• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
They literally added 2 grown ass adults who are horny for a teenager mere hours ago. They do not care about potential issues with the games getting represented
Reminds me that Roy can marry his teacher, despite him being 15 and her age never being given but presumed to be prolly in her late 20's or mid 30's.

That's Japan alright lol

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
In Smash, characters are depicted the way they are in their home series and not how they are as guests in other series. They bring other stuff with them like stages and spirits. There are other violent series in smash. Fire Emblem is violent. Bayonetta is violent and gorey. But there are no series as synonymous with over the top gore and violence as Mortal Kombat is. Most people who don’t know the game recognize it as that series with all the crazy fatalities. It is not that MK characters cannot be depicted in a non violent way, it’s that Nintendo likely does not want to associate a series like this with Smash Bros.
It's convenient for Smash that it has a lot more fighting games that it'd rather represent before Mortal Kombat. Of course, try convincing anyone pre-DLC#4 that Terry Bogard was likelier to get in than Scorpion or Sub-Zero.

Pillow

Smash Lord
They literally added 2 grown ass adults who are horny for a teenager mere hours ago. They do not care about potential issues with the games getting represented
If you genuinely think that Mortal Kombat violence is comparable to bog standard creepy anime romance in a JRPG then I doubt anything say on this matter will change your mind.

I’ll just state that I believe that in extreme situations, the content of a character’s base game or franchise can hinder their chances of getting into Smash, and we can agree to disagree.

Reminds me that Roy can marry his teacher, despite him being 15 and her age never being given but presumed to be prolly in her late 20's or mid 30's.

That's Japan alright lol
Joker can also romance his teacher in Persona 5. This sort of thing is pretty common in Japanese games.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

That's Japan alright lol
We also have a boy on the roster who gained his psychic powers by being inappropriately touched by what looks like transgender fairies. He also gets high on psilocybin mushrooms later to release himself of the trauma that was losing his parents.

Mother 3 really needs to be localized. Typing this out was fun.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
We also have a boy on the roster who gained his psychic powers by being inappropriately touched by what looks like transgender fairies. He also gets high on psilocybin mushrooms later to release himself of the trauma that was losing his parents.

Mother 3 really needs to be localized. Typing this out was fun.
JRPGs are already really weird, so it's saying something that the Mother series manages to kick that up by a lot.

Shroob

Sup?
If you genuinely think that Mortal Kombat violence is comparable to bog standard creepy anime romance in a JRPG then I doubt anything say on this matter will change your mind.

I’ll just state that I believe that in extreme situations, the content of a character’s base game or franchise can hinder their chances of getting into Smash, and we can agree to disagree.

Joker can also romance his teacher in Persona 5. This sort of thing is pretty common in Japanese games.
Never played Persona 5 due to no PS4, but Kawakami is best girl.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo VS Twitter: "Find out about them soon!"

Amiibo theory: points to late March

Big hmmst.
Amiibo Theory is not that strict when it comes to release dates. I'm pretty sure we had characters presentation in the past that were precede the actual Amiibo release date by a couple of weeks. It was always something that pointed to a general timeframe more than anything

Besides, it's feasible for them to air the Sakurai presentation in the first week of March and then release Pyra/Mythra two weeks later like what they did with Steve.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Brb, working on H theory.
I mean, between Min Min (who has the LEGS meme), Steve's meat, shirtless Sephiroth and now this (with some people talking about possible swimsuit alts for Pyra and Mythra), Horny Theory is looking pretty credible rn.

"Every character needs something to get people thirsty."

:4pacman:

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
hmmmmm

What if they picked Pyra over Rex based on the loophole of us technically already having a Xenoblade protagonist and thus them being free to add someone else from 2 if they wanted to

Dunno, just spitballing

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, between Min Min (who has the LEGS meme) Steve's meat, shirtless Sephiroth and now this (with some people talking about possible swimsuit alts for Pyra and Mythra), Horny Theory is looking pretty credible rn.

Real men believe in the Etika Theory.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, between Min Min (who has the LEGS meme) Steve's meat, shirtless Sephiroth and now this (with some people talking about possible swimsuit alts for Pyra and Mythra), Horny Theory is looking pretty credible rn.

2B’s ass for smash confirmed

hmmmmm

What if they picked Pyra over Rex based on the loophole of us technically already having a Xenoblade protagonist and thus them being free to add someone else from 2 if they wanted to

Dunno, just spitballing
Why would Nintendo need a loophole to introduce a character to their own game? Fan rules are fine for trying to recognize patterns in regards to speculation but should never be looked at retroactively to justify a character’s inclusion. Pyra is in because Nintendo wanted someone from XC2 but did not want Rex for some reason or another, and that’s that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Why would Nintendo need a loophole to introduce a character to their own game? Fan rules are fine for trying to recognize patterns in regards to speculation but should never be looked at retroactively to justify a character’s inclusion. Pyra is in because Nintendo wanted someone from XC2 but did not want Rex for some reason or another, and that’s that.
Fair enuff. I'm dumb sometimes

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

They won't care about the gore because they never cared about it for other franchises involved, you're just saying "Nuh uh can't happen because I have the final say in this instead of the owners of the IP'. Nintendo has given funding to gorey games, Nintendo allows super gorey games on their systems. Nintendo takes characters from gorey games and let them fight Mario and Pikachu. They do not care about how it is perceived. We even an example of a Smash character having something super iconic involving blood only to simply remove it entirely. Neither Joker nor Bayonetta would ever get in Smash had your claim even been partially true

Reality is often disappointing...

Not this time, though.
It's funny, nothing changes here in my eyes. The Pokemon was cool, ARMS character was nest on paper but the implementation is godawful and the XB2 trash is still trash. Decidueye's the only one here people actually mourn over lmao

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I honestly think both Spring Man and Rex were passed over for gameplay related reasons.

Like Spring Man is a pretty basic and limited character, and his only real gimmick (outside of the stretchy arms which, you know, everyone in ARMS has lol) is a parry mechanic that prolly wouldn't add that much to Smash. Meanwhile Min Min's movepool is more diverse because of her kicks and she also has a cool dragon arm thing.

Likewise as people pointed out, they probably couldn't figure out on a sastifactory way on implementing Rex with the Driver/Blade mechanic as it originally was back in XB2, so they just decided to relegate him to a FS/taunt and just let the blades themselves be playable.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Like Spring Man is a pretty basic and limited character, and his only real gimmick (outside of the stretchy arms which, you know, everyone in ARMS has lol) is a parry mechanic that prolly wouldn't add that much to Smash. Meanwhile Min Min's movepool is more diverse because of her kicks and
Min Min as a whole is basic though.
You could easily replace her arms with his and her flip kicks with uppercuts and jabs and they would be exactly the same.

No reflection on the Usmash though.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You could easily replace her arms with his and her flip kicks with uppercuts and they would be exactly the same.
Well you see, if it wasn't Min Min then they wouldn't have given the character Ram Ram or a frame 7 anti air with intangibility, meaning they'd need to put more thought in to making the character unfun to play against

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You could easily replace her arms with his and her flip kicks with uppercuts and jabs and they would be exactly the same.

No reflection on the Usmash though.
I think that's kinda the point, though. Spring Man would more than likely just be "Punch Man", which we already got with Little Mac, just with stretchy arms instead of a bad air game. Min Min at least mixes it up a little with kicks and the dragon arm mechanic.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
And his doctor who used him for shady medical trials, and a drunken journalist, and a fortune teller who scammed him out of 100K Yen.

Ah Persona... never change. Actually wait, let us romance the dudes. That's the only change I'd want lol.

Pillow

Smash Lord
They won't care about the gore because they never cared about it for other franchises involved, you're just saying "Nuh uh can't happen because I have the final say in this instead of the owners of the IP'. Nintendo has given funding to gorey games, Nintendo allows super gorey games on their systems. Nintendo takes characters from gorey games and let them fight Mario and Pikachu. They do not care about how it is perceived. We even an example of a Smash character having something super iconic involving blood only to simply remove it entirely. Neither Joker nor Bayonetta would ever get in Smash had your claim even been partially true
No, that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that there’s violence, and there’s violence. I believe there is a fundamental difference between whatever graphic content any of the franchises currently represented in Smash have, and the violence in Mortal Kombat, the game people flock to to see a man rip out another man’s spine through his rectum. Smash as a series is heavily affiliated with the Nintendo brand. It’s not as simple as Nintendo has had violent or gorey games in the past. None of those games had Mario in them. If Mortal Kombat was a series with as much clout as say, Minecraft or Mario then I could see Nintendo overlooking the controversy surrounding the MK games, but it is not.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
In which case you can apply that to any fighting game. If we get a Mortal Kombat character, then let's use Kitana instead of Scorpion, Liu Kang, or Raiden.

The ARMS director simply wants to justify his reasoning for using Min Min, and even if what he says is true, you cannot deny that Spring Man has more attention than everyone else and should be considered the true protagonist.
Ah yes, for a First Party experiment, despite the fact that Ribbon Girl got just as much of a spotlight in the Marketing as Spring Man. If Assist Trophies unconfirmed, then Sakurai would've said flat out that Spring Man didn't get in because he was an Assist Trophy. Again, if A|RMS had a Main Character and Assists Deconfirmed, then Ribbon Girl would've gotten in instead of Min Min.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No, that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that there’s violence, and there’s violence. I believe there is a fundamental difference between whatever graphic content any of the franchises currently represented in Smash have, and the violence in Mortal Kombat, the game people flock to to see a man rip out another man’s spine through his rectum. Smash as a series is heavily affiliated with the Nintendo brand. It’s not as simple as Nintendo has had violent or gorey games in the past. None of those games had Mario in them. If Mortal Kombat was a series with as much clout as say, Minecraft or Mario then I could see Nintendo overlooking the controversy surrounding the MK games, but it is not.
There's no controversy and there hasn't been since the 90's because they made an age rsting system which video games should have gotten anyway. Mortal Kombat's crossed over with characters little Timmy likes watching on TV, we even had this!

It's so dumb that people have to pretend this is the exception and that toning down doesn't count when there are other good reasons MK isn't happening lmao

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Mortal Kombat has been toned down reasonably in the Past, didn't stop several international Bans on the IP. Like, last I checked, Germany bans the Entire Mortal Kombat Series. alongside CERO's Japanese Console Ban on every MK after 9.

Pillow

Smash Lord
There's no controversy and there hasn't been since the 90's because they made an age rsting system which video games should have gotten anyway. Mortal Kombat's crossed over with characters little Timmy likes watching on TV, we even had this!

It's so dumb that people have to pretend this is the exception and that toning down doesn't count when there are other good reasons MK isn't happening lmao
I respect your opinion that MK is not a controversial game and it would have a chance for Smash inclusion if not for other factors outside of the violence that are holding it back. :070:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Who even wants Scorpion when Sol Badguy is right there and he has a super move that's called "Dragon Install" which transforms him into a buff demon man with giant fire explosions
Nah man you left out the part where he hits people with a big ass lighter
Mortal Kombat has been toned down reasonably in the Past, didn't stop several international Bans on the IP. Like, last I checked, Germany bans the Entire Mortal Kombat Series. alongside CERO's Japanese Console Ban on every MK after 9.
Then you haven't checked hard enough as MK11 can be bought in Germany just fine and CERO didn't ban it, WB chose not to localize it, unless you want to claim that the ESRB and PEGI banned Mother 3 of course
As a beta male I feel threatened by Sol’s massive pectorals and chiseled jawline. That’s why I prefer May instead. :072:
Imagine feeling threatened by a buff dude but not a 22 year old child wielding a large ass anchor as if it was nothing

Faso115

Smash Lord
Now we have to find the one character that will upstage Bandana Dee just like how his pals Springman, Decidueye and Rex got sidelines. Unfortunately Sakurai doesn't like modern kirby /s

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now we have to find the one character that will upstage Bandana Dee just like how his pals Springman, Decidueye and Rex got sidelines. Unfortunately Sakurai doesn't like modern kirby /s
Adeline & Ribbon? Susie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom