It's just that Bayonetta was revealed later in the presentation.

Last edited:

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. The character is notable on its own, and coincidentally is also someone Sakurai likes.

Probably not a ballot character, though? Maybe?
Hmmm, i don’t think so, like Joker he is not someone to expect, their series have a lot of fans and they aren’t just “names”, still if we compare them to the other 3rd party characters that we got they are like a bunch of nobodies, and this statement will get even more strong if Crash is coming too lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, there's that too. In the past I'd argue there were more good players to cheer for, especially in WC. But it just hasn't been the same since 2002. Legit: even the Campeonato Brasileiro has bcome a bore to watch imo.

Then came 4 DLC and you might be thinking this is where the pattern breaks with Bayonetta, but... not really. Remember that datamine that revealed Bayo's data two weeks after the ballot was set up? As in, before Corrin had any data in the game? This implies Corrin was, in fact, the de facto last newcomer for Smash 4, but for whatever reason they were switched around. So we technically ended on Corrin - a first party.

That sounds reasonable. Though, I'm a bit hesitant on the Octolings for Splatoon 3. They could represent it, but it seems like the Inklings still receive equal billing, if not more. That, and the Squid Sisters costumes. If we were getting any sort of Splatoon character, we'd more than likely get any and all Splatoon Miis in the wave that comes with it. However, we already got Splatoon content, so I'm not really optimistic on any Splatoon fighter.

Now that Rex is out of the way in a sorta victory-He doesn't strike me as the guy to get to salty about his pals in Smash, and if anything I think he counts that as a win regardless-There aren't many first-parties left. Discounting any series that already have DLC content, I think these guys are our best bets. Though, they still have some fairly large setbacks. To wit:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee - A popular request from a series that hasn't had a new fighter in the last two games. Could possibly push the potential upcoming Kirby game. Held back by supporting character status; Kirby is most likely keeping his main character role, and the non-protags so far have been from settings without much content. Nintendo may feel that Kirby supports that game well enough on his own.
  • Euden - From a decently large new IP, and Nintendo's first original mobile game. Has zero content in Smash at all at the moment, and has had some decently large crossovers, like Monster Hunter and Persona 5. Held back by Nintendo moving away from the mobile market, as well as Dragalia being unavailable in the EU. Though, I think we're getting something from this guy at the end of the day, even if it's just a Spirit or Mii Costume.
  • Dixie Kong - Decently popular in the Smash fanbase and well-known by the general public. Could bring content from the modern DK games. Held back by the lack of urgency in the content, so to speak; Donkey King himself is still the main character in those games, and Nintendo might consider him representation enough.
  • Ayumi Tachibana - Her game is finally getting remastered and localized, and could be used to give them a bump. Was considered for Smash 64 and Melee, and could be used to tie a bow on it all as well. However, she's also prime Spirit fodder, if the events so far are any indication.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, there's that too. In the past I'd argue there were more good players to cheer for, especially in WC. But it just hasn't been the same since 2002. Legit: even the Campeonato Brasileiro has become a bore to watch imo.

:ultolimar: and:ultshulk: were the last pre-release newcomers for Brawl and Smash 4 respectively.

That being said, if your theory is correct, then perhaps the likes of Dixie or BanDee could be the last character?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Brandy Kopp did her lines as Palutena in BC. Plus, getting actors based in New York and Los Angeles when localization was done in Seattle was likely wasn't a cheap move, especially when they could just pull a Brawl and get local Seattle actors to do the lines instead.

Also, none of us have any idea of what the negotiations between Nintendo and the FF actors' unions were like, so it seems a little disingenuous to automatically assume Nintendo was requesting slave wages. The fact that this wasn't an issue for almost every other member of the cast, I highly doubt Nintendo's initial offers were anything too outrageous relative to the amount of labour put in.
THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom