• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
When I was looking at the original Xenoblade art and the Smash renders, I just noticed that Sakurai gave Pyra see-through leggings and Mythra black leggings... probably to make them appropriate for good boys and girls.

Sakurai could have given Mai Shiranui see-through leggings and sports bra (to prevent side boob) so she could appear on the King of Fighters stage.

I guess it probably wouldn’t have helped anyway... Tharja is covered up in see-through clothes and her trophy still got cut from SSB4.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
YEAH THIS IS HOW WE GET A WILD ARMS CHARACTER IN SMASH LET'S GO LET'S ****ING GO
Kinda doubt that. They had the perfect chance to do that with ARMS; The fighters in the league are all beasts (wink wink), but they went for Min Min and her heroic noodly ARMS instead. If they didn't take that chance then, I think that's curtains for the concept.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
inb4 during Pyra & Mythra presentation Sakurai announces we'll get a Smash Concert in the future and this "leak" gains attraction

I'm 99% sure Pyra and Mythra won't have their swimsuit alts. Like, I can't imagine it happening at all.

And if they have swimsuit alts, I'd say they would redesign the swimsuits.
Pyra and Mythra aren't wearing Bikini's though, so it would mostly just be adjusting the designs slightly to make it work for CERO.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Kinda doubt that. They had the perfect chance to do that with ARMS; The fighters in the league are all beasts (wink wink), but they went for Min Min and her heroic noodly ARMS instead. If they didn't take that chance then, I think that's curtains for the concept.
sharklord this is NOT your silly haha james movie we're talking about this is about the underrated art of cowboy JRPGs smh

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
What if the last character was Bandana Dee?
Japan would definitely be really excited for it

I think many in the other Regions would be too, Since I see Bandana do really well on North American polls (I don't remember how well he does in Europe) but I'd also imagine Bandana would get flak for being a boring choice or something like that. I guess at that point it's up to Sakurai and the Team to make him feel cool and epic

Personally for me, It just be really eh, but no hate towards Bandana dee

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
It won’t be as bad as with Byleth and we survived that. For a certain definition of surviving anyways.
People are going to start expecting a big reveal for the last character and get disappointed either way with a Pokémon or something, but we never know maybe this time they will do justice and save the best for last.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don’t think this is a very large pattern considering newcomers for the base game of Smash 4 were unlockable, an honor that would be odd to bestow on the then-rare third party characters. Even so, Pac-Man and Mega Man were the only third parties that could’ve been revealed last, which ratio-wise is a steep odd to overcome. This makes Corrin, Incineroar and Byleth the only upholders of this pattern, two of which were revealed together with third party characters.

If we take into account why Corrin was chosen, it makes more sense to predict a first party to round out the pass. This would be a character not unlike Octoling to represent a game that would otherwise miss the boat and fall in an interbellum between two Smash games. I think that with the long DLC cycle Smash Ultimate had, it’s a tactic that makes a lot of sense to repeat.
Possibly, yes. Though Snake and Sonic were also unlockable in Brawl and pretty much everyone is an unlockable in Ultimate.

To get technical, both were last. They released in the same patch. It's just that Bayonetta was revealed later in the presentation.
Yeah, I meant implementation-wise. Or at least, the closest we could get to that answer.

That sounds reasonable. Though, I'm a bit hesitant on the Octolings for Splatoon 3. They could represent it, but it seems like the Inklings still receive equal billing, if not more. That, and the Squid Sisters costumes. If we were getting any sort of Splatoon character, we'd more than likely get any and all Splatoon Miis in the wave that comes with it. However, we already got Splatoon content, so I'm not really optimistic on any Splatoon fighter.

Now that Rex is out of the way in a sorta victory-He doesn't strike me as the guy to get to salty about his pals in Smash, and if anything I think he counts that as a win regardless-There aren't many first-parties left. Discounting any series that already have DLC content, I think these guys are our best bets. Though, they still have some fairly large setbacks. To wit:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee - A popular request from a series that hasn't had a new fighter in the last two games. Could possibly push the potential upcoming Kirby game. Held back by supporting character status; Kirby is most likely keeping his main character role, and the non-protags so far have been from settings without much content. Nintendo may feel that Kirby supports that game well enough on his own.
  • Euden - From a decently large new IP, and Nintendo's first original mobile game. Has zero content in Smash at all at the moment, and has had some decently large crossovers, like Monster Hunter and Persona 5. Held back by Nintendo moving away from the mobile market, as well as Dragalia being unavailable in the EU. Though, I think we're getting something from this guy at the end of the day, even if it's just a Spirit or Mii Costume.
  • Dixie Kong - Decently popular in the Smash fanbase and well-known by the general public. Could bring content from the modern DK games. Held back by the lack of urgency in the content, so to speak; Donkey King himself is still the main character in those games, and Nintendo might consider him representation enough.
  • Ayumi Tachibana - Her game is finally getting remastered and localized, and could be used to give them a bump. Was considered for Smash 64 and Melee, and could be used to tie a bow on it all as well. However, she's also prime Spirit fodder, if the events so far are any indication.
:ultolimar: and:ultshulk: were the last pre-release newcomers for Brawl and Smash 4 respectively.

That being said, if your theory is correct, then perhaps the likes of Dixie or BanDee could be the last character?
Dunno... BWD and Dixie rely on a hypothetical new game to fit that criteria, and Euden relies on the whole "unplayable in several countries" thing being broken - though I can see Dragalia being pushed for sure, as it just got another crossover event... with a third party character that's in Smash, no less.

The only one in both your posts I could see fitting is Ayumi... and considering how risk-averse the first party selection tends to be, I'm not sure Nintendo would want to bet their chips on a game that's being localized for the first time. Though I'd be perfectly fine with being wrong here. :p

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So Smash is pretty infamous for always ending their newcomer spree on a relatively low note. Who would you guys think would be the most troll move for the final fighter of Pass 2?
Would Euden count? I know a lot of people don't want him because "mobile bad give like", but now that Pyra is in, I think he's the most likely first party left. Assuming we're getting another first party, of course.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Difference being that nobody thought Splatoon was overrepresented unlike with Fire Emblem. I imagine the Octolings would get the same reception as Min Min.
And a good chunk of the Smash Community would probably be mad about Splatoon getting a Second Character before Pikmin lol. And this is coming from someone who thinks the Octolings would be a fantastic addition.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Difference being that nobody thought Splatoon was overrepresented unlike with Fire Emblem. I imagine the Octolings would get the same reception as Min Min.
Actually I don't think they will

One possibility I thought of that might make these last Characters seem more controversial than the other 4 characters in Fighter Pass 2 is that if people might mistake them for Echo Fighters

Like perhaps even if they have the most unique moveset, it's possible that people might just pay attention to the fact that they have Very similiar body type to a character and assume they are heavily similar. Octoling would be an example since Octolings have very similar body type to Inkling.

-----------

Also separate from this, but I think Euden will be a Mii Costume in this Pyra/Mythra's wave

Goombaic

Smash Ace
That sounds reasonable. Though, I'm a bit hesitant on the Octolings for Splatoon 3. They could represent it, but it seems like the Inklings still receive equal billing, if not more. That, and the Squid Sisters costumes. If we were getting any sort of Splatoon character, we'd more than likely get any and all Splatoon Miis in the wave that comes with it. However, we already got Splatoon content, so I'm not really optimistic on any Splatoon fighter.

Now that Rex is out of the way in a sorta victory-He doesn't strike me as the guy to get to salty about his pals in Smash, and if anything I think he counts that as a win regardless-There aren't many first-parties left. Discounting any series that already have DLC content, I think these guys are our best bets. Though, they still have some fairly large setbacks. To wit:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee - A popular request from a series that hasn't had a new fighter in the last two games. Could possibly push the potential upcoming Kirby game. Held back by supporting character status; Kirby is most likely keeping his main character role, and the non-protags so far have been from settings without much content. Nintendo may feel that Kirby supports that game well enough on his own.
  • Euden - From a decently large new IP, and Nintendo's first original mobile game. Has zero content in Smash at all at the moment, and has had some decently large crossovers, like Monster Hunter and Persona 5. Held back by Nintendo moving away from the mobile market, as well as Dragalia being unavailable in the EU. Though, I think we're getting something from this guy at the end of the day, even if it's just a Spirit or Mii Costume.
  • Dixie Kong - Decently popular in the Smash fanbase and well-known by the general public. Could bring content from the modern DK games. Held back by the lack of urgency in the content, so to speak; Donkey King himself is still the main character in those games, and Nintendo might consider him representation enough.
  • Ayumi Tachibana - Her game is finally getting remastered and localized, and could be used to give them a bump. Was considered for Smash 64 and Melee, and could be used to tie a bow on it all as well. However, she's also prime Spirit fodder, if the events so far are any indication.
Not to mention that Octolings as unique fighters will be a hard sell to many people. They've always been a character you only see mentioned for a hypothetical echo pass or "what if every series got one more character?" discussions, their unique potential is rarely brought up, and it's not hard to see why.

Also, this is some blatant King Boo erasure here.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Not to mention that Octolings as unique fighters will be a hard sell to many people. They've always been a character you only see mentioned for hypothetical echo pass or "what if every series got one more character?" discussions, their unique potential is rarely brought up, and it's not hard to see why.
Byleth and Min Min were also hard sells yet they both made it in, sooooooo........, your point.

SKX31

Smash Master
Exactly, which is why it bugs me, I’ve seen people mentioning that Terry happened because of South America and blablabla, but that’s not it lol
I can assume that that's a welcome bonus from Nintendo's PoV and a secondary reason, but not the primary one. The primary one is off course, well, it's Terry. Not only were SNK's games popular in Japan, LatAm and China, but were important in the FGC scene in the 90s and influenced Smash. The latter two reasons were probably the other primary reasons all things considered.

What a coincidence we got Skyward Sword HD revealed in the same direct.
"Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government … You can’t expect to wield supreme power just ‘cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
– Monty Python (And the Holy Grail - the quote pokes fun at the Arthurian legend of how Arthur gets Excalibur. But really, if Monty Python was producing movies today they might've used a similar motif to poke fun at the Zelda franchise at least.)

Dunno... BWD and Dixie rely on a hypothetical new game to fit that criteria, and Euden relies on the whole "unplayable in several countries" thing being broken - though I can see Dragalia being pushed for sure, as it just got another crossover event... with a third party character that's in Smash, no less.
I feel that Euden could get in if Dragalia was redesigned to fit the Switch... problem is, well, it would take a lot of work and CyGames aren't really happy over Nintendo's involvement with Dragalia.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My guess is that if there is a Nintendo character, it's going to be a pick similar to Byleth. With this in mind, it's likely something that happened in this Nintendo Direct, which means no Kirby. Instead, we're looking at:
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • Miitopia
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Splatoon 3
As a revival, the Famicom Detective Club games sound like a decent bet, but there's also not really any sort of indication that they specifically want it to flourish, so I wouldn't put many chips in that corner. Mario Golf: Super Rush pretty much just has Waluigi as a candidate, and also it's Mario Golf; Probably not getting anything there. Miitopia was low key before and it's a miracle that it's getting a port now. The Mii Fighters are already a thing anyhow so I doubt it'll get a character even if it was the next big thing.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is probably the biggest thing here, but it's also already had it's promotional pick, so probably not. The Legend of Zelda series also already has a whole bunch of stuff, and it's not likely to get any more candidates to join unless they want Zelda. Splatoon 3 is coming out next year, so it's probably not getting anything here either.

There's a tiny possibility that they might monkey's paw in Mathew to celebrate a Golden Sun revival if they indeed intend to revive the series, but other than that, I don't think there are very many other likely candidates unless they haven't shown off their big game that isn't The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel yet for whatever reason.

EDIT: Oh, and Pokémon gets a maybe, but probably not from me as well.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Star Allies is newer than Xenoblade 2 and ARMS.
Hmm, and BWD was the very first Dream Friend introduced, no?

Alright, fair enough, I suppose. Tough I'm not sure if he's an accurate pick to represent SA as a singular game (like Byleth for TH, Min Min for ARMS and Pyra and Mythra for XC2).

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

The only one in both your posts I could see fitting is Ayumi... and considering how risk-averse the first party selection tends to be, I'm not sure Nintendo would want to bet their chips on a game that's being localized for the first time. Though I'd be perfectly fine with being wrong here. :p
Yeah, I did admit that they had some setbacks. Bandana Dee and Dixie are mainly there for their popularity as characters rather than hypothetical new releases, should've emphasized that.
I tend to list characters that have some things going against them because, well, that's what Smash does. Nobody would've thought we'd get an ARMS character because it's support petered off, but then Min Min happened. Joker was a shocker, because it was believed that third-parties needed Nintendo connections. Terry was a surprise because SNK's works were a bit more underground compared to the other represented series. We didn't guess Sephiroth because we didn't think third-parties would get a second fighter.
Smash has a habit of surprises, so I tend to go against the flow of speculation. We don't know what Smash choices look for, but loosening up on our standards just a little should get us a bit closer to the target.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So Smash is pretty infamous for always ending their newcomer spree on a relatively low note. Who would you guys think would be the most troll move for the final fighter of Pass 2?
A double dip. Like from the same franchise (Elma) or from an already repped company this pass (like Neku)

Or... hear me out... Apex Legends.

Speaking of 7NATOR 7NATOR what did that Apex guy say lately?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I did admit that they had some setbacks. Bandana Dee and Dixie are mainly there for their popularity as characters rather than hypothetical new releases, should've emphasized that.
I tend to list characters that have some things going against them because, well, that's what Smash does. Nobody would've thought we'd get an ARMS character because it's support petered off, but then Min Min happened. Joker was a shocker, because it was believed that third-parties needed Nintendo connections. Terry was a surprise because SNK's works were a bit more underground compared to the other represented series. We didn't guess Sephiroth because we didn't think third-parties would get a second fighter.
Smash has a habit of surprises, so I tend to go against the flow of speculation. We don't know what Smash choices look for, but loosening up on our standards just a little should get us a bit closer to the target.
Yeah, I think you're absolutely right! Tbh I kinda just wanted to air that one thought and see what everyone's opinion was.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
My guess is that if there is a Nintendo character, it's going to be a pick similar to Byleth. With this in mind, it's likely something that happened in this Nintendo Direct, which means no Kirby. Instead, we're looking at:
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Missing Heir
  • Famicom Detective Club: The Girl Who Stands Behind
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush
  • Miitopia
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Splatoon 3
As a revival, the Famicom Detective Club games sound like a decent bet, but there's also not really any sort of indication that they specifically want it to flourish, so I wouldn't put many chips in that corner. Mario Golf: Super Rush pretty much just has Waluigi as a candidate, and also it's Mario Golf; Probably not getting anything there. Miitopia was low key before and it's a miracle that it's getting a port now. The Mii Fighters are already a thing anyhow so I doubt it'll get a character even if it was the next big thing.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons is probably the biggest thing here, but it's also already had it's promotional pick, so probably not. The Legend of Zelda series also already has a whole bunch of stuff, and it's not likely to get any more candidates to join unless they want Zelda. Splatoon 3 is coming out next year, so it's probably not getting anything here either.

There's a tiny possibility that they might monkey's paw in Mathew to celebrate a Golden Sun revival if they indeed intend to revive the series, but other than that, I don't think there are very many other likely candidates unless they haven't shown off their big game that isn't The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's sequel yet for whatever reason.
I think Splatoon 3 mostly depends on if it was meant for this year or not. If it was always meant for 2022, then it's absolutely not making it in. If it was intended for 2021 however, then I think there's a definite possibility that Sakurai was interested in Splatoon 3 moveset wise.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
What if the last character was Bandana Dee?
Bandana Dee fans would then own the biggest salt mine in the universe, and we'd all be sitting on top of it while happily drinking apple juice.

Jokes aside, I don't even think he'd be poorly received if he's fun to play as and his trailer is exciting at the very least.
I personally think it would be a nice move though, considering that other notable franchises like DK, Metroid, and Xenoblade got patched up with more representation in Ultimate.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Splatoon 3 mostly depends on if it was meant for this year or not. If it was always meant for 2022, then it's absolutely not making it in. If it was intended for 2021 however, then I think there's a definite possibility that Sakurai was interested in Splatoon 3 moveset wise.
I think a Splatoon character would be a lock for a 3rd pass, be it an Octoling, D.J. Octavio, a Sammod, or whatever. Now though? Eeeeeeh. There's really no way of knowing, so I'll have to assume the due dates were meant to be what was stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom