• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know, as nice as it is to have entirely new franchises represented, I'm glad I don't have yet another game I'm never gonna actually play to add to my ever expanding backlog. Back in the Wii U days I was super close to having played at least one game from every series with a fighter but ever since DLC for that game the gap has become insurmountable. I've even played both Xenoblade games so that's a plus!

KillerCage

Smash Master
So right now I firmly believe in the theory that the fighters in this pass are leftovers from the base game. The question is, who else fits this theory? I can't think of any other character who was rumored to be worked on during the base roster or had content confirmed to be scrapped for whatever reason.
Gordan Freeman?
I mean Value was in discussions with Nintendo about creating a Half-Life for Switch.
Maybe Smash was on the table then?

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I doubt it because there wouldn't be any indication on which character you are since Pyra and Mythra now look exactly the same because they are the same now.

I swear if they use this as the reasoning for adding the Lloyd Mii Costume now...
Yeah that is a super valid point, They do have different idle and attack animations but it would be very annoying for reads and things of that ilk.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I see you guys are formalizing a new pattern that there's no chance you'll end up having to reconcile a conflicting future addition with.

Godspeed, you crazy ********.
That's how the speculation mafia works. Create new theory, have it broken, try to tape it back together. Our entire boat is made of tape now; What's left to lose? :4pacman:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So I'm a bit late but my general thoughts on Pyra/Mythra: I'm pretty happy, as a huge Xenoblade 2 fans, I'm happy that the game will finally have more content in Smash. I'm actually not a big fan of Rex, so I don't really care that he's not in (although part of me would have like Lora and Jin to still have a representation of the driver + blade combo, but I get it why they choose Pyra and Mythra over them). The stage looks gorgeous, and I'm excited to see the music selection. Hopefully there's more remixes this time, because base game Xenoblade music only have the medley as remix (and it's not that great). I wish they could add Xenoblade X music too so the whole Xenoblade franchise have better representation, but I doubt they would do it.

As for the future of the pass, well I'm not too sure, but there's one thing I noticed. Arms and Xenoblade already have content in the game (with Spring man as an assist and ribbon girl as a Mii for Arms and Rex as a Mii for Xenoblade). Now I do wonder if the reason that they went with Min min and Pyra/Mythra is because Sakurai don't want to do promotion when the character is a Mii or an Assist, but spirits would be correct because they're less important in the games. This nwould obviously hurt Waluigi or Isaac among others. Then again, it's possible that there's other reason why Spring man and Rex wasn't choose (maybe Min min was choose because the director of Arms wated her and Rex wasn't chosen because the driver and blade combo was too difficult to create a viable moveset (I do wonder if that's the case how that would hypotetically affect Astral chain protagonist chances in the future)).

Also with Xenoblade 2 content also being consider for the base game, this strenghten the theory that fighter pass 2 is mainly content that might have been cut or considered but scrapped. This could lead to Tales of characters if the leak is true and also Chorus kids if we count cut content from Smash 4.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think that Crash might also be too expensive to license.
If Sephiroth and Steve were not too expensive for Nintendo I have a hard time believing Crash Bandicoot is.

Okay here me out here about the alts !crack theory ahead!

BIG XENOBLADE CHRONICLES 2 SPOILERS
Maybe they are holding off on showing the alts because while 6 of them are normal recolors maybe a swimsuit or cloak here and there, the last 2 costumes are Pneuma and instead of the model switching it's just a stance change.

Non spoiler: Wacky costumes
Is...is a Pyra swimsuit costume even allowed? :124:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been mulling things over. I think Ultimate's newcomers, both DLC and base game, have objectively made a pretty good lineup overall...but the only ones that have been legitimately exciting to me personally have been Inkling, Incineroar, and sort of Steve. I know this sounds selfish, but I'd really like at least one more that I'd be excited for because they're cool to me, not just because I recognize what they contribute.

Does anyone else feel this way? Disappointed on a personal level, but happy on the general public's behalf?
For what it's worth, I was more hyped overall for the base game additions than the DLC. DLC has had my favourite characters of the lot, but there have been a lot of valleys with the peaks.

Base had a lot of what us old timers were first drawn to with Smash: popular Nintendo characters, and third-parties that had a lot to do with Nintendo. Not gonna make proclamations that what we've received since is bad, because I don't think it is, but it's been a very inconsistent and polarizing offering for me personally, whereas base was more steady.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Has that ever been done before though
Could've sworn Sephiroth and Steves alts were available on the website from the start.
They were. It was how we found out about Shirtless Sephiroth early on.

Now in the case for Pyra and Mythra, it may not be a special costume, as someone said that Terry had the same thing happen to him(although in Terry's case, his colors most likely weren't done yet since Sakurai mentioned he had recently been started on at the time of his reveal). Now Pyra and Mythra do have costumes in their own game that could be used for Smash, as well as a certain spoiler, but it's far from confirmed. For all we know, they could all just be colors, although there could be some notable colors.

It was just noticeable that for some reason, Pyra and Mythra's costumes aren't able to be switched compared to Steve and Sephiroth when they were first revealed. Heck, if you look at all of Pyra and Mythra's photos on their Fighter Page on the site, none of them have Pyra or Mythra in an alternate costume, which is definitely strange as all of the characters beforehand had at least one photo of them in an alternate costume.

Like it could be just nothing and the reason is that all the photos to showcase both Pyra and Mythra were just focusing on them individually compared to using an Alternate costume. It's just strange that there are no pictures of them with an alternate costume and we're unable to see their other costumes on the site compared to Steve and Sephiroth when they were first revealed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah that is a super valid point, They do have different idle and attack animations but it would be very annoying for reads and things of that ilk.
I'm sure they'll use that color scheme though, even if Pyra has to use the Sky Blue alt instead of being a direct reference to the true form.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Thoughts:
  • Xenoblade has been due another character for a while now so I can't say it's not unwarranted or unexpected. I understand the fatigue with anime sword fighters, but considering what they're doing with this character(s), are from an underrepresented series, and that they're more female representation my sympathy only goes so far.
  • Rex is the new Chrom.
  • I really hope that the obvious new Legendary Spirit we get will be a Primary Spirit with three slots so it can fit both the Pyra/Mythra support spirits and make things extra extra meta. :evil:
  • This probably means we'll be getting Amiibo figures for each of them; and am guessing they will become quickly expensive.
  • I wonder if we'll finally get Xenoblade X music?
  • The new stage seems interesting. Could potentially be a legal stage at first glance depending on blastlines.
  • Xenoblade is the last currently represented 1st Party that needed another rep IMO.
  • The trailer itself was rather underwhelming. Needed more gameplay footage.
  • A KOS-MOS Mii Fighter seems like a good bet at this point, though I'd be more curious to see if they base some of Pyra/Mythra's alt colors on her.

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Hot take; the motion controls made it one of my favorite entries in the franchise. Might be spawning from last playing it in my teen years, but it actually felt like I was Link.
I didn't mind the motion controls, since I didn't struggle with them, I just didn't like having to swap out batteries so much while playing that game lol.

It was news to me that people had trouble with it.

Still, now people won't have an excuse to ***** about the motion controls when joystick is an option. Maybe more people will give it a go now.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I feel like they'll do both so that they don't have to think of 16ish complimentary color schemes to make the two characters.
It wasn't too hard for me to think of complimentary ones lol
But yeah, they'll probably use both of the alt colours from Xenoblade Chronicles too, and then the rest of them will be original, likely based on other Xenoblade characters, probably mostly XBC2 like Morag & Brighid.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
So as long as we're on the topic what is everyone's thoughts on the DLC fighters so far?

For me...
:ultpiranha: - A whacky inclusion that was implemented well. Though I wish Goomba took the spot instead
:ultjoker: - Haven't played a Persona game but his inclusion gave me hope for more amazingly out of the box characters
:ulthero: - Well deserved as Square's second rep but I really dislike the menu system. I think they should've just split it up into 4 menus between each special each with set choices. Neutral would be projectile spells, side would be sword slashing spells, up is recovery spells and down is status inflicting spells. Also I think Erdrick should've been the primary costume
:ultbanjokazooie: - I screamed his name when I saw the jiggie and love the design and moveset. I love messing with players using the egg as they always react like it's a bigger move which gives me the opportunity to take the next strike.
:ult_terry: - Wasn't on my radar at all. But I love his moveset, how he feels, how his specials at to his combos and the GO meter.
:ultbyleth: - Disappointed. Should've been expected but still I just think FE has enough fighters. The moveset is good but I think it would fit the Monster Hunter better. Also the FE fanbase on Twitter became insufferable. It made me want nothing to do with the games.
:ultminmin - Kinda wished they went with Springman to completely destroy the Assist Trophy limitation (Mainly for Shadow) But she's cute and I like the approach. I can see why some see her as jarring though
:ultsteve: - I laughed in joy and shock when I heard the spider noise as the camera was rotating Mario. His moveset, presentation and just everything about him feels so unique. THIS is what I want more from Smash. clashing styles, variety and fun tools and toys to play with. He feels fun to use just by himself. That and he's another western fighter, the second Microsoft character and gives the Indie scene their own fighter. Also, the Enderman skin is the closest thing we've got to Slender Man being in Smash and I will gladly take it.
:ultsephiroth: - I was ok with Sephiroth. His masume and magic spells make him feel more unique that most other sword fighters. Which is kinda why I'm annoyed with sword fighters these days. Not because of the amount but the lack of variety in sword types. We don't even have a samurai but brawlers have a boxer (little Mac), wrestler (Incinaroar), martial artist (Ryu/Ken), ect. But we have so many sword fighters that weild just a normal medieval sword. It annoys me when people try to downplay this criticism as "LOL SWORD FIGHTER BAD AMIRITE" when there's a reason for it. That and most sword fighters these days don't bring in that much visual variety and just make Smash look like "Platformers X JRPGs +some other guys: The Game"

Pyra/Mythra - Speaking of which. At least they can switch between playstyles which is nice and I love strong female characters. Plus Xenoblade 2 reps were kind of obvious. But idk, I just feel disappointed. I guess I was too fixated on characters like Crash, Rayman, Ryu Hayabusa or Eggman. Still, even if I didn't have any ideas on who it could be I think I would feel the same.

There are 2 fighters left but most of the DLC is a hit or miss with only %20 being hits as the other %80 were misses. It's hard for me to stay excited after noticing that. I'll stay to see who the last 2 are but I think after that it's time to move on to another platform fighter like Indie Pogo.

I hope people don't get too mad at my opinions.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I've been mulling things over. I think Ultimate's newcomers, both DLC and base game, have objectively made a pretty good lineup overall...but the only ones that have been legitimately exciting to me personally have been Inkling, Incineroar, and sort of Steve. I know this sounds selfish, but I'd really like at least one more that I'd be excited for because they're cool to me, not just because I recognize what they contribute.

Does anyone else feel this way? Disappointed on a personal level, but happy on the general public's behalf?
Disappointed is definitely too strong a word for me, but the only ultimate newcomers I actively wanted were Isabelle and Joker. Everyone else has just been “eh, that’s nice”. And yes, I would like to see at least one more character that appeals to me personally, but if it doesn’t happen I’ll roll with the punches as always.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, I was more hyped overall for the base game additions than the DLC. DLC has had my favourite characters of the lot, but there have been a lot of valleys with the peaks.

Base had a lot of what us old timers were first drawn to with Smash: popular Nintendo characters, and third-parties that had a lot to do with Nintendo. Not gonna make proclamations that what we've received since is bad, because I don't think it is, but it's been a very inconsistent and polarizing offering for me personally, whereas base was more steady.
Honestly this sums up my feelings exactly. And I won't lie part of me wishes Smash focused more on that still. Alas.

I think the characters in my sig kind of highlight the type of characters I like in Smash. Of the DLC I was mad hype for Banjo, but apart from that I've been fairly mild. I was actually pretty hype about Hero too, unlike a lot of people lol. Though that was partially because I felt vindicated for thinking he was likely. Well Dragon Quest content anyway.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I know this sounds selfish, but I'd really like at least one more that I'd be excited for because they're cool to me, not just because I recognize what they contribute.

You're not the only one.

Although, I will say I'm more indifferent than disappointed with Pyra because I know nothing about the Xeno series (but I have heard of it)

I've got Joker, Sephiroth, Bayonetta, and Cloud. I should be set, but it's as you said, it's a selfish desire to want just one more that I want. It's human nature. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Thoughts:
  • Xenoblade has been due another character for a while now so I can't say it's not unwarranted or unexpected. I understand the fatigue with anime sword fighters, but considering what they're doing with this character(s), are from an underrepresented series, and that they're more female representation my sympathy only goes so far.
  • Rex is the new Chrom.
  • I really hope that the obvious new Legendary Spirit we get will be a Primary Spirit with three slots so it can fit both the Pyra/Mythra support spirits and make things extra extra meta. :evil:
  • This probably means we'll be getting Amiibo figures for each of them; and am guessing they will become quickly expensive.
  • I wonder if we'll finally get Xenoblade X music?
  • The new stage seems interesting. Could potentially be a legal stage at first glance depending on blastlines.
  • Xenoblade is the last currently represented 1st Party that needed another rep IMO.
  • The trailer itself was rather underwhelming. Needed more gameplay footage.
  • A KOS-MOS Mii Fighter seems like a good bet at this point, though I'd be more curious to see if they base some of Pyra/Mythra's alt colors on her.
Oof the Dixie Kong disrespect.

For real though I think you'll probably get a fair amount of pushback on that from people here. I mean personally I don't think DK rep is complete without Dixie. Also Zelda feels incomplete to me personally. As does Wario (I don't really feel like his moveset reps either WarioWare or Land terribly well tbh, and would love to see Ashley and Syrup come in to round it out). And I know a LOT of people feel a certain way about Kirby rep lol

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Okay let's talk about spirit.

Just like Min Min both Pyra and Mythra already has a spirit in the game, with the inclusion of Min Min her fighter Spirit uses a different artwork taken from one of the promo art for ARMS. From what I've seen Pythra only has 1 official artwork and the rest were concept art, the only artwork that I could find that could be considered official is this artwork from XB2 OST
and this concept art for their figurine

So what do you think is better to be used as their Fighter Spirit?

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Ayumi was considered for both 64 and Melee.
They wanted a girl character in 64 and came up with "The Girl from Famicom Detective Club". One of her special was to "show a photo".
They also thought about "The Lady from Panel de Pon" but just couldn't go for her according to them.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hear me out: Octoling. Only two Octo Expansion spirits (Octoling Girl & Octoling Boy; & Octoling Octopus), no other OE spirits like Iso Padre or CQ Cumber, no OE music...
I would be super down for this. It's honestly kinda weird that Splatoon, Nintendo's flagship modern franchise that pulls numbers comparable to the likes of Zelda and Animal Crossing, only has a single fighter.

Granted, I don't know how likely Octoling is for DLC because of the Callie and Marie costumes, but I think they are virtually guaranteed for the next Smash game. Splatoon's got major legs. By the time of the next Smash game, Splatoon 4 will likely be on the way and the franchise will be...

...around ten years old.

I honestly don't think I've ever felt older writing a sentence on this website before.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Honestly this sums up my feelings exactly. And I won't lie part of me wishes Smash focused more on that still. Alas.

I think the characters in my sig kind of highlight the type of characters I like in Smash. Of the DLC I was mad hype for Banjo, but apart from that I've been fairly mild. I was actually pretty hype about Hero too, unlike a lot of people lol. Though that was partially because I felt vindicated for thinking he was likely. Well Dragon Quest content anyway.
I was hype enough for all of the DLC, except for Steve, since I'm good at finding something to enjoy in just about anything character (I do think Steve deserves to be in the game, I just hate his aesthetic and animations..the stage and music are great!)..in terms of getting characters I really, really wanted though, I got Joker, Byleth (female), and Pyra..so I'm good.
In other news, not sure if everyone's realized this but
I adore that scene lol

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Okay let's talk about spirit.

Just like Min Min both Pyra and Mythra already has a spirit in the game, with the inclusion of Min Min her fighter Spirit uses a different artwork taken from one of the promo art for ARMS. From what I've seen Pythra only has 1 official artwork and the rest were concept art, the only artwork that I could find that could be considered official is this artwork from XB2 OST
and this concept art for their figurine

So what do you think is better to be used as their Fighter Spirit?
I think we might just get the smash renders tbh. Maybe the Figure concept or an In-game screenshot with the Background removed.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
In-game screenshot with the Background removed.
An in-game screenshot is rarely used tbh

Also, I think having them in a swimsuit could work to by pass the rating, I mean having your thigh exposed while wearing a swimsuit is something common but maybe they will need to nerf their cake for that to work

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Ayumi was considered for both 64 and Melee.
They wanted a girl character in 64 and came up with "The Girl from Famicom Detective Club". One of her special was to "show a photo".
They also thought about "The Lady from Panel de Pon" but just couldn't go for her according to them.
Do you have a source for Ayumi in 64? I know Melee was when Sakurai considered her but dropped her because of her lack of international recognizability, but I haven't heard anything for Smash 64.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"Man, this game's great and all but we should really use more women, especially as all of the DLC's been men"

Who knew this was the biggest monkey paw I'd have in Smash? A visually boring character who literally ignores the rules of the game and the literal worst choice. At least it can't get any worst, shame the direct barely had anything worthwile despite being 50 ****ing minutes

Pillow

Smash Lord
"Man, this game's great and all but we should really use more women, especially as all of the DLC's been men"

Who knew this was the biggest monkey paw I'd have in Smash? A visually boring character who literally ignores the rules of the game and the literal worst choice. At least it can't get any worst, shame the direct barely had anything worthwile despite being 50 ****ing minutes
Well, at least no one can say Sakurai hasn't taken the "need more women" criticism to heart after FP2 when we have 2 female characters getting chosen over the lead characters of their own games,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom