• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
No, the leak just says the concert is last year. It seems like it’ll be an event to celebrate the end of Smash Ultimate. I’d love to see Crash & I’d like to see MonHun, but I hope it’s fake because I’m still holding out hope for Fighter Pass 3. Though, if that’s not announced alongside the next character then I don’t think it’ll happen.
Ah I misread then. Sorry about that.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That is literally not what i meant. i'm saying he definitely did have a influence, but the slightest. I also wouldn't narrow it down to Etika since many other nintendo/smash based content creators were also disappointed in arms/xc2 not being in base game and huge supporters of them coming as dlc. To say that they don't look into their community or notice which characters are popular would be dumb. If they didn't, why would they put the 2 most popular characters from xc2 and the most popular arms characters instead of like lora/jin for xc2 and helix or sum **** for arms.
There's no way in hell they didn't have the plans for the second pass completely locked down when they announced it in August 2019. Etika died mere weeks before that. He did not influence this at all. That's all I said, not that they didn't check the community or anything. I say this because I don't want to see more people say "My favourite is objectively better because this person who died would have wanted them" like I've seen people pull with Iwata

Ornl

Smash Ace
PICK 1 TOON
[Fan-theory] Fan-quota of a non-human(oid) 3rd-party toon
There are only 2 places left. To offer diversity, Fighter Pass 2 would need (or not ?) 1 "ultimate" non-human(oid) 3rd-party toon.
What do you think ?
In my opinion, being "ultimate" would be being able to stand iconically and legitimately alongside :ultsonic::ultpacman::ultbanjokazooie:.
I obviously put a subjectivity altert.

Existing
Nintendo rep

• In Ultimate, 25/64 (≈3/8) of the Fighters are non-human(oid) toons.
3rd-party newcomers
• Brawl (1/2)
• Sm4sh (1/2) · DLC (0/3)
• Ultimate (0/3) · FP1 (1/4) · FP2 (?/2)
-> All (3/16)

Japanese candidates

• "Non-ultimate"
Agumon · Amaterasu · Jibanyan · Klonoa · Mametchi · Prinny (Disgaea)...
• "Little ultimate"
They are iconic, but it would be hard to understand that they comes in the 2 last DLCs.
Bub and Bob · Frogger (because Bomberman)
• "Ultimate"
Space Invaders, iconic and legitimate alongside Pac-Man.

Western candidates
• "Non-ultimate"
Meat Boy · Ori · Penguin (Club Penguin!) · Q*bert · Sackboy · The Goose · The Knight (Hollow Knight) · Worms...
• "Little ultimate"
They are iconic, but it would be hard to understand that they comes in the 2 last DLCs.
Angry Bird · Rayman (he appears since Sm4sh; it would be hard to understand for his upgrade comes in a paid DLC, and Ubisoft has already offered Mii Costumes)
• "Ultimate"
Crash Bandicoot, iconic and legitimate alongside Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
There's no way in hell they didn't have the plans for the second pass completely locked down when they announced it in August 2019. Etika died mere weeks before that. He did not influence this at all. That's all I said, not that they didn't check the community or anything. I say this because I don't want to see more people say "My favourite is objectively better because this person who died would have wanted them" like I've seen people pull with Iwata
Well if they were paying attention to the community, there is no chance that they didn't see etikas stuff........ its not like it disappeared off the internet

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, Pyra and Mythra had some uncanny similarities with Min Min. Female fighter chosen over the main character, first-party, 2017 Switch release that missed out on the base game, and a weapon change mechanic. D'you think we might have some parallels with Steve and Sephiroth later down the line, or am I just looking for patterns where there aren't any?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Mortal Kombat has no presence in Japan" is a bit disingenuous. It's not being sold since the first game(and I think maybe some of 2?), due to the violent nature of the game itself. It however is on the black market often because people still want it. It has a smaller presence, and one I agree would affect Nintendo's thought on having it in Smash. Since they can't fully promote it very well at that point. I'd see a Spirit Event as possile.

However, the whole "they can't work in Smash" isn't a good point. Blood and Gore is not a requirement, and having forceful "violent" moves has been done just fine with Ridley. They can easily transfer their personality and style very well. That doesn't mean it's a logical representation, since the blood/gore is important to the series(though Nintendo has legally had it censored before, so it's clear that it can get away with it fine). Never mind Mortal Kombat VS DC Universe(the official game number 8 in the MK universe itself) shows it's most definitely not an issue to censor it. Not speaking on how good a game it is. It's "okay" at best.

I don't think they're getting in regardless, but it's not due to a lack of presence(it has the popularity worldwide to justify it), it's due to it being unable to be sold, making it a difficult series to promote and Sakurai probably not wanting to censor the point behind the series that much. Of course, we don't actually know how Sakurai nor Nintendo feel, but I doubt them. Seeing the lack of actual ability to sell, that also means a Spirit Event might be avoided for similar reasons. On another note, Nintendo has more than once had exclusive content in their MK ports before, so it's not like they don't have good ties with the series. It had more Kharacters in the Wii version of Armageddon(and the only thing it lacked was online, since MKWii had to have it first), Khameleon alone was a Nintendo exclusive, and then there's stuff like various DLC characters/options like Shao Kahn. They do clearly have a decent tie to the series, whether it's censoring or exclusive, that other console companies don't have. Means little, but at least we know they see it as something they take an interest in enough for exclusive content. It means jack for Smash, though, due to other factors.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I woke up to an extra 10 pages, but has this been posted yet? It’s a post from January 8th claiming that Nintendo is going to do a Smash concert next year. It predicted one of the songs from Xenoblade 2 as well as N Sanity Beach (Crash) & Proof of a Hero (Monster Hunter).

It’s very interesting, but it could just be another case of “Monkeys on type writers” especially since it talks about Crash & MonHun who are already highly discussed. If it is then congrats on that person getting a Xenoblade 2 character I guess lol
I'd love to see an actual Smash concert! Only question is, though, how the **** are they gonna twist Sugiyama's arm to use his music in a concert he's not a part of?

Ivander

Smash Legend
I woke up to an extra 10 pages, but has this been posted yet? It’s a post from January 8th claiming that Nintendo is going to do a Smash concert next year. It predicted one of the songs from Xenoblade 2 as well as N Sanity Beach (Crash) & Proof of a Hero (Monster Hunter).

It’s very interesting, but it could just be another case of “Monkeys on type writers” especially since it talks about Crash & MonHun who are already highly discussed. If it is then congrats on that person getting a Xenoblade 2 character I guess lol
Well, this is certainly one of the more creative leaks. Bonus points for it being music related. As for the hinted fighters, I'd be fine with Crash and Monster Hunter. Will it be them? Only time will tell.

By the way, gotta enjoy the reactions to Rex, Pyra and Mythra's designs. Not because their outfits aren't all that bad, but because they could've had much worse designs. Much worse.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Y'know, Pyra and Mythra had some uncanny similarities with Min Min. Female fighter chosen over the main character, first-party, 2017 Switch release that missed out on the base game, and a weapon change mechanic. D'you think we might have some parallels with Steve and Sephiroth later down the line, or am I just looking for patterns where there aren't any?
If that's the case. then maybe:
  • Crash: Character from a widely regarded franchise by both veteran gamers and young kids
  • Sora: Character designed by Tetsuya Nomura
  • Dr. Eggman: Villain character from an already represented 3rd party franchise meant to give his franchise better representation

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Wait, if every song represents a fighter... where is Ken's theme? Should be between Isabelle and Incineroar, no? The other Echoes have themes too, and Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus' are separate from their originals.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I think it means MonHun is becoming a fighter. The list didn’t include Megalovania despite that being one of the most notable reveals in Smash Ultimate so far. Assuming this is real, of course.
i feel like its just someones guess yet again

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well if they were paying attention to the community, there is no chance that they didn't see etikas stuff........ its not like it disappeared off the internet
They know Etika existed. They know he was popular among their audience. But they also already locked in their DLC choices and finished negotiations, they aren't gonna back out of contracts that have already been finalized as a tribute or anything

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
If that's the case. then maybe:
  • Crash: Character from a widely regarded franchise by both veteran gamers and young kids
  • Sora: Character designed by Tetsuya Nomura
  • Dr. Eggman: Villain character from an already represented 3rd party franchise meant to give his franchise better representation
I’m pretty sure about Crash or Eggman, one if not both ( still waiting for sakurai to confirm hayabusa bcuz leaks/rumors ) are coming, sadly not so sure about Sora, but we still need a third trailer showing Galeem and Darkon sooo we can expect a third SE character

SKX31

Smash Master
To be fair, Wikipedia thinks Castlevania's Dracula is worthy of his own separate article.
He kind of is worthy of his own article though - Castlevania's Dracula has become kind of his own thing and has been a notable bad guy through decades of games. Plus playable by proxy in a couple.

Welp, we found the mistake. You know the drill.

Get the guillotine
I like how the phrasing sounds like 3BitSaurus is the one being executed. Can't have **** in Brazil
Confirmed, Brazil is the most hardcore Smash place on Earth (just as a lot of Brazilians take football / soccer very, very seriously). With the cheeriest music too:

:4pacman:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

The problem with this leak is that holding this kind of concert would be a legal nightmare which would make it practically impossible to be a real thing.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Min Min/P+M are kinda in way different situations since Pyra/Mythra are the faces of xc2 as a whole including dlc while min min is kinda just a character on the roster. They are more of deuteragonists but you can definitely stretch them to protagonists if you really want to.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
in the cse left we only really have 2 major franchise left, Yakuza and Phantasy Star
Puyo has outsold both of these series (and every other SEGA series that isn't Sonic) and is a massively recognizable and popular brand across Japan. Definitely deserves to be acknowledged as a "major series" if nothing else.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Having both Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest in one concert that has no involvement from either composer seems unlikely to me.

A smash concert would be rad as hell though.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I like how the phrasing sounds like 3BitSaurus is the one being executed. Can't have **** in Brazil
And now you know how dinosaurs became extinct! They just executed each other while speculating over... whatever their equivalent to Smash was. :4pacman:

Confirmed, Brazil is the most hardcore Smash place on Earth (just as a lot of Brazilians take football / soccer very, very seriously). With the cheeriest music too:
You know, I've never played Civ, but I listened to the track and I have to say... I approve. :roll:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
They know Etika existed. They know he was popular among their audience. But they also already locked in their DLC choices and finished negotiations, they aren't gonna back out of contracts that have already been finalized as a tribute or anything
I never said or thought it was a tribute. I'm talking about his influence on it along with the rest of the community like during the hype up to the games release and all of that. I am saying that the community helped with the dlc pass 2 picks, not that pass 2 is a tribute to etika. His influence on it has nothing to do with his death at all.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I never said or thought it was a tribute. I'm talking about his influence on it along with the rest of the community like during the hype up to the games release and all of that. I am saying that the community helped with the dlc pass 2 picks, not that pass 2 is a tribute to etika......
Oh I completely ****ing misread that then, sorry for that. As for the community, it's not different from any other Smash game lol

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Adam Howden's literally the only actor they got who doesn't live in the US and unions not meeting halfway means Nintendo didn't want to pay a proper wage
I'm pretty sure Brandy Kopp did her lines as Palutena in BC. Plus, getting actors based in New York and Los Angeles when localization was done in Seattle was likely wasn't a cheap move, especially when they could just pull a Brawl and get local Seattle actors to do the lines instead.

Also, none of us have any idea of what the negotiations between Nintendo and the FF actors' unions were like, so it seems a little disingenuous to automatically assume Nintendo was requesting slave wages. The fact that this wasn't an issue for almost every other member of the cast, I highly doubt Nintendo's initial offers were anything too outrageous relative to the amount of labour put in.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Having both Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest in one concert that has no involvement from either composer seems unlikely to me.

A smash concert would be rad as hell though.
Nobuo Uematsu I could see, as he's definitely allowed outside parties to use his music in concerts. Look up Symphonic Fantasies.

Sugiyama, yeah. That's a different story.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'm really glad that the Xenoblade franchise got its second representative in Smash. Although I did initally hoped for a Rex & Pyra team-up, I'm actually very happy that Pyra and Mythra made it in.

D

Deleted member

I bet in the Sakurai Presents for this, he's going to say that the two aren't 'Swordfighters, they're Swords that fight!!' or make some pun similar.

On a serious note, what do you all think the chances are that Pyra/Mithra are interchangeable to start with? Like, can I choose to start as Mithra or will it it always be Pyra you start with?

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
I don’t know if I agree about this, nowadays people started to lose interest in those things here, it’s still a trend but not that big anymore

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
On a serious note, what do you all think the chances are that Pyra/Mythra are interchangeable to start with? Like, can I choose to start as Mythra or will it it always be Pyra you start with?
The two have separate fighter numbers on the site (Pyra is 79, Mythra is 80) so it's likely you'll be able to choose who you start with, much like how you can choose which Pokémon you send out first as the Pokémon Trainer.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure Brandy Kopp did her lines as Palutena in BC. Plus, getting actors based in New York and Los Angeles when localization was done in Seattle was likely wasn't a cheap move, especially when they could just pull a Brawl and get local Seattle actors to do the lines instead.

Also, none of us have any idea of what the negotiations between Nintendo and the FF actors' unions were like, so it seems a little disingenuous to automatically assume Nintendo was requesting slave wages. The fact that this wasn't an issue for almost every other member of the cast, I highly doubt Nintendo's initial offers were anything too outrageous relative to the amount of labour put in.
Nintendo's Union problems don't stop with the FF's VA though, it's just more noticeable with them because they legally can't use cheaper substitutes or let them go uncredited so we're stuck with the original actors.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don’t know if I agree about this, nowadays people started to lose interest in those things here, it’s still a trend but not that big anymore
To be fair, Covid probably played a role in that. You know, no going to the stadiums and whatnot. I don't think it dropped that significantly, as far as I'm aware.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I bet in the Sakurai Presents for this, he's going to say that the two aren't 'Swordfighters, they're Swords that fight!!' or make some pun similar.

On a serious note, what do you all think the chances are that Pyra/Mithra are interchangeable to start with? Like, can I choose to start as Mithra or will it it always be Pyra you start with?
I am willing to be that it will be like Pokemon Trainer, you can almost certainly choose which one at the beginning.

In other news, I think we odds are will get Amiibos for both of them since unlike Byleth, they are separate fighters.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Azurda as a stage was what I really wanted for a stage for 2, but I wasn't sure how they could make him land in the titans (specifically Uraya and Tantal) without making it look weird. Turns out the solution was just to leave them in the background. That said, hopefully it's more than just battle themes that come with Pyra and Mythra.

Pokemon Trainer is, and Zero Suit and Sheik were before Smash 4, so more than likely yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom