• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That's true, but to me just having a game on Nintendo doesn't really make a character Nintendo affiliated, it's more about the character's personal history on Nintendo systems. Like if they wanted a Final Fantasy character with Nintendo ties, Cloud certainly wasn't it over someone like Terra. Even if P5 comes to switch eventually, I'll still associate the game with Playstation more than Nintendo. On the opposite end, I still view Banjo as a heavily Nintendo affiliated character despite his current station.

But as stated previously, the title of "Nintendo affiliated" is ultimately kind of meaningless at this point anyway.

But I'm already bored of Pyra. I need another reveal, like, now. I think Pokemon Day is a perfectly reasonable time to reveal the next Smash character!
True, but like Sakurai said, Cloud is far and apart the most popular Final Fantasy character, so I think picking someone else just for being Nintendo affiliated would be an unfair bias since such a thing is ultimately unimportant. Don't get me wrong, Terra Branford is my favorite FF character, but Cloud Strife was the best choice as a series rep..same with Joker for an Atlus rep since Persona, and Persona 5 in particular, is the most well known IP Atlus has worldwide.

I'm still on cloud 9 over Pyra..her solo was the pipe dream I never thought would happen but always wanted lol

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
drop like, ****ing day 1 of March.
I don't think this will happen, but for the love of God, don't make us wait all month for their presentation like we had to with ARMS.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
More first party reps are fine, I don't think we shouldn't have more. I just think we're at the limit of the type of balance they would bring for each individual series (which is entirely subjective). At the current time, I'd rather see better Stage & Assist Trophy representation.

A lot of series are missing out on having stages that better represent newer titles, many 3rd Parties outright not having Assist Trophies, and how the heck have we not had one of the DKC Animal Buddies as an Assist Trophy?! Also give Wario his butt stomp and a Shake It earthquake punch smash attack.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
That depends on if Directs are finally back for good, and not just an annual thing.

Seems like 00's gamers haven't really gotten the best end of the stick, first or third-party. Just look at how few of Smash's fighters come from the GBA or DS.
Isaac or Andy would’ve been cool. Sucks that they didn’t get added in Brawl.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I wanted Rex, but mainly because I figured he’d use Pyra/Mythra as part of his move set.

I’m super happy with this reveal. XC2 is one of my favorite games on the Switch.
Same here..I only wanted Rex & Pyra due to getting Pyra in the game in some fashion, kinda like how I kinda get to play as the Female Pokémon Trainer but not really..I wanted Pyra solo, but I never expected it to actually happen, so I'm over the moon. Had I thought it was likely, Pyra solo would have been my #1 most wanted lol

Pillow

Smash Lord
True, but like Sakurai said, Cloud is far and apart the most popular Final Fantasy character, so I think picking someone else just for being Nintendo affiliated would be an unfair bias since such a thing is ultimately unimportant. Don't get me wrong, Terra Branford is my favorite FF character, but Cloud Strife was the best choice as a series rep..same with Joker for an Atlus rep since Persona, and Persona 5 in particular, is the most well known IP Atlus has worldwide.

I'm still on cloud 9 over Pyra..her solo was the pipe dream I never thought would happen but always wanted lol
Yeah but my argument was that if Smash was intended to be Nintendo-centric, as some people want it to be, then Cloud and Joker actually wouldn't be the best choices to represent their franchises. In the current form of the Smash roster they most definitely are though.

And congrats on the solo Pyra. I also vastly prefer her solo over being paired with Rex (dear god his english voice acting is so painful to listen to). I'm hoping that if I congratulate enough Pyra fans, then the good karma will come back to me in the form of Phoenix Wright being playable in Smash.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
I've never been a waifu guy, but Pyra/Mythra is as close as I guess I'll get to that. I'm so pumped for their inclusion. I recently ranked all of my favorite fictional characters ever created and they nabbed the number 9 spot and were my highest ranking females. (If I had to chose one, I'd probably side with Mythra. But that's the great thing: their a 2-for-1! Well technically....nevermind. I won't spoil this 3 year old game for you that haven't played it.) I'm bummed they can't keep Mythra's original design, but I understand why they can't. 🤤

I hope that their gameplay follows how they work in their game, with their special moves being assigned to the lettered buttons and the B-special being able to build with successful standard attacks. That would be so satisfying and amazing. It would work perfectly too because each blade has 4 special moves, which lines up perfectly with the 4 directional variations of Smash characters' B-specials. However, this only works if switching between them is done using a B-R combo (like Inkling does to refill ink).

Overall, I'm hyped. Pyra/Mythra, Banjo and Kazooie, Steve, and the two I never knew I wanted - Terry and Sephiroth - made for solid DLC. I feel like this second pass has been more...predictable in who was chosen. I think we can bank on Rayman or Crash, which would be legendary, and someone like Ryu Hayabusa to finish up the pass. Overall, good stuff. I'm happy.

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
Honestly at this point I can't for the life of me figure out who Nintendo would pick for the final two fighters.

My two remaining MWs are Phoenix Wright and Shantae.

Though I highly doubt either of them have a chance over safer picks like Dante or a Pokemon.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... it seems that the Nintendo DLC characters are from Switch games but they were too late to make it in the base game.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - Byleth
Arms - Min Min
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Pyra / Mythra

Hmm... any Switch games released between 2017 and 2019?

Maybe a Pokémon newcomer... but from which game? Pokemon Let’s Go or Pokémon Sword / Shield? I am hoping for Team Rocket with Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing... but knowing Sakurai, it probably would be Team Rocket without Meowth, or Eevee, or a Gen 8 Pokémon.

Maybe a Kirby newcomer from Kirby Star Allies... maybe Bandana Waddle Dee, or Marx, or Dream Friends (Rick, Kine, and Coo).

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Ok, a little off topic but last night I was drunk and thought of an entire moveset for Whispy Woods if he became playable.

I've been wanting to make a video series on making movesets for characters who most likely would never be playable in Smash rather than just the popular choices. I already have plans for not just Whispy Woods but also The Imposter, Sora and Red from Angry Birds. Would any of you guys be interested in something like that?

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Pyra and Mythra is admittedly a somewhat strange choice. Given the fact Rex is by far the more obvious for the slot. He was given the bonus costume after all.

Combine that with the fact XBC2 has been out for a while, and it doesn’t fit the promotion pick status either. Min Min at least had the ARMS free weekend.

Still, I kinda like it a little weird. It shows Pyra and Mythra got in on their own merits. As they weren’t the hot new character from the hot new game. They were simply made to be a fun inclusion from a good game.

I kinda miss that with Smash. A lot of the Smash reveals either feel like a massive moment in gaming history, or Nintendo simply screaming “BUY OUR GAME!” without a hint of subtlety. Not to trash any other characters, I still rightly enjoyed them.

Its just nice to have a fun pick. Something you can simply explain with “cause its fun.”

Sorry for the long post. Just kinda let my mind wander here.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Melee and Brawl were early enough in the series that the focus mostly went to fleshing out the perennial cast of the big franchises, which didn't leave much room for taking from the smaller successful series of the day, unfortunately.

Had Golden Sun 1&2 happened later to the same success, it seems very unlikely the roster wouldn't have reflected that. Series like that just reached prominence when first-party competition was at its thickest, and failed to maintain prominence thereafter. There were a lot of interesting, smaller series back then, and few remain reflected in Smash to any notable degree.

But it is pretty unfair that a series successful enough to be included when compared to other similar additions fails to get a single character when some others stack on the reps. Unfair, but business is business.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Damn, this guy got 3 of the fighters pass 2 characters right.

And considering Ryu is highly speculated character, he'll probably have one more predicted soon.
He knew we'd get another FFVII character since its content was lacking enough for a challenger pack. That counts for something to me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So... it seems that the Nintendo DLC characters are from Switch games but they were too late to make it in the base game.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - Byleth
Arms - Min Min
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Pyra / Mythra

Maybe a Pokémon newcomer... but from which game? Pokemon Let’s Go or Pokémon Sword / Shield? I am hoping for Team Rocket with Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing... but knowing Sakurai, it probably would be Team Rocket without Meowth, or Eevee, or a Gen 8 Pokémon.

Maybe a Kirby newcomer from Kirby Star Allies... maybe Bandana Waddle Dee, or Marx, or Dream Friends (Rick, Kine, and Coo).
There is no way Three Houses was planned for the base roster at all, this meme needs to stop

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But it is pretty unfair that a series successful enough to be included when compared to other similar additions fails to get a single character when some others stack on the reps. Unfair, but business is business.
You're telling me...

More first party reps are fine, I don't think we shouldn't have more. I just think we're at the limit of the type of balance they would bring for each individual series (which is entirely subjective). At the current time, I'd rather see better Stage & Assist Trophy representation.
Not sure if you're factoring it in or not, but there are plenty of Nintendo series that, as N3ON just said, have enough to justify a character of their own and have yet to get that proper love themselves.

I would be fine if we were done adding onto Nintendo IPs that already have characters and focused more on sufficient updates to those characters / nonplayable content (even though there are still plenty of characters I want), but in exchange for that I'd really like to see Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun, Panel de Pon, Advance Wars, yadda yadda yadda get some well deserved and quite frankly overdue love on the roster.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pyra and Mythra is admittedly a somewhat strange choice. Given the fact Rex is by far the more obvious for the slot. He was given the bonus costume after all.

Combine that with the fact XBC2 has been out for a while, and it doesn’t fit the promotion pick status either. Min Min at least had the ARMS free weekend.

Still, I kinda like it a little weird. It shows Pyra and Mythra got in on their own merits. As they weren’t the hot new character from the hot new game. They were simply made to be a fun inclusion from a good game.

I kinda miss that with Smash. A lot of the Smash reveals either feel like a massive moment in gaming history, or Nintendo simply screaming “BUY OUR GAME!” without a hint of subtlety. Not to trash any other characters, I still rightly enjoyed them.

Its just nice to have a fun pick. Something you can simply explain with “cause its fun.”

Sorry for the long post. Just kinda let my mind wander here.
Nintendo is still selling Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

If Min Min counts as a promotional character, Pyra absolutely does too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You're telling me...

This I have no idea why is absent. It's remained sufficiently prominent across multiple, more recent Smash games, and only now in the Switch era has subsided to probable dormancy.

I think it's probably owing to the reason Chorus Men were cut in the first place, which was maybe a question of feasibility or enjoyment. Something atypical.
You make it sound like Steve was a long time ago.

It's been 4 months.
This reminds me of back in the old days when we'd get characters like Sephiroth.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It's kinda nuts it's only been 4 months and we've gotten 2 characters, possibly a 3rd(HOPEFULLY) early on next.
I still hold the belief that Steve was meant to be an E3 reveal, but got delayed. It just makes too much sense.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Let's pause and think for a moment.

Today, we have officially decided that with Pyra & Mythra's inclusion, DLC Mii Fighter outfits are off the table.

However, I would like to point out that the franchises for DLC Mii Fighter outfits are still very much eligible for DLC.

This is how Eggman can still win.
Things are looking grim for Lloyd, but I could definitely still see Monster Hunter showing up as a character alongside the hunter costumes.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Nintendo is still selling Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

If Min Min counts as a promotional character, Pyra absolutely does too.
At least Min Min had something ARMS related happening. Pyra happened after XBC2 was marketed and got an entire DLC campaign.
Min Mins reveal made me think the negotiations went something like Nintendo wanting to push ARMS just a little further, and getting Sakurai along with it.

Pyra and Mythras reveal makes me see this as more of a Sakurai pick, like he was the one who suggested it and Nintendo went “sure it’ll sell more copies.”

Pyra and Mythra were likely helped quite a bit by them having a game out. But their inclusion still strikes me as the simple idea of having fun.

Thats just my thoughts though. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
1613629276772.png

• Sold well
  • Came out at the right time
  • Fun characters
  • Unique Aesthetic
  • Banging Soundtrack
  • Boundless moveset potential
Spirit event

Why is it that the 2 first party characters that got in the ones I didn't love?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
So, ARMS gets Min Min when Spring Man is an AT.
XC2 gets Pyra/Mythra (alone) when Rex is a Mii costume.
...not sure how to go about potential AT/Mii costume upgrades within the same game. Though I don't think many expect that anyway.

Anyway, I really like Pyra's/Mythra's inclusion. Xenoblade definitely deserved another character and it's cool that Sakurai was able to revisit the idea of someone from XC2 since it didn't make it in time for base game. It's the game that really put the series on the map. Eager to learn more about how they play like.

As for other potential first parties, I feel it's important to think what new content they could bring. XC2 had spirits and songs, but only a handful of them, and ARMS was totally lacking in the music department. That's why I think something like Pokemon (Gen 8 stuff missing) or some other IP with a new game coming out (Zelda?) from which content can be pulled from. Might have missed some other ones ofc.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
At least Min Min had something ARMS related happening. Pyra happened after XBC2 was marketed and got an entire DLC campaign.
Min Mins reveal made me think the negotiations went something like Nintendo wanting to push ARMS just a little further, and getting Sakurai along with it.

Pyra and Mythras reveal makes me see this as more of a Sakurai pick, like he was the one who suggested it and Nintendo went “sure it’ll sell more copies.”

Pyra and Mythra were likely helped quite a bit by them having a game out. But their inclusion still strikes me as the simple idea of having fun.

Thats just my thoughts though. Feel free to disagree.
It just seems like you're projecting your own thoughts onto the dev team.

If anything Sakurai wanted both games in, like he said in his interview.

Pillow

Smash Lord
That only happened today? Yikes, don't tell the Geno fans.
Geno Fans

View attachment 303807

• Sold well
  • Came out at the right time
  • Fun characters
  • Unique Aesthetic
  • Banging Soundtrack
  • Boundless moveset potential
Spirit event

Why is it that the 2 first party characters that got in the ones I didn't love?
I'm not quite sure Summer 2019 should be considered "the right time" all thing's considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom