• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
And well, wanna know a series that both Nintendo and the Smash team would love to help grow, because it's only now starting to become mainstream outside of Japan? The odds are currently very stacked in favor of Monster Hunter, methinks.
Yeah, but I guess there's a slight difference in wanting to grow your own IP's versus a third party IP. No doubt MonHin is big for Nintendo and totally deserving of a fighter in Smash and co-operation with Capcom seems to be on the roll etc, but I think that for Nintendo it's more relevant to solidify the presence of their own IP's.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I wonder if Rex being passed over for FP2 really had to do with the Mii costume itself or him being coonected to FP1 and thus its price tag. While I get many fans probably wouldn't care about Rex being included in FP2 after a 75 cent costume in FP1, I dunno, maybe Sakurai/Nintendo feel differently.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I said it earlier and I'll say it again...

this ****ing guy.

We all know that Sakurai passed on Rex twice because he couldn't find a way to have this horrible design work a way or another.
I love Xeno 2
But Rex is a ****ing mistake from all possible points.

AND I SAY THAT AS SOMEONE WHO LIKE A NOMURA CHARACTER.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Also, what is the Status of the Rex Mii Costume? I know that it came free with buying the first fighters pass. But is it possible to buy it without buying the pass? Since if it's not. I can easily see them releasing the costume on its own in the "Sakurai Presents"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Also, what is the Status of the Rex Mii Costume. I know that it came free with buying the first fighters pass. But is it possible to buy it without buying the pass? Since if it's not. I can easily see them releasing the costume on its own in the "Sakurai Presents"
Only way to get it is the pass, same with the Ancient Armour costume

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Only way to get it is the pass, same with the Ancient Armour costume
I know. I have the pass. But I'm wondering for those that DIDN'T Buy the pass. Is the Rex Costume availible but they'd have to buy it, or is it available only through the pass?

Shroob

Sup?
I said it earlier and I'll say it again...

this ****ing guy.

Saitom has a pretty bad habit of sameface syndrome I admit, but as someone in the deep end of that pool, they're legions better than a lot of other artists like them.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know

List of spirits (Xenoblade Chronicles series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

Both Pyra and Mythra were both 4 star Spirits, while Rex was only 3. This may suggest they were given priority over other characters. I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to not Include Rex was made before the game even came out, hence the Mii Costume. Perhaps Sakurai and the team figured that Rex with Pyra and Mythra wouldn't have flowed as well very early on

Edit: This also isn't exclusive to Xenoblade. None of the ARMS Characters were 4 stars, but Min Min was the highest along with Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, but unlike those she didn't have Costume or Assist

Last edited:

SWSU

Smash Apprentice
Again, it's the only way. You can't get the Rex costume seperate from the pass as it's not sold seperately
Alright. Then I'm going to guess The Rex Mii Costume is going to be made available to purchase for everyone during the next Mii Costume Reveal. With how Prominent it was in the Trailer it just makes sense imo.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sakurai never went over why Spring Man was passed over either though, even saying that someone else was considered. It's clearly the AT and costume that made him change his mind if you ask me
Maybe, but I still don’t understand why the mii costume would make them decide “nah” especially before they had another chance and more time to make them playable, and he did explain Spring Man and protagonist stuff or whatever at least (but yeah no real reason for why not Spring Man).

I’ll admit maybe that is what they think, but it still feels pretty stupid especially given Bomberman getting a little bit of a promotion, contradicting the reasoning people here have had in the past about them maybe not wanting to confuse players.

I can think maybe it’s because of characters already being represented so they wanna go for someone else, but spirits already do that to an extent as well, and that’s also pretty bad reasoning when it comes to a lot of miis since most of their moves don’t capture the character well, they don’t have the character’s personality, and sometimes don’t even capture the character’s appearance correctly unless they’re like Sans or Black Knight covering up the mii; and if the mii was from before they started more plans and finished them, then they got another chance for that character if they didn’t change their minds to use another character.

Of course like I said I don’t really see these promotions as likely anyway, but I guess I just see them as possibilities still given what I’ve said and I’m kinda hoping we could get Tails or Skull Kid if they actually do happen...

I guess I can also understand the price tag reasoning though. Which still sucks for Tails, but hopefully that means basegame stuff including ATs is still possible instead of shut off completely...at the end of the day of course I guess it doesn’t matter, and tbh I’d still be happy anyway with Steve and B-K and the other cool characters; I guess I should just sit back and not worry about it, already got my most-wanteds, any other wants can wait.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
"Help grow" a series with a game that has 17 million copies sold?
I mean, why not? As I said, it's fairly recent that it's become a mainstream series. Why not use Smash to bolster that further?

Oh yeah, with full-blown Directs seemingly back, wonder if partner showcases have been retired in favor of just, well, regular Directs.
I hope so. Or even a mix of the two. I enjoy the partner showcases more than most, but I still vastly prefer Directs.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Didn't Sakurai bring up some older manga with a character named Spring man and how he didn't want any confusion between the Arms character and the manga?

I don't know how serious that comment was or if I'm remembering it incorrectly, but that was a thing too I think.

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't Sakurai bring up some older manga with a character named Spring man and how he didn't want any confusion between the Arms character and the manga?

I don't know how serious that comment was or if I'm remembering it incorrectly, but that was a thing too I think.
That manga's Kinnikuman, an old shonen jump series(Think Naruto, DBZ), from the 70's and 80's. It's a wrestling manga.

I'm like, 99% sure that was just Sakurai goofing around, since the character in question was just a one-off villain, and was more likely just him making a "Haha remember this old thing?" joke.

ZelDan

Smash Master
That manga's Kinnikuman, an old shonen jump series(Think Naruto, DBZ), from the 70's and 80's. It's a wrestling manga.

I'm like, 99% sure that was just Sakurai goofing around, since the character in question was just a one-off villain, and was more likely just him making a "Haha remember this old thing?" joke.
Eh you're probably right.

figured I'd bring it up just in case I forgot some part of the direct that maybe implied it was a more serious thing.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

That was a really weird statement tbh. I wonder if it was meant to be a joke? Seems odd to me that he'd count a character out because of something as obscure (outside of Japan, at least) as Kinnikuman, but Ryu from Street Fighter is fine despite the existence of Ryu Hayabusa.

Wellp, Shroob :ultgreninja:'d me but I think I'll still post this any way. Glad we reached a consensus that it seemed to be a joke

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why Rex was passed on was due to business reasons mainly putting the Rex Mii costume behind a pay wall, where the only way you can get it is buy fighters pass 1. Making Rex a fighter would remove an incentive to buy it, this is probably why the Mii fighter costume if you bought FP2 was just a suit of armor from BOTW rather then a real character, so they wouldn't put themselves in that corner again.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Random odd thing: This appears on the fighter page for Pyra/Mythra on the Smash website.
Pythra.png

What's notable is that it's the only instance where the ESRB rating is listed for the DLC characters. The other characters simply state what game they appear in. The notable exceptions to this is Joker and Banjo, who don't have this kind of information at all.

It's curious because Three Houses, FF7 and DQ XI are all also rated T, yet have no disclaimer.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Random odd thing: This appears on the fighter page for Pyra/Mythra on the Smash website.
View attachment 303826

What's notable is that it's the only instance where the ESRB rating is listed for the DLC characters. The other characters simply state what game they appear in. The notable exceptions to this is Joker and Banjo, who don't have this kind of information at all.

It's curious because Three Houses and DQ XI are both also rated T, yet have no disclaimer.
Wonder if this is more weird **** with the ESRB?

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Also of note, is that Sakurai's humor tends to come off as too serious/awkward. It probably doesn't come off that way in Japanese, it's just Japanese peeps having a very different sense of humor from the west in conjunction with Japanese often translating to English poorly when it comes to jokes.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also of note, is that Sakurai's humor tends to come off as too serious/awkward. It probably doesn't come off that way in Japanese, it's just Japanese peeps having a very different sense of humor from the west in conjunction with Japanese often translating to English poorly when it comes to jokes.
We have Sakurai's style of humour in English too, it's called being deadpan

Mapusaurus

Smash Apprentice
I still hate how people call the sephiroth/steve leak, the chun leak despite the fact that it clearly said she was passed up for ken in the same way aluvard was, what's interesting is it also metions a tales character of which nothing has come up yet. This leaves me to belive there are two possible ends to the pass, lloyd/yuri and 1st party or lloyd/yura and hayubusa giving us a smash level undewhelming end to the dlc.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
We have Sakurai's style of humour in English too, it's called being deadpan
Which yeah, that's something that would come across as overly serious and/or awkward when a verbal translator is involved. It reminds me of how people got the impression that Sakurai hated working on Steve when he was clearly joking.

Shroob

Sup?
I still hate how people call the sephiroth/steve leak, the chun leak despite the fact that it clearly said she was passed up for ken in the same way aluvard was, what's interesting is it also metions a tales character of which nothing has come up yet. This leaves me to belive there are two possible ends to the pass, lloyd/yuri and 1st party or lloyd/yura and hayubusa giving us a smash level undewhelming end to the dlc.
It's just a catchy name, that's all really.

Truth be told, it'll probably die as soon as we see the Mii costumes with P/M and Lloyd appears, if he appears.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I know we're joking here, but suddenly I'm reminded of "M theory"

god damnt
Nah don't worry, we have even more ammo against that bull**** now. Dumbasses will say "You see, Master Chief's games are far too gorey so he can't be in Smash" or whatever meanwhile last night they announced grown ass adults who are openly horny for a teenager with said teenager popping in for taunts and ****

Shroob

Sup?
Nah don't worry, we have even more ammo against that bull** now. Dumbasses will say "You see, Master Chief's games are far too gorey so he can't be in Smash" or whatever meanwhile last night they announced grown ass adults who are openly horny for a teenager with said teenager popping in for taunts and **
No, M theory was that a character in this pass was a lock to be from an M rated game for some reason or another.

I don't remember the details of this theory at all but I do remember the basis was "At least 1 M rated character".

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Which yeah, that's something that would come across as overly serious and/or awkward when a verbal translator is involved. It reminds me of how people got the impression that Sakurai hated working on Steve when he was clearly joking.
Oh no that's just people who can't stand that children got a character for them, Sakurai loves Minecraft lmao
That would be the point where I give up. I can use moveset potential as a reason why Sakurai would want to look at Min Min and solo Pyra, but Felix has NOTHING Isaac couldn't do.
Would people really care? I know people were sad for Chrom, but Isaac isn't exactly a fleshed out character, ironically, Felix is more interesting from a writing perspective too but it's not like Isaac's personality was why people want him in Smash
No, M theory was that a character in this pass was a lock to be from an M rated game for some reason or another.

I don't remember the details of this theory at all but I do remember the basis was "At least 1 M rated character".
Oh I thought it meant that it couldn't be an an M rated character, my bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom