• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Imagine feeling threatened by a buff dude but not a 22 year old child wielding a large ass anchor as if it was nothing
I’m not saying getting reamed by dolphins against a wall is my fetish. But I’m not not saying it either.

My guilty gear opponents must feel the same way too or they wouldn’t let it happen to them so often.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
We also have a boy on the roster who gained his psychic powers by being inappropriately touched by what looks like transgender fairies. He also gets high on psilocybin mushrooms later to release himself of the trauma that was losing his parents.

Mother 3 really needs to be localized. Typing this out was fun.
To be fair he needed Hp if youre missing both Arms are in danger and need to save the world you probably would eat something (even if it could be drugged) to regrow them

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know... i think Shantae's chances has been raised because of Pyra and Mythra. Their addition makes me really feel the whole fp2 is about characters who just barely missed the base game due to timing, and characters whos talks started during base game(steve was in talks since 2017 it seems, and i think sephiroth was a long time too they said)

That being said why does this increase shantaes chances? Well she has 2 spirits in the game, and shes the only indie without any assist trophy tied to it, which is impressive. Her spirits are the very last ones on the list. And she has a multiplayer icon, which she is the only one to have an icon who isnt tied to a fighter, or assist trophy. These things make me feel that she may have been consodered late, but put to the side due to timing or lateness.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
You know... i think Shantae's chances has been raised because of Pyra and Mythra. Their addition makes me really feel the whole fp2 is about characters who just barely missed the base game due to timing, and characters whos talks started during base game(steve was in talks since 2017 it seems, and i think sephiroth was a long time too they said)

That being said why does this increase shantaes chances? Well she has 2 spirits in the game, and shes the only indie without any assist trophy tied to it, which is impressive. Her spirits are the very last ones on the list. And she has a multiplayer icon, which she is the only one to have an icon who isnt tied to a fighter, or assist trophy. These things make me feel that she may have been consodered late, but put to the side due to timing or lateness.
Not saying she's impossible, but would the characters in the second pass qualify as coming from indie games?

I'm not too familiar with xeno, but I think that's pretty popular from what I hear. As for the series min min is in... is it?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
30+ missed pages whew. Took the day off to avoid spoilers and then all my friends and I could talk about was Splatoon 3. So what’s the general consensus on Pyra/Mythra so far?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Not saying she's impossible, but would the characters in the second pass qualify as coming from indie games?

I'm not too familiar with xeno, but I think that's pretty popular from what I hear. As for the series min min is in... is it?
Indie, short for independent, has to do with who is developing and publishing the game. They are games made by smaller teams, independent of larger companies.

Arms was developed by Nintendo and Xenoblade by one of its subsidiaries. They aren't indie, they're the opposite of indie.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I dont think indie games are off the table as playable honestly. Nothing has said that they are. I think its possible its a steve situation mixed with rex and arms situation. They were thought about late and talked about, bit it was too late to add them, so they just went woth spirits, and they had a player icon planned early so they tossed that in still. After fp2 was green lit they put her back on the table. Only time will tell though

As for arms, it wasnt as popular as the other games, but nintendo seemed to like it.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Indie, short for independent, has to do with who is developing and publishing the game. They are games made by smaller teams, independent of larger companies.

Arms was developed by Nintendo and Xenoblade by one of its subsidiaries. They aren't indie, they're the opposite of indie.
Ah. I thought it meant something else. Welp, my bad.

That means that every character in the second pass has been by big companies. Doesn't seem likely for indie game characters, but then nothing is guaranteed at this point.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
As far as first parties go, if we were to get a fighter tied to a future release, Famicom Club and Splatoon would be the frontrunners, I'd say. Granted, I personally don't think either of them is happening, but it's good to see new first party series in the spotlight for once.

Tangentially related, but looking back I still find it funny how a lot of people were dissing Splatoon when it was first announced, saying it would flop for sure.

A few years later, and it's literally one of Nintendo's most successful new IPs in quite some time. And if the trend continues sales-wise for Splatoon 3, it may even beat the likes of Fire Emblem, Metroid and Luigi's Mansion in lifetime sales. In its third game.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

That means that every character in the second pass has been by big companies. Doesn't seem likely for indie game characters, but then nothing is guaranteed at this point.
To be fair, Minecraft was once considered indie. It isn't now that Microsoft owns it but even if they never acquired it, you can bet Nintendo still would have sought it out. It's Minecraft after all.

zferolie

Smash Hero
As far as first parties go, if we were to get a fighter tied to a future release, Famicom Club and Splatoon would be the frontrunners, I'd say. Granted, I personally don't think either of them is happening, but it's good to see new first party series in the spotlight for once.

Tangentially related, but looking back I still find it funny how a lot of people were dissing Splatoon when it was first announced, saying it would flop for sure.

A few years later, and it's literally one of Nintendo's most successful new IPs in quite some time. And if the trend continues sales-wise for Splatoon 3, it may even beat the likes of Fire Emblem, Metroid and Luigi's Mansion in lifetime sales. In its third game.
I feel like ayumi and an octoling are set for the next game for sure now. Or a fp3 if that still happens.

As for splatoon 3. Its funny we had 3 splatoon games before a new mario kart game. A main line consol one not counting the mobile one

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't remember any of that. I saw an overwhelmingly positive reception for it from as early as its first reveal.

Pillow

Smash Lord

It’s not every character in the 2nd pass, it’s every character in Smash, period. There is not a single indie on the current roster (with the potential exception of Steve who started as an indie character but was not one at the time of his inclusion in Smash)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I feel like ayumi and an octoling are set for the next game for sure now. Or a fp3 if that still happens.

As for splatoon 3. Its funny we had 3 splatoon games before a new mario kart game. A main line consol one not counting the mobile one
Not to mention very few series get two all-new mainline entries in the same console. The only ones I remember are Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Fire Emblem. And these are considered "veteran" series, so for Splatoon to get to this level in so little time is certainly a testament to how much of a success it is.

I don't remember any of that. I saw an overwhelmingly positive reception for it from as early as its first reveal.
I saw both, tbh. A lot of people thought it was an interesting new take on shooters, but I also saw a good deal of people saying it was another one of those "experimental Nintendo games" they would leave in the dust after it released, or that it was "too different from other shooters to work".

Staarih

Smash Master
It was a mixed bag, some were definitely expecting a W101 scale bomb but that was likely more to do with the Wii U in general than Splatoon itself. Funny how big it managed to become.

I figured Splatoon would become a one-per-system game but here we are. We're getting what looks to be three Splatoon games within the time there's only been Mario Kart 8 (Deluxe) lol. I wonder if this opens up floodgates for Mario Kart 9, especially if a Switch revision is coming.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So, I think we can all say at this point, with the franchise getting 3 entries and it’s popularity, we’ll be seeing Octoling in Smash (echo or not) sometime in the future. Probably not this game, but next game.
Yeah i think next game octoling is a shoe in for at least an echo fighter.

Honestly i wish this game had more echos. They have a lot of potential to really add to the roster. Black shadow, octoling, impa, ms pac man, shadow the hedgehog, and Medusa

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I could see Splatoon getting two new characters next game. Octoling as a semi clone, and someone else (maybe DJ Octavio) as a unique.

People then whine about Splatoon bias.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'd love Octolings ans honestly if they could make them a whole new character somehow I'd love them in FP2 but I think the Splatoon costumes means that if there was gonna be a Splatoon rep, it would have came with them.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Ah yes, for a First Party experiment, despite the fact that Ribbon Girl got just as much of a spotlight in the Marketing as Spring Man. If Assist Trophies unconfirmed, then Sakurai would've said flat out that Spring Man didn't get in because he was an Assist Trophy. Again, if A|RMS had a Main Character and Assists Deconfirmed, then Ribbon Girl would've gotten in instead of Min Min.
Ribbon Girl gets a lot of attention as well, and she's in the game as a Mii costume. I normally don't think Mii costume disconfirm characters, but perhaps Sakurai really does take that into consideration and thus didn't consider using her in the first place, thus prompting him to ask the ARMS director now that the two characters widely considered the protagonists are not usable, who else should he use and if he (the director) doesn't mind a non-protagonist appearing first.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
  • 78 numbered characters (:ultmario:->:ultsephiroth:)
  • 7 echoes ( :ultlucina::ultdarkpit::ultdaisy::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultken::ultrichter:)
  • 14 character alts (:ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig::ultalph::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4::ultsteve::ultsteve::ultsteve: )
  • Pyra & Myhtra
=
101 characters 😎
Yeah i guess if we count alts seperatly we have over 100 characters in the game... that is very impressive. Can any other fighter other then mugen boast this?

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I wonder when Sakurai is going to do the presentation on pyra?

I might not tune in, since I know nothing about the series she's from, and will probably spend most of it lost lol.

Depends what day and time it is.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Ribbon Girl gets a lot of attention as well, and she's in the game as a Mii costume. I normally don't think Mii costume disconfirm characters, but perhaps Sakurai really does take that into consideration and thus didn't consider using her in the first place, thus prompting him to ask the ARMS director now that the two characters widely considered the protagonists are not usable, who else should he use and if he (the director) doesn't mind a non-protagonist appearing first.
I think people go about costumes and spirits the wrong way. It's not that Sakurai probably literally thinks since he qdded a character as a Mii costume that they can't be playable. Sakurai decides the characters first. The bade roster consisted of Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar and the echoes. Then a lot of the side content can be built around that.

That's why spirits deconfirm was a thing and why it's not anymore is because Fighter Pass 2 is basically a brand new slate. Min Min and Pyra missed the slate then and Sakurai probably didn't see a chance to add them so the best he could do is spirits. Now that he has a chance, he did. Deconfirm is a bad word to be honest, it implies that an event or a costume actively stops a character our of the running which it's the other way around. It's more like, why wouldn't the costume be released now instead of coming with the DLC character?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly i feel now the only thing that deconfirms are mii costumes. It really feels like sakurai thinks of them as substitutes of the fighter and would rather make new characters into fighters

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Ah yes, for a First Party experiment, despite the fact that Ribbon Girl got just as much of a spotlight in the Marketing as Spring Man. If Assist Trophies unconfirmed, then Sakurai would've said flat out that Spring Man didn't get in because he was an Assist Trophy. Again, if A|RMS had a Main Character and Assists Deconfirmed, then Ribbon Girl would've gotten in instead of Min Min.
The thing is usually Sakurai never address anything that is already in the game and even then if he want to he usually likes to come up with a fake excuses to not put down a specific fanbase and also to not have his statement be contradicted by himself and bite him in the arse. We already know that Sakurai has a big bias for specific things (looking at you, Fire Emblem).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Honestly i feel now the only thing that deconfirms are mii costumes. It really feels like sakurai thinks of them as substitutes of the fighter and would rather make new characters into fighters
And specifically PAID Mii costumes.
I will say I still think post base game spirits are a deathblow too (Resident Evil spirits) but I could be proven wrong.

In any case both of them would require a 3rd party to say "yes, we want our property to be added to the game in a minor promotional capacity and not as a piece of substantial DLC."

That leaves Rayman and Shantae on a bit of a knife edge but I still think the odds for them are good.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Guessing Mii costumes, I bet Llyod, KOSMOS, Nia, Octoling and a pokemon mii hat?
edit - Elma also.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Reality is often disappointing...

Not this time, though.
Expected the unexpected I'd say, if you already hear the same character being preach more than enough you gotta abort the ship:088:

Also I felt like if Famicom Detective Club being represented as a fighter their series would have to be fairly received and make a decent cash just like Ring Fit which might be more likely than Male Protag/Ayumi.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be fair he needed Hp if youre missing both Arms are in danger and need to save the world you probably would eat something (even if it could be drugged) to regrow them
I took mushrooms for lesser reasons, so yeah, understandable.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'd love Octolings ans honestly if they could make them a whole new character somehow I'd love them in FP2 but I think the Splatoon costumes means that if there was gonna be a Splatoon rep, it would have came with them.
I don’t think they’ll be in FP2, but I’ve actually been thinkling about a semi-clone/original moveset for them so Octoling can be the Isabelle to Inkling’s Villager (or perhaps even more original) in the next Smash game, assuming that ever happens. Maybe I’ll share it if I ever get down all the ideas.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don’t think they’ll be in FP2, but I’ve actually been thinkling about a semi-clone/original moveset for them so Octoling can be the Isabelle to Inkling’s Villager (or perhaps even more original) in the next Smash game, assuming that ever happens. Maybe I’ll share it if I ever get down all the ideas.
Octoling, Dixie Kong and Impa all should be added as semi clones in a next Fighter Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom