• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I found something interesting in regards to the waifus Pyra and Mythra's reveal. On the Smash website, it goes out of its way to state that the characters are from a Teen rated game on their page. It also says this in their reveal trailer as it shows the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 logo at the end.

However, it does not state this for Sephiroth or Joker (from a T and M rated game, respectively) in their reveal trailers or on their Smash page. Neither do Snake and Bayonetta on their pages.

Given the...cough...modifications to their attire, it's strange that there still is a need to clarify that they are from a Teen game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ryza was deconfirmed by the Ryza Devs, Dynasty Warriors would cause some likeness issues, Dead or Alive is Mai but everyone is Mai, and Hyrule Warriors was Deconfirmed by Nintendo themselves.
That could have been a possible red harring, hard to tell. And dead or alive has Kasumi amd Ayane, not mai.

Why is Shantae being brought up as a previously considered idea? There’s nothing that supports that.

Nothing really disconfirms her but like...that seems like a stretch given how indie’s have been treated this far.
Ignore the troll answers about bewbs. Shantae i feel has 2 things that may point at her beimg considered.

1st: her and Riskys spirits were listes as the very last spirits in the game.

2nd: she has a fighter icon for online play, and really is the only one otjer then rayman maybe that fits this, and is also listed as the last one i think.

These 2 things could point to that she was a late addition or consideration.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Ryza was deconfirmed by the Ryza Devs, Dynasty Warriors would cause some likeness issues, Dead or Alive is Mai but everyone is Mai, and Hyrule Warriors was Deconfirmed by Nintendo themselves.
What is this "likeness issue" you're referring to? I've never heard that, Oh you mean them being a historical figure get them blocked off? Now that is stupid and seems kinda an obvious downplaying just because there is no internal or external forces against having a Dynasty Warriors character other than public acknowledgement and Sakurai never really bother checking because it's public domain. C'mon, Dracula already break this.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I found something interesting in regards to the waifus Pyra and Mythra's reveal. On the Smash website, it goes out of its way to state that the characters are from a Teen rated game on their page. It also says this in their reveal trailer as it shows the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 logo at the end.

However, it does not state this for Sephiroth or Joker (from a T and M rated game, respectively) in their reveal trailers or on their Smash page. Neither do Snake and Bayonetta on their pages.

Given the...cough...modifications to their attire, it's strange that there still is a need to clarify that they are from a Teen game.
Most likely a change that the ESRB went through very recently because characters like Byleth and Sephiroth had a "E10+ - T" rating for their trailer because of their game of origin.

Now, instead of a higher-rated game affecting the entire trailer's rating, they just say the game has that higher rating.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about Spirits, Mythra and Pyra are the second and third character to get upgraded.

I think their Spirit board is going to contain a bunch of blades. Malos, Jin, Brighid, Dromarch, Pandoria and KOS-MOS. We'll probably get Vandam & Roc, Addam and Lora. There's a huge list of rare blades they could pull from!

I think KOS-MOS will be a Mii costume.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I think it was from Hobo Nichi interview. The company Shigesato Itoi made.
Sakurai is saying he wanted a female character to in but they couldn't find anyone, then the PR officer from Nintendo says that the girl from FDC was in consideration. Iwata asks, what was her specials? PR guy, "show a photo". LOL (everyone)
The interviewer is Yasuhiro Nagata from Hobo Nichi (former chief editor of Famitsu).
This is some super interesting stuff. I honestly never knew this. Given that the other four characters considered for Smash 64 got in later entries (:ultbowser:, :ultkingdedede:, :ultmewtwo:, and :ultmarth:), this would actually make Ayumi the oldest known cut character still not in Smash!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I have to say, the Second Chances theme of the pass makes me feel a bit more confident in an Undertale rep. I don't think one was ever actively planned, but the massive reaction to the Sans costume probably made them consider it.

Min Min and Pyra have me doubting Frisk, though. It would either be Papyrus or Toriel.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I analysed the patterns and have come to the conclusion that if the pass's trends of female character, games that got a bit of a raw deal in the base game and antagonists lead to anything, Shield Knight and/or the Enchantress will be added as the Shovel Knight rep.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Crossbow, other Splatoon 2 and 3 Weapons, Plenty of New Weapons not in Inkling's Moveset that would justify the Octolings.
They would still be mostly a semiclone like Falco or Ganondorf. I don't think that people would want to pay five bucks for a clone character.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
I analysed the patterns and have come to the conclusion that if the pass's trends of female character, games that got a bit of a raw deal in the base game and antagonists lead to anything, Shield Knight and/or the Enchantress will be added as the Shovel Knight rep.
I'm more thinking Specter Knight if anything. Considering you get to play as him in the DLC.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I'm assuming he's refering to the acrual historical figures and how they aren't video game characters despite public domain fictionalized versions of existing people already being in Smash
I can kind of argue they're so far apart from their actual, historical selves that they're basically video game incarnations of them and Dynasty Warriors is a series well known enough where this can work.

Besides if Dynasty Warriors ain't allowed for that reason then series like Fate shouldn't be allowed since Fate is in the same ordeal, even if it uses mythological and literature characters too. But IMO both are allowed since the characters in them are so exaggerated and flashy that it should be allowed. If it was the real Lu Bu, Cao Cao, Zhao Yun I'd agree but these are merely over the top versions of them used in an over the top video game series. If that makes sense.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm assuming he's refering to the acrual historical figures and how they aren't video game characters despite public domain fictionalized versions of existing people already being in Smash
yeah, it's a dumb road block, nobody even cared about learning the origin of their inspiration anyway.
But IMO both are allowed since the characters in them are so exaggerated and flashy that it should be allowed.
Yeah their difference is pretty obvious

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Crossbow, other Splatoon 2 and 3 Weapons, Plenty of New Weapons not in Inkling's Moveset that would justify the Octolings.
Octolings are a direct parallel and clone to Inkling for all intents and purposes in Splatoon, I think it’d be weird to suddenly deck them out with a moveset so much more unique than Inkling‘s when they’re the perfect Echo.
The potential posed by Splatoon’s newest entries is best used on a new character I think, like a potential new idol duo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have to say, the Second Chances theme of the pass makes me feel a bit more confident in an Undertale rep. I don't think one was ever actively planned, but the massive reaction to the Sans costume probably made them consider it.

Min Min and Pyra have me doubting Frisk, though. It would either be Papyrus or Toriel.
This is Mettaton erasure and I won’t stand for it

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can kind of argue they're so far apart from their actual, historical selves that they're basically video game incarnations of them and Dynasty Warriors is a series well known enough where this can work.

Besides if Dynasty Warriors ain't allowed for that reason then series like Fate shouldn't be allowed since Fate is in the same ordeal, even if it uses mythological and literature characters too. But IMO both are allowed since the characters in them are so exaggerated and flashy that it should be allowed. If it was the real Lu Bu, Cao Cao, Zhao Yun I'd agree but these are merely over the top versions of them used in an over the top video game series. If that makes sense.
Oh please that's not the most nonsensical answer people have to a Fate character lmao

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They would still be mostly a semiclone like Falco or Ganondorf. I don't think that people would want to pay five bucks for a clone character.
Roy, Lucas, Roy, Roy, Roy, Lucas, Roy, Roy, R O Y ! Also, the Bow is significantly bigger that both the Dualies and would likely be used very differently from a Splattershot.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Roy, Lucas, Roy, Roy, Roy, Lucas, Roy, Roy, R O Y ! Also, the Bow is significantly bigger that both the Dualies and would likely be used very differently from a Splattershot.
Lucas and Roy were both veterans and were retailed for a lower price.

Paraster

Smash Lord

If it's not Frisk, it's definitely Papyrus; he's effectively the co-mascot of the game alongside Sans (and he's much more mobile and less frail than Sans).

D

Deleted member

Sakurai simply feared some may have been too wary of the scantilly clad, sexual deviants and felt the need to assuage those fears before they could manifest by assuring us that they came from a 'T' for Teen rated game and thus were perfectly acceptable for Good Girls & Boys.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Lucas and Roy were both veterans and were retailed for a lower price.
They were retailed for a lower price cause they didn’t come pre-packaged with a stage, music, and trophies.

That being said, I don’t think Octolings will be in this pass. However, it is completely doable to make them into a unique fighter. Especially with how much the Inkling hasn’t covered in the Splatoon series. Chargers, Splatlings, Dualies, Brellas, Bow and Arrowcudas (yes that’s what I’m calling them till we get an official name), every other bomb type besides Splat Bomb. Plenty of stage and music potential, plus Spirits of a few major/side characters that were left out from Splatoon 2 or new characters from Splatoon 3.

Again, I don’t expect Octolings until next game or a hypothetical FP3. But there is more than enough to justify a unique moveset.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
A slight update about my shantae was considered theory. Rayman actually doesnt have an online icon. Shantae is the only 3rd party character who isnt tied to a fighter or AT who does have an online icon. That is curious, and makes me feel she was considered at some point as a playable

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They were retailed for a lower price cause they didn’t come pre-packaged with a stage, music, and trophies.

That being said, I don’t think Octolings will be in this pass. However, it is completely doable to make them into a unique fighter. Especially with how much the Inkling hasn’t covered in the Splatoon series. Chargers, Splatlings, Dualies, Brellas, Bow and Arrowcudas (yes that’s what I’m calling them till we get an official name), every other bomb type besides Splat Bomb. Plenty of stage and music potential, plus Spirits of a few major characters that were left out from Splatoon 2 or 3.

Again, I don’t expect Octolings until next game or a hypothetical FP3. But there is more than enough to justify a unique moveset.
My honest opinion on the Octoling's Chances depends entirely on if Splatoon 3 was planned for 2021 or not lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom